Vegetable Medley Stew

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by Raunchy-Row, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

So C and I have been making this stew non-stop for like the past two weeks! It's freezeable, can be left to simmer for an hour or so, and you can chop the veggies as small or large as you want. I love it because I can make it with things left over in the fridge!

You'll need:

1 onion
    2 potatoes
    2 or more carrots
    1 can chickpeas
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    Vegetable bouillon (either pre-mixed or in cubes to add to the water--you can use chicken broth too, I'm sure!)
    broccoli, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, or anything else you can think of!

Chop all the ingredients fairly coarsely. Stick them in your biggest pan with a minced clove of garlic and toss them in olive oil a few times.

Add the tomatoes, broth (or water and cubes) and start simmering!

If I feel like it needs to be more "meaty" I add a whole small or medium squash (either butternut or acorn) which gives it that "filling and meaty" feeling. If you want more flavor, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.

When it's almost done, taste it--add a bit of sugar if it's too salty, and optionally, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, a shaking of paprika or cayenne (start small, this stew really picks up the flavor!) and a smattering of red pepper flakes. Cook for another 20 minutes or so--it's done when stuff starts to fall apart.

Serve with a green salad, or toasted bread and butter, and grate some old cheddar on top or sprinkle some parmesan if you'd like. I often eat this without anything at all because it's so full of flavor. The cinnamon is something we recently added just to see what it would taste like, and I find it makes it unbelievably good!

2. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

This sounds delicious...I definitely think I will have to add this to next weeks meal plan... As a student something like this (that is freezable and not overly expensive) is great!

And I bet its nice on cold winter days [​IMG]

Do you think leaving out the crushed tomatoes would make a huge difference? I'm not supposed to eat tomatoes so that would be my only issue.

3. Raunchy-Row

Lanata, I'm sure you could opt out of the tomato. It just makes it thicker and a bit more flavorful but you can experiment with all kinds of spices and just use the broth! Add more squash and potato to make it thicker.

4. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

I'll mess around with it a little and let you know how it goes. I will definitely be adding squash to it. I am always excited to try new recipes!! [​IMG]

5. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

Just curious if there is a certain quantity of vegetable bouillon that you use as a quantity hasn't been listed.

6. Raunchy-Row

I usually use 2 cubes or one whole tetrapac of the liquid mixed stuff [​IMG] It's really to taste--if you're doing low sodium, use one cube for a huge pot and supplement with other stuff. If you don't care about the sodium, do two and add a bit of sugar to offset the salt, I find it's tastier [​IMG]