The Effects of Stopping Birth Control

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Raunchy-Row, Apr 11, 2011.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

My GP placed me on the contraceptive in may because i was having irregular periods. I took it for a month and did not have a period that month instead i had some brownish stains so I went off it. I had a period two weeks after that. And after my period I noticed that my breasts are still sore. I have had a pregnancy test and it came up negative. So why are my breasts still so sore? Could it be from the effects of the contraceptive? Could i be pregnant even though i haven't had sex in three weeks?)

-------------------------------------------------------

i have a seperate post in reference to lower back pain -- this seems to be one of my side affects post pill. Has any one else other than Cloe1 experienced this side affect?)

I have been switching methods a lot recently (the last I was on was Alesse). I'm still awaiting the arrival of my period. It's pretty annoying because I want to start my new pill. I should never have taken a "month off." Grrr...

I was just wondering what methods, if any, helped people to deal with this.)

i am a 26 yr old mom of one i was on the pill for 3 yrs after my son got off in aug of last year and still have no cycle what is happening to me my dr gave me bleeders and i got a period but i dont get it on my own anyone out there with same prob??)

I stopped using the Nuvaring a month ago because it was making me depressed and i had NO energy whatsoever ...BUT..the first period ive had has been REALLY heavy, has anyone else who used it experienced this?? Im just assuming its my body trying to get back to normal because on the ring i barely had a period, but my periods were never this bad BEFORE the bc)

Woooohooo! Day 3 post-quitting (after having my withdraw bleed last week) and I'm ok.

I had a massive, massive panic attack last night right at 9pm when I used to take my pill, which lasted for 2 hours, but I'm feeling fine today. I'm a little nervous about tonight, but I'm staying positive and telling myself that it won't happen again tonight.

I can't wait until I get the rest of this toxin out of my body. I just want it to be gone so I can be healthy me again.)

hi you all, i'm new to this, but thank GOD i am not alone! i stopped taking the pill about a month ago and this wasnt the easiest month of my life! As you all might feel - THE ONLY THING I WANT RIGHT NOW IS TO FEEL NORMAL!!!! Since stopping my breast has increased! its terrible - going to have to buy a new bra!!!!! And then there's the feeling tiredness etc etc....my period still havent started and the only thing i have is PERIOD PAINS!!!! i will NEVER go on the pil AGAIN....pew i feel better)

Well, after lurking around on this forum for awhile, I can finally post with info about my own post-pill situation. I had my last active pill July 1st, had my withdrawal bleed and am now just waiting to see what happens. I'd made up my mind to do this a couple months ago (After 8 years straight of using the Pill), so I didn't have too much panic. There was a point this past Sunday when I thought, "If I run to the pharmacy right now, I could get my next pack and put this off for another month.." Fortunately, sanity prevailed.
    I am continuing with my multi-vitamn and started a B Complex. I'm also continuing with a probiotic.
    I also just picked up "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. Its been an interesting read so far. I will attempt to track my basal temperature, etc, to figure out my cycles. (Assuming they get back to normal fairly soon). Not as a form of birth control, mind you, but just for my own curiostiy. Is anyone here familiar with basal termometers? Mine has two digits after the decimal point - Does that mean that if I have a reading of 98.58 degrees, that I should round up to 98.6?)

Hi!

Found this forum in the nick of time. Im thinking of not taking bcp's anymore.(Ive been on diane 35 for more than a year now). Aside from worrying about the skin and hair problems ive been reading about post-pill, im also worried about getting pregnant. Other than the condom, what other birth control methods would you reco?

Thanks in advance for the help:))

I would choose a condom lubricated with spermicide just for added protection. And if possible don't have sex when you are ovulating as this will increases chances of becoming pregnant. I recently just went off Ortho Tricylcen Lo because I don't have health insurance at the moment. The only side effects I have had so far is the "stabbing cramps" that some of you described, but nothing with my mood-yet! I have noticed a definate lift in my sex drive though, which is pretty nice to have again. Isn't that such a ***** though? You get on the pill to have sex safely, but you don't even want to! Argh!)

Does anybody know how long the side effects from stopping the pill last?

I was on the pill for about 5 years (different ones, my dr. was always changing it). I had horrible problems with anxiety so I decided to try going off the pill. I stopped mid-pack (I don't know if this makes things worse?) around March 1. The side effects were horrible. Really severe acne on my face, chest, and back, and my anxiety got much worse. By the beginning of May (2 months after ending the pill) I was a total mess and couldn't sleep or eat because I was having such bad problems with anxiety and panic attacks. My dr. put me on Lexapro for the anxiety, which helped a lot. But 4 months later, the acne is still terrible. I tried Proactiv, but it didn't work. I decided to go back on the pill because of acne and hating condoms (I'm allergic to latex, and the polyurethane ones break a lot). I've been back on the pill a week, and I've been anxious and cranky all week, and if I take lexapro and the pill at the same time, I get really nauseous. I don't know what to do. Can I just stop taking it in the middle of a pack again? And has anyone out there gone off the pill, experienced mood swings and acne, and stayed off long enough for them to clear up?)

It took me 20 min. of seaching to find this thread (the only information on the web about the effects of discontinuing the birth control pill!!!!)Geeezzz!!!

I have been taking the pill for 6 years straight. I just stopped taking it about a week ago. Let me tell you ladies, I have not been sick even with a cold for about two years and I am not happy about these symptoms!!! This is the 4th morning I have awoke to dizziness and cramps. I experience what sounds to be hot flashes (I'm 26)especially in the morning. I have to get up 40 min. early to account for all the times I stand up and then have to sit back down in front of a fan until the dizzy spell passes. Everything is worse in the morning, by the end of the day I am fine. Lastly, I am tired throughout the day. I can hardly make it too the gym anymore...opting for a nap instead. This is all new for me, I truly hope it is a side affect of discontinuing the pill... since reading everyones messages I think it is. The sex drive is back though and my fiancee is happy!)

jenniehanniver you could try to start taking some suplements to ease your symptoms. St Johns wort and vitamin B stress complex help a lot with anxiety and depression. Also, saw palmetto helped with my acne and hair loss. Maybe some antibiotics from the dr may help or some antiandrogen medication like flutamide? Please ask the Dr your alternative options and make sure you stand your ground, as the pill is just depleting you of nutrients and seratonin and making your anxiety worse. I was once told by a Dr that couldnt be bothered "the only option for your acne and hair loss is the pill" when in reality I lost weight, avoided carbs and took supplements and it helped just as much! Good luck to you and hope it all works out)

I stopped taking BC pills after 12 years in January of 2005-
    My GYN told me that more zits would be prevalent for the first year, due to the change in hormones, but this "cyst like acne" crap is really on my nerves!!! It's been over a year!!
    On the other hand, I feel great, no moodiness, sex drive is back and better than ever, and I was fitted for a Mirena IUD, so no pregnancy worries.
    I just wish someone would invent a cream for the "cyst like" thingees. Regular zits I can deal with, a little Neutrogena Rapid Clear and 2 days they shrink down. These other monstrosities are painful and leave scars when then do finally "expel" themselves.
    I feel for all of you!!!!!!!)

I stopped taking my pills (Apri) in the beginning of December, so its been like almost eight months now. I have that cystic acne that shadowmaiden mentioned, and acne on my chest as well. It has gotten a bit better than before, when it was completely horrible! My sex drive definitely improved, but now, I am just...well, tired all the time. I don't want to do anything. My periods, well, they were regular before starting, and during the pill, but when I got off, they were all over the chart. Two weeks late, three weeks late; I stopped doing the home pregnancy tests (my husband and I are trying to get pregnant)because they were so disappointing.I just had a period that came on time, so to speak. I just want to know: when do things get back to normal? Has anyone been off their pills for more than a year, and found that they were still having problems?)

I stopped taking my pills a month ago and I don't plan to ever get back on it. Every week I have been trying to figure out what's going on with me. The first 2 weeks were all about feeling nautious and feeling light-headed. Then came oily skin with break-outs (still here). After that, a lot of my hair was/is falling out. The latest is that this week my breasts have not been feeling tender, but just painful (off and on). And oh yeah this is WHILE taking a good vitamin. It's crazy!!
    There is next to nothing on the internet about side effects of stopping birth control. I was glad to just find this site. There definitely needs to be more research in this area.
    It's scary to wonder every week what's going on in your own body.
    Take care and good luck with your symptoms!)

Question - i want to go off Orthotricyclen because of the constant vaginal yeast infections, 6 years ago my gall bladder removed and my doctor at the time did not want to confirm my use of birth control pills could have been a cause. We can use condoms but for a short while. I am young and fertile not ready for another child yet, what NON HORMONAL birth control methods are you using. I looked at the calendar method and I am not sure that will be very effective especially in the beginning unless my periods are regular.)

First to mary2006, my 2-cents on nonhormonal birth control.

Latex condoms seriously irritate me, and my boyfriend and I have been happiest with "lambskin" condoms. If you can get over the ick factor, they feel more natural than any other condom we've ever tried. However, they're unsuitable for the nonmonogamous as they don't protect against STDs (only against pregnancy).

I also like vaginal contraceptive film (a spermicide sold under the name VCF). They can be annoying to put in, and then you have to wait 15 minutes before intercourse, but they're undetectable to me. If it has been a while since we used them, my boyfriend will sometimes have some burning when urinating immediately after intercourse, but in our experience this goes away with regular use.

Also, Beyond Seven Aloe condoms were by far the best latex condoms we ever tried. I had virtually no irritation when using them, although they are still inferior to lambskin in terms of sensation.

FINALLY, I think that tracking your cycle using fertility awareness methods (e.g., calendar method) could still be a good idea. I agree that such methods alone may not be completely dependable with the irregular cycles often experienced when discontinuing hormonal bc, but they may help you understand just what your body IS doing. I wish that I had started using these methods when I discontinued the pill about seven months ago, as it may have decreased anxiety over possible pregnancy with my weird cycles (described in next post).)

