Who here has had depression/anxiety/ocd?

Discussion in 'Mental Wellbeing' started by Tempting Toffee, Aug 12, 2008.

1. JillF

JillF Member

Doubt it would work for people with lactose intolerance.

2. novi

novi New Member

Actually, you might be interested to know that I AM lactose intolerant. LOL

Most people aren't aware that RAW unpasteurized milk contains lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose. the pasteurization process kills off the enzyme, but the lactose survives. thus, lactose intolerant people need to take a lactase tablet before ingesting milk products that have been pasteurized.

So, those of you who are lactose intolerant... and enjoy milk but don't drink it... find yourself a good source of RAW milk and you can consume it with no ill effects.

It continually amazes me how we feed millions of people in this country with degraded, nutritionally devoid products. Milk is a major one. Unadulterated, it's one of nature's superfoods. Pasteurized... it's basically empty calories.

3. Wrighto

Wrighto New Member

*hugs for everyone that wants them*

I was diagnosed as clinically depressed last year, I think, and I'm still dealing with it. It's partially triggered by issues with my parents (they're very, ah, clingy) and made worse by other life things. I'm not better yet and I won't be better for a long time, but I've been trying to read more, do more crafting, and I've been finding that on top of my medication, Vitamin D & Omega 3s and some very understanding friends have been rather helpful.

4. brs

brs New Member

I've been suffering from anxiety/depression for years, having medicine, that seems to work for most of the time.. I can only trust the medicine ordered by doctor, since i'm having liver problems.

5. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

I have been diagnosed with depression&anxiety in the past, I don't think I am currently suffering too much, but I am not quite myself still. I went off meds last year after the side-effects of lofepramine made me physically sick for 2 weeks. I have been coping through a wonderful (if stressful) job, my fantastic family&friends and plenty of sleep, fruit&veg and walking. I also build time in to my week to relax, whether its a 20min gentle walk after dinner, a candle-lit bath, a shower with my favourite scented gel or my favourite magazine, as long as I have those times each week I can survive. I have also learned to live in the moment. If I think too far ahead I feel crushed by the weight of it all, if I just say "Ok what do I need to do right now this second?" then I can cope.

Wishing everybody the best of health in the future [​IMG] You can conquer anything, it just takes time and energy.

6. brs

brs New Member

pills can have lots of side effects

7. Almond_Joy

Almond_Joy Member

I don't know why, but I find it really interesting that these three disorders have such strong relationships with each other.

In trying to pin down exactly what was going on with me, i ended up doing a lot of online research. Some of my symptoms were common of depression, but not enough for me to think it was really the main issue, so I kept digging. I've only recently stumbled onto what I think is the crux of my issue - obsessive thinking. This is not the same as full blown OCD, because I don't engage in any compulsive external behaviors or rituals, but I often subject myself to recurring destructive or irrational thought patterns. From what I've read, obsessive thinking can be considered a manifestation of anxiety, like a type of anxiety disorder. In looking back over the last 3 to 5 years, I can see how it contributed/fueled my depression, and still inhibits me from really enjoying my life.

Since obsessive thinking can be a significant facet of any of these disorders, I wanted to share some resources I've recently discovered that have really helped me to do a lot of effective work on myself to deal with this:

A) The website/blog mindfulconstruct.com. I mentioned this site to M-Chan earlier in another thread in this forum, so I'm just going to copy my summary of the site from that post here:

"I can't say it deals specifically with depression - more with emotional balance and being able to healthily respond to/process life's challenges. The owner of the blog is like a grad student in psychology or psychotherapy, so there's a lot of research and academic study backing up what she's saying. And many of the posts tie into or reference one another which I think is really cool because it's a reminder that whatever issue you're dealing with isn't necessarily related to one isolated factor, and that a strong understanding of several factors helps to developed a more effective and well sustained recovery response that works for each individual."

I'd recommend scrolling down to the bottom, past the more recent posts, and checking out the recommended articles in right hand sidebar to start off - the blogs on the front page now are more topical.

B) A book called "Too Perfect: When Being in Control Gets Out of Control", Authors Dewyze and Mallinger, published 1993. This book was written for obsessive thinkers, is very straightforward and practical in that it gives you really thorough explanations of why your thoughts....go the way they go, and how you can catch yourself and stop it. I get so excited reading this book, because it's like the authors have pulled several of my most common thought processes right out of my head and printed them on paper. I keep thinking, "This is awesome - SOMEONE understands exactly what I'm thinking, why I'm thinking it, and what's really driving me to think this way."

