Tips and Tricks for making my own baby food?

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by Alluring-Ash, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so this time around I am making almost all of my baby food at home. I think I am going to go with the ice cube tray and freezer bags for 1 week supply. I would love some tips or tricks to make this easier if anyone has any....

Also I have read that carrots are one food that should not be made at home because of the high nitrate levels, is this the same for organic carrots?

THANKS!!

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Making your own food is super easy. I never did freeze anything for convenience, so no tips there. We had lots of bananas, avocados, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, stuff that was easy to mush, steam or bake in the oven. It feels like it's been forever, so I can't remember very much!

Yes, it's true for even organic carrots...and I think spinach too.

3. iampam

iampam Active Member

4. Alluring-Ash

Hmmm..Good to know! Thanks! [​IMG]

So far I have made some green beans to freeze since my parents have TONS in the garden! I don't mind making the super easy ones ready to feed(avocado and banana), but ones that require time to bake or steam I worry will be a bit tough with a 2 year old at foot. I figure even frozen as long as I am using them the same week ( even though "they" say up to 3 months would be fine... ) I would just like to have some stuff handy in a pinch. I didn't even think to try broccoli! Might not be as bad as I think to just make most of it while making his food.... I guess time will tell!

5. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Sorry I don't have any advice, as I only made my own baby for for about a week before something had to give with being back at work. Unfortunately, that was the thing I gave up! I'll be watching this thread though looking for advice as well since it is something I want to do with this next one, especially since I will most likely be home for this one to start solids. So please share anything you learn!

6. iampam

iampam Active Member

Ash, I plan to try baby-led weaning. You might also look into that, it seems like less work, but since I haven't tried either I can't say for sure!

7. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am currently making pears for RJ at his pedi's recommendation. It's super easy and quick. I peel the skin off, cut into cubes, steam in my Babycook for 10 minutes (when the light goes off to say it's done), and then puree it for a total of 20 seconds. One pear is currently lasting me 4-5 days. I haven't made other foods at this time. At least so far I've found it quick and easy to prepare food for him. It'll be another month before I start attempting to feed any other foods to him.

8. Alluring-Ash

Thanks guys!

I have so far made: apples, pears, sweet potato, butternut squash, green beans, avocado, banana, mango and peaches.

Green Beans kinds suck because of the string.... Ugh!

Most are pretty easy!! I have an Oster steamer and it cooks the stuff in under 15 minutes! I use a chopper and it purees pretty quick, dump into ice cube trays and cover with glad wrap for a few hours and into double zip lock bags! Voila!

I want to try broccoli ( even bought some ) but I am worried about gas.... ?? Thinking of waiting a while for that.

She is also pretty good with food ( This kids EATS!!!!! [​IMG] I thought N liked food, WOWZERS! ( I'm talking like 5 cubes of food per serving AFTER the boob!! ) She chews/gums food pretty well and I have been giving her chunks of banana and avocado and offer her more as she gets better.

9. BunnyGirl19

What a little piglet!!! LOL

10. msjackiedt

msjackiedt New Member

I made all of Kymbers food for awhile but she outgrew wanting baby food really fast, I guess because she got all of her teeth so fast! My fave were sweet potatoes [​IMG] I used these little condiment/snack containers to freeze them in. They had different color lids so I could do one color each week. The whole baby bullet idea is great but what a rip off when you can use a blender and little containers from the dollar store!

11. BunnyGirl19

I like the cute Baby Bullet containers with the happy faces but to buy them you have to buy a bunch of other stuff I don't want/need. I love the Beaba silicone trays that freeze in 2 oz portions. They pop out super easy. I love my Babycook and even though people say it's expensive and unnecessary, I love it. It's small and compact and both steams and blends/chops in the same appliance. It's totally worth it to me. A couple days ago I made sweet potatoes (not the orange yam things), carrots, peaches, peas, pineapple, and pears. I froze them into cubes to pull out for feedings now and with RJ being a little pig with solids tje 2 oz cubes are just right.

12. MizzAmber

MizzAmber New Member

I just started my little one on solids and have been making my own baby food as well.

We haven't gotten into anything fancy, just apples, pears, bananas ( she's not a fan) and sweet potatoes (those are her favorite)
    I just steam everything and use my food processor, then freeze them in ice cube trays and store in a freezer bag. In the morning I just take out what I think I will need for the day and put it in the fridge and by the time she's ready to eat its thawed and ready to go!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013

13. thomaschristeena

thomaschristeena New Member

I never put my baby on raw food. We don't need keep ourself that worried about the food. As there are lot of options but the most important things to make a note is that how we prepare it and whether it would be good to taste or not.

14. thomaschristeena

thomaschristeena New Member

15. Deally55

Deally55 Member

thanks, I guess I am gonna need this when the time would come (so far, I don't have children)