Second, I just want to join the club and share my experience on and off the pill.

I started on Ortho Tri-Cyclen 8 years ago to help regulate my periods. After 2 months the doctors switched me to something else (can't even remember what) because they thought my periods were still too heavy. Same results with that pill after another 2 months, so they switched me to Loestrin. I became severely depressed on Loestrin (I was on it for another 2 months), but luckily that subsided after I switched back to Ortho T-C. I was on Ortho T-C for the next approx. 6.5 years until I stopped about seven months ago.

After stopping, I initially seemed to be more emotionally stable (I had been generally depressed for the previous year, but it is very likely that this was due as much to some big life changes as to the pill), I seemed to lose a little weight, and my sex drive definitely increased. My first 2 cycles were normal, with menstruation 28 days apart. Then the cycle increased to 38 days, then 44 days. Now it has been 69 days and counting since my last period. I was pretty freaked out about pregnancy (just finished 1st year of grad school--NOT good timing), and then I thankfully found this thread and I'm much less worried after reading about the experiences of others. I took a home pregnancy test about ten days ago, it was negative, but we have had sex since then, so I think I may test again to relieve anxiety.

After the first few happy months post-pills, I began to have some negative symptoms, including EXTREME sluggishness and lack of motivation (also a bad thing for grad school), increased acne (including cystic), and weight gain around my waist. I've always had a very thin waist and big backside, and the new little tummy I've developed is annoying.

As mentioned earlier, some of these problems may still be attritbuted to stress from moving clear across the country away from everyone/thing I know (except my boyfriend and 2 cats, which are very important) to work on a PhD.

Sorry if this was too long. Hope everyone is coping well--thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice. I'm glad I found this community and plan to check back regularly. Oh, and just for context, I'm 27.)

After 9 years of being on b/c i have finally stopped 2 months ago, and am trying to get pregnant. Friends of mine have said it could take up to 6 months to get pregnant. The 1st month off my b/c i did experience spotting, but only for 2 days, than i stopped and have not started yet. I am irritable, bloated, tired and even a little quesy feeling. But the quesyness only lasts a couple of minutes. I am wondering if this is a normal part of stopping the b/c or if i should go get a pregnancy test? HELP!)

I have been on the pill for almost 10 years (I'm only 24!) and I am thinking of getting off. I'm just worried b/c I'm not ready to have children yet and I'm in a serious relationship. I took Ortho tri-cyclen mostly, but I switched to Yasmin about 6 months ago.
    I'm not sure what it is but my emotions have been completely out of my control lately. I've been having problems in my relationship, but it feels like it's more than that. Mainly I cry A LOT, and my mind races - especially at night - and it's like all my thought are spinning out of control. I don't know if it's depression or what, but I'm wondering if the pill is contributing. I get upset and can't stop crying so then I can't sleep. I feel crazy at times, like I can't deal with things going on in my life.

I'm thinking of looking into natural methods or other options. Anyone have any advice about IUDs? I know it's more preferred for long term, and I do want to have children in the next 10 years...just not in the next 2-3 years. What are the negatives of IUDs?)

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Raunchy-Row

hey could anyone help me after stopping th pill 10 months ago i have long cycles but am ovulating, however every time i have sex a few days later i get brown coloured discharge, and also now 2-3 days before period i get the same brown discharge, i have been tested for pcos scans were fine, anyone hver any clues thanx guys

also anyone found evening primrose oil delays ovulation? thanx)

I just wanted to add my own experience (thusfar).

I was on Yasmin for a little over 2 years and went off at the end of March.

I got my "fake period" and then 32 days later I had a light, 3 day long period. Then I waited for 3 months for my next period. I think that this was my first "real" period, as I ovulated twice in that 3 months.

I had prolonged PMS type symptoms while waiting for this period: acne, which is starting to go down a bit, crazy bloating (10 lbs almost on some days!), mood swings, fatigue and random cramping.

I was about to go back on the pill but decided I would wait until September.

This period feels heavier than the last one and I have slight cramps but mostly I'm just excited to be having a "real" period.

I started on Vitex a week ago, but I have heard that Vitex is very gentle and takes 3 months to balance hormones, so I don't think it has "kicked in" yet.

I also started on Yogi Teas - Moon Cycle and Red Raspberry Leaf - twice a day in the past week. I feel like they have helped.

Shorty_Steab, maybe this link will help: <a href="http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menstruation/a/bleedaftersex.htm" target="_blank">http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menstruation/a/bleedaftersex.htm</a>

Bella )

I should also add that in the month or so after the pill, I had hot flashes, a couple crying spells, and my acne flared up something FIERCE. Once that calmed down, the PMS symptoms (but especially) bad came, so really the past few months have not been easy.

I went off Yasmin because I felt it was causing my anxiety (which is much less ever since going off the pill) and because it KILLED my sex drive. (Which is back! Woo hoo! - Took about 3 weeks though)

BTW, I did some research and found several herbs good for regulating hormones, which is why I chose the Vitex and 2 teas I mentioned. I can post that information if anybody wants me to.

Bella )

bella_b,

I've been off the pill for about 6 weeks. I too got a "fake period" and around 30 days got my real (?) period which only lasted 3 days.

During those 3 days I had severe headaches and anxiety. Since then I've had mood swings, slight anxiety and a fogginess in my head. I started taking evening primrose... I'm gonna see how that works.

How has the Moon Cycle and Red Raspberry Leaf helped you? I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks,
    Jen)

Jennifer I felt like the teas helped both by helping my period along and by easing PMS symptoms.

I also found that natural progesterone cream helped when I used it twice a day, but that was for the hormone symptoms. I think it did NOT help with bringing my period along.

Bella )

I'm so glad I found this discussion thread.

I have been on b/c since I was 15, I'm 25 now. I recently got off in March and it's been one thing after another w/ my body.

I didn't even think to check and see what would happen if I stopped taking b/c. My reason is to get pregnant.

The most embarrasing thing that has happened to me is losing a patch of hair right on top of my head. Luckily, I can cover it so no one can see it but I know it's there. I love my hair and I feel just horrible. I was depressed, had anxiety, and stress. At first, I thought losing my hair was from stress at work but as I started researching and I noticed it was a side effect from b/c as well.

Well it's been about 6mths, still not pregnant, but the depression is gone, the sex drive is back, and the weight is coming off (10lbs.). My bald patch on the other hand has not grown back:(

I'm going to see a dermatologist this month, supposedly they can give you a steroid shot in the bald spot to stimulate hair growth.

Anyway, sorry for the long thread but I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread bec it really made me feel better about knowing what's going on w/ my body. It's scary not understanding that.)

bella_b,

Hi, I just started usung the progesterone cream because I couldn't take the hot flashes and mood swings any more. Do you know if I should use it all month, except for during my period, or just 14 days prior? Hopefully I can stop using it in a few months when my hormones are more balanced. I think it is helping though.)

hey just to let u know tried evening primrose this cycle resulted in even more abnormal bleeding so stopped taking it, going to let my body get back to normal on its own this time)

hey shorty_steab
    i know this wont really help or anything, but ive been have the brown discharge when im suposed to have my periods, but ive got all the periods pain, light headed, weak, all the symptons that i normally have when i have a period, but i havent got any real blood. i was wonderin if anyone has suggested anything or given a reason to you, and if you could let me know please. send me a private message or something if you dont mind please. thank you x x)

Hi,

I have only been on the pill for a month (i've still got 2 non-estrogen pills left of my first pack) and i've decided that i don't want to be on the pill anymore due to the increased risk that i have because of me being in synthroid for my hypothyroidism. Do you think that the symptoms after quitting the pill will be as drastic as some other posts have said? I'm sort of scared because i dont want to go all through that but I dont want to stay on the pill either because of the side effects...)

toughbubble,

The side effects of stopping vary. Some women have terrible side effects, some none at all, some, like me, are middle of the road. However, I have to say the side effects I had from stopping the pill were a piece of cake compared to the side effects I had while on the pill. My main side effects of stopping the pill were cramps, backache, nausea, sore breasts (constant through the 1st 2 months of my cycle off the pill). However, those side effects were nothing compared to the anxiety, depression & super-moodiness and constant crying I had while on the pill. I was on the pill 7 years before quitting.

You may have it easy or it might be more difficult but in the long run, you would be doing your body and health a big favor by quitting. Some of the side effects I've had from quitting are downright pleasant--loss of 12 lb., increased sex drive, much improved mood and more self-confidence and my creativity coming back (I'm writing again after having quit writing about 7 years ago--wonder if that is a coincidence or not?).

Also, some things you can do to help your body--take a multivitamin, a vitamin B complex, fish oil pills--these help with mood & I've noticed an improvement with them--though it took maybe 3 weeks to notice.)

Well I'm thinking that because I've been on it such a short amount of time that my body hasn't even had a chance to get used to being on it nevermind trying to get used it being off of it. I've noticed since being on the pill that I am way more emotionally sensitive, and my breasts are more sensitive (which isnt always a bad thing considering my boyfriend could bite my nipple and it would feel good and now all he has to do is flick and wow.. but tmi...)
    Well as of right now i have my period and 2 non-estrogen pills left so i am not going to take them and just stop. Which may prolong my period... or maybe not. I've researched but as you've stated the effects vary. I just hope that I am not going to bleed for 3 months, or spot.. because I hate that...

Thank you for your input.)

hey guys, i stopped taking my pill which was that bloody microgynon) in february, i had one period after, then i had a period again in june. i havent had one since, im not pregnant, as i did a test two weeks ago. any suggestions? x)

Has anyone had hair loss from discontinuing Yasmin? Did you hair grow back?)