A couple other things.....I'm not on any medication, and I definitely see progress with the therapy and independent work I'm doing. I'm really encouraged by it. BUT a lot of what I read says these kind of disorders are hereditary, therefore genetic in a way. There's no history of depression in my family that I'm aware of, but I still sometimes worry that in the long run this may not be something I can beat by force of will because it's biological, and if I can't beat this with therapy and self-help, I may be chemically or hormonally "imbalanced" and may need adjustments with medication to sustain a functional lifestyle. I guess what I'm trying to get to is that a desire or force of will can only do so much to help beat these disorders if there's a serious chemical or hormonal imbalance.

One other thing I wanted to say is that these disorders are complex and very permeating, and although tackling one major event or idea that triggers a recurrence of symptoms may subdue or take a lot of fuel out of the disorder's influence......I don't think it ever fully goes away or gets eradicated, you know? It's always gonna be something you have to be watchful of, and vigilant in keeping in check, I think. I'm just glad there are a lot of tools and people and information out there to help deal with it.

Hope someone finds these resources helpful.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

8. Ryan Kathleen

Ryan Kathleen New Member

I know the original post to this topic was quite a few years ago, but I will still post my reply. It felt actually very comforting to see that someone else is going through the same combination of things as well. It is unfortunate and I am sorry, but sometimes it feels like you're alone. I have severe anxiety, chronic ocd, I have depression at times, but more or less it is because of the ocd, and I just developed psychosis in the past year. Honestly I smoked tree for a very long time and quit about a month ago and it feels a million times better being off of such a thing. I did it to deal with anxiety when in all reality it was making it much worse and I believe the reason I developed psychosis. I've had OCD since my earliest memory of being a little kid, but my mother had it, as well as her mother. That is the hardest to deal with and after my father died, I keep trying to tell myself, bad things are going to happen, it is life, and I have to deal. It's easier said than done.

I've been to psychiatrists, therapists, but they jacked me up on too many benzo's and pills, so I stopped going to them and tapered and came off all of my psychiatric medications. I am also doing a million times better without any of those medications.

To feel is to heal, to go through the pain is to get to the other side and feel better again. I know sometimes medication can be helpful, but at times it's like putting a bandaid over an unhealing wound.

If anyone does have any tips on how to conquer OCD or tips on how to lessen the effects of OCD, please let me know. That is my biggest trouble. I know it's the most stupid, irrational thing ever, but it is a real thing. My boyfriend has a hard time understanding it at times and gets upset, but I don't choose to have it, or be this way. I don't think anyone wants anxiety or any form of mental illness.

I've also been unemployed for over a year and I totally think that is taking a toll and making my anxiety a lot worse. I am having a lot of trouble sleeping and even got put on Ambien, which I am not proud of taking at all.

9. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

OCD is primarily an anxiety based disorder from what I understand, so it makes sense that you suffer with both simultaneously. Depression can come from all sorts of things, it can just 'be', but it is commonly caused by long term stress and frustration, such as having to live with constant anxiety... In turn depression as the main diagnosis can cause anxiety by making situations seem much worse/scarier than they are, coupled with remembering bad things over good you wind up enforcing negative experiences to the point where they can make you anxious. Thats my opinion anyway.

My opinion on meds is: they can save lives but they are a short term solution, long term ideal is to be able to control your mind/thoughts by yourself, meds aren't great for the body in the long-term and don't do our confidence any good (every worried you will forget them/run out? not pleasant eh?)

don't, however feel bad about taking any kind of meds, they are there to be used when they can help. if you need meds to help you sleep for a while, thats fine its better than suffering insomnia which will make your mental state worse, and could make it even harder to recover.

My first point of call for all mental illness is physical health, are you in a reasonable condition? If you have any underlying physical problems or anything worrying you, go get it treated and keep up any treatment you need. Try and improve your diet, try and eat regularly and aim for lots of different vegtables and fruits, and if you can, wholemeal carbs, like wholemeal bread pasta, wholegrain rice&cereals and potaotoes with their skins. These foods help provide you with plenty of vitamins and minerals which your body needs to heal any chemical issues, they also help your immune system and general health. Wholmeal food is good because it provides steady long lasting energy so your blood sugar doesn't spike and then fall. You might want to look in to vitamin pills, and oil suppliments especially if you (like me) are a fussy eater or don't like a whole section of food (for instance I can't stand fish!). You can take some herbal suppliments which a herbal/natural doctor can recommend, its up to you if you want to take that path.

