The Effects of Stopping Birth Control

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Raunchy-Row, Apr 11, 2011.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 that have free access to thousands of health related discussions.. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok here it goes.... I stopped taking my pills a week ago and I'm feeling very mood, anxious, I snap for no reason, I'm having second thoughts of coming off the pill. When I think about not starting the new pill pack I get anxious and that makes me think twice about getting off even though I know I should. I the pill it's self makes me very bitchy and I have now sex drive even though I have been on a study med for libido for months now. I know it's the pill that is killing my sex drive because I was off the pill for two weeks (after being on the study med for a few months), I was swiching pills, and for the last week that I was off the pill my sex drive went thou the roof! I was trying waking my boyfriend to have sex! I haven't had a sex drive for 8 years! So I'm getting off the pill for that reason and to be less of a bitch, but it's so hard!
    My mind says get off the pill but my body says give me the pill (demond voice). I am already taking a multi vit. and fish oil so I guess I need to get the b-vitms.)

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is my story:

I have been on orhto-tryclen lo since I was 18. At my last yearly check up--I said I wanted to take Seasonale, hoping it would help with my moodiness. I started Seasonale (which after the 3 month pack--they switched it to lo/ovral (continuously) because it was cheaper) in September and by December I had nausea and heart palpitations so bad that I couldn't sleep. The doctor kept upping my antidepressant, which only made me feel worse. I could only sleep 2 hours a night--with sleeping medication! I have been seeing a naturopath, since then, however, he never made the connection. I even went to a new psychiatrist because I was crying uncontrollably and had suicidal thoughts. Thank god-he is the one that made the possible connection. I have been off for about 4 months and have had 2 periods (not counting the withdrawal bleed). I do not have the crying spells, but I still feel my heart pounding constantly and I have acne all over my face, back, and shoulders!

I have been taking many herbs and supplements (b vitamins, kelp, flaxseed oil, deprex, pregest (digestive enzymes), magnesium, multi vitamin, adrenal support, and Dr. schultz's Fem Balance (has vitex and other hormone balancing ingredients). I have also added progesterone cream (last week).

Has anyone continued to have the heart palpitations after getting off the pill. If I didn't still have this problem--I would feel much better. It is not related to stressful situations, either. Any suggestions?)

Hiya Suzy! Congrats on getting off the pill!

It's very possible that your fuzzy memory is due to being off the pill. From what I've seen a lot of the "coming down" symptoms are the same as symptoms of being on the pill, including fuzzy memory/lapses. After all, hormones control sooooo many things in our body, not just your reproductive system, and your whole body is trying to readjust.

Unless you're having actual blackouts or extremely serious lapses (forgetting a close friend/relative's name, etc) I think you'll be fine once you readjust. Just start trying to keep a little notepad and jot down anything important )

Myste... thanks so much for the response. Sooo I'm not crazy after all (well, not in this respect anyways!!)- I'm very relieved. At least there is a good reason for the difference I'm experiencing, and I'm looking forward to my body adjusting eventually. Thank you!!!!!)

If you're having your period it's extremely unlikely you're pregnant. It's most likely that you were late because of stopping BC - some women don't have a period for 5-6 weeks or more after they stop. It just takes time for your body to adjust its hormones back to a normal cycle.

Even things such as plan-b, stress, etc can change your cycle. It's a delicate balance of hormones and sometimes it just takes a bit longer to get going.
    )

...i also went back on birth control and that's when i got my period about 4 days into taking the first pill. is that still normal after stopping bc for a bit? is it fine if i got my period a week later while on birth control for about 4 days? sorry, im just confused and scared.)

I've had odd periods like that when I missed pills or went off for a little while or whatever. If you're really worried, you can take an at-home pregnancy test to reassure yourself. I can't see why you couldn't take one during your period but I'm not an expert on them either.)

I just wanted to pop in and say, a year off BC and I feel very very happy and well. No more weird anxiety, sinking black depression, uncontrollable anger and crying fits. It will get better girls! Dont give up hope!

Keep taking your supplements! Theyre a must!)

Hello! I went off of Nuva Ring about 1 month ago. for 2 weeks i've had nothing but pregnancy symptoms. Today i got my period, right on time! so my pms symptoms are weird - very sensitive nipples, weird uterine cramps, nausea after 3pm (that went away)and tail bone pain! I hope this doesn't last long, it's creepy, I wouldn't sleep with my boyfriend because i think he has super sperm. He could sneeze and knock me up Good going getting off the BC ladies!)

You are normal, don't worry!

If you haven't already, you might try a few of the favorite supplements women around here have used...

A B-complex will help you emotionally, and because the pill depletes B vitamins (which includes Folic Acid, so be sure you are taking that if you are TTC, but a B complex is even better!)

An Omega oil complex, or at least Omega-3... Omega oils are so good for us in many ways, and are lacking in the modern diet... They can also help with emotional well-being!

Zinc (with a little Copper) and Magnesium (two separate)... These are two additional vitamin supplements that some women find help them regain hormonal regularity

Vitex... If you continue to have problems, look into Vitex, which is an herbal supplement that can help re-adjust to being off the pill

The pill is a very powerful drug, despite how readily and openly it is prescribed. My biggest pet peeve is how much doctors downplay or don't talk about the potential for minor "quality of life" side effects on the pill (e.g., depression, weight gain, etc), AND that getting back off of them can be hard, too! Your body is trying to take over hormonal processes that it hasn't been doing on its own on the pill.

The best supplement of all, unfotunately, is just Time. Hang in there!)

Myrtle,
    Thanks so much for your response to my post. The last 2 months have been the worst and most difficult of my life and I wish that there was more info. out there about the effects of being on the pill and the effects of coming off of it. With the help of the Lord (and a lot of supportive people caring and praying for me), and also, beta blockers and Cymbalta, I am slowly getting better. My cardiologist expects that I will begin weaning off of the medications in about a month. I am glad that at least there is this forum to help inform and support women when not much other information can be found. Thanks again.)

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Raunchy-Row

Ok I am new to this forum...but I have a question for anyone who is reading this. I just went off ortho try cyclen lo after being on it for about a year..reason being me and my boyfriend broke up about a month ago..i dont want to have sex unless i find someone who is worthy of my and who i am in a serious relationship so i figured that id go off of it. Anyways..I stopped taking it as soon as i got my period which was about a week ago..didnt take the placebo pills..and i would have started a new pack this past monday but obviously i didnt because i decided to stop. Since i havent taken them anymore..ive had a bit of lower abdomen pain..some spotting..some discharge..and some itchiness down there (kind of like a yeast infection type of thing)..i know i dont have any kind of std..but do u think that those are side effects from going off? or maybe i have a yeast infection from going off of it? i dont know.. kinda worried..if anyone could give me their opinion i would greatly appreciate it.)

Krosey;

When I went off the pill, I had major anxiety attacks too. I was convinced that I had cancer or other lethal ailments. Part of that was that my aunt died of ovarian cancer the week after I stopped the pill but it was hideous panicing and care for my children at the same time and not let them know. The anxiety finally died out after 4 months, but I still get twinges of it at specific tims of the cycle.

What I did to relieve the post-pill madness was to take a good multivitamin with LOTS and LOTS of B-vitamins. The pill (and pregnancy) depletes your B-vitamin stores and can really cause havoc with your body. I had nausea that disappeared like a miracle 24 hours after I had the first big dose of B-vitamins in addition to lessening the panic attacks. Other women here use Vitex too to regulate post-pill cycles. Do a search on this board and you'll find what supplements help.

The other thing that has helped me immensely is yoga. It helped me calm me and I have stuck with it for 1 1/2 year now. It is a boon to have a calm time in the middle of life while doing yoga and the side effects are nice (flexibility and stretching). If you want to see what a yoga class is online, check out <a href="http://www.yogatoday.com" target="_blank">Yoga Today</a> . It is free and they do one hour of yoga. Each day is different. Before you try to do the poses, check out a real class with a teacher though.

Hope that helps you,
    Nete (free of the evil little pills since Nov. 05 - using FAM for prevention and it works for me))

LOL, Hi LaShell!... I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing "with" you because I can relate, and stories like yours are so, so common!

I didn't even have time to read your post in detail (not because it's too long, but because I only have a minute)! But, I always try to notice new member posts, to at least extend a Welcome!

You are not crazy, you were not wrong, your cousin is just as brainwashed as most of the doctors. You have a home here.

And, poke all around here, and you'll discover ideas to help you recover from the pill, and you'll discover that you have lots more birth control options than just the pill... )

The headache, especially, is a common side effect from withdrawal from the synthetic estrogen. The length of time varies for all women, and doesn't seem to necessarily be related to how long you were on the pill.

If you haven't already, poke around for the suggestions about supplements that can help. The pill really depletes some nutrients, and that can have a ripple effect throughout your body. Just as the depletion can happen slowly over time, recovering it can take time too. But many women have benefited quickly from taking a B-complex (like, a stress complex with Vitamin C as well). The pill especially depletes B vitamins. Also, Omega-3 ("fish oil"... or, more ideally, an omega 3-6-9 complex) can really help with emotional well-being (as well as many other things, not even related to fertility, and for men, too!). Essential oils are needed for natural hormone balance, and the modern diet really lacks Omega-3 especially.

Other vitamins the pill depletes, which some women supplement, are magnesium (in a sep tab, even if you take a multi-vit) and zinc (balanced with a little copper - again, a separate tab). If all that seems like a lot, at least try the B-complex and the Omega-3! Good stuff!

