why am i this upset about my stolen bike?

Discussion in 'Beyond Women's Health' started by REDhcp, Sep 10, 2007.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. REDhcp

REDhcp New Member

my bike was stolen last Tuesday.. I spent over $500 on this bike last summer and i loved it.. I didn't ever actually think it would get stolen and then it did. it was locked and everything. I have looked all over i have called so many businesses and all this stuff that most people probably wouldn't do. I am depressed. When i think about it i cry, i am so mad that i don't even know what to do. so far exercise hasn't helped me and smoking pot hasn't helped. Drinking or hanging out with my friends helps me forget about it for awhile but then later when i am alone i think about it and just want to cry. I don't know what to do to stop being so angry.. i feel hopeless and i am mad at the cops for giving me a false sense of hope by telling me that most stolen bikes are just left somewhere. liars! thats bullS*IT. if someone left my bike in the grass then someone else would steal it! duh! ugh please someone help me! someone who has lost a bike and can tell me the brutal truth or help me feel a little better??

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I'm sorry your bike got stolen! Are you refocusing your anger from something else to...this bike issue? Just remember it's just a bike. And it is LONG GONE. You'll never see it again. And the cops are never helpful when it comes to stolen bikes--they are busy dealing with more serious issues. My town feels like bike theft capital of the world-- myself and everyone I know has had a bike stolen here. And if it's not stolen--meaning its locked up with two locks and several chains--the bike gets the crap beat out of it by vandals. Damn punks!!

Anyhow, if there is anything truly replaceable, it's a bike!! I know it sucks because you spent money on it, and may be feeling violated because someone stole your personal property, but this is one thing you can replace. May not be as nice as your stolen bike, may not have the same feel, but you can build new "memories" with a different bike. With your new bike, try keeping it inside at night if possible, or lock it up with 2 bike locks and a cable. Total pain, but it's better than a stolen bike! Oh, and you may be able to register your new bike through your university or the local police station--they SAY it may help to recover the bike, though likely, once gone, the bike stays gone. And finally, you can add your bike to your renter's or home insurance--you will have to pay a deductible that may not be worth it, but it's something to think about.

I don't understand why you are so angry about a stolen bike, but you have a right to feel whatever you feel. No one can tell you how to feel or how you should feel. Maybe you're working through the stages of loss and you're still on the anger stage. I would suggest just letting it go. Having your bike stolen sucks the big one, unhelpful cops are never pleasant, but maybe it would help to look at the "big picture" and see how your reaction to your stolen bike fits in.

Get a cheap used bike and start with a clean slate!

3. demon-dolly

demon-dolly New Member

You are this upset because you feel violated. You took measures to make sure nothing would happen to your bike (locking it), and yet it still went missing. Someone took your personal property.

I know how you feel. A few years ago, someone stole my hubcaps off of my old car. I was pissed. Obviously it was an old car, so obviously if I was driving that old thing then I didn't have a lot of money.

Having those hubcaps stolen pissed me off for months.

So, I understand where you are coming from.

4. Myste

Myste New Member

Red hon, I know exactly how you feel. I had my bicycle stolen off my back patio 3 years ago. I'm still pissed about it. I think the others are right, it's not the bicycle itself you're so upset over. It's the feeling of violation. That someone would DARE to steal from YOU.

I also had someone stealing from the freezer on the patio - I never imagined someone would go rummaging through someone else's freezer! I did catch the guy, and I swear he thought I was going to shoot him... it was some scruffy-looking homeless guy. I probably would have beat the crap out of him if it wasn't for the fact I was terrified - home alone at night while my BF at the time was out working.

Had I known then what he HAD taken, I might have called the cops on him. He didn't just steal convenience foods and veggies and meat and stuff, no. He stole the lobster tails I'd bought for our anniversary dinner! What an ass!

The feeling of violation will always be there, but time will ease it. If I think back to it I still feel indignant and upset, but I don't think about it often anymore. Believe me, it hurts, I was upset and shaky for a good 2-3 months after each incident, and was terrified going out alone at night even though we lived in a quiet neighborhood.

It'll ease with time, though it doesn't seem like it now.

5. curcuma

curcuma New Member

Can you tell me how a homeless guy is planning to cook frozen lobster tails? Lol.

Red, the bike is gone like the wind. It definitely sucks majorly that someone stole it, and that person is a real jerk. But you emotions are probably due to the bike being a stand-in, as desertgirl said, for something else in your life, or having reminded you of another time when you had something stolen from you that you haven't gotten over, yet.

6. REDhcp

REDhcp New Member

thanks guys/gals
    i am trying hard to get over it.. i guess it is almost winter.. and the old schwinny that i am riding is actually kinda cute.. kinda my style.. its got a headlight and taillight that run on a generator that hits the back tire.. i kinda actually love it
    but its my friends so it is only temporary
    i will make it my own for a little while and like it.. even tho i have sore butt bones

7. jeffrey_

jeffrey_ New Member

so i am not a woman posting so i hope thats ok, but i just got my bike stolen today and i feel so sad, it wasn't that expensive or amazing, but i had so many good rides on it, i am going to miss it a lot