3. Raunchy-Row

Hello,
    I'm almost 2 months post pill and have been tracking my basal temps, etc, after reading "Taking Charge of your Fertility".
    I took the pill for 8 yrs non-stop and, needless, to say, the first cycle I was unable to decypher. The temps were all over the place. This new cycle, my temps are more oviously low, then just the other day shot up - if they remain higher, then i think its safe to say that i ovulated this cycle. HOWEVER (and this relates to your hair loss question Sari) The temps have been LOW - slightly below average, which, according to my reading, indicates decreased thyroid function. I have been noticing more shedding the past week, in fact, I counted this morning and I must've lost 50-60 hairs just during this morning's comb through.
    My question for you ladies, is: Has anyone else been charting their temps, post-pill and has noticed low temps? Did it sort itself out in a couple cycles? Or have I somehow permently damaged my thyroid by using the Pill?
    Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks.)

I am really wondering about the thyroid thing, as well.)

How long does it take for post-pill side effects to stop? I've been off it for two weeks and still am bloated and have headaches! Thanks for any help...have a Paragard IUD now.)

I have been on the pill for about 10 years. First on Nordette, then Seasonale;(same components as nordette and finally EstroStep.

I switched from Nordette to Seasonale because of my PMDD symptoms. I DID NOT want to take SARAFEM; (aka Prozac) and the Seasonale worked well for a year. Then the spotting came and I switched to Estrostep. With that, the spotting continued, my sex drive went out the window and it also caused vaginal dryness.

With all the red flags, I have decided to go off the hormones all together. It has been about two weeks and I've been really sleepy and have had a headache. I've been taking suppliments: GNC PMS Formula and Women's Vitamin blends. Once the mood swings start, maybe I'll do a little Vitex?

I'm kind of scared because I'm prone to horrible cramping and insanity during my cycles. Anyone else out there with similar fears?

Thanks to everyone for their stories. They are very helpful!)

Oh my gosh...I'm very thankful for this forum & website. As it only confirms...I'm NOT really going crazy, despite the thoughts of my head.

Okay, here goes (and based on my own personal situation, I do not believe the theory that if you're on b/c pills longer, you'll experience a more dramatic time going off them).

I began taking b/c pills for the first time in my life at age 38 a few months prior to getting married. I didn't want to get pregnant off the bat. Well, within a week I could tell a difference in my body - just not feeling real great. Come to find out later, that was right when my fiancÈ and I began arguing.

I stayed on them for ONLY TWO MONTHS - long enough for us to move the wedding out...and the reason: to stop arguing. Neither of us could put this all together. We had no idea why we were arguing.

Finally after Mom noticing that the pills were effecting me, I just stopped taking them. I was only a day or two away from starting my cycle, so I just pitched the last couple pills and the 4th week pills also.

Anyway, that was just the beginning. I was pretty good for the next two days, and then the severe headache came - it lasted about 3 days - which I'm sure was a sign of withdrawal.

Now, I just think I'm going crazy. I've been off the pills for 3 weeks, and I am so moody and irrational. I yell, scream, and cry at anything. I go from zero to 90 in nothing flat...and this is just not me!!! One minute I'm fine, the next I'm in tears...and this is many, many times per day. Yes, I would say there's a great deal of depression also...and that's not like me either. The other night I was worried just driving home, because there was so much frustration and rage inside me I just wanted to ram my brand new SUV into a tree. No, I didn't do it, but I was thankful I was almost home. My boyfriend and Mom don't know quite what to think. The one thing is that Mom recognizes is this just isn't her little girl & she tells us that all the time.

I've had enough of this roller-coaster ride of insane emotions, and I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow.

The thing I can't believe is why the hell this crap is sold to women. Why does the FDA approve this when it's effecting us so terribly...and even worse when we try to move away from it???

I know there is hope for me...and for all of you reading this message. I do hope we make it through, and I do pray our boyfriends, finances, and husbands stick through with us and know this too shall pass.

Thank you for all your storiesÖthey helped me a lot tonight. I just had to copy a few of your messages into an email for my boyfriend and Mom...so they really do see it's not just me.

Blessings to all you Beautiful Women...Michele

(You know how the emotions are when you stop taking the pills!!!))

4. Raunchy-Row

Michele68,

I got married 2 months ago at the worst of my pill withdrawal. Even though my(now) husband was understanding, it still took a toll on our relationship. It is difficult when your moods and emotions are all over the place, especially during an already stressful time.

It does get better. Good luck!)

Thank you!!!!! I'll tell him also.)

This may not be the best forum for me to be in but I really need help. My g/f of only 3 months went on NuvaRing about a month ago and things have been really different ever since. I have never been happier in my life during the first 2 months and I really love her and she loved me too. About 1.5 weeks ago, we decided to stop b/c and she did get her period but a few days later she said that she doesn't know if we are meant to be together!!! She also said that she cannot tell me that she loves me at the moment. I did say a few things that I wish I had not said while she was on b/c and she did warn me that she had bad experiences in the past using b/c. I went from zero knowledge on b/c and hormones (both male and female) to somebody who can write a book now. I'm really glad I found this website. I have apologized many times for all the things that I have said to her and convinced her that we should give it a few weeks. She is going back to school and has been extremely stressed out and I have tried to be as supportive as I can. I am really fearful that I may lose her because of this. I have been living in hell for the past 2 weeks now and I know it is not easy for her as well. What else can I do as her b/f? How can I show her that I am supportive and still love her without smothering her. Any advice that any of you kind ladies can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.)

Show her this website so she will realize she's not going as nuts as she probably feels. Continue to love and support her. She will see your true love.)

Tomorrow I will stop taking my birth control. I'm currently on the Ortho Evra patch. I have been on it since it's introduction in 2002. It seemed like this great thing at the time because I had tried the pill and it made me have my period for three weeks. Anyways, I decided to stop it when I read updated information about it. All I really want to know is what to expect coming off of it. I'm 22, my periods were regular before I went on it, just bad cramps (which is why i went on it.) All I know is that ever since I've been on it I've completely changed. I'm more emotional and moody. I gained 45 pounds from it (which I worked my ass off to lose.) and i constantly feel tired and worthless and depressed, with little or no sex drive at all. So....all I want to know is this: will I finally be happy again once I'm off this horrible drug?)

it varies for everyone I'm afraid! I'm 4 months post pill and yes I've improved but I'm not normal yet!)

I've just read nearly every post on this thread! Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories, it helps to know I'm not the only one having trouble coming off the pill.

I've been on it for the most part of 20 years, taking desogen for the last 10 since I got married, and I had no idea how hard it would be to stop. I tried a couple of years ago and had the worst 6 months of my life - terrible depression, over-sensitivity and mood swings, plus painful cystic acne. I couln't take anymore so I gave in and went back on the pill again. It was that or start taking antidepressants.

Now my husband and I want a baby so here I go again. This time I've got to sit it out. Maybe I'll be lucky and get pregnant before the worst of it hits me! I do know that this is it - I'm never taking the pill again.

Good luck to all of you, hang in there!)

Michele,
    Thank you so much for your advice. Today we talked about breaking up and I asked one last favor from her, that is to check out this website. Hopefully, she'll recognize the side-effects of b/c otherwise this maybe the end of a beautiful relationship. I don't know what else to do at this point. There should be a big warning on any b/c products about these side effects but working for a large company myself, I know they will not do that since it is "bad for business". My advice to everyone out there is be very cautious about any synthetic drugs.)

tell her to look on this thread <a href="http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/724.html" target="_blank">here</a>)

I cannot believe what's happened to me & my relationship with my "was finance," "now best friend" over this crap. Please have her email me directly at vfowler@signatureplusonline.com. I would love to talk to her. There's no reason to throw away the relationship because of the crap that's happened due to these pills.)

I've decided to write my experience of detoxing from my B.C. in a blog on Xanga. Here's the link...maybe it will be useful for someone.

<a href="http://www.xanga.com/canonesay" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.xanga.com/canonesay" target="_blank">http://www.xanga.com/canonesay</a></a>)

Great site. I was on Ortho Tricyclen from 17 to 28 with no problems of which I was aware. Came off to get pregnant (finally did at 31) and had two kids. At 34 I started the ring and it was OK. At 35 I decided to try Seasonale to avoid periods- cool idea. Well...

No joke, just two weeks ago I was thinking to myself- it's amazing that, for many years now, I haven't suffered the urinary tract infections or hemorrhoids that plagued me so terribly through my twenties. Ten days ago I started Seasonale, six days ago I developed a hemorrhoid, four days ago I developed a urinary tract infection. Yesterday I argued with my spouse, today my vericose veins (developed in my twenties-I thought due to family propensity)are raised up and bumpy. Tonight my Seasonale pills go in the garbage.

I like the hormones for diminishing the period and may go back to the ring or try the hormonal IUD. It seems like the lower/different hormones work for me.

Wow, it's amazing to me. I started the pill at such a young age that many of the things that I was experiencing I thought were just me. I'd have to say that perhaps I had the propensity for UTI's and hemorrhoids, but the pill just put me over the edge. I've had surgery for hemorrhoids. I've had elective treatment of the vericose veins. To think that maybe all of that could have been avoided....)

Looks like we're heading for an indefinite break-up. I really wanted things to work out but it's hard when only one person is trying. Maybe things will change in a few months or maybe it'll just be another lost cause. Good luck to everybody here and do try to work things out even if it means going through so much pain for a while and don't give up unless it is not worth it.)

Dear Caring Boyfriend...I'm so sorry..I wish you well. I know...it's really ****ty that the govt. allows this crap to be sold...and all it does is mess up lives!)