Some women have also used Vitex, an herbal supplement known to help with hormonal balance. But, you might try just the vitamins first. Oh, and the other two most important "supplements"... time and patience! Good luck!)

so i am just curious, why are you going abck on the pill? i think it will only make your recovery time when u get off it a second time , worse. I don't blame you tho. sometimes i wish i could just get back on the pill cuz its so much damn easier. you dont have to think about anything. Now me and my bf have just amazing sex.. but its only maybe once or twice in two weeks and we do it like rabbits for a bit and then stop. God i love him so much, i can't believe how much he is there for me. anyways so we dont have much sex. but we decided independently that we have our whole live to have sex. if/when we get married and are ready for kids we can do it all the time. but now it would be way way way to crazy. so anyways i am waiting to get my diaphragm. effects that i have hated from coming off pill :
    feeling ugly, breakouts on my face and chest and back which make me feel really ugly and uncomfortable, occasional bouts of anger (which i had before but much much worse) and that my temps are irregular and my last period.. well i dont know if i can count it as a period cuz it was just spotting, but i did anyways. yikes this is so crazy reading this post, i just spent 20 minutes reading the old stuff its and its well, F **

King crazy!)

3. Raunchy-Row

So I am new to this post thing, but I am 18 and just started college and just finished my second month of being on ortho-tryciclrin (however that is spelled). I was perscribed to it by my dermatologist in order to help my skin. However, I found it just made my skin worse and caused me to gain weight! Soo, I am debating just going off the pill because I have never been sexually active and don't plan on being for a while. Are there any detrimental side effects, besides mood swings that might occur? Please help! I really want to be back to my normal weight! And have healthy skin!)

since you were only on the pill for two months it shouldn't be too bad. I think that the longer you are on it, the worse it gets. I personally was on it for six years. side effects range from a headache for a few days (which can be helped by taking vitamins) to having weird periods, you skin breaking out more- which happened to me but is getting better by the day (on my chest and my face) and yes i lost a little water weight and bloating in my lower abdomen! which was NICE!

anyways i don't know what your relationship status is and i see that you are just starting college. I think that you really should make sure that you have a good back up plan since, well sex happens in college and it may be with more than one person so i really think you should make sure you are ready to have something else- which is a pain in the but. Many people on this site rely on charting or Fertility Awareness- which involves taking your temp every morning and recording it to watch when you will ovulate etc etc, if you are interested go ahead and look for the book "TAking charge of your fertility"- the majority of women on here own it already! if you aren't interested in doing that then u should look at other options like condoms or a diaphragm or an iud (hormonal or not) anyways i just thought i would give u some detailed feedback. I am on month 3 of coming off the pill, its been different but i know that i am happier! which is great.
    let me know if you have any other questions)

my first period after not taking my pills- well i had the normal one where u take the placebo's but i never took those things. then the next month of real period i had a very light period. my next one was only spotting, but since my basal body temp had dropped i assumed it was a period. This month i have been having high and low temps and sore boobs, i dont believe that i have ovulated yet- unless the cramping i had today was ovulation.. not sure. but i am still waiting for my period to come.

Things must get awfully weird in there because odd things are happening! it must be bad to stop your body from normal egg production for long periods of time. this makes sense as to why thing are so out of whack. i am more than willing to talk to you if u have any questions)

I took BC for 12 years. For the past 12 months I have had constant migraines, chest pains, couldn't wear my contacts, and finally hair loss. I didn't realize it was BC until I re-read that warning pamplet that comes with the package and saw all my symptoms. I spoke with my OB and she took me off.
    I have been off for 3 months now. The first period was fine and on time, the second was a week late, and this 3rd one just didn't come. I am sure this is all hormonal but how long until it goes back to normal? My hair is now greasy all the time, thinner, and I have these white balls coming from my scalp. I get dizzy and nauseous a lot. I think my sense of smell has gotten better.
    I just feel like I am going crazy. My body probably can't remember how to produce the hormones to even make me have a period.
    I wish someone would have said, hey, you might not want to take BC for 12 years with no break.
    Anyway, sorry for the long tangent. I feel lost..)

werided out... Have you read suggestions around this board for vitamins and supplements that might help your body rebound? The pill can deplete many nutrients, especially B vitamins (hence all the emphasis on folic acid for women who are trying to conceive, since so many are fresh off the pill). You should try a B-complex that has all the B's mixed. Another good supplement, especially for healthy skin and hair, is Omega 3-6-9 complex, or at least an Omega-3. Omegas are lacking from the modern diet, and are helpful for SO many things... help with hormonal balance, good mood, heart health, etc. Vitex is an herbal supplement that many women swear helped them, as it helps with hormonal balance (also called agnus castus, or chasteberry).)

Hi MyrtleWarbler,
    I did write down the suggestions you gave other people. I actually realized something today. I have been taking Omega 3 flaxseed 1200mg supplements every day for a couple of months now in addtion to my multivitamin. I wonder if this has to do with my oily hair? I just read somewhere that it can act like estrogen and if my body is all hormonally crazy this could effect it. I think I will stop taking this supplement for a few weeks and see if my hair changes. I eat a good vegetarian diet and hardly any bad foods so I don't feel I am missing anything diet wise. I am glad to have found this website, thanks for the tips!
    Still Weirded Out)

Hi Teri,

I saw on the other thread that you are using opk's. Some women never see a positive. It depends on when your surge is and if you miss it or not. If you are concerned that you are not ovulating, I would suggest taking your basal temp everyday. It could be that you are ovulating, you are just missing it with the opk's. There's alot of women temping on the fertility boards who can give you some advice. Hope this helps! If I hadnt temped a few times I would have thought I wasnt ovulating. Since quitting Yasmin I dont have my normal ovulation signs all of the time.)

hi renee
    you are everywhere ha ha. Yeah, to be honest I'm becoming paranoid. By not knowing what is happening actually. I don' t even get the ovulation CM I'm supposed to. And I'm checking my cervix, it' s never in ovulation position. I guess I try the temperature from now on. It is really frustrating. Thank you so much for being there.)

Naki- I feel for you... I had the same problem as you. Was on the pill for 8 years. As soon as I got off it, my anxiety worsened 1000% and I started experiencing depression for the first time. I also had hot flashes. I researched menopause treatments, etc. I never wanted to go on any medication.

Things I did to help - daily walking, drink water, take supplements (multivitamin, BComplex (stress/anxiety), Omega-3 (anxiety/depression), Evening Primrose Oil (hot flashes)). Exercise is great... produces those good feeling hormones. Researching my symptoms also led me to acupuncture. This helped me sooooooo much. Maybe you should start up with that again? My acupuncturist also referred me to a compounding pharmacist who tested my hormones and compounded natural progesterone tablets (helped with ALL my symptoms). After I started the acupunture, my depression was gone and my anxiety lessened greatly. After I used the progesterone, my anxiety and hot flashes were gone. You can also purchase natural progesterone cream without seeing anybody. I've been off the pill for 16 months and I'm back to my old self. I started feeling slightly better after 3 months (after starting acupuncture) and almost completely better after 6 months (after the natural progesterone therapy).

You are not alone. Keep reading this board and know there is a light at the end of all this. Be proactive to heal yourself. TAKE CARE!)

Thank you so much for your help. I've felt so alone up until reading last night. I used to sleep great and now I'm waking even earlier than usual, experiencing hot flashes right away and that nagging sick feeling immediately fills my body. I've only been off the pill for one month now and I was literally too overwhelmed with the side effects of quitting. I was about to get back on (as of tomorrow), but after reading your kind words, I've decided to try and fight. I'm going to the store immediately to buy all those items you mentioned. Once again, thank you so much, you've really reached out and saved me from returning to the cycle. I have a question, were the bad symptoms only when you had your period? I felt great in the beginning, all up until I got my period, then I went downhill. Did you experience these conditions after your period was over? My period is ending today, so I don't know if I can expect some relief up until the next cycle? Also, in terms of the anxiety, when did that start to subside? Thank you so much, again!)

Does anyone know, on average, how long it takes for your period to go back to normal after going off the pill? I have been off the pill since July, and have been watching my cycle very closely to see that my period is giong back to nomral (I have been diagnosed with Innapropriate Sinus Tachycardia right after going off the pill. My cardiologist thinks that this stemmed from going off the pill, He has also said that when my period mormalizes, that is a sign that the tachycardia is beginning to go away, so I have been very anxious to see my cycle normalize). My second to last period was normal in length, 7 days, which was always the typicial length for me. This last period seemed to begin normally. I had cramps at the beginning which I took as a good sign, because I have always had cramps at the beginning of my period, but they had become much more mild on the pill. This last period, however was short by about a day. So, I take that to mean that my hormones have not quite gone back to normal, otherwise I would have menstruated the full seven days. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!! )

Hello! There isn't any magic timeline; every woman's body is different and has reacted to the pills differently, thus will recover differently as well.

Here's my story if it helps anyone: almost 2 years ago I decided to stop the pill. I was fine the first month; after that, my body went haywire. Weird pains in my abdomen/side; emotional rollercoasters; terrible cystic acne covering almost every inch on my face, back and chest; and a period that would skip one month, then next month give me the worst PMS, then a light, 2-3 day flow (which, before the pill I was like clockwork). I stuck it out for about 8 months, and then I just couldn't take it anymore. I went back on HBC, and then started playing the trial & error game to find the one that didn't affect me as much (weight gain, moodiness, circulatory issues, loss of libido, thin hair/nails, dandruff), but of course they all suck. So, doing more research on how bad HBC is for women, I've decided to give it another go. I've now been off for 3 weeks, and it's been good so far. Lost a few pounds, no emotional/psychological issues, lost 5lbs, my insatiable appetite disappeared (which is wonderful, no longer wanting to eat everything in front of me!), and my libido is starting to come back (but it's slower than it did last time I went off, where it was almost instant and the sexual urges were overwhelming). This time I was prepared - I'm taking a GNC multi for active women, Omega 3, cinnamon pills (to level out blood sugars), and Vitex. I'm wondering if the Vitex is what's keeping the libido from coming back full-force. But, if it's keeping the acne at bay, I'll deal! A super-strong libido is no help if you look like a freak covered in zits! In any event, it's only been weeks; the true test will be months/years from now.

I wish everyone on the board the best of luck through their journey!)

just thought id drop in and experiance the pain with u!! i stopped taking bc on sept 30th and so far i have been mad at the world!! i had really bad cramps for the last couple weeks like AF was coming and very dehydrated and a day and half straight with a headache! the last couple days my cramps have stopped though!! yay! and i actually am feeling ok! othre than anxiety! ive always had that so sometimes i just have a little trouble catching my breath! we'll see how it goes but im here for and with all of u! i was on bcp for seven years!)

