What got you started on cloth diapering?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Confused-Hasya, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Dear friends,

I was reading the CD thread, and it got me thinking - so many of us on here CD our children. It seems that we're disproportionately represented on here.

Makes me curious. What made you all decide on cloth?

As for me -

I was pregnant when I moved to this city. An experienced mom had invited some of us newcomer-moms to her place and everyone was discussing diapering options, and CD/disposable/organic disposables came up. Then, I found Bummis store. Saw their kit and bought the diapers on a whim. And here we are, 16 months from start of CDing and still are here. Of course, during pregnancy, I would occasionally come to the parenting forum, and I saw that there was a CD thread. I am not sure if my motivation was environmental or hygiene or cost, but I used the cost one with DH for sure. Now, he hates the smell of sposies, lol!

That's my story. What's yours?

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

It just seemed to make more sense than disposables. Before I even started to read parenting books and parenting boards, I knew I was going to cloth diaper--I thought it'd be through a diaper service or gerber plastic pants! And you know the rest...I went online, saw what cloth diapers actually were, and was hooked!

3. iampam

iampam Active Member

I don't remember how it started. It was years before I was TTC, I think before I was even married. I saw FuzziBunz and fell in LOVE. Wish I had explored more before I bought so many, but it's rather overwhelming at first.

We have some unique things going on that make cloth diapering make even more sense than for most. We pay a flat rate for all of our utilities, so we don't have any extra cost there. We also don't have garbage collection where we live, so DH has to take the trash to work with him. Poopy diaper trash... yuck!

4. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

My SIL was the first person I met that used cloth, I was so perplexed. I could not imagine how anyone would want to to that, and eww, what about hygiene?
    But then I got so curious after I got pregnant. And I read some in the cloth diapering thread here. I ordered a dozen cheap China-diapers with the goal of doing cloth 50/50. That was my first step towards insanity. Since then, MANY diapers have come and gone.
    I still want to buy more, try another brand or model, or even another system. I don't know why they are so much fun, they just are!

5. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I always thought disposables were ugly and at least wanted to cover them up with something to hide them. And then I figured if I was going to make some form of diaper cover, why not just cloth diaper at the same time because it's much healthier and less chemicals. Then I discovered "modern" cloth diapers and was totally intrigued and decided to try making my own (before I even had kids) and have now redesigned my patterns for ones that work better. I just wish I had way more free time to sew them.

6. Confused-Hasya

Nice! Not only am I curious to know about everyone's reasons, I just realized after reading all of your reasons, that I would like to use these to convince people to use cloth. Soooo many people around me are having babies these days!

Are y'all fine with my using your reasons? Not identifying you anyway, which also means that I cannot give you credit. I am NOT going to use it for my own gain. Just to tell people how nasty disposables are...

7. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

I haven't used cloth yet (was told they were a pain when I had my son, and was too sick to argue) When I am allowed to start TTC I will be purchasing a bunch of modern one size all in one cloths. Cost alone should be a HUGE factor for any new parent, you can spend upwards of £300 on disposables in the first year, a set of cloths from birth-potty training cost £60, and its a 1 off payment. Score!

8. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I somehow totally missed this thread!

Anyway, I went cloth purely from a cost perspective. I bought some disposable diapers for a friend as part of a gift when her baby was born before I was even pregnant and couldn't believe the price, even with a coupon! Then learning that that pack of diapers would only last a few days was enough to make up my mind! The health and environmental benefits were just bonus. I decided to start with the Bum Genius and ordered 4 of them to start soon after finding out I was pregnant. My plan was to order in small quantities to spread out the cost over a few months instead of taking the hit all at once. After getting them and inspecting them I thought that they didn't look that hard at all to make, so then my quest to find materials started. I ordered up a bunch of materials, basically copied the pattern and that filled the rest of my stash. I have since ventured to try different brands since my little mega pee-er leaks out of EVERYTHING (including disposables). I'd still rather deal with the leaks with cloth than stinky, yucky, chemical-ridden disposables!

9. iampam

iampam Active Member

I have a friend trying them out with her newborn son. I loaned her my newborn stash. She was attracted by the cost savings and the CUTEness!

10. Aminita

Aminita New Member

It may seem a little late to reply to this post but it is near and dear to my heart.

I used disposables with my first 2 children. I didn't even think of the options. When I was pregnant with my last one my life was totally different. I had just left an abusive husband and the fact to that I was having another child was not planned. When I was about 5 months pregnant, I was downsized from my job, and I spent the remainder of my pregnancy at home. I spent a lot of time reading during this time. I heard something about g-diapers, so I looked into them. They were really cute but a little more than I wanted to spend and, since they were not one size, I felt they were more high maintenance. I did more research and ended up finding that A one size all in one pocket diaper was right for my needs. Cost played a big factor in why I decided to CD but When I read about some of the environmental factored that played into disposables I was appalled. the one that got me was that fact that it take one disposable 500 YEARS to biodegrade in a landfill. I was so taken aback. I started thinking about my children and grandchildren and their children. What kind of world are we leaving them. So.... if nothing else, I am doing my small part.

Thank you
    (steps down from soapbox)
    [​IMG]

11. Confused-Hasya

Aminita, thanks for telling your story. I hope you have a job now and glad that you're no longer with your abusive ex.

You're right! Leaving piles of landfill filling up the world for the future generations to deal with is what put me off disposables too.