5. Raunchy-Row

I'm 44 and have just stopped b.c (after about 4 years), and I am experiencing the same symptoms as many other users. I'm starting to think I was better of on b.c. I stopped because I thought the pill was causing me digestive and weight gain problems, plus at my age I thought maybe it wasn't so good for me to be taking b.c (and my mom had breast cancer)And also just diagnosed a uterine fibroid. Now though I'm wondering, maybe since I am approaching at least perimenapause,maybe it would have been better to stay on -- maybe some hormonal regulation is maybe not such a bad idea? Especially since, in reading through the posts, most people seem to be worse off off b.c. than on, even after many months. Anybody in my age group or situtation who can give me their comments - happy eventually to have come off b.c? maybe better to go back on etc?
    thanks)

I stopped HBC in March (that's 6 months, ladies) and I'm STILL suffering side effects. I've got acne that I've never had before, my period starts and stops randomly for 3 weeks at a time, I get headaches and stomach aches for a week before my period(s). I've even gotten spotting between periods which, again, I never had before HBC. I finally spoke with a GYN who was responsive and honest. She's leaving practice to teach medicine so she's no longer in the Pham companies' pockets. She said none of these symptoms are unusual and recommended Mirena if I really wanted something (I'm allergic to copper) but cautioned against pills altogether. She's also looking into Centchroman for us.

The message is clear -- if you don't have to take HBC for medical reasons, don't. If you're on them, stop. I feel so much better despite the lingering side effects that I'm really a different person. Good luck to y'all in initial detox. It can be a little rough.)

Before people leap into Mirena, be aware that the same problems can occur with all steroid contraception: the Pill, the hormonal IUD, the hormonal ring, the patch, the jab or shot, the implant.

People who are prescribed these drugs for medical problems are only having their symptoms masked by these steroid drugs and often have them worsened, but many don't realize it's happening because these drugs are immunosuppressants and can introduce or worsen underlying problems but in a double whammy can suppress the warning signals, the symptoms of the side effects. So it's only when they become bad enough to break through the immunosuppressive mask that they realize there are problems or when they come off completely and the problems emerge in the open.

People considering Mirena may want to have a look at these British Medical Journal letters first which include alarming news about the rate of hysterectomy after using Mirena:

<a href="http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/sear...mp;sortspecbrief=relevance&sendit=Search" target="_blank"><a href="http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/sear...ract=&andorexacttitleabs=and&fulltex" target="_blank">http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/search?pu...abs=and&fulltex</a> t=IUD&andorexactfulltext=and&fmonth=Jan&fyear=1994&tmonth=Sep&tyear=2006&fdatedef=1+January+1994&tdatedef=2+September+2006&resourcetype=1%2C10&RESULTFORMAT=1&hits=150&hitsbrief=25& sortspec=date&sortspecbrief=relevance&sendit=Search</a>)

Hi,

I'm not too sure what to make of my symtoms and I suppose I just want some reassurance.

I took my last pill on the 28th July and started my last withdrawal bleed on the 2nd August. I think that I ovulated at around the 14 day mark - based on mucus and cervix position (not the most reliable I know). But then at day 21 the condom I was using split and I took the morning after pill.

Before I took the pill I was headachey (at the top of my spine/base of skull) and had a dull constant cramp/pain across my abdomon. Since I took the morning after pill no pains/headaches - anything. In an ideal world i would have started my period on Wednesday but there is no sign of anything happening. Is this normal after taking the morning after pill? The doctor said to go back for a pregnancy test next week if nothing has happened by then. I am just hoping that it doesnt come to that.)

Hello,
    After being on Dianette, Femodene, Mercilon, Yasmin & Cerazette over the last13 years have come off the pill due to anxiety, blood pressure problems, weight gain and recently on the Cerazette hair loss and acne which has been an absolute nightmare!
    2 weeks ago I stopped taking my pill and have since found I'm not a nervous wreck that I thought I was still waiting for an effect on the hair and skin front, though the libido is back! Only down side so far has been sore breasts and using barrier methods of contraception-good to know there are others like me out there! Chin up! Xx)

HI
    I am so happy I found this site. This is the first one I have come across that seems to have real people. I have recently come on the pill after 13 years. My husband and I have decided it was time. It seems that I have had many of the same issues that have been discussed here. But I also have a metlic taste in my mouth as well. Has anyone else had this? I seem to be eating or brushing my teeth at all times trying to get it to go away. Anyone have any ideas?)

smallgingerone,

The same thing happened to me. I stopped taking the pill around the same time and then took the Morning after pill. I have not gotten my period since. My anxiety has died down but I am still having irrational thougths and doubting myself...I can't wait to be regular again. What type of symtoms are you having?)

lg33yo - I dont seem to be having too many symptoms other than a lower libido than I ever had on the pill (may be due to my hesitation of using condoms after a couple have split) and complete numbness. I'm not really feeling anything at all. I can't decide if that is better than anxiety or not!

I took a pregnancy test yesterday to try and settle my mind and it came back negative so I think I will be going to my doctor next week.

I am thinking about going back on the pill until I can get an IUD fitted and was going to start when my period started - no idea when that will be. Think I might ask my Doc his advice.)

I'm 19. I stopped taking the pill 16 days ago. I was on Microgynon for 9 months, but it gave me terrifying mood swings and made me constantly hungry and put on about 10kg, so I changed to Cileste for the last month, but that made me retain water. I don't really need to be on the pill anymore (I've been with my girlfriend for just over 3 months now).

Since stopping, I've lost my sex drive completely. At first I was eating constantly, like how it was when I was still on Microgynon. But now my appetite is normal again, though I've been getting strange cravings a couple times a day. My skin is looking awful - I have keratosis pilaris (those little red bumps on the back of your arms, and red cheeks), and being on both types of contraceptive pill had helped that, but it's come back really bad since stopping. My breasts are also getting smaller again, they had increased by a cup size whilst taking the pill. I've had a persistent mild headache for the past week, with photosensitivity.

I didn't think that there would be any side effects from stopping the pill. In fact, the side effects now are worse than those which I had whilst on the pill, though at least I know these will get better. I thought once I stopped taking it I'd be able to feel in control. I knew it'd take a while for my body to adjust but I thought it would be more gradual than this. I think that there should be more information on eventually stopping the pill given to women when they want to start taking it - just a warning that it would take some months to feel normal again.

If I had known that the pill was such a powerful drug, which would affect me physically and emotionally to the extent it did, I would have never started taking it.)

I took my last HBC last night. I was on the mini pill for 3.5 years, and Alesse for a couple before that. I'm just sick of how the pills make me feel all the time, physically and emotionally. I'm looking at 2 options right now-Centchroman and a Paragard IUD. I'm leaning towards Centchroman (actually, I already ordered a year's supply, but it won't be delivered for a month, so I have time to think about it). I'm taking some vitamins and such to ease any transitions, but I don't think my body will freak out too much. In fact, on while on vacation earlier this summer, I missed 3 nights of my pill, and came back to my boyfriend actually wanting sex! That effect lasted about 4 or 5 days. It was great! For the years before and the months after, its been back to zero. Anyway, I'm excited to finally begin to be HBC pill free! I hope my experience will be positive. Until I'm centchroman protected, I'll be using condoms, or a sponge and spermicide combination. Not looking forward to that mess, but definitely don't want to become pregnant.

Yael--I've spent the past two days reading the Centchroman forum. I'm convinced that's the method for me. I'm interested in what your doctor has to say about Centchroman.)

6. Raunchy-Row

lg33yo - hopefully you wont have to wait too much longer - my period turned up yesterday (I was so unbelievably hapy!)

Now I'm defying all convention on this thread and taking my first pill agian today so I can be sure that I am not pregnant come IUD time. And then I get to withdraw all over again!)

I am sooooo glad I found this site. It's amazing the symptoms I had on BC, that I never made the correlation....

I'm 29, been on BC since I was 18- from Triphasil, to Ortho TriCyclen, to most recently, the patch. I actually liked the patch. My only complaint- a borderline disgust for sex! Plus, with all the media attention the patch has gotten for releasing alot of estrogen- breast cancer runs in my family so it's not worth the risk for me.

Sooo, I took it off at the beginning of August. I had my last fake period a few days later. A few weeks after, I was like "am I pregnant???" I had sore breasts, nausea, etc. But coming here put my mind at ease. I have taken pregnany tests, all negative.

I feel pretty ok- my period is rightfully due today, but based on what I have read here, I doubt Aunt Flo will be visiting today )

I can feel my drive coming back a tad, but I am moody toward my SO. We just got married last month! We should be all over each other, but yet, we have had sex probably 5 times in this past month. Doesn't help that each time, the condom has broken (eek!).

I am terrified of getting pregnant- not exactly the newlywed beginning that I am dreaming of. I ordered Centhroman a few weeks back so we will see how that works.....

Just wanted to tell my lil story. Glad to know so many women are/have gone through the same stuff.)

I have a question for anyone that can help me. I was on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for a year. I quit taking it in May. I had a period in June but I have not had one since. I have not been sexually active since May. I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. Should I be worried?)

Hi Shannon,

Lots of women have this problem after coming off steroid contraception.

The steroid sex hormones in the Pill, Patch, implant, jab, hormonal IUD or ring etc are not the same as the bodily hormones. They are much more powerful and they suppress the bodily hormones in the ovaries and also in the adrenal glands which are effectively the immune system.

When the woman takes these drugs, it's not only her menstrual cycle which is suppressed but menstruation itself. If she comes off once a month, the drug levels in the body fall suddenly and the womb is forced, entirely artificially, to shed its lining. But this is nothing to do with the woman's own hormones, not menstruation, not a sign of health, fertility or not being pregnant. It's just a drug induced withdrawal bleed. It is definitely not "delayed menstruation" because the woman's own hormones are still suppressed.

So when she comes off completely she has a drug withdrawal bleed and then may find she does not menstruate. If her own menstruation comes back, it can be anything from a couple of months to a couple of years.

It is confusing because docs, nurses and even manufacturer leaflets talk about "periods" and even "menstruation" when referring to drug induced withdrawal bleeds. Women and girls who have no idea even that a drug induced withdrawal bleed exists, then assume wrongly, but quite understandably, that somehow their own hormones kick in in the break and it's their own menstruation which has been delayed. But this is not true. It is a drug induced withdrawal bleed.