LambYoung - When you mention the normal length of your period, do you mean before you were on the pill? Either way, I have never found that my periods are predicatbly always the same length, and would never consider it unusual if they were shorter or longer by a day or two. What seems to be more important to me in terms of "normalcy" and "regular" are periods that are evenly spaced, cycles that are a fairly consistent length. How has that been since going off the pill?

blueviolet - Good luck this time around! When my acne flares up, I find that following the tips at <a href="http://www.acne.org" target="_blank">http://www.acne.org</a> carefully gets it under control. I do not genearlly have bad acne, but it gets worse sometimes, and then I make things worse by picking, rubbing, over-treating, etc. The regimen at that website gives me the reminders I need to knock it back.

beanie, I've seen you over in the ttc threads, and I'm glad you poppsed over here too! Hopefully the only reason you'll have trouble getting normal periods back off the pill is b/c you are quickly pregnant!)

Myrtle, Yes, when I mention the normal length of my period, that is what it is was before I was on the pill. During the time I was on pill, my period lasted around 5 days. As for the spacing of of my periods, now that I have come off of the pill, it is pretty much as it should be, usually about 20-21 days apart, so, that's a good sign. Thanks for your thoughts.)

4. Raunchy-Row

I want to share with everyone on this site how I'm battling this whole hormone imbalance. I've been seeing a guy for acupuncture and my friend went through horrible withdrawals, after being on the pill for five years. That's when she got hit with the worst panic/anxiety attacks, depression, hot flashes, etc. She said two weeks into her battle, she went to see this guy. He literally cured her after 6 sessions. She didn't have anxiety for years, only to have it reappear after the birth of her second child. At any rate, I started to see him when I had a bad bought of it and he cured me up until now, getting off the pill. I HIGHLY suggest you all try it. In addition, this morning I was having a really rough time and was ready to get back on the pill. My husband did research on the web for pressure points for anxiety and hot flashes. We did those and then I took the advice from the acupuncturist, he said to go fill up the tub with hot water, as hot as I can take it, only up to my waist. He said to sit in that water, waist-deep for about 10-20 minutes and then to get out. After doing the pressure points and bath, I felt like I could get a grip on my condition again. I will keep sharing any good fighting tips as I find them. I want to help you all, as your messages have helped me greatly!)

i am currently on my fourth cycle without the pill. my period has been very odd so far.. very very light! which is a good thing i guess- saves me money on tampons but its also a little unpredictable. because it will start and then it will fade and then come back on a daily basis for about 5 days. some days there is nothing.. at all and tne the next day its back? weird huh? anyone else experienced this?? i guess i dont mind but i dont even know if i ovulated last month because of my temps being so weird but then i had a red period instead of brownish spotting which is what i had the month before- however the month before that i had brown spotting i had an obvious increase in my temps to show for ovulating. anyways im a litle confused but just relying on back up methods- which is perfectly fine with me.. althought we did have sex twice yesterday with no protection other than a very early withdrawal.. anywho thats all for now!

i had been having acne stuff on my chest and back- my face still breaks out more than it should around my nose.. on my back tho the bumps are very very small. and only maybe two that actually look like a pimple.. weird>! i dont know what they are but they are on my shoulders and go down to my middle back. i guess they could be from riding my bike with a backpack on.. hmm anyways maybe i need to wear an absorbent shirt or something underneath)

Hi-

I've been reading all of your posts, and they are very helpful. Question for MyrtleWarbler-if I take a women's multi-vitamin should I also include a seperate Omega-3 and seperate B-complex in addition to seperate magneisum & zinc?

My Dr. reccomended taking pre-natal viatamins once I got off the pill (I got off the pill over a month ago-no period, not pregnant)-if I start these will I get sufficient amounts of the B-complex; Omegas; magnesium & zinc?

One more question, I was on a pretty low-dosage birthcontrol (Lo-ovoral/Cyrselle). I'm not really experiencing as severe as symptons as some of the women on this site.. Granted, I'm not 100% feeling "great"- but do the level of homones effect the "aftershocks" of getting off the pill?

Thank you anyone who can provide insight.)

Hi y'all. I was on about a month ago (left the Peace Corps in West Africa because of anxiety). I've been home a month, have seen a GP and a therapist for just about the same length of time.

My GP says she doesn't think that my hormones had too much to do with my anxiety, but encouraged me to go off of them if I don't like them or they make me feel crazy. All of my labs came back normal (B vit, thyroid, everything). She seemed to think they didn't cause my anxiety, but that they probably caused a lot of other weird sensations, pain and discomfort that added to my stress load and made me more anxious. So i'm off them again (ah! my poor body!). I'm feeling pretty good because, I think, im dealing with my other stressors.

I was in general really stressed out and had my first panic attack 2 days after i started my period (a month after i had gone off the pill) during a very stressful/depressing time in my life. From then on, i think a lot of my fear was of panic attacks (and still is!). They really suck, especially when i feel like im shaking, in an elevator, or like my face is twisting around my skull. But, they aren't life threatening and i'm amazed what a minute of breathing can do (I made a 400$ neurologist visit... he told me to get a paper bag and breathe into it).

The dont deny that birth control really, truly negatively affects some (most) women's bodies. But I think that the panic attacks and anxiety can be controlled... stop thinking that its hormones and remember that its your brain. It's your brains interpretation of your senstations that causes the panic. I find that things that I would have never panicked about before (like a tickle in my throat or a side cramp) totally tweek me out. The stress being caused by fearing our hormone rebalancing and its sensations is restressing and restressing and building until it becomes total distress.

Exercise is important to. And remember this... a lot of the stories i have read on here are of women (like me) who have slipped into total distress... necessitating at times medication and really, really affecting our lives. When it gets to this point, the latter affects can be like post-traumatic stress. Start to heal and give yourself six months to feel better and see results.

Long winded. Hope it helps... ill check back in in a month to tell you if im still swaying.)

Thanks ! I purchased some pre-natals, but do need to take additional Omegas it seems from reading the bottle.

As far as my period, who knows.. it was pretty normal- i believe, I was on birth control for about 8 years-so it is hard to remember.

Also, I've searched the answer to this question and have found conflicting information-- can you ovluate without having a period.? I was supposed to start my period Oct. 30th (got off the pill the last week in Sept.)- didn't start, still no period, took a test (negative). Today I noticed some CM that was clear and stringy--is it possible to be ovlulating? Thank you so much.)

danielle... Once you ovulate, you will have a period about 2 weeks later (The Luteal Phase is 10-16 days, though about 14 is average). So if you have not had a period yet, you probably haven't ovulated yet (sounds like you might soon - see below). But, you can have a month where you do NOT ovulate, and eventually you will bleed anyway... maybe sooner, or later, or about on-time, and it might be lighter or heavier in flow. Having an anovulatory cycle now and then is typical for most women, and most probably don't even realize it unless they are tracking their cycles.

So, you haven't had any period since you stopped the pill (except perhaps the usual "pill period" at the end of the pack), right? And now you are seeing what sounds like fertile CM, which would indicate ovulation might be about to happen! It is possible it has taken your body this long to get back on track. Keep tracking these signs. It is also possible to have fertile CM but not ovulate (like your body gears up to ovulate, but doesn't). But stretchy clear CM is considered a sign ovulation is coming, and you are at your most fertile right now. Your period may come in a couple weeks, unless you get pregnant.

There's lots more to learn about tracking your fertility, whether the goal is to get pregnant or to have a natural way to avoid it. Check out the book Taking Charge of your Fertility (which also has a website with lots of info), or check out the online course/tutorial and FAQ about cycle charting on the <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" target="_blank">http://www.fertilityfriend.com</a> website. A lot of women track their basal temperature, but really just watching your CM is often enough to know about where you are in the cycle.)

Thank you so much! I have signed up for Fertility Friend, and just started tracking my temperature-- I guess I will see what happens.

I really appreciate the insight.)

5. Raunchy-Row

I just stopped taking the pill and 2 days later I got what I believe to be my period, but technically my period isn't due until closer towards the end of the month. I see everyone saying that it's normal for your period to be late when coming off of the pill but it seems that the opposite happened to me. It lasted about 3 days and then...its gone. Should I be worried or just monitor and see if it comes again?

I had to get off of the pill. I was getting depressed and emotional over every little thing and it was driving both me and my boyfriend crazy. Random crying spells over things that normally would not phase me. Hopefully things will improve.)

re early period after stopping BC - if you stop mid packet you will experience some spotting/bleeding. this happened to me after stopping mid packet - 3 days later I had a "light period" when technically I would have been due later in the month. Hope that helps.)

I've heard that HBC can cause constipation but has anybody experienced it AFTER quitting BC? I try to drink plenty of fluids because I have a tendancy to dehydrate. I don't think that's the issue. I suppose I could use more fiber in my diet, but don't we all?)

yup, this happened to me too. Never had problems with constipation in fact almost the opposite all my life and then after stopping BC - yowza! I am 3 months off and it seems to have settled down.)

thanks for your response clumsyone! I was wondering if BC was a possible cause or if it was all in my head. Yowza is right! This is downright painful! I'm about 6 weeks off of BC right now.

Anyway, bought some FiberOne bars today. We'll see if that eases things a little!)

Also clumsyone, I've had very nice skin too while on BC but now not so much. Pimples and bumps near my hairline and some on my chin. I've been using my regular cleanser in the evenings, swabbing a cotton ball soaked with witch hazel over my entire face, dabbing tea tree oil on blemishes, and then once everything is dry, my usual moisturizer. Tea tree oil does not seem to help bumps, only pimples. It's very drying to the skin so you have to be careful.

Morning instead of my normal plain water wash in the shower, I now use a gentle exfoliating scrub for sensitive skin (St. Ives Apricot). A different type of facial toner (witch hazel is too harsh for me to use twice daily). Usual moisturizer before makeup.

Some of these tips I've gotten from other members on the board so I want to credit them as well.)

