Who here has had depression/anxiety/ocd?

Discussion in 'Mental Wellbeing' started by Tempting Toffee, Aug 12, 2008.

1. New Leaf

New Leaf New Member

I have had depression ever since my mother passed when I was 12. My husband has helped me with that and most of the time I am fine. I have an obsessive personality and obsess about one thing or another from time to time. I have very bad social anxiety. Anytime I am around a lot of people I sweat and start to breathe shallowly and almost pass out. Not fun.

2. New_Explorer

New_Explorer New Member

I think I've had depression for twenty years, it was diagnosed right when my first marriage broke up. Since then I have not felt "depressed" per se, but I do find myself somewhat self- oh, what's the word? when you do things that may hurt you but you just don't care? take silly risks because you don't care enough about yourself, stuff like that. I also can't care about my house or how I look. I have no motivation. But I have motivation for other things, so I dunno.

I developed anxiety about ten years ago, when I started questioning my religion. Leaving it was extremely stressful and I think sometimes I suffer PTSD from it. I get a panic attack when the phone rings and I don't know who it is. I feel "doom" in my gut when I go places where I might be recognized by old friends.

And just yesterday I felt like my stress levels might turn into a nervous breakdown. I was not thinking clearly, and had the strong desire to just throw EVERYTHING away. Which would be bad because some of the stuff I was thinking of throwing away is important.

3. demon-dolly

demon-dolly New Member

Unfortunately, my depression is rearing it's ugly head again. I am still on my meds, my doctor is thinking of increasing them, although I thought I was on the maximum amount for this type that I take?

Regardless, life is becoming a difficult struggle again, and my anxiety is out of control. I am obsessing over things, find that I am constantly lost in my thoughts, and not 'present' in the moment. I am not sure if you can understand what I mean by this.

4. New_Explorer

New_Explorer New Member

Absolutely!

I remember the word I was looking for! "Self-Destructive". I swear my vocabulary went on vacation and didn't even send a postcard.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

5. WhoMe?

WhoMe? New Member

There is a huge history of depression in my family. My dad is Bi-Polar, Mom has tried to commit suicide so many times I lost count, and my sister is on medication for depression. I have had a few really "black times" throughout my life but usually can bounce back without medication. Only twice have I been on any type of medication and I did wean myself off after a year on them. I do tend to slip into a black mindset but usually if I take time alone and really exercise I don't fall deep. The scariest was after my second child and I had Post Partum Psychosis so I ended up in lock down for 72 hours. I don't remember much about that time except I felt like I was on the outside looking into my body.

6. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

Dolly, I completely understand!

7. EnoughAlready

EnoughAlready Active Member

I'm not sure that I'm ever present in the moment, really, unless I'm doing something that requires a lot of activity, like when I was a waiter. Even when I did construction, my mind would wander when I'd be depressed, and that could be dangerous.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013

8. PhotoDog44

PhotoDog44 Member

I am always in the dump, people write books about the childhood I had, I was severely beaten. Now since my accident in 03 I have 3 fused verts in my back and permanent nerve damage in my leg and pelvis from the surgery. I need to go back on meds cause I don't always have good thoughts. Sorry for venting.....

9. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

Photo, don't apologise. Flippin hec, I'd have said sorry a billion times in that case. Have you thought about CBT?

10. Mooninite

Mooninite New Member

I was diagnosed with depression in my high school years. I developed agoraphobia 2 years ago, and didn't leave my house for almost a full year. I am very happy to say, i have recovered from it, and find that my anxiety is not taking over my life anymore.

I am currently on Effexor for my depression/anxiety but it does nothing for the depression.

I am just happy to be able to walk outside my house again.

11. pinkdoodler

pinkdoodler New Member

Has anybody tried hypnotherapy?
    A friend from work had it and I'm really considering it! Not just for depression but for my irrational paranoia and low self esteem.

12. indefatigable

indefatigable New Member

Eek! Sorry, I'm new here, and I keep posting on old topics if I have information to share!

My husband has fought depression for years, it runs in his family. I have had anxiety problems for years, and have just gone off birth control to see if that helps.

I was on buspar for awhile, but it didn't help. Now, I try yoga, diet, eliminating coffee and lessening sodium and such to help. Also a lot of water! A little bit of therapy helps through really rough patches. I think I've always had it (rough childhood, and etc.) but the birth control made it go out of control.

My husband is sick of cycling through meds to find one that works for him and doesn't take him out of commission. St. John's Wort is supposed to be the best thing, but it does interact with some meds, so you need to talk to your doctor if you are on anything. Otherwise, Omega 3's for sure. You can get it in walnuts and flax seeds/oil. Also, try some holistic things like acupuncture. The thing about acupuncture is that you need to go often for the results to last longer. The first time, the effects wear off quickly, the more times you go, the longer the effects last. So it can get expensive.