You may want to try taking a vitamin B complex, a zinc tablet, a magnesium tablet and an essential fatty acid mix of Omega 3s and Omega 6s. If you browse these boards you will find many women and girls who also have posed the same question and also have the same problem. Hope this helps.)

I am 25 years old and stoppped taking birth control on July 15 after 6 years of being on Ortho Tri Cyclen. About two weeks later I started experiencing a host of side-effects, most noticeably dizziness and foggy-head, fatigue but difficult sleeping, fast heart rate, depression and anxiety and tingling in my hands and feet. I have also lost 5 pounds (I was tiny to begin with - but now I am down to 92 lbs!!!) I went to the doctor and due to the fast heart rate, they hooked me up to a heart monitor for 24 hours, which came back normal. They then decided I had an anxiety disorder and I have have been on a low dose of Lexapro since the middle of August. The anxiety has diminished (still get mild bouts in the morning), but none of the other symptoms have improved. Went back to the doctor today. Was there for two hours and she ran a bunch of EKGs and took my heart rate and blood pressure while I was sitting, laying down and standing. She thought based on the results that I was severely dehydrated. (I have to drink 2 gallons a water a day for the next 3 days - yikes!!) She also thought I showed alot of symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I had all my blood work done about 2 weeks before going off the pill (I went off because we wanted to get pregnant so I had a full physical done) and thyroid function was completely normal at that time. She said these things can come up quickly, so is doing all my blood tests again. I discussed the birth control pill and hormonal imbalance with her but she said that would be rare and wanted to rule everything else out first. She said if drinking all the water doesn't help and my blood work comes back OK, it will be time for a CAT scan.

I know this all has to be related to going off the pill - its just way too coincidental. ANd based on other people's experiences on this board, I don't think what I am experiencing is as "rare" as the doctors think it is. But of course everytime I go to the doctor, they start to convince me that I am crazy to think that this is pill related and I start to get anxious that there really is something seriously wrong with me! She promised me we would get it figured out within a few weeks. I hope so because my husband and I are headed for Tahiti and Bora Bora in 4 weeks and I want to feel normal again. This was supposed to be our last big vacation before we had kids and spent the rest of our lives at Disney World!)

Hi Choya,

Have a look at this link especially number 4 on mental disturbance

<a href="http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=55" target="_blank">http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=55</a>

The Pill can interfere with Monoamine Oxidase levels and also with adrenalin. This can cause either depression or panic attacks or elevated blood pressure. Because the Pill is a steroid immunosuppressant when the woman is on it, these symptoms may be masked. But when she comes off it, they may emerge. The Pill does not "balance the hormones", "top up the hormones" "regulate menstruation" or "add just a little more hormone than usual".

It's an immunosuppressive steroid drugs which completely suppresses the bodily hormones both in the ovaries and in the adrenal glands - the latter are effectively the immune system so it's the immune system which is suppressed.

If you want to, take a vitamin B complex, a separate zinc tablet, a separate magnesium tablet and an essential fatty acid mix of at least the Omega 3s and Omega 6s. I would say it is important to drink plenty of plain water but I think you've already been told that! It could also be that you are iron deficient which can cause palpitations.

You may be interested in this previous posting of mine which includes information on iron deficiency and tests.

<a href="http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/2357.html#00000" target="_blank">http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/2357.html#00000</a>

Hope this helps.)

i have stopped birth control pills 3 months ago ,and did not get my period yet. I have been crying for the last month, not sleeping, sweating , and i feel like i can not do anything. I do not want to be alone. I am not usually an emotional person. now i was put on antidepressants, and given sleeping medication. i just want to be the way i was before. I was on the pill for 4 years, and to think of it i had been fighting anxiety for the same amount of time. Can anyone email me and tell me how ling this is going to take.)

I came off of the pill as a result of a pulmonary embolism (many large blood clots in both lungs) AND a huge DVT (blood clot) in my left leg, stretching the length of my thigh.

I'm 25, very healthy, do not smoke, no previous family history of this either... I did have a knee injury that prevented me from moving as I normally would. The doc's say my clots were a result of the injury but that the pill was also a major factor. When the clots happened I spent 8 days in the hospital at the end of July. Now I'm on blood thinners/weekly blood tests.

FUN FUN! O the things they do not tell you when you go on the pill. The freaky thing is that I was a "textbook" case, the ER doc's were kinda like well DUH... no wonder this happened, she's on birth control pill.

Worse yet, is my GP figures I can go back on the pill after 2 years. Ummm, NO THANKS!)

7. Raunchy-Row

Hello
    I stopped my birthcontrol(patch) last month but still no sign of periods. I know I am not pregnant. I do want to be but I know this is not the case.
    I am so worried when it would start and whats happening. I just dont know anything about all this.
    Please help me if you know something to sawanetc@yahoo.com.)

Gosh, where do I start. First of all I am glad that I found this site, cause I was real confused about getting off the pill and what the effects might be. So, my story is a little different, but it all leads up to WHY I am stopping the pill. I started taking the pill when I was 17yrs old, I am now almost 28. I first started out on Triphasil, I then was switched to Ortho-Tricyclen for problms with acne. After a few years of being on it, I began to spot, so my doc told me that I needed a higher dose. I then was switched to Alesse, and never experienced more awful headaches in my life... Took that for a month, and now I am Marvelon. So, now I am the point where I am fed up with switching pills - I hate taking pills anyway, it's the only one I do take... Well, last month, I got my period 1 day late, which didn't alarm me that much but I did find it odd. My periods usually last 3 days. Well, 7 days later and one of the heaviest periods I've ever had, it finally stopped. I was taking my pill and still had my period. So, I thought I would wait it out til this month and see what surprises I get, or if it regulated itself. Well, I always get my period on the Thursday after I stop taking my pill. I got it on Tuesday, heavy, and sorry to say it, but wierd clotting... I have wondered if it was a miscarriage cause of the consistency. I am in the process of finding that out. So, if that is the case then the pill wasn't very helpful. So, I am now fed up with the effects the pill is having on my while being on it, and that is why I am going to stop. I am concerned because I am in a commited relationship, and have been for 4 years. We are not looking to have children, but I am concerned about continuing a healthy sex life, without being on the pill. Condoms, sure, but there is no back up in case it breaks. Also, after reading the posts on this site and hearing that depression is common being on it and being off it, that kind of answers some questions. I get depressed a lot... I am not on meds for it and I refuse to do so... it's just a mask in my opinion. But when I look back, I was never depressed like I have been in the past 10 yrs. Coincidental? I think not!!! So, now my journey will begin getting off the evil drug that is probably doing more damage than good. I will not be continuing the pill after my period ends in a few days... whenever that may be. So, good luck to all of you getting off the pill, and I truly believe that us women are doing ourselves some good, in the long run anyway. If anyone has similar experiences to mine, or has any advice, I'l love to hear it.)

I have been on birth control (loestrin, desogen and then the nuvaring) for about two years now. I spent about five months on the ring, but stopped on July 24th. I am looking to be an egg donor for some family friends and must be free of artificial hormones. Though I have faithfully used condoms since stopping the ring, I have not had a period since (besides three episodes of very light bleeding - the last of which ended Sep 1st and was three days long). I don't think I'm pregnant and the test said I wasn't, but I seem to have gained about 8 pounds in the past few weeks (though I have an active lifestyle and eat salads religiously). I've also been sleeping 12 hours a night for the past week, which is very unlike me. I am so bloated, I think I actually look pregnant.

This brings me to two questions - when will my normal period start again and how long until this weight goes away? I understand that water retention is an issue and I've been doing everything that I can (10 glasses a day and low sodium). Any thoughts?)

I recently went off Birth control and was on it for 15 years. I also have had similar things happen like bloating and water retention. I have noticed weight gain in my mid section. I also am very active and am religious about eating healthy ( though I have no choice b/c of food allergies). I believe its just going to take time. Its a huge change to our bodies and I think unfortunately patience is the key.)

I think so too. Mine has gone down a bit, mostly because of how obsessively I've been drinking water. (Sometimes 3 or 4 gallons a day.) The only thing that bothers me is that I haven't had a period in almost two months which has never ever happened.)

From what I have read on this forum I wouldnt be too concerned about it. I know some friends that were on the pill for years and it actually took them 1-2 years for their cycles to become normal again. Hang in there!)

Most of these that I have read have been talking about women that stop the pill and don't have a period for a while. What about haveing a period right after stopping the pill? I stopped the pill a week ago and i started having my period and it is heavier than normal. Is this normal? Does this mean that I will ovulate sooner?)

Hi Kelby,

The bleed that you had straightaway was not your own menstruation but again a drug induced withdrawal bleed because the drug levels drop suddenly and the womb is forced, entirely artificially, to shed its lining. So you'll have to wait until the drug is out of your system entirely to see what the true state of your menstruation is.

The steroid sex hormones in the Pill are not the same as the bodily steroid sex hormones. They are much more powerful and they entirely suppress the bodily hormones both in the ovaries and in the adrenal glands. The bleeds which women get when on the Pill are not their own menstruation and nothing to do with their own hormones.

When the drug levels drop, either because of fluctuations in levels (very common with the lower dose Pills nowadays) or because the drug is withdrawn or stopped, the womb is forced entirely artificially to shed its lining. It is definitely not "delayed menstruation" and not the woman's "own hormones kicking in". It is a drug induced withdrawal bleed.

Most of the women and girls who find they don't bleed have one or two withdrawal bleeds but then find they don't menstruate.

So you'll have to wait now to see whether you will menstruate.

It is a bit confusing because docs, nurses and many manufacturer inserts use the terms "period" or even "menstruation" when they actually mean a drug induced withdrawal bleed. If a woman or girl doesn't even have any idea that a drug induced withdrawal bleed can even exist, it's quite understandable that she jumps to the wrong conclusion and thinks that the bleeds are her own menstruation. But they definitely are not.)