Hi girls-

Clumysone, BethG- I agree with both of you on these changes. I too am very detailed, organized, etc. I noticed immediately major mistakes (so unlike me) in everyday tasks. I hate it.

I've had a little of the breakouts around my hairline and chest. I also just get an upset stomach randomly. It has been 43 days since my last period (which was a pill period), and while I would love to be pregnant I would also love to be "normal" and get a period.

I know thinking about it all the time doesn't help. But based on my CM, which sometimes seems as if it could be fertile I wonder if you can actually ovulate w/o a period....

I started the vitamin supplements too.. I guess we wait and see if we get normal.

Thanks for your posts..)

clumsyone, it's very possible and likely that your symptoms are just your body's hormones adjusting. But keep tabs on them. You also describe a combination that can be indicative of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (PCOS). You might google that, just to see if anything else seems to match. The mid-cycle pain is very possibly related to ovulation. Mine was strongest the first month off the pill (after 13 years). You haven't ovulated for so long! Your body might be extra-sensitive to how it feels. If you are TTC, you might want to do a little charting just to make sure you are indeed ovulating, or use ovulation kits through mid-cycle. Peace of mind is nice. And feel free to go to the Fertility forum, where we talk about TTC in threads like "Project Baby" and track each other's testing dates, etc., for fun and support.

It could be that your body is gearing up to ovulate (estrogen creating fertile CM), but then it doesn't quite happen, hence no period yet. That would be quite possible the first cycle off the pill. Fertile CM doesn't confirm that ovulation happens, only a basal temp shift will do that. If you have started tracking your temps, you can post the link to your chart if you want help with interpretation (lots of women over in the Ferility forum are good at that!). Some see charting as over-doing it, esp early in TTC months when you have no reason to doubt your cycle is normal and healthy. But lots of women like the peace of mind of confirming ovulation, especially when their body appears to be "trying" (fertile CM), but they aren't sure.

When you are on the pill, the timing of your period has everything to do with the pill itself, and nothing to do with the calendar. Did you stop mid-pack, or simply go until your pack ended and not start a new one? Whenever you "stop" the pill (whether it's just the week of the placebo pills with no hormones, or if you stop for good mid-pack), you will bleed within a few days (a "withdrawal bleed" aka a "pill period" - not true menstruation). If you do not start a new pack of pills, THEN your body is beginning its own natural cycle. You could expect a real period about a month later (if you return to normal right away). And whatever your cycle length while on the pill, it may or may not be similar now, especially the first month off. Does that make sense?)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013

6. Raunchy-Row

This is such a great forum - I wish I had known about it long ago! I have been feeling really sick over the past few days and hope someone can help... I stopped taking Nuvaring 4 weeks ago (removed it mid-cycle). I had previously been on Nuvaring for about 3 years, and BCPs for about 2 years before that.

Anyway. I got my period 3 days after removing the ring, and it was normal. It has now been just under 3 weeks since that period, and I am feeling really intense nausea and my breasts are incredibly sore. I took a pregnancy test today, which came back negative. Could my symptoms be related to ending Nuvaring? Please help, I feel awful and am in a place where visiting a gynecologist is quite difficult...

On a brighter note, my mood is SO MUCH BETTER after having gotten off of Nuvaring, and my libido has returned after being mysteriously absent for 2 years!)

katzonks... It's quite possible your body is just adjusting, hormonally. Specifically, you might be experiencing some "true" PMS symptoms for a change... You are ovulating again (well, hopefully!), which would mean your body is producing progesterone on its own (which is different than the fake progestin in the ring/pill/shot/etc), and progesterone can be the cause of sore breasts (a reason why that is a common early pg symptom, but many women get it pre-AF anyway). But, if you were pregnant, it might be too early for a test to be positive anyway. Hang in there!)

Hi ladies,

I am havng issues sinced I stopped Nuvaring in May. It is now November and I am getting a little worried. I guess I just would like to know if anyone has had this problem.

I was on Nuvaring for about 2 years. I had terrible headaches,no sex drive, dryness and anxiety like most of the women who have posted. My boyfriend noticed I was slowly becoming an insane hormonal monster so I went off.

Good news: Anxiety gone! Irrarational Insomnia gone! Sex Drive back!

Bad News: I have had 6 months of Acne worse then when I was a teenager...I am 31 now! My cycles have been horrendous! I have noticed that a lot of women who stop BC have had no periods for months. I could only dream of that! I have been quite the opposite. I have had nonstop spotting then a period then a tiny break about a week and then more spotting and another period. I am lucky to have 1 week where I am not dealing with my period. I expected that it would be an issue for a few months with my body re-adjusting to ovulating and all that.

I have been emailing with my doctor. He had me come in for a bunch of blood tests and everything was normal. He said to watch my cycle and then schedule an appointment. I ended my last period on Wednesday November 14th and just started bleeding a little again today Monday November 19th....completely unexpected!

Help....anyone have this problem when stopping Nuvaring? Did anyone have this problem for 5 months or more and then things stabilize?

I am a little concerned I may have Uterine Fibroids...but I do not feel pain....just a slight tug in my lower left abdomen.
    I am going to make an appointment with my doc after Thanksgiving but just would like to know if anyone else has experienced this nightmare. It seems like a lot of women a have the opposite problem of skipped periods. My anxiety levels are not high and I have actually felt great since stopping the nuvaring....it is jus this pesky 20 day cycle that is kiling me!)

I just stopped taking Yaz, last week, and have been having a constant period, and am more sensitive than normal. I haven't been breaking out, but I never did break out anyway. I have been peeing constantly, so I guess I had more water weight than I thought. I just hated the way I felt on HBC. I think I will look into Ladycomp, or condoms. The only thing I am not looking forward to, are my heavy periods coming back. I guess, it's a trade off.)

I am new to this...and i was wondering what the heck is going on with my body now that i am off birthcontrol. I have not received my period and its been a month and I have gotton a yeast infection. Am i pregnant or is this normal should i go to the doctor)

pam... Changes in yeast infections just off the pill are common. Interestingly, the pill can make yeast infections worse because they are immunosuppresive (I was told by a doctor). But I've heard other women talk about getting infections just after the pill. A delay in your period is definitely a typical post-pill reaction. If you think you had sex during a fertile time, you could take a test. But likely it's just delayed from stopping the pill. How were your cycles before you went on the pill? Were they typical length and regular? If you want to get a better handle on your cycle, especially if you have come off to get pregnant, you should look into charting your basal temps just to confirm that ovulation is happening, and about when it happens for you. If you don't want to fool with temping, just give it some more time for now.)

sparklyred - your situation is so specific, you might want to copy and post that info as a separate thread about Nuvaring and/or Uterine Fibroids. I don't know anything about uterine fibroids myself.

Are you sure you are ovulating? Anovulatory cycles are often longer, but can also be shorter and irregular.)

full of helpful advice as always Myrtle Warbler! Thanks for always being around.)

Has anyone had what seemed to be the "never ending period" after stopping HBC? This is getting on my nerves!!)

nightsunstar... Just a few thoughts come to mind. One is that it is not abnormal for a woman's flow to vary month to month. Sometimes the body reabsorbs some of the lining, sometimes the lining just wasn't as thick. If you were pretty sick during the middle of this last cycle, it's possible you didn't ovulate due to the illness. It's common for a woman to have an anovulatory cycle now and then, esp when sick or stressed, and the periods with those cycles are often lighter. Unless you were tracking and you know you ovulated (even ovulation pain is no guarantee), that's possible. One other reason women's natural periods become scanty is if they are at very low body weight. And, as you mother said coming off the pill is an adjustment, and it's pretty common for women to have a month or a few months that are really normal, and they think "whew, I'm all better" and THEN things get squirrely. Sounds like you are smart with your birth control, so give it some time. Try not to stress too much, as that can make it worse by delaying ovulation and making you late (more stress!). If the next one is strange again, perhaps talk to a doctor.)

I'm in the same boat. I was on the pill about 1 year ago and everything was fine with it apart from abnormal period.. I was getting it for months at a time so I stopped using. About 3 and a half months ago I started taking Loestrin 24. After about a month I started to notice huge changes in myself. I was always moody, felt like crying, depressed, and I lost all my sexual desire. I thought maybe the side effects would go away but they didn't so I decided a week ago to stop taking it. I've felt awful this entire week! I can't think clearly, I feel much more depressed than before and my boyfriend is convinced that I'm losing it. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel hopeless. All I want is to go back to how I was 3 months ago. Anyone know how long this will last or is there no telling?)

I am new here but I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site because a)I thought I was going insane and b)I never even thought to associate my birth control with my state of mind in my daily life - who knew?! Now that I have read so many of your stories, a very clear (and disturbing) pattern is presenting itself.

My story - My husband and I decided to start trying to have a baby a little over a month ago. I stopped taking my birth control (various pills for over the past 10 years, the NuvaRing for the last two months). Two weeks later, after ovulation (measured by the First Response Home Ovulation Test), I quit smoking (after 13 years - yea me!!) and caffine. I immediately became severly bloated and have been so ever since. I have had hot flashes (mostly at night) and have lacked focus with slight dizzy spells every now and again.

My first period after removing the NuvaRing came as normal. The second came with 5 days of very dark spotting, then was very intense but rather short. I am now awaiting my next LH surge and eventually, my next period. Its frustrating to read that, for most, the first period or two is semi-normal but then after that the cycle deviates massively. Not good news for the "anxious to conceive" but good information to have nonetheless.

After reading this thread, its clear that post-pill symptoms are a little different for everyone. And, to be honest, with quitting smoking, caffine and birth control at the same time, I'm not sure what symptoms are associated with what but the most obvious and annoying symptom for me has been the severe bloating. But those of you who have spoken about bloating seem to say that it goes away after a week (I've been this way for about 4 weeks now). Is there anyone out there who has had severe bloating for longer? When can I expect this to end? My pants barely fit me and I know that, much to my shagrin, I am not pregnant.