Excesice is important, but it doesn't have to be traumatic. Simple things can work, going for a walk or swim, going to a gym or working out in your house with a video or music on (tins and bottles make great weights and you can do sit-ups and push ups without buying any equipment). Try and do something each day if you don't already, even if it is a 10min walk, it is something positive.

work out what helps you relax. Do you like baths? incense? massages? having your hair/nails/face done? or reading? there must be at least 1 activity that chills you out a little, and work on it. If you really can't think of anything then you can try some new hobbies? I love knitting for example and it is really cheap to get started, crochet is fun, learning an instrument (you can borrow/rent something expensive but singing or playing something cheap like a basic guitar or harmonica is just as good) once you find it, build on it. Don't let it rule your life, but just allow that time to occur on a regular basis (once a day, once a week whatever works for you).

as for the lack of employment, I was in the same boat not so long ago, it sucks, I feel you there. Try voluntary work at a charity, there are loads of jobs which don't require you to answer phones/speak to people if you don't enjoy that, you can sort clothes behind the scenes in a shop or pack supplies for aid or helping sick animals, whatever works for you, and since it is a charity there is no pressure to be on time or even make a regular commitment. It will get you out meeting people and feeling purposeful, and it looks great on a CV when you do apply for paid work.

Finally, keep posting on here, I for one love a good moan about things and nobody has told me off (yet!) so any time you want to let something out or get it off your chest just tap away, you could even start a diary, journal or blog if that would work for you [​IMG]

10. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

PS sorry for the essay!

11. peterjj2

peterjj2 New Member

I think this is an excellent discussion. I have suffered from both OCD and Depression from an early age. I think the first time I remember having OCD experiences was the 3rd grade! Over the years (I am now 30) I have dealt with OCD and depression. You learn to come up with ways to deal with things. It's important to understand that this all comes in waves. Sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad. BUT YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT!!! I was doing well for 8 years straight and just last week had a MASSIVE flare up. But you know what? I recognized this and knew that "Hey it's my OCD again let's get some help" I made an appointment with my old therapist and I go tonight at 6 and cannot wait! I will most likely go back on medication and work through the program. Sometimes admitting your problem and accepting help is half the battle! People hang in there! WE will all get throught this. For me it's best to stand up to the little battles first. I fight the small compulsions because then it's easier to win the bigger ones. I someimes LOL as I'm doing this. My therapist told me a long time ago to give your OCD a name, and talk to it. I visualize a STOP SIGN take a step back and say "This is ridiculous, you know what it is and I'm gonna move on". Once I get that big victory over a hard obssession I feel GREAT witht the rest. It's also good to know that WE are NOT alone! There are millions and millions of people fighting this together. Medication and therapy gets better every year and we are making huge strides in fighting this. My recommendation is to not fight this by yourself, get help! There are wonderful, educated people around that can make a BIG differnce in your life. I used to always talk to my parents about it and they gave good adivce but it's an ENTIRELY different experience for me to hear adivce from a trained professional that understands what's going on inside your brain. I even had trouble admitting things to my therapist and to others out of fear that it would come true. NOW I dont hold back (it's one of those small victories). I think a release of all your fears to someone is sooooo therapeutic. People hang in there, I LOVE ALL OF YOU, WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!!!!! YOU and I will all get better. Peace out my friends!

12. qizi

qizi New Member

well glad to here!

13. Bleu-Yeux Man

Bleu-Yeux Man New Member

You're never alone, Tempting Toffee. I've had clinical depression and anxiety attacks since I was 14. 1 in 4 people will develop a mental illness at some time in their life and there is a fantastic wealth of support networks, like this one that will help you cope a bit better.

Have you been to see a doctor about this yet? I'd reccommend it if you haven't because they can definitely help you get whatever help it takes to help you get through it. The fantastic thing about this age we live in is that depression is not treated as a joke by medical professionals and it's most definitely not your fault. A lot of people have a bad attitude towards depression, usually because it scares them through lack of understanding of the disease. The important thing is for you to find the people who will be understanding and compassionate.

Depression is difficult to live with, but I have found that councelling and support have helped me to live my life and cope a thousand-fold better than I used to. Depression sucks, but it's not a burden that cannot be helped.

If you ever want somebody to chat to, don't hesitate to message me. Even if you just want some pointers or advice from somebody who has a lot of experience with treatment. Some things work, and others don't work so well. But there's such a wide range of treatments that it's worth everything to keep trying until you find the one that works for you. It took me 4 years of struggling but things do get better.