If you ever need some help, or someone to talk to, send me a message!

p.s.-- and tell your GP he is an idiot!!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013

8. Raunchy-Row

So, I've been off the pill for only 5 days, and already I have a headache every single day since. I do feel a sense of freedom not having to take the pill, as though I am doing something good for myself.
    I feel bad for those who have suffered extreme side effects from the pill, such as the pulmonary embolisms, and leg clots. What a terrible thing. My thoughts go out to you.)

Just wanted to give an update on my post from a few weeks ago. My thyroid and other blood tests all came back normal. I was then sent to have a CT scan and have some additional blood work done. The CT scan came back normal but my prolactin hormone levels were moderately high. (Prolactin is the hormone that controls breast milk production). I am going back for a re-test next week. Based on the information I have found online, it seems like prolactin can become elevated when on anti-depressant medication (which is what the doctor prescribed initially for the anxiety and I have now been on for 6 weeks) and when stopping usage of birth control.

As more and more test work comes back normal, my doctor seems more inclined to accept my idea that all my anxiety and foggy-head is being caused by going off the pill. She suggested that I try going back on the pill and see if everything clears up. I am really against doing that since the reason I got off the pill was to get pregnant and because I do not want to go through the horror of the first few weeks off the pill again. I am slowly starting to feel better and I do not want to set myself back 2 months. Does anyone know of any other things I can try to confirm this is being caused by hormonal imbalance brought on by going off the pill?)

Thanks for the information. I was starting to worry, but now I have a few more problems. I seem to be much happier since I stopped taking the pill, but I have not been eating as much as normal. I don't ever feel hungry anymore and when I try to eat I just feel extremely full and I want to throw up. Yet, I have been losing weight. I have been off the pill for almost a week and a half now and since then I have lost over 7 lbs. This is definately not my normal eating habits. The second problem is that I can't sleep very much. I am use to getting about 8 hours of sleep and I can't seem to sleep more than 4 hours now. Is this normal?)

I had(and still had) the opposite problem - always hungry (usually for bad food) and gained weight (which is a drag as one of the reasons that I went off the pill was that it had made me gain weight and I wanted to loos) and depressed. Why do so many people have completely opposite problems?

I have though a serious brain fog problem since going off - can't remember where my keys are, what I did last night, hoping it will all go away, otherwise I am going to start to worry.)

Hello,

This site helped me when I decided to go off the pill, and now it's saving me during the torment of getting it out of my body. I was super crazy on the pill, and a few days off of the pill I had energy that I hadn't felt for 12 years! (I am 30, and went on the pill at 18 unfortunately) I was a happy person for the last 4 months - and now all of a sudden I am that crazy girl again. My acne is back full force, my awful chin hair is growing like crazy (I don't have PCOS), my hair is falling out, I am miserable, anxious, feeling lonely even when I am with people. I would really like to hear from someone who hit this 4 month mark and hear how long this lasts. I can't go through feeling like this again!

Thank you,
    K.)

Hi Kelly,

I am in my fifth month of the pill and wish I could tell you how long this lasts, but I'm going through it too.

My first and second months off were horrible, my third month off was great, my fourth month was awful( I felt like I did my first month off) and my fifth month is not really any better. i think we really have to give ourselves a year to get back to normal. I'm 33 and was on the pill for the better part of 15 years. I think it just takes some of us longer to normalize.

I hope this helps and that you start feeling better soon!)

I was on alot of different birth ocntrol for about 10 yrs plus.. I just stopped taking it last month and i can not believe how the depression lifted. It is like I never had it. I am due to get it this week and in thepast week I had very little depression and my OCD symptoms are worse.
    When you stop the pill- are you supposed to get a normal period and on time in 30 days? I am a little nervous about this. I heard some women don't get it for months. I feel like i am going to get it.
    also- do you know what vitamins woman lack during their cycle?
    This is such a great Discussion group? Alot of your posts have helped me alot so far:)

Thanks,

Mish)

All steroid contraceptive can cause mood change and depression. Progestins can interfere with the enzyme pathways of something called MAO (Monoamine Oxidase). Estrogens can cause euphoria and steroid contraception can also over stimulate adrenaline which can cause raised blood pressure and panic attacks.)

Hi ladies,

I stopped the birth control pill in April, finally got a period in August. I felt alot of nausea in the first weeks of coming off the pill, it was really crazy.

The nausea is gone, but now I'm having (it's hard to describe) weird pelvic tenderness. I think its my bladder, but don't know for sure, and it only hurts after I pee... its really weird, I don't know if it's related or not.

Has anyone else had something like this?)

Hey there - I found this site a couple of months ago, and it has brought me a measure of hope in terms of figuring out what may be the problem with my body and my brain! Figured I would add my own horror story so that anyone else going through this can know they are not alone! I stopped taking birth control in February (loestrin) after having been on it for four years. I had just graduated, had my degree, and my husband and I were ready to start the old family thing. I cannot even begin to list all the things that ensued. Tremendous pressure in my head - especially behind my eyes, in the roof of my mouth, and across the bridge of my nose ñ and then came the awful headaches. Visual disturbances and eye pain, weakness and numbness in my limbs, dizziness, chemical taste upon waking, tachycardia, feeling like I was on an elevator all the time, blood pressure all over the place, tingling, HORRID panic attacks, only three periods in eight months, etc. etc. etc. the list just goes on an on!! I have had so much blood taken and tests done over the past eight months ñ and everything comes back normal every time. The doctors always dismissed the fact that I had stopped taking birth control as a cause for my symptoms. It's only now when I've had about every test they can think of ñ that they are willing to look at bc as a reason. Perhaps the hardest part to all of this is not having a definitive answer to anything. There are hardly any studies on the affects of stopping birth control, and so we wait everyday (amid anxiety and a host of unpleasant symptoms) to feel normal again, and wait . . . and wait. Just keep having faith and take it day by day, slowly but surely it has to get better!)

Chloe,

Thanks so much for your response - it's always good to know we aren't alone. I am sorry to hear that you still feel awful. I suppose it takes a long time to flush out something that we have put into our bodies for years. I was just so amazingly happy after I went off of it, I had no idea that it would take 4 months for bad things to start happening. But knowing how I felt the last 4 months will give me hope that this too will go away..)

Hi,

There is stuff that says why symptoms emerge after birth control but they are often ignored. The reason why these symptoms emerge only after coming off for many women are because steroid contraceptives are potent immunosuppressives. Progestins are just as immunosuppressive, if not more so, than corticosteroids.

The steroid sex hormones in steroid hormone contraceptives are not the same as the bodily hormones. They are much more powerful and completely suppress the bodily hormones, not only in the ovaries but also in the adrenal glands which are effectively the immune system.

Steroid hormone contraceptives can pack a double whammy in that they can introduce side effects but at the same time because they are immunosuppressants, they suppress the warning signals, the symptoms of these side effects. So it's only when the woman or girl comes off once a month or off completely that she experiences the side effects.

For an explanation, have a look at:

<a href="http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=263" target="_blank">http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=263</a>)

i was fine for 2 months off the pill and by far the 4 th month has been the worst. i still have not gotten a period-i hope once that happens i will feel normal again.)

Hi,
    I came off the pill about 2 weeks ago and the last week have been feeling really crap. I have had terrible headaches, feeling sick, have absolutley no energy, and feel tired all of the time. My appetite has disappeared. I can't think of any other reason why apart from coming off the pill that all these feelings have appeared. I thought it was just me..have been really moody to my new husband..bless him he has taken alot this past week. I have been on loads of different internet sites trying to see what the side effects are and to be honest there aren;t alot - so it was nice to find this site knowing that im not the only one going through this. Hope everyone gets through it quick x)

Hello

I'm new to the forum but i'm so pleased to hear that other women are going through the same. I thought i was going mad!!!!

I came off celist pill on the 27th may 2006 and had a fake period which was in July 2006, however I have had nothing since. It has been 66days in total!!!!

I felt like I had all the syptoms of pregnancy dizziness, light headaches, sore breasts etc. I have loss count of the number of pregnancy tests that I have taken.
    I was at my witts end, until I read that Agnus Castus was able to help.....
    I started taking them on friday 22nd September 2006 and today I have had my 1st real period since May 2006. It's taken me 4days.

I just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone.

I've just got 1 question if possible... How long am I meant to take them for?!
    xx)

9. Raunchy-Row

Last time I wrote it had been 5 days since I had stopped taking the pill, and I was suffering from headaches. Those have subsided, but now it has been 10 days since I got off it and I got a "period". I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is normal to have a period after you stop the pill... I have heard that it does happen, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.?. Last week I had headaches and this week I am very irritable, depressed, and moody. I feel tired all the time, and have a hard time getting out of bed.
    Seems like these symptoms are common with a lot of the women on the site, hopefully things get easier soon...)

Hi I'm 26 years old and have been taking microgynon 50 ed for the past 6 months and microgynon for 2 years befor that. recently i got in a very bad mood for about 10 days and in a fit threw my pills out and refused to take them. 3 days after i stoped taking them my period came and went as usual and i was in a better mood and happyer so my husband and i decided to try life without them. however my period is now a week overdue and i'm starting to get realy worried. my husband and i have been very carefull but you never know. so to my question is it normal for a period to be late after stopping the pill mid cycle or should my husband and i be looking at a pregnancy test?)

I see a lot of people complaining about no period, but my problem is the opposite, I've gotten it and its much heavier. I have been diagnosed with a uterine fibriod, but one symptom I didn't have was heavy menstrual bleeding, but now I realize that maybe the pill was masking it.
    Should I end up with these heavy periods,probably due to fibroid, does anyone have any non b.c. solutins? FYI,have been taking Vitrex for "withdrawal" and it seems to have really helped with lots of symptoms.)