As a side note, I find it VERY interesting to read all of your comments about sex drive returning after ceasing birth control. I am VERY excited for this to happen to me - after being on birth control for 10 years, I thought I just naturally had a low sex drive! It hasn't happened yet but its hard to feel sexy with this much bloating!)

Hi Red-

You're so funny!lol I don't think is gas. I'm new here.. but I wanted to say that I had the exact same problem. I went my MD 2 weeks ago for flue shot and also to tell her about my abdomen acking/pressure. Usually it happens when I'm sitting or laying in bed. So she also send me for ultrasound - she said everything look normal just had a "fatty liver" (which mean I'm a 'little' overweight). After that I haven't thought about that again. BUT I also got off from the 'ring' (I call it) 10 days ago, because I also had a ultrasound on my breast-it showed a tiny cyst- I freaked out, so I search online about cysts, I found out it had to do with BC/excess strogen so I decided to stop using the ring- but I removed it a week early without realizing, a week before end of the clycle, so now exactly one week later after leaving the ring I started 'bledding' I was not supposed to get my period until next week. After reading all the posts I realized it might be a "withdraw bleeding" or whatever they call it.

OMG all of this it's so complicated! I'm just glad I'm not the only abnormal person with all these issues.)

It's kind of weird for me. As some of you already knew, I was on Ortho-Tri Lo for about a year and a half or so. Went off of them just in time to be psycho for when the SO came back from Iraq and got out of the Army. Then I went back on them after 3 months or so because I was impatient about waiting for my hormones to naturally balance out...even though my periods went back to their 'normal' 42 day cycle. Stayed on it for a month, then came back off because I finally decided I didn't want to be on them at all.

My facial hair hasn't improved, but the funny thing is this: before HBC, my periods had always been between 38 and 42 days cycles with moderate bleeding and heavy flow on the first couple of days for the past 8 years. After HBC the second (short) time around, my periods for the past 3 months have been more regular than ever before, they come about every 30 days now and are just moderate flow and last about 3-4 days. Periods before were more like 5-6 days long.

I suppose it's probably because I'm getting older anyway, but it just seems so drastic. The first time I went off pills, it just went straight back to the way it was over a year ago, but this is not the case now. I kind of miss those longer cycles though. LOL At least, my ovulation time is more predictable now for me.

I only drink parsley tea when it's late. Though I did drink it when I was late and didn't want to wait the whole 42 days a few times in the past. I can't say that's had anything to do with it the past few months though since I haven't been drinking it.)

hey moma- a fatty change in the liver doesn't mean you are overweight- it just happens. I know because they said i had it in my CT scan. Anywho- its an odd pain i get it while laying or sitting- but it persists if i stand up too. and especially hurts if i twist- its so flipping weird!)

Hey MyrtleWarbler...appreciate your comments.

Here's what happened since I last wrote: last Friday afternoon I began to bloat and felt 'wet' down there, if you know what I mean, but nothing. In the evening, however, I started to bleed! I had regular flow for me until about Sunday, when I began to dry up. I spotted a wee bit on Monday and that was it. So it was like my period from October, but in reverse!

I'm not too worried about it anymore, but it would be nice to be back to 'normal', whatever that is. =)

I'm 5'2" and somewhere over 120, so I'm not low in body weight. I work out several times a week, but only track b/w 10 - 20 miles of running and yoga once or twice, trying budokon or tai chi if I'm feeling adventurous.

One of the reasons why I was panicked is because my mother went through menopause early. I started my period when I was 11 (she started hers much later). She's 24 years older than me, and by the time I started, she had pretty much begun to stop. She's had a hard life, and has recently been diagnosed with lupus, and I believe stress helped cause it, as well as the early menopause. My boyfriend causes a lot of stress for me (he needs serious anger management!!!) and I absorb the pain of the world, so I don't want to follow in her footsteps!!!

I never got around to discussing this with my chiropractor friend, but I'm taking notes, so when next time rolls around and it's still funny, I may go to a med doc.

Now you mentioned that even if I have ovulation pain, that I may not be ovulating. I don't mean to be ignorant, but I am on this topic, so what are other signs of ovulation so I know what to look for?

Thanks so much.)

7. Raunchy-Row

I posted a week or so ago about my seemingly permanent period after stopping nuvaring 6 months ago. I am happy to say that since my last suprise bleeding for one morning 2 weeks ago I have not bled since. I feel like things may be finally stabilizing. I have had a slight pain in my lower left pelvis which could just be ovulation. I am not sure. It feels a little tender during sex. I am just going to continue to monitor the cycle as my doctor recommended since I am not anemic.

I am still breaking out like I am 16 but it is getting a little better. Although I could just be breaking out from the amount of food, wine and desserts I have been eating with the Holidays. My zits are in reacurring places too. I have a cheeky zit, a forehead zit and a nostril zit that have been forming a nice constellation on my face on and off for 6 months. So annoying.

Thank you to all of you ladies for sharing your stories. it is nice to know that other women freak out about this stuff. It can be scary. I am going to dismiss my theory of Uterine fibroids and just see how everything plays out over the next month. I am sure I was just being a crazy hypochondriac.

So far I have been dealing with this for 6 months...have patience ladies...these things may take a long and unbearable time to normalize.)

The best thing I can suggest (esp since I don't have time to type in detail at the moment!) is to get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility... OR, at the least, look at the website associated with that book (you can google it) or the website FertilityFriend.com and read their Charting "e-book" or Charting FAQ... Even if you don't want to take up the "hobby" of charting, you'll find great information about fertility and everything you never knew about your cycle because you were not taught in school and you were suppressing it on the pill!! Believe me, so many of us have had that reality check... realizing how very little we actually know about the pretty amazing work our bodies do every month. So you aren't ignorant!)

i was like you and depended on the pull out method- but it just was too stressful and hard to have a good time so i got a diaphragm- which i recommend because i hate condoms! anyways when i first went off in August i didnt eat meat for about a week because i thought it smelled so disgusting! and it seemed as tho that was a pregnancy sort of symptom- my smells were very sensitive and i had a bad headache for almost 7 days! it was horrible but once i started taking the vitamins i felt better- much better. the headache stopped and i eventually didnt have such a strong sense of smell. Myrtlewarber usually posts a big thing about vitamins- taking B complex- omegas 3 6 9 and calcium/magnesium. those are the ones i took- and i no longer take them after reading a book about od-ing on things you don't need. but i think for the first couple weeks it really helped! good luck- and maybe find another method of BC if u are really not trying to get pregnant!)

I decided after researching the effects of hbc that I would stop taking them I had experienced headaches, weight gain, severe cramping, anxiety attacks etc. I had been on bc for 10 years, and tried pretty much everything out there.I stopped taking the Alesse mid pack and a few days later had a withdrawl period I guess is what its called. That was the 12th of November. I am hoping to have my regular cycle soon because I have had a lot of cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen. I am hoping to get back to normal soon as my husband and I would like to start ttc.)

Spitler, cramping and pressure in your lower ab about now could be ovulation. Some women (myself included) find the symptoms of ovulation to be pretty strong right off the pill... as if the body is making up for lost time, lol! Of course, other women do not start ovulating right away. And others seem to recover right away, and then things get wacky. If you are ttc, join us on the Fertility forum (I have seen you already did), and I suggest the book Taking Charge of Your Ferility... and/or have a look at websites like <a href="http://www.tcoyf" target="_blank">http://www.tcoyf</a> or <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" target="_blank">http://www.fertilityfriend.com</a> for info about your fertility cycle (in the e-books, FAQ, etc).)

I had been on HBC for two years, and stopped about 3-4 weeks ago. I had forgotten how horrible my cycle was before HBC! I haven't started yet, but my head hurts, my back hurts, and I have horrible cramps. I have about two weeks to go before I start. Before HBC, I thought painful periods were normal. Maybe HBC was a blessing in disguise. Now that I know this isn't normal, I can go to the doctor and get checked out.)

Hi reena, yes, unfortunately it does take some women several months before they begin menustrating again. I think there's a thread somewhere here about it took one gal a year! She's the extreme though. Seems like several us take 2 or 3 months to start again. Hopefully next cycle will be it for you!)

After getting some much needed advice from BethG, I read some of this thread, and I am so surprised that stopping HBC can mimic pregnancy symptoms. It's almost making me want to get back on HBC!)

This thread, and forum, has helped me too realize that some of the things I felt/am feeling ARE the effects of taking/stopping birth control. It's a good thing! I might not have realized what was going on if I hadn't read about it.

Anyway, brief summary:

1st cycle of BC: pinching/cramping, one bout of dizziness, 30 day cycle up from 28. AF was 4 days long, up from 3. Only slightly heavier than while on BC.

2nd cycle: previous symptoms gone but now painful constipation. 32 cycle. AF was 4 days long.

3rd cycle (current): previous symptoms mostly gone, easier bowel movements. Headaches started though, possibly related to ovulation time? Or could just be I need new glasses, lol.)

I've heard others complain about the cramping too so I don't think it's really anything out of the ordinary. I think your 4 month suggestion sounds good, but you know your body best. If you're not feeling "right" then I'd make an appointment sooner. Right now though, it seems you're feeling similiar stuff like everyone else!)

ree have you talked to your doctor about this? i too suffer from anxiety attcks but i had them before i stopped bcp. didnt really notice a change when stopping but everyone is differant! i see you found the thread already in general health and theres some pretty infomative ways of dealing/coping with them. unfortunatly the effects of stopping suck! theres all sorts of symptoms and such that we have to go through which nobody seemed to tell us about when we started! ive been off for about 5 months and still have different things i notice that i never had while on bcp for 7 years. are you trying to conceive a child? if so theres also a couple threads in fertility and reproductive health for women who are if youd like to join us! also there are a number of vitamins you can take to help deal with the effects from post-bc. MyrtleWarbler knows quite abit about it if you would like to pm her im sure she would mind telling you some of them or where you can find the info. youll notice her as a moderator on alot of the threads.)

yes this can be a side effect and it too shall pass! lol i actually get less of them since quitting.)

I had some headaches too after quitting BC ree. I didn't track them enough to pinpoint a time in my cycle though. When I was on the pill though I had far more many headache than I did after I quit.