I hope that you will feel better as soon as possible. I'll always be about to chat and this forum will definitely give you a lot of support. *Big Hug* I'm rooting for you =)

14. spaldingswife

spaldingswife New Member

That is so true. I'm currently in the middle of depression. I used to isolate myself in my room all of the time with ice cream until I gained 6 pounds and thought of suicide. That thought was my turning point. Now, I'm outside, doing sport, taking part in activities, just keeping myself occupied. It helps and so does a friend to do everything with.

15. Ahni

Ahni New Member

I've been suffering from depression, panic attacks and ocd since I can remember. But it didn't reach it's peek until October 2003.I started seeing a psychiatrist and was put on Paxil 20ml and Klonopin. I'm trying to come off of the Paxil for a year now so I've reduced the dosage slowly and am now on 10ml a day. But I reduce this to 5ml per day to get my body adjusted to living without it.
    I'm doing better these days and actually getting out of my house more often (I'm agoraphobic too).
    When my issues peaked in 2003 trying to tell myself that it was okay and it was time to take extra care of myself was the hardest thing to do.
    Keep at it. That's the best thing you can do. Don't give up believing that you can beat it.

16. Deethatsmee

Deethatsmee New Member

I have social anxiety with general anxiety with panic attacks, OCD and major depression and most days I just want to die! I have had social anxiety since my teens and am now 34. Lived with it until 4 months ago when I stopped smoking (read that smoking is a form of self medication) and then I got suicidal and decided to get help. On medication now and I still have very bad days, but with good days in between. Trying to hang in there, will keep all of you in my heart and know that. I am not the only one struggling! Hugs and kisses to all.

17. AnnaM

AnnaM Member

ah, a familiar story: I will share mine, not as a competition, but more so you get that you are so not alone.
    I have a history anorexia nervosa, major depression, anxiety, appallingly low self esteem and was diagnosed about 13 years ago with Bipolar for which I was heavily medicated. I was on Epilim 100mg BD for a while, then swapped to Quitiapin 200mg BD and Veneflexin 300mg daily plus Diazepam 10mg prn. I am not on any thing now. I have worked really hard to work with my illness and not against it. I am not on the mood stabilisers anymore (and stable) my weigh is apparently good for a woman of my age ( not far off 50) and I manage a busy household and work in a major tertiary obstetric hospital... Bugger me, but it is so hard. NOT a single minute of my life is not consumed by the very loud voice in my head ( occasionally outside of it too- I get help then) is not reinforcing the refrain that I am Fat, Ugly and Stupid, that my children/family/boyfriend would not all be better off and have happier lives if I was dead. I take out my stashed meds and count them, I do the med calculations for how much I would need to do 'the deed', I feel for veins and arteries ( I know where they are) I play with the knives.. THEN I thank that voice for sharing, breath and then do all the stuff I need to do to stay well. Put the knives away, carefully put the pills away, find another occupation for my fingers. I look at baby photos of my beautiful children, the most completely great thing I've ever done. Left to my own devices I would live under the covers of my bed, but I get up walk the dog, try and get good food and sleep, see my therapist, recognised all the many triggers that can and do set me off. I don't try and avoid them, but try and tackle them one by one. I try and usually fail at being kind to and about myself. This is the very hardest thing apart from the endless treacle weight of deprssion's pull towards emptiness is trying to focus on throwng myself a little shred of compassion. IT has taken me decades to get to this place. I still have days when I just call it a day and retreat, let the black dog get a good hold of my throat and submit. Those days get further apart and last weeks instead of months. I share my feelings and let people know what the state of play is. Even at work. Those of us who have the black dog follow us as our constant companion are strong and brave even when it feels like the opposite.
    My beautiful eldest daughter has major anxiety and is recovering from anorexia as well, my experiences have proved invaluable in helping "talk her out of the trees" (as we say in our house). I have over the phone from work talked her into a safe place so many times. I couldn't have done that without my expeience. I gave up the idea of being cured, but like a cranky old aunt, I am learning to walk along side my mental health issues. Safety plans, learn my limitations.... thanks for this thread, it felt really good putting my feelings on paper, so to speak. I would love to hear how you guys are doing.....

18. Kcometh

Kcometh Member

i had anxiety this past semester of college. never experienced it in my life..frightened me. now i know how to cope n stay happy

19. Steve Jhonson

Steve Jhonson New Member

My friend had these depression and stress issues for which he consumed Paxil 20mg, it proved quite effective and by six months he was again distressed and relieved.