I originally posted on August 22, 2006 ... My first period off the pill came about 28 days after I stopped, (suprise!). I had no PMS or cramps. Now, I'm about a week away from my alleged period number two since stopping the pill and I think I have PMS? I've been craving chocolate like mad! Also, my skin has broken out so badly! I have NEVER had acne problems, (even before starting the pill). I may have gained a little weight, but I'm not sure. I've been taking St. John's Wort, Vitex, Women's Mult (with lots of B), and GNC PMS Formula. I've been taking Melatonin to help with sleep. My back hurts again too, (I'm pretty active and that usually stops the hurt). To be continued ...)

FrustratedKelly, i have stopped taking the pill a year ago after being on it for 4 years and i stil have acne on face and back also lots of hair on face, tum and legs, its not pcos and cycles stil irregular at 6 weeks and have spotting throughout. the docs have tested me for all obvious things but all negative so am jus waiting to get better, also feeling fed up just want to feel normal again, i guess it takes a while though.)

Hi everyone,
    I wanna share with you all my support and I wanna share my dilemma...my fiancee started recently to talk about pill and bla, bla bla...I have a feeling it is wrong...will be really wrong for my life comfort, I have also noticed at times that women can have even mentality influenced by it? am I right? )

Hi everyone,
    I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen lo for a year, then I quit it for several months, went back on it for another year, and then immediately switched to Micrenor. I was getting migraines with OTClo...So anyway, about a month into Micrenor, I had pain that was killing me. An ultrasound showed that I had an ovarian cyst. For the next 2 months, I was experiencing pain around ovulation. The pain has lessened, but it is still there. I quit Micrenor mid-September. I stopping taking birth control completely. The day after I stopped, I started my period. Now I am experiencing pain in my neck, shoulders, and back, some acne and "acne bumps," HOT FLASHES, and just an overall feeling of sickness (slight nausea, headaches..). A girl at work with three kids said that she thinks I'm pregnant. Although I'm not supposed to start my period for another week or two, I took a pregnany test two days ago. It was negative...Does this sound like pregnancy or just symptoms of quitting the pill? My fiance and I have had sex since I quit. We did not use any contraception, but he did not ejaculate. Pregnancy IS possible, but a lot of my symptoms seem to resemble those of quitting the pill. LET ME KNOW what you all think!! Thanks.)

Hi everyone...I'm new to the board but I have to say I have felt much better by reading this board...a lot of your symptoms are not listed on the generic health pages and it's good to hear about it from real women anyway.

I'm writing because I haven't seen a lot of my symptoms on this page. I have now been off the pill for two weeks now.

Here are my symptoms: I am feeling nauseous, a strange taste in my mouth, increasingly sensitive to smells, sore-breasted, bloated/swollen, a lot of weird flutterings in my belly, some odd but not too painful cramps, and extremely fatigued. My skin has shown no signs of acne, and I have had no spotting although I have at times had a watery clear discharge.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms? There's no way I could be pregnant TWO WEEKS after going off the pill, is there? (I'd be thrilled if I was, but I'm being realistic here...) )

I stopped taking the pill nearly 2 months ago now. It took 5 weeks to have a normal menstrual period afterwars.

However, I have been bleeding very lightly almost constantly since then. This is made worse during sex when things can get pretty messy. Luckily my girlfriend is okay with it but I'm still not happy and want to be back to normal again.

Also, I find I can't get wet easily, even though I am aroused.

Does this happen commonly? How long does it take to stop bleeding?)

So I have been off the pill for 2 weeks. I was on the pill for a solid 3 years, but I have been on and off for about 12 years. The first week was heaven! I slept soundly through the night, and overall I felt great! I have started to experience some pain in my lower right right side, anyone have that? And I want to cry at everything! Even stupid home depot commercials! Also, has anyone seen a MAJOR increase in having a clear discharge when they have a bowel movement? Yeah, I know, pretty talk right? Any info reagrding this would be awesome! Thanks!)

So, I'm 21 and go to Cornell University, and I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone here. I was on the patch for about 6 months, tried seasonale for 1 cycle (3 months) but was spotting the whole time, and I finally switched to Ortho Tricyclen. I was on that for about 1.5 years, and stopped taking it 7 weeks ago.
    Since then I've cried 3 or 4 times a day at the most ridiculous things, and have been scared to be alone. I've been switching from constantly hungry to having no appetite, and have yet to have a regular period. I've had sex two or three times since I stopped the pill, but I'm fairly certain I'm not pregnant. I've been bloated and have had severe pain in my lower right abdomen followed by twinges in the lower left. I also have bad acne since I've stopped, which I'd never had before. I'm also having a very hard time sleeping, but can't seem to get out of bed in the morning either.
    This site has saved my sanity. I've always been a little depressed, and was starting to think I was just losing it. But the fact that so many others are experiencing the same thing leads me to believe it's "normal".
    I think it's crazy that companies and doctors seem to have no responsibilty to warn patients about these withdrawal symptoms. When I wanted to start the patch, I had to meet with a doctor at my university twice to get the prescription and again for a follow up. For seasonale I needed a pre-change meeting and a one month follow up. Then, the same for Ortho Tricyclen. But when I called to make an appointment to discuss stopping birth control, I was told that wasn't necessary and they'd make a note of it on my file. I was told I didn't need to come in for a follow up either. So basically, I'm on my own.
    I think it's absurd that so much emphasis is put on making sure patients are happy with their pills, but nothing is done to make sure things go smoothly during withdrawal. You'd think at a university with such high stress the health center would be worried about students' stress and anxiety being magnified, but I guess not. ::Sigh::
    All I know is I hope this ends soon, and I'm going to talk to everyone I can to force companies to more accurately outline withdrawal symptoms in the literature that accompanies their drugs.)

Dear Ghropi,

I feel your pain! You are not alone, and you are absolutely right that health care practitioners should warn people about withdrawal symptoms. I wonder if they figure that since you're not forking over megabucks for their pharmaceuticals, they don't need to help you anymore...don't you just love how that works?! If you want to know why something operates the way it does, follow the money...anyway, you're absolutely right about that.

Regarding your symptoms, it's absolutely normal to have mood swings and magnified emotions when anything hormonal changes in your body, though I didn't notice it nearly as much going on the pill as in going off of it.

With regard to the pain in your left and right sides, that's probably your body trying to ovulate again on its own after being suppressed over the long term with birth control hormones. The other way you know you're ovulating is if you have a clear, stringy, sticky gel-like discharge. That is cervical mucous, designed to help keep the sperm alive and get it to fertilize the egg.

If I had known the withdrawal symptoms would be like this, I might have thought twice before going on the pill in the first place. Although I described all of my symptoms (major breast pain/tenderness, constant nausea, cramps, moodiness, fluttering in my belly, irritable bowel syndrome, fogginess) to my sister, who got pregnant while she was ON the pill, and she thinks I'm probably pregnant. She said, "Any body that's having such serious hormonal issues without being pregnant is really screwed up!!" I thought that was hilarious.

So you are not alone...keep coming back to this board; I have and I love it. It's a huge source of peace of mind to hear real women's experiences! Thank you all for your posts!)

Quote:Originally posted by dcgirl:
    I recently stopped taking birth control (about three months ago). I was on Orthocyclen for five years and decided to go off the pill because it was causing me severe anxiety and depression. I have felt great for the last three months- I have only had the occasional sad day or two during my period. But last week I started feeling depressed again, and it has lasted five days so far. Has anybody else had this problem? I feel like I am back on orthocyclen again even though I am not. How long does it take for your body to regulate after being on the pill for years? I'm so glad to have found this forum! 6 months ago I came off BC (tried many but finally settled with Cilest) after 15 years because for the past year it had been making the bad days - which most people have - seem intolerable. I have certainly never suffered from any form of depression prior to this.

Now I seem to be stuck with chronic wind (TMI, sorry), PMS and infrequent bouts of terrible sadness and anxiety, with the week after my period finishes the only time when I feel halfway normal!

I exercise regularly and have a very healthy diet (don't smoke, hardly drink any more) so the thought of suffering this until the chemicals are finally out of my system is distressing. I have got a few ideas from this thread, though, so will try them out. Cheers.)

Of all the pills I was put on over the years I have to say my Cilest experience was the worst for depression! You made to right choice to quit it!

Been pill free for 2 months now and am spotty and losing hair on my head gaining facial hair and have some semblance of a normal period around the time it should be as well as a few extra spotting episodes with clots?! So I'm hanging in there waiting for it all to be over and back to normal. Have not been experiencing the deep depression anxiety thing which is brilliant!

Find the well woman supplements are good and have been drinking more water in a vain hope of flushing out all these toxins! Oh and lots of yoga has been helping loads!! Xx)

Thanks for sharing, PurpleLady. I've ordered some St John's Wort and Evening Primrose to see if they help.

It's a real shame that Cilest affected me so badly in the end, given that it was the only oral contraceptive of those I tried which didn't cause breakthrough bleeding and huge weight gain. Talk about swings and roundabouts.

Pleased to hear that you've been successful in coming off the Pill )

10. Raunchy-Row

So, it has been a month being off the pill. I just got a period 4 days ago... very heavy and a lot of clotting. The periods last about 7 days now... that was how long I had it before getting on the pill, when I was 17. I don't really feel that different anymore... slight headaches at times, and cramping when I don't have a period. I still feel good about not taking the pill... the sides affects can be so bad... don't want to take any chances. I don't trust doctors and their pill pushing ways anymore.)

hi i am new to this board i was taking cerazette mini pill for a year and have taken many others before that i have recently 3 weeks ago came off the pill as i was sick of feeling ill i put up with it coz i had to,i had terrible skin headaches loss of sex drive nausea.being off it for 3 weeks hasnt gone smoothly i feel dreadful ive got back ache bloating headaches i feel tired easily upset is on going i cant win ill when im on it or off it.how long should i feel like this)

I feel so much better now that i have read all of your comments. I stopped taking the bcp in Aug. and still have not had a period. I searched and searched to find any kind of answer and then came across this site. Thank you so much for helping me feel like i am not alone. Im just wondering how long i need to wait til i will start. I have been on the bcp for 5 yrs. So does that mean i wont have one for awhile.)