And like beanie mentioned, start taking a good multi-vitamin if you aren't already. It's certainly not going to do any harm and might just help some of the side effects of quitting.

I did have a bout or two of dizziness the first one or two months after quitting but nothing like you mentioned.

Good luck with everything.)

erin- going back on the pill may temporarily help your symptoms but when u do eventually go off it again- it will be the same problem. I know that mostly on here vitamins are suggested. When i first went off the pill I had a chronic headache for about 5 days until i started taking B vitamins. Suggested vitamins are B's, Omegas3-6-9 ( I used Flax Seed oil- fish oil works too) calcium and zinc (usually come together) and I took vitamin c too. Most say that just the multivitamin isn't enough because your body has been depleted of these nutrients.

Coming off the pill is a struggle for many people. But you will be ok! I recall having anxiety after coming off- however i was having it the whole time i was on it as well. A good way to keep your emotions in check is to write down what you are feeling everyday- until you realize that you are pretty much worrying about nothing or the same things- but they are really not important.

the best thing to "regulate" your hormones is time. you may want to check into the book "taking charge of your fertility" since you are trying to conceive. its a great book- i am not TTC but i used it to figure out my cycles and have learned a lot! good luck to you.)

8. Raunchy-Row

Hi all! I'm new to this discussion forum, and I'm hoping someone can reassure me that what I'm experiencing is normal! I have seen numerous postings about headaches, but haven't seen any to the extent that I've been having them. I've had pretty much a continuous headache for two weeks - pretty much starting exactly when I stopped the pill. Has anyone else experienced this? How long does it last? My husband and I started TTC immediately after stopping the pill, and these headaches have been freaking me out - mostly because I know I can't do a simple CT scan to make sure there's nothing seriously wrong (in case I'm pregnant), and an MRI is way too expensive! Help!! Has anyone else experienced this?
    In addition to the headaches, I've had nausea on and off, the weird chemical/metallic taste for a couple of days, and also weakness in my legs and arms. Anyone else having these problems?)

Hey! I just have a quick question. I stopped the birth control about a week and a half ago. I did a round of Provera to stop my three month period. During the times I was off the birth control pill I was severely depressed and wound up finding my old pack of pills and taking one last night. I feel much better today. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?)

Originally Posted By: manda_leighI just stopped birth control about 4 days ago. I have to say, I couldn't be happier! I am beginning to feel like my old self again.
    I'm with you exactly! I stopped the pill 4 days ago, and it's amazing how quickly I felt in control again. I don't get all weepy for no reason, I'm less weak and tired, and I just feel so much healthier.

It seems that almost everyone experienced withdrawal symptoms, but I'm getting the exact opposite! Is this something that's only temporary? Should I expect to "crash" in a few days?

All I know is that I'm loving the new me (or rather OLD me!))

Lilac - what HBC were you taking? I was on NuvaRing for a year, switched to LoEstrin for a year, then Yaz for 6 months. Had enough....needless to say.

No headaches for me - I feel like my normal feelings are slowly coming back. I'm having some withdrawal bleeding which is a welcome site, since my HBC have made me stop bleeding for over a year! that couldn't have been good....

Don't know why the medical community wants to "cure" menstral cycles. LOL Not having periods or cycles of energy thru-out the month made me feel like I wasn't a woman.)

I'd say leave your body alone and let it get itself back together normally. Never again , if I can help it will I take any type of synthetic hormone. I had normal periods after stopping th pill, what I got was the anxiety and panic attacks. Every time I would have a period, I would have a complete meltdown...After 4 months I am finally feeling like my oldself again, and I thought that would never happen..
    Try to relax and realize that your hormones are kicking you into overdrive at various times of the month..)

[/quote]Originally Posted By: JeniceI have an appointment in two weeks with my Dr. again so she can give me somthing to make my period start. But I'm afraid that more hormones could just make things worse. What does anyone think about that??[/quote] Well, sometimes women are prescribed Provera, which essentially does the same thing that the pill does... gives your body synthetic hormones, then withrdraws those hormones which makes you bleed. It's not really "getting your period back" - it's still a "fake" period, and it is still re-introducing synthetic hormones back to your body again, even if just temporarily. BUT, I have known it to help some women have more regular cycles after that. Like a kick in the pants for your cycle, lol! Maybe since your cycle had seemed normal, then got wacky (that happens, you aren't the only one. Such a tease, huh?), you'd be likely to respond well. The only way to know would be to try.

Something else to try, perhaps, is Vitex - an herbal supplement that is great for hormonal balance. Other good supplements for ovulation and hormones are Vit B complex (esp 6, but a complex is best) and Omega 3 (or a 3-6-9 complex). Some women take soy isoflavones during specific days early in their cycle to promote better/earlier ovulation. Acupuncture can help, too!

Go to the Fertility forum and join the conversation in Project Baby, where a group of us chat about ttc and the monthly madness. Just jump in and introduce yourself if you want. And if not, good luck to you!)

Thanks for your advice!! It's really nice to know that there are support groups with other women experiencing similiar situations.(Although I wish NONE of us had a need for each other's support ) I think I might try the vitamin supplements for a few weeks and see if I notice any changes in my cervical mucus. I'd prefer a more natural approach versus a synthetic option. I'm afraid that I will stress out so much worrying about it not working or causing further hormonal problems that I will mess up my hormones even more! I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Thanks for letting me know about the other fertility forum also! I feel calmer already!!

Take care)

Hi ree- you're not alone honey when it comes to the acne. I used to have severe breakouts on my neck before I started BC. Then like magic it all went away!! Unfortunatley now that I'm off of BC and ttc the acne has come back again. A few things that have helped me stay sane and keep it a little under control are 1- the sun, don't get burned but the sun does help "dry" things up a little bit. 2- drink plenty of water to flush out your system 3- try neutrogena pore scrub twice a day. The hardest thing is just not to touch your face and pick at them. Hopefully some of this will help you. Good lucK!!)

Hi ree

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the acne but it sounds like your health is improving in other areas. It would be a shame to undo all your hard work by going back on the pill and I don't feel that would be really addressing the root of the problem. I had some problems with spots after stopping the pill but a low GI diet and plenty of salads and vegetables seems to have addressed the problem. Have you considered whether you might be suffering from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)in which case by addressing these imbalances you may find your skin improves. I have attached a helpful link which talks about PCOS and acne.

<a href="http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/acne.html" target="_blank">http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/acne.html</a>

There is also a link at the bottom of the article for natural treatment options.

Could be a long shot but it's worth thinking about. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Geraldine
    x)

whoops sorry ree, didnt read closely enough. Have you thought about Accutane for the acne? its $$$ but permanent. you have to promise to use some form of birth control or promise to remain abstinent during the treatment bc of severe birth defects. I had BAD acne til i became a vegetarian/ sometimes vegan. then it cleared right up)

9. Raunchy-Row

Hi everybody. I'm so glad that I finally found this site! I have been thinking that I was absolutely crazy because of the way I've been feeling lately! I stopped taking bcps about 5 weeks ago. I was having horrible headaches up until the time I stopped taking them, and they are finally going away now that I'm not taking the pill. For the past week or two now I've been having other symptoms though... I feel really sensitive and cry really easily, my nipples feel like they're bruised and my breasts feel really sore too, I've been nauseated, and dizzy/lightheaded too. I've been wondering if I could be pregnant, but the test I took today was negative. I have not had a period since I stopped taking the pill, and that is another reason for my fear. Any insight? Thank you in advance!)

It probably just your obdy trying to get used to not having all the extra hormones of the birth control bills. I am just stopping the side affects of my depo shot i took once and have been off for over a year. If your that worried, just wait another week and take another test. Are you hoping for a positive test? )

Cariemarie- Try vitex. Its supposed to naturally regulate your cycles. I just started taking it, and i hope it works out.)

I'm secretly hoping for a positive test, but my husband is not quite to that point though... I think he will be soon though... He is 2 years younger than I am, and wants to make sure that we are more than prepared for a baby. Which I totally understand and respect. So, for his sake, I would have to say that I hope that whatever is meant to happen will happen. I would love to have a baby, and think that we're at that point. But I don't want to rush him on something like this. Thanks for the insight! I was on the pill for about 6 years, so you're probably right.)

OH WOW..I'm so glad i found this site.
    I went to a doctor that i thought was good, she was a family doctor, and she didn't even discuss anything about the effects of starting or anything about Yasmin, she just gave it to me and when i called for questions, she didn't answer them at all. But I took it anyways after reading some on the internet.
    Well, about a month ago I decided to stop taking it and try t find a new doctor and maybe start something else.
    Well, the past month has been INSANE!!!!
    I have been dizzy, emotional, tired, and just plain insane.
    Me and my boyfriend have been fighting like cats a dogs over the smallest things. I have been crying at work just for no reason and it seems to be getting worse. not to mention the stomach issues I've been having because I just don't have an appetite for actual food anymore.
    I thought that maybe it was just me, but after reading some of these posts, I now know that I am not crazy!!!)

I don't know much about St. Johns Wort, except that you can try it now that you are off hormonal pills. Another good supplement for emotional/mental health is Omega-3! The B vitamins should help too. And, one of the best supplements is Time. )

I don't live in NY, so I can't help you. The group here includes so many people from around the world, you may not find anyone that can give you local recommendations. But, one suggestion I have is to consider looking for a nurse-midwife who does gynecological care. I started seeing one when I took Centchroman, b/c I really needed someone who would be open-minded. She was great! I'll never use a regular Gyn again unless I have specific problems. And, better yet, now that I am trying to get pregnant, I already have a relationship with her for my prenatal care! There are probably websites with directories of midwives and where they practice. Many are partnered with Ob/Gyn offices, but an office like that might be more open to your concerns and preferences for a non-hormonal approach even if you see a Gyn there.

Also, your question about Prolief might get buried and ignored in this thread. You may want to start a new thread in either Ferility/Repro Health or General Health (depending on what it does and which topic area would be more applicable), called "Anyone try Arbonne's Prolief". More people would see it.)

thanks for the advise- i know i just need to give my body time to "regroup". This post has really been helpful.)