13. festus

festus New Member

I had depression right after losing most of my family member in three years, then followed that by getting a divorce. To this day, holidays are a reminder of what I lost.
    I went from a full house to being alone.
    We can either decide to be depressed or fight it by getting active in groups, sporting events, booster clubs and after all of that it helps. First find out why you are so depressed. You have to face it head on to defeat it. For example if it is being over-weight go to the local high school wresting coach. These people are experts in losing weight and a lot cheaper than the weight loss clubs. Make losing weight your focus.
    If it is problems in a relationship, again locate the problem. Are you picking the right people who are right for you? We really have to fix ourselves before we can help others.
    The loss of my parents, grand-parents is something that just is a part of life and I know that. I guess in my mind, they are really never gone if I think about them often.
    What other depressions are there? Job, where you live, sometimes our minds just get full of thoughts and they bring us down.
    Discover a hobby to get your mind involved in other things. Paint, draw, poetry, learn to play a guitar, gardening is good. Learn how to be able to " hang up your problems and leave them at work " so to speak.
    Life is too short to be depressed. Seek happiness, laughter does wonders, so get a movie that is funny to you, watch comedies. stand up comedians. We can take a lesson from the movie " Patch Adams" in which Robin Williams plays a doctor who makes patience laugh even though they have a terminal disease. Don't overestimate the power of laughter. It makes people feel good and really effects them in a positive way.

14. festus

festus New Member

I also experienced anxiety right after my divorce. I smoked two packs a day and I don't smoke. I picked up the habbit to fight the stress but I changed from smoking to jogging. Forcing the anxiety out of me, when I feel anxiety I exercise and burn it out of me. Really exercise is the best thing way to fight it, maybe even burn built up energy that need to be released. No one is to old or young for some form of exercise and the more anxiety you feel, the more you should work your body.
    I was up to jogging about 2 miles a day and I still jog just to maintain good health. You can feel the stress come off you and when you are finished jogging or working out. You are relaxed.
    When I am stressed sex or exercise is the best remedy for it. Kids are rarely stressed because they are either playing, skipping rope, playing soccer or basketball and they are always on the go.
    They might get stressed if they have to do a book report in front of the class or something simular but then they go to recess or gym class and it is gone. They run it off.

15. StLGaL

StLGaL New Member

About 5-6 years ago when I was with my Ex I was on low dose of Zoloft for depression/mild anxiety.

Mine wasn't severe and I haven't been on med's for years but I still have my moments. I'm a What-if thinker, Im always saying what if this happens, or what if this, and what if that, and I used to worry about everything! I still do worry a lot but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I think some of the things were contributed by my asshole ex.

I have my moments where I will get into a depressed mode, and start thinking of how crappy my life is and where I think I'll never have a house, never have a baby, never lose weight, never finish school, never have money ,etc. So I know what it's like.

(((Hugs to everyone with depression/anxiety, etc)))

16. demon-dolly

demon-dolly New Member

How could you not take medication for all of this?

Seriously.

Because, if you had cancer or diabetes, would you not take medication? Or, would you feel that you would just 'grow out of it'?

To me, not looking after your mental health, whilst being diagnosed with these illnesses, is completely irresponsible.

Also, to put this load on your bf, even though you say he is very patient, understanding, etc.... you know your irrational behaviour will eventually wear him down as well.

Look after yourself, do the grown up thing, and get some meds.

17. Myste

Myste New Member

I've lived with depression for 15 years. My parents wouldn't let me go to counseling or get medication, they didn't approve of either. I tried to get help but the closest I could get at school was a drug/alcohol counselor.

After a suicide attempt at 19, a friend took me to the hospital and tried to get me help. The psychiatrist I was seeing put me on prozac, which made things worse. He(state appointed pro bono psych) also left for a day without telling his replacement about my appointment and said replacement refused to see me when I came in. I never went back, and quit the medication on my own.

I suffered with it for another 7 years before trying again. About 2 years I finally went back into counseling. My Dr. put me on Lexapro. Lexapro helped, it didn't fix the problems but it helped me step back and see what was wrong. Unfortunately I stopped the medication and stopped going due to some other things, and couldn't get back in thanks to the county.

I've been able to hide the depression and keep it at bay for a long time. Things started deteriorating again last summer. Before I could make myself get help again, life got in the way.
    When I got pregnant my depression got out of control again and I spent the first trimester wishing I could just crawl into a cave and not emerge until after the baby was born. Now things are better again, but I know that this isn't going to go away, and I'll be getting counseling and watching closely for PPD after the baby's here, and going back on medication as soon as I can safely do so.

18. Slvrtide

Slvrtide New Member

I have to agree. When I went on Prozac it was hard at first to admit that I needed it but when I saw what my problems were doing to my family and friends, it was the easy and right thing to do to take it. I was lucky, I was able to go off eventually but there's nothing wrong with staying on meds if it'll help.

19. demon-dolly

demon-dolly New Member

Myste, it took 7 medications and 3 years before we found what meds work for me.

Please, be aware of the possibility of PPD, and if you ever need to talk, please feel free to PM me. I have lived it, and survived.

20. Myste

Myste New Member

Thanks Dolly. I know I'm at risk for it and am keeping an eye on things.