Who's Due Jan,Feb,Mar 2013

Discussion in 'Who's Due When...' started by stardust, Jun 13, 2012.

1. iampam

iampam Active Member

8lbs 10oz today, almost back to birth weight [​IMG] She should be well over it by next week's appt, the 2 week one.

2. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Yay for both your loss and her gain! You guys are doing so great [​IMG]

3. iampam

iampam Active Member

I just need my body to heal up [​IMG] It is still uncomfortable for me to stand, and even sitting is a little uncomfortable.

I am sooo thankful that I had her right before spring break (I am coaching at my HS). We have a longer spring break than most, and most of the kids are gone during it, so I don't really need to be back until Wednesday of next week.

Double nuchal elbows is definitely proving to be a much harder recovery than the episiotomy was [​IMG] The midwives mentioned that I probably had bruising on the inside of my vagina. I didn't even know that was possible?!

4. Raunchy-Row

Yeah the little buggers can put pressure on all kinds of stuff on the way down, especially with the arms in the way, it increases the diameter so much and pushes on all sorts of things! Have you been doing sitz baths and taking ibuprofen/tylenol around the clock?

5. iampam

iampam Active Member

My mom just brought me a sitz bath, so I did one today so far. Been taking tylenol and ibuprofen, though I don't think I took any today. I'm annoyed that I still need it [​IMG] But I think I will load up on it again tomorrow and see if I feel more functional. I want to go to church on Sunday [​IMG]

6. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Oh Pam, I should have mentioned this before. SIL had an episiotomy and a doughnut cushion for mamas that I had sent to her (mine, that I didn't get any use out of due to c section) worked great for her. Hubby bought it at sears for me.

7. iampam

iampam Active Member

8. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, she's got such deep, dark hair!

9. iampam

iampam Active Member

I make hairy babies! [​IMG]

10. iampam

iampam Active Member

Weight check at 3w was 8lbs 15oz, so she's gaining very slowly (that's 1oz in a week), but no one is worried about it so I won't either. She seems fine, plenty of diapers and such.

11. BunnyGirl19

I'm pretty sure if that was my baby's gain they'd be tjreatening hospitalization and feeding tubes. They are so anal about weight gain. I can see it to some extent with RJ being a preemie, but not with Brighton.

12. iampam

iampam Active Member

Yeah the midwives are laid back about stuff, she seems fine by all other measures. I'll see them midwives at 6w, right before we move, we'll see what her weight gain is like then.

The pediatrician said she didn't seen to be seen until 2 months (shots) but we'll be moved by then, so we'll probably see the new doctor. IDK, I'd like to interview him first. There's only 1 doctor on the island (2000 residents). There are a lot of hippies there, I'm guessing he'll be OK with us delaying some vaccines, but we'll see.

I still need to get her newborn hearing screen done. They don't do it at the birth center, and I thought my pediatricians office did, but the lady on the phone was confused, they do not.

13. Raunchy-Row

Pam you can try breast compressions to see if you can get more into her and get her gaining a bit more, but if you're not having pain with feeding, you think your supply is good and she's having lots of wet & poopy (heavy wet and large poops) diapers then maybe she's just putting it into getting longer or wherever they stash it. She certainly looks beautiful!

14. iampam

iampam Active Member

I weighed her today on my postal scale with a platter on top haha. Not the most scientific thing, but it looks like she gained 2-3 oz in the past week. She still seems fine, plenty of diapers and she is very alert when she is not napping. As long as she keeps gaining, even slowly, I'm not going to worry too much about it.

I have had problems with a painful letdown. I had a lot of pain with nursing Eddie, but that was mostly a crappy latch. With her, the latch feels OK, but a minute or two into nursing, sometimes it hurts quite a bit on both sides when the letdown happens. It's starting to ease up though, it's not happening _every_ time now, so hopefully it's just a phase.

15. iampam

iampam Active Member

Had my 6w followup appointment yesterday. I seem to have healed up nicely (yay!) but Linnea definitely is not gaining enough weight. She's only gained 1-2 oz per week for the past month. Today I saw a lactation consultant. I'm just not making enough milk. Again.

I bought an SNS and am using that to supplement while nursing, although I am having mixed feelings about it. She spends more time at the boob, but I'm not sure if she is sucking as hard. Pumping after feedings when I can. Taking fenugreek. She said it's going to be harder to get my supply good enough since we are so far along.

I still have some donated milk left, so using that for now, but I'll have to switch to formula soon [​IMG]

Feeling pretty overwhelmed with everything. We are moving out of this house in 4 days. Our family is paying for a moving company that will pack things up, but I need to get rid of a ton of stuff and get stuff packed up for staying at my inlaws for a few weeks while I finish coaching.

16. BunnyGirl19

Have they ever checked your prolactin levels? Mine have always been quite low, which is why I'm a poor milk producer. You need good prolactin to make milk.

17. iampam

iampam Active Member

Nope, no one has ever mentioned it. I can ask the lactation consultant about it next week.

Last night was rough. I woke up around 4am, already feeling guilty because Linnea had slept 6 hours and they said not to let her sleep more than 5. I nursed her on both sides, but was not planning on supplementing. She ended up screaming off and on for an hour and a half. I made her a bottle but still more screaming. Finally nursed her a second time and she eventually dozed off. It was very draining for me and DH, fortunately, Eddie slept well and slept in, and she slept almost 3 hours after that so we all got a decent amount of sleep in the end.

Now back to pumping and endless nursing [​IMG]

18. BunnyGirl19

The testing was something my doctor had done because I was still having issues even with Reglan, fenugreek, pumping, nursing, etc. Otherwise I wouldn't have even thought of that as a problem. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about that so I just do the best I can for as long as I can. I also wonder if there is a stress component to low prolactin when trying to BF. My in-laws stress me out to no end and it's even worse when I have a brand new itty bitty. I'm hoping for better luck nursing this time since I've had a lot of breast growth this pregnancy (very little with RJ and I actually shrunk a little with Brighton) and I'm already starting to leak colostrum and I never really did before either.

19. iampam

iampam Active Member

Maybe the third time will be a charm for you Bunny [​IMG]

20. Raunchy-Row

Pam I don't know if you've seen this or how much research you've done into it (probably a lot if this isn't the first time!)

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

They have great tips. So does the Newman website. www.jacknewman.com

Breast compressions can really help keep baby interested and sucking well, and you might want to consider a prescription for Domperidone if you have the resources to do it. It's a medication but acts like a much stronger version of Fenugreek.

Also--using Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle as a combination instead of one on their own has been shown to increase supply better. There is a list of galactogogue foods on the kellymom website as well, there are quite a few!

To increase supply you have to also increase demand, so increasing the frequency of your pumping or feeding (especially at night, as annoying as that can be, your prolactin levels are the absolute highest at night and that's the best time to increase your supply--babies know this, hence why they want to cluster feed at night!) is a really big thing.

Sorry to hear you're running into issues [​IMG] It's a tough thing, and especially if you don't feel you have enough support. Is there someone in your family who can be around for a few days to watch Eddie and let you have a "nurse-in" so that you don't have anything else to do while you're supply building?

Also--your LC needs to have a more positive attitude. You can ABSOLUTELY build supply after the 6 week mark. My Mom does it with her clients quite a bit. But it takes a huge amount of commitment and support for the time you're creating the demand. And that depends more on your own life and all the other things you have going on (which sounds like a lot) and what your ultimate goal is. If your ultimate goal is to increase your supply, then your LC needs to be totally on board with that. Grrrr I hate it when people get wrong information!