Which pill were you taking? Was it Yaz or Yasmin by any chance (or the generics of those)? Post-pill bloat(weight gain) is particularly bad with them because the body is missing out on the diuretic component they contained, and it has to adjust. Getting back on the pill may or may not help you lose the weight. Depending on your reasons for stopping and your plans for the future, keep in mind that you will probably have to deal with post-pill side effects "eventually" no matter what. But if you were otherwise happy on the pill, you could try that. Or give it a little more time.)

It is very, very common for periods to be late and irregular after you stop the pill. Were you really regular before starting the pill? If so, chances of getting regular again are good. There isn't much you can do but give it some time. If another entire month/cycle goes by, you might contact your doctor. They might tell you the same thing I told you, and they might offer a drug (hormonal!) which will give you another "withdrawal bleed" and basiclly prompt a new cycle (which might just do the same thing again). And, they will probably just say "gee, why did you stop?... the loss of sex drive is all in your head... you should go back on them..." LOL! Can you tell I'm a little cynical. Keep us posted!)

I went off BC in February of this year and experienced a lot of the symptoms that you guys have mentioned here. I have also gained weight, close to ten pounds. From what I understand, it is way more common to lose weight after stopping BC but it can affect women differently and it does happen. I had a severe dizzy spell one day shortly after going off the pill while I was at work. I swore I was going to pass out. I didn't, thank god. My face has been breaking out, I've been nauseous and gassy. From what I have read, these are all normal reactions. It's just your body trying to regulate the hormones all over again. I've been off about 4 months now and the symptoms have gotten better. Unfortunately I still have the weight though. It just takes time I think. Unfortunately it looks like we just have to suffer through them and wait. I was luck enough to not have a really delayed period, but that's a common effect as well.

I have been taking Omega 3 and some B vitamins as well and I think they have helped.

Good luck girls. It will all work itself out soon enough I'm sure. Like MW said, it just takes some time.)

10. Raunchy-Row

Hello all, I read some of this thread months ago while doing research. It's about time I start discussing my problems so I don't feel like I'm crazy. Here's my story: I started the pill when I was 17 (I'm 23 now.) because I was sensitive to my ovulation. I would get cramps not only during my period but also during my ovualtion. So my dr. had me on many different pills. I finally started taking Yasmin. I thought it was the best pill ever. I didn't realize how run down I felt while on the other tradional birth control pills. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of my chest. I swore by it. Then I started taking Yaz only because I worked for a family practice and was able to get it for free through the drug reps. I guess I didn't feel any different while I was on it. The whole time I was on the pill (since 17 years old) I was having issues that I never linked with the pill. I was having IBS symptoms. I was so uncomfortable all the time and didn't want to go anywhere because of my constant fear that I was going to be gassy and bloated. I tried everything to calm my stomach. Cleanses, pills, you name it... I tried it...and nothing worked! I also was having painful intercourse. I asked my gyno about it possibly being a side effect from the pill but she said No Way. I barely was intimate with my boyfriend and when we were it was pure torcher. It was so depressing. Nothing she did to try to alleviate the problem would work. I also felt like I was getting a yeast infection every month. Finally I was done. I stopped the pill May '07. The first few months were okay. I didn't feel any different. I was still having my stomach issues but the painful intercourse problem was almost a thing of the past within a few weeks... Wow... imagine that. But I hit about the 6 month mark and I felt horrible. I had the worst anxiety and depression. I truly felt like I was a drug adict quitting cold turking. I can now say that I think I know what those people go through. It was getting to the point that the side effects of the pill were almost bareable and that I thought about going back on it. But my boyfriend stood by me and kept me motivated to stick it out. I also broke out with horrible acne. I never had acne problems but months after stopping Yaz my skin was disgusting. To make matters worse... I eventually gained weight! And weight in places I never gained it before. It's been a year since I stopped the pill. Although I feel a lot better now than I did 6 months ago, I still feel like my body is going through changes from stopping the pill. The weight is an issue, and I still have a little anxiety and my skin still breaks out a bit. I know going off the pill is a long process but over a year?!?! This is insane! I don't usually regret anything I've ever done... but this is something I wish I never started. I need some advise!!!! )

Ducky... There are a few things about your story that make me wonder if you might have PCOS. Having a lot of pain "with ovulation" sounds like too many follicles forming cysts. Were your periods pretty regular?... Were your cycles particularly long or short? Even if you were regular, there could have been cysts. Did they do tests to confirm that you were in fact ovulating, or did they assume that any mid-cycle pain must have been from ovulation? Also, some of the other main symptoms of PCOS are acne, weight gain (especially in the abdomen area), and depression. How have your cycles and periods been since you quit? Any more pain? Have your cycles been regular and normal length?

I don't want to scare you by tossing out a diagnosis. I'm definitely NO doctor!! But you might want to read up about this and ask your doctor. PCOS can really vary between women, and not all doctors are well-versed in diagnosing or treating it. But do a little research and ask some good questions. I think you should at least rule it out.)

Jinmango
    <a href="http://www.pcoscoach.com/vitex.html" target="_blank">http://www.pcoscoach.com/vitex.html</a>

I currently take vitex to try to even out my hormones. I've only been using it a couple of weeks. But i think it would be something worth researching for PCOS. Hope this helps.)

Hi All - I'm in my first week of being off BC for the first time in about 13 years, and I'm having horrible headaches (on the right side of my head only). Anyone else have the same problem? How long did it take for you to feel normal again? I've heard 3 - 4 months, I can't wait that long!!
    Thanks for the feedback!)

Thank you both! I feel so much more positive about my body, now )

Thanks ladies - the headaches are actually getting much better. *whew*!)

mimi... When you say "the exact same thing" are you referring to LambYoung's post from about a year ago (that's what I reach when I click the name next to "Re:" on your post). Or, are you talking about the headaches?? Tell us more about your experience... what you were taking, when you stopped, what symptoms you are having... so we can help.)

cc: lamb young

I just got off the pill a little over a month and a half ago. I've been experiancing tightness and pressure in my chest, pressure in my head, warmth and a tingly feeling in my face, and numbness (almost a feeling of lost circulation) in my left arm. The pressure in my head feels a lot like the feeling in your head after you've just cried really hard (except I haven't cried). Associated with these feelings is a feeling like I'm going to pass out. I worry I'm going to have a heart attack or stroke. These attacks started last week and got worse this week. I went to an immediate care center and my blood pressure, ekg, heart rate, x-rays are fine. I left feeling like an idiot to say the least. The doctor also said it may be from my hormones being out of wack. I read this last night and felt some relief that I'm not alone. I'm getting these attacks atleast once a day if not more at extremely random and completely stressless times. I'm going back on the pill in a week. The pill I was on before I stopped was Seasonique, before that I was on Necon. I'm really worried. May I ask what your outcome was?)

Well, my post-pill experiece was fine and pretty uneventful... but people have all kinds of experiences. I guess my advice for you isn't any different than my advice for lamb young was. The obvious thing is to seek medical care, which you have done. Though, if you haven't already you should see your regular doctor, not just the immediate care doc. You could try B-vitamins, omega-3, and Vitex (an herbal supplement) to help get your hormones back on track. If you've been of over a month, did you have a period yet (a real one, within the last couple weeks or so, not just the one you take just after you stop the pills).)

11. Raunchy-Row

Hey guys, I went on birth control for the first time three months ago, a generic of ortho. Everything went well for the first month then after the second months my period went on for two weeks. Doc said it could be my body just sorting things out. After that I was emotional all the time and I started my period again at regular time. Same thing, it felt like it just kept going. Four days into my new pack my doc told me to stop so now I have started my period again. All long does the period after stopping the pill lasts? It seems to be heavier than my normal and it is causing me to get very tired and have headaches all the time.
    Thanks for any help)

I am SO GLAD I found this thread!! I thought I was going batty!! I stopped BCP in April after 5 years, and I was an emotional trainwreck!! I have been getting periods again, but my cycle is pretty long now, about 35 days.

Anyway, I have this problem too of recurrent yeast infecitons.

Just so you know, Black Dahlia, I started getting recurrent yeast infections at the age of 14 (now 14 years ago!) when I had a bad case of pneumonia. The docs put me on pretty powerful anibiotics, which caused my first yeast infection and now.... well, it was a bad ongoing problem until recently. I would have one at the very least 3 times a year, maybe more if I took antibiotics or anything, and I noticed being ON the pill caused me to have them more regularly, about once every two months. Anyway, in Nov, My gyno told me to take the vitamin Acidopholys. I take one pill per day of one billion CFUs and it works!! It regulates your PH, and I have only had one yeast infection since taking it and that was after a round of antibiotics, which I think will always be a problem for me. Anyway, just pick it up at a vitamin or health food store. It's about $15 for 200 pills for me..... hope this helps you.)

Dahlia, are you taking probiotics, eating a lot of yoghurt etc.? And have you been tested for Bacterial Vaginosis? I have a problem with recurring yeast and BV as well and it's frustrating, the antibiotics just make it worse! I've found that what works for me is a) yoghurt tampons (plain yoghurt, on a tampon, shove it up there and let it sit for a couple of hours) and b) LOTS of acidophilus and other friendly bacteria on a constant basis. I'm looking into hydrogen peroxide douches for the BV, apparently it works miracles!

Let us know how it goes...)

Hello Kalina and Rowanthe!
    Thanks for the responses, it's good to know I'm not the only one!

Yes, I take acidophilous supplements and I eat plenty of natural (un-sweeted yogurt). Still, the problem arises from time to time! And, I hardly ever eat sugar! I mean, in fruit of course, but never refined sugar, and never white bread/pasta etc. I haven't eaten things like that in years.

I read recently that perhaps fermented foods can affect yeast, making it worse. Has anyone heard of that? I do eat fermented foods, but I thought it would be good for me as they contain good bacteria like acidophilous.

I haven't been tested for bacterial vaginosis, thank you for bringing that up. I'll look into it, and the tampon idea!

One of the problems for me is, since this yeast infection problem is recurring it's becoming harder for me to diagnose. Meaning, I'm often not sure if I have a yeast infection or not. You become use to it, sadly!

Bye
    M)

Wow, Rowanthe, I didn't know that either, I'll have to keep that in mind for my next one *knock on wood* How long do you soak it? How long do you keep the tampon in? How many doses of this do you need to be "cured"? Also, about the yoguhrt douche.... how many doses of that do you need, and do you use that in leiu of OTC yeast infection medication? I am sick of buying medication so often, I would rather use a natural remedy.

I also agree that things with yeast would feed it.... plus, my gyno told me to take it easy on any dairy product, since this could add to the problem too. I have also learned that too much Zinc will kill off good bacteria as well. I took zinc cold lozenges to head off a cold and ended up getting Thrush. I was 19 years old!! My doc said it was the zinc in the cold remedy that killed the good bacteria in my mouth.

Black Dahlia, I also have a difficult time identifying yeast infections now. They no longer itch like h***..... The only way I know is if I have a certain irritation during sex or if I'm ready for it like after taking antibiotics, I'm always on the lookout. I always check things out with a mirror before I go to the store to buy stuff, but it LOOKS like a yeast infection all the time, with the discharge and the redness and irritation. I swear, with all the redness it looks like it should itch like crazy, but it doesn't.

Sigh..... I am glad to know I'm not the only one, but I'd rather not be one of the ones!)

12. Raunchy-Row

I'm so happy I found this forum. I'm on my last pack of BC then I have to go to the GYNO to get my women check up and get a new prescription. Well my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years and I desided that i should get off it and let my body go back to normal. I've been on BC for four year. We decided to do the old fashion birth control abstinence. I first was one the Depo shot for a year I gained a lot of weight and was extremely moody. My mom wanted me off of it so I went in and changed it to the Patch I loved it just my skin is extremely sensitive and after a year I stopped. Then i got on this pill for a month mad me extremely moody and not pleasent to be around now I have been on the YAZ for almost two years now. I'm very emotional and other things.

I'm really scared to get off my birth control mainly because I really don't know what to expect. I have the rest of this week and then next week then I'm off. Any one have any advise for me. Maybe what I may expect. I know it varies from person to person but at least I can aware.)

'Re: effects of Discontinuing Birth Control','crazydingo... The problem is, it really is a crap shoot how it will go for you. No predicting! A forum like this is more likey to attract people who are having a rought time ON the pill, so that often scares people (although, I do feel strongly that doctors downplay the side effects, so I want people to know the possibilities!). Similarly, this forum is more likely to attract people who have trouble when they go OFF the pill, like sarahnicole. So, that can scare you too!

It seems to me, from my time around here, that often women who had trouble on the pill will have a smoother transition off of it than women who were pretty comfortable on the pill. That makes sense... if your body had ajusted well to the synthetic hormones, it might pitch more of a fit when they are removed. If those hormones were giving you trouble (physically or emotionally), stopping them might make your body happy! Very possibly you'll get a mix of both improvements and temporary side effects. I quit after 13 years, braced for the worst, and it was actually pretty smooth sailing. You just never know. Stock up on patience!

Things that can help for people who DO have trouble with the transition... Vitex (herbal supplement), Vit-B complex, Omega-3 or Omega 3-6-9 complex, zinc/copper, magnesium, acupuncture!','crazydingo... The problem is, it really is a crap shoot how it will go for you. No predicting! A forum like this is more likey to attract people who are having a rought time ON the pill, so that often scares people (although, I do feel strongly that doctors downplay the side effects, so I want people to know the possibilities!). Similarly, this forum is more likely to attract people who have trouble when they go OFF the pill, like sarahnicole. So, that can scare you too!

It seems to me, from my time around here, that often women who had trouble on the pill will have a smoother transition off of it than women who were pretty comfortable on the pill. That makes sense... if your body had ajusted well to the synthetic hormones, it might pitch more of a fit when they are removed. If those hormones were giving you trouble (physically or emotionally), stopping them might make your body happy! Very possibly you'll get a mix of both improvements and temporary side effects. I quit after 13 years, braced for the worst, and it was actually pretty smooth sailing. You just never know. Stock up on patience!

Things that can help for people who DO have trouble with the transition... Vitex (herbal supplement), Vit-B complex, Omega-3 or Omega 3-6-9 complex, zinc/copper, magnesium, acupuncture!

Hello!
    Kalina,*sigh* I know how you feel. Mine don't itch nor particularly burn anymore. You're right, the only way to know is to look. Then I start thinking: is this a yeast infection or just the normal state of things? I don't know anymore! So frustrating. It feels like my body isn't my own anymore.

Rowanthe, yes please tell us the recommended doses, etc. I'll need to try something soon!

That must be it: dairy or yeast. However, I don't consume yeast (maybe once a month, every other month). As for dairy, I do have usually one glass of milk a day and some cheese. I think I'll have to start a food journal to see if there are any triggers.

Do any of you know/think that going off birth control triggers these recurrent yeast infections? As I said previously, before I went off BC, I only had a yeast infection at the most once a year. Now, it's sooo often. Maybe it takes a really long time for our bodies to get back to the proper hormone balance, and that is affecting the Ph balance/yeast overgrowth? I really wish there was more research on this.

M)

A couple of things I've found out from researching hydrogen peroxide douches/treatments.

From the information I've read, this really works. Lots of women on the eHow board have said douching with it works wonders! But, I'm cautious. Hydrogen peroxide is a poison and is labeled as such. It warns not to swallow it, inhale it, get it in your eyes, on your clothes, etc. So is it really safe for you-know-where? Perhaps since the quantity is so smallÖI dunno.

To be on the safe side, just use yogurt. Apparently, when yogurt (unsweetened, plain, of course) is inserted you-know-where it naturally turns to hydrogen peroxide! This must have something to do with the PH balance there, and the heat perhaps. So, I personally am just going to go with the yogurt douche idea.

I'm trying this tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes!
    Bye!
    M
    )

Whoops, silly me. My previous post didn't take into consideration Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide, which is apparently safe internally (though controversial). If you do decide to try this, make sure it is Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide, and not the usual stuff you find at the grocery/drug store. That product is full of other chemicals, making it a poison. It cannot be used internally.

"Also lactobacillus found in the colon and vagina produce hydrogen peroxide. This destroys harmful bacteria and viruses, preventing colon disease, vaginitis, bladder infections and a host of other common ailments. (Infect Dis News Aug.8,91:5).

When lactobacillus in the colon or vaginal tract have been overrun with harmful viruses, yeast, or bacteria, an effective douche or enema solution can be made using 3 tablespoons of 3% FG-H2O2 in 1 quart of distilled water. Keep in mind, however, that a good bacterial flora must always be re-established in theses areas to achieve lasting results.

While we are discussing enemas and douches, there is another misconception about FG-H2O2 I need to address. The friendly bacteria in the colon and vagina are aerobic. In other words, they flourish in high oxygen environments and thrive in the presence of oxygen rich FG-H2O2.

On the other hand, most strains of harmful bacteria (and cancer cells) are anaerobic and cannot survive in the presence of oxygen or FG-H2O2."

Bye!)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

13. Raunchy-Row

Hi Ladies. I was only on birth control for 4 months continuously, I always felt bloated and fat on the pill, and the week before my period I was a total witch ready to take someones head off. I stopped taking the pill and I feel HORRIBLE! It is no coincidence that when I stopped taking the pill I started loosing feeling towards my boyfriend. My bf and I have been together for about 1 year and have never fought ever, we get along great, and we always said we would stay together no matter what. Since I have been off the pill I have tried breaking up with him 2 times! for no reason, other than I felt like I just didnt know him, and felt weird which is so out of character for me! Then I would start crying and just could not go through with the break up because some rational part of my brain told me it wasnt right, as did my heart... I also started a new job in an office building the day I took my last inactive pill, this place is a total dungeon and I dont have as much time to spend with my boyfiend anymore which adds, to my anxiety of us not working out.
    I feel so out of my element and so insane, and I hope its the pill and not just me. I cant get excited for anything, I feel dull, like I dont even know who I am. Things that generally make me happy dont (boyfriend, shopping, anything to better my appearance. I wake up inthe morning and dont even want to get out of bed let alone get ready or put on make up. I cry for no reason, and am soooooo miserable. If anyone else has felt this way please let me know I need the comfort of knowing that its not me and that its the result of getting off the pill and not getting those artifical hormones anymore..... =( This is so hard I dont want to loose out on my amazing boyfriend ='()

I've only ever used the Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide, no adverse effects yet! I've just been soaking a tampon and using it for 3-4 hours a couple of times a week. I've also found that splashing my vag with a tablespoon or so a couple of times a day keeps the icky BV away! But yeah, of course, be careful what kind of Hydrogen Peroxide you're buying--anything over 3% can really burn badly.)

Rowanthe

Hi Ginrun!... I suggest you post some of your questions over in the Trying to Conceive area! There is a thread for "New to TTC" with some acryonyms, although not many newbies there right now, just a few. Or, start your own thread to say Hi. Lots of helpful women over there. Some of us have way, way too much experience in TRYING to conceive!

When you quit the pill after that long, feeling new cramps and pains is hopefully a good sign your body is remembering how to ovulate! For what it's worth, the pullout method is actually a lot more effective than people realize when done correctly (that's the hard part, no pun intended ...but most mature adult men have decent control). If I had a dollar for every time a woman went off the pill, felt new and different things, and suspected (whether desired or not) she was pregnant - I'd be rich! Your body is making a pretty major hormonal readjustment, but it sounds like it is going well. And you are right, you can't really test for pregnancy until about when your period would be due, maybe a couple days before... and you also shouldn't assume your period will arrive right "on time" after the pill either. Might, might not. Go find us on the TTC board!...)'~~end

14. Raunchy-Row

Alright, ladies, that's the end of what was recovered! I apologize if some of the posts are crunched together, and I tried to re-enter quoted text for reference. This thread will now be locked and moved to archive. Please start another one!
    Row