Hi everyone.
    I'm 36. Been on the pill (mainly Microgynon 30) for most of 20 years ( had a 3 month break back in 1994). A few months ago, after a scary chat with one of my doctors ( he was worried about my age etc) I decided that it was about time to stop the pill. I finally took my last pill on 3rd October and had a copper IUD fitted on the same day by another doctor ( female who incidently said she had no concerns with me staying on the pill!!!).
    No one mentions anything about withdrawal symptoms from the pill. I am only having minor probs at the moment - just some cramps and acne- but 2 days ago I had also suffered the pelvic tenderness as someone mentioned on 24 sep 06. The doctor assumed it was urine infection but within a day the symptoms went away so I havent started the antibiotics yet.
    I'm amazed that there is so little information available and when I found this site I was as relieved as the rest of you - although a little worried about what is possibly to come. I spent 4 hours reading the whole thread from start to finish. However, I have resolved to stick with things no matter what.
    My partner is worried that using this site may really wind me up, but otherwise he is supportive and knows it will take months to get things right. No matter how good he is I still feel that it is good to discuss things with those who know exactly what you're going through. I really wish everyone the best. Speak to you soon.)

This discussion is great. After two years of
    taking the pill (Levlen ED) I decided to stop taking it three weeks ago. My first week after the withdrawal bleeding was fine, however the last week has been terrible. I have been suffering severe cramps, nausea, and breast tenderness.

I went to a doctor yesterday to find out what was wrong with me and he knew nothing about it. But I'm not pregnant. He prescribed me some painkillers to stop the cramps hurting so bad but they didn't work anyway.

I just want to know how long these symptoms are going to last. I asked my sister-in-law, who is also a nurse if she went through these and she didn't and hadn't even heard about it. Why is there so much information about effects when you start the pill, but none when you stop? I never had any problems before I started the pill or while I was on it. Why now? Why does this happen and why aren't we told about it????)

I'm SO GLAD I found you all. I was about to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. I have been off the pill for 1.5 cycles and I feel like I'm losing my mind!

It's so weird that ever since I stopped the birth control pills that I've been feeling so unlike myself. I've got a perpetual lump in my throat like I'm going to cry, but I'm not sad about anything. I'm feeling anxious all day long and I'm waking up 3-4 times a night. It's like I'm dreading something or getting prepared for somebody to scare me, but I have nothing to dread or be afraid of! My heart is beating like crazy and seeing the scary movie (The Prestige) the other night made me want to leave the theater because my chest was hurting so bad from the tension of the movie plus the anxiety that was already there. Oh, and I've had no appetite whatsoever...more like a sick stomach all day long. I bet if I stepped on the scale right now, it'll show that I've lost 5 pounds.

This is extra weird since I didn't have ANY symptoms like this ever in my ENTIRE life before going on the birth control pills. If ever there was a time that I would have had good reason to be anxious, it would have been right before my wedding with graduating, finding a new job, planning a wedding on no money.....etc........ But I wasn't anxious then at all.

I don't want to go back on the birth control pills because I'd like to be off synthetic hormones the whole year before I try to get pregnant. But then, I don't like the idea of Prozac with all the scary side effects. Ack.

I mean, do you think that this could just be like withdrawl from the hormones and it's going to just phase out? I wish it was just PMS, but it really began after my last period. Ugh, this is so annoying.

I'm not depressed. I'm happy...but happy in the manner that I'd be if I was about to get up and do a speech in front of 5,000 people....every second of the day. Anxious!)

After reading through this thread, I am getting so angry at doctors for putting us on these pills without warning us of their effects. Are there no studies done on women who have been on the pill for years? I'm also kicking myself for taking any medication so blindly. I could just spit fire right now.)

Hi everyone, I found this board and thought you guys might be able to help. I posted a similar story on two other discussion boards and I hope I'm not repeating myself too much. I was on the pill for almost three yeras and then back in May, I wanted to skip a period so I took two packs back to back. Right after that, I felt horrible and very bloated so I decided to stop the pill for a while (a little over a month) During that month I felt fine, but then I started taking it again and that's when I started having these symptoms, bloatedness and pelvic pain on the left side and terrible depression. I felt so bad that after two packs, I decided to stop altoghter and I actually stopped again with about five pills left to go. I had my withdrawal bleed three days after I stopped. Which is about two and a half weeks ago. I've been feeling pretty well except for this tight feeling on one side of the abdomen. It comes and it goes. While on the pill I was also having bad anxiety attacks and very depressed. I had my annual pelvic exam about two months ago, at the time I had had sporadic pain but I hadn't really noticed and didn't say anything to my doctor. She didn't find anything on her own, which doesn't mean much, I know. I know this is long, Thanks for any help.)

Athina, you do not specify which pill you were on, but I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 7 years and for 2 of those seven years, I did 3 packs back to back so I would only have my period 4 times a yesr. Not a good idea at all. I did not experience pelvic paid but my moods were off and I did have excessive bloating for most of the time. I had high levels of anxiety and depression when I was on OTCLo, and after I stopped the pill it all went away almost immediately.

I would go back to the doc and explain in your abdomen to your doc, it may ease your mind to find out if it is muscle strain or something more serious.

I do notice a bit of pain when I ovulate, usually on my left side, like a little pinch. Perhpas your ovaries are adjusting to normal,natural function after taking the pill for so many years.

Also, I notice that many people here are concerned about getting their real period after coming off of the PIll or other HBC. I would suggest you monitor your periods, if you get them, closely for a few months. If you don't get them, monitor your moods and physical state week by week until you do get your period and then watch your periods for a while until you figure out your individual cycle. I take the 28-day cycle as a rough estimate for a woman's normal cycle, not an absolute. when I was off HBC (pill 7 years, 1.5 year break, NR for 1.5 years and now off HBC again permanently) I had a 5.5 to 6 week cycle, which was the length of my cycle pre-HBC too.)

Thanks Amy. I have been feeling better lately, but I do notice that the little "pinch" feeling comes in the middle of my cycle and I haven't had my real period yet after stopping my pill, only the initial withdrawal bleed. Other info is that I'm 25 and was on ortho cyclen. I've been taking fish oil as a supplement for my moods and to help balance the hormones. I did this after I saw it on this board. Thanks for your help.)

Would like to start out by saying: Thank god for this forum! I have within the last 2 weeks gone off BCP, which I have been on for the last 15 years straight. I am so happy now knowing that I am not insane!

I have been on so many BCP I can't remember all the names, the most recent ones, 2 years of Yasmin.

Decided to quit because I have a sneaking suspicion that they are causing my horrible migraines, as I do not ever recall having them before I went on BCP. Also, I am tired of taking synthetic pills & Hubby is also interested in starting a family.

2 weeks on withdrawal has been rough. I have experienced severe mental foggyness, a persistent headache that nothing will cure except chocolate for the past 2 weeks, sharp heart pains- so much so I supposed I could be having a heart attack, nausea, dizzyness, inability to focus on anything- zombielike, periods of extreme sadness, monumental fatigue- sleeping as if I've never slept before, can no longer get through my work outs- and I'm athletic...

Regardless, I am not ever going back on BCP. The last couple of days, thanks to the chocolate, my brain has finally returned to the building, if at least for brief periods of time. I feel better, but I know it is only temporary, and hope that it isn't.

Thanks to you all for helping me get through this.)

Heather...I had the same symptoms as you coming off the pill. Just try to feel comforted that you really aren't losing your mind..its just your body trying to figure out where its estrogen and progesterone went! Keep your chin up and it will pass eventually. But if the anxiety gets unreasonable maybe you could try to use anti-anxiety meds sporadically (not an antidepressant which are long term meds). I had horrible horrible anxiety and finally broke down and started taking a med at night so I could sleep. It helped a lot and looking back I would have even been more aggressive with the meds. I dont think people should feel guilty or dirty about taking them if you need them. Just make sure you dont take too much and set yourself up for more withdrawal symptoms again in the future.)

Hi Heather,

This is Jenergy 808, my original post is on page 26 of this forum. Basically I am suffering the same symptoms as you. I too have never been anxious or ill in my entire life until after stopping Yasmin.

After 6 months, I really did not improve much at all. All the doctors couldn't find anything except a mild case of hyperthyroidism that didn't need treatment. BCPS have been proven to affect thryoid function.

So anyway after all this time, I felt like I couldn't take it anymore as I felt my whole life is ruined be feeling sick day after day.

I was so against taking Prozac because I was so scared of the side effects etc. BUT both my gastroenterologist and my regular dr. recommended that I try it because it has been prescribed for women with PMDD (pre menstrual dysphoric disease) and also for people with stomach problems.

So in my mind I thought that at least prozac will not mess up my hormones like bcps did. I did a TON of research and found thousands of positive things on prozac. Of course you are going to find negative things because literally millions of people are taking it as it one of the most prescribed drugs in the world.

I read that Prozac is the best ssri in terms of getting off it because it has a long 9.3 day half life. So withdrawing should be very smooth as long as it is done gradually, not cold turkey.

Also I read some interesting medical reports saying that the dosage recommendations are flawed. Meaning would you prescribe the same dose to Granny as you would Shaquille O'neal? Also tests show that patients taking the recommended 20 mg. showed improvements of 60 percent, while those taking only 5-10 mg, showed 50 percent improvement. Why should you take Double the dose for only a 10 percent more improvement rate was basically what the article was trying to get across.

So, reluctantly I tried Prozac about a month ago starting at only 10 mg, every OTHER day. The results were pretty amazing. I had absolutely ZERO side effects, my stomach has been digesting better, no serious anxiety attacks and for the first time in 7 months I have gone through my cycle with no noticebaly "bad" cycles. I don't have breast tenderness anymore, and I finally feel like I am turning a corner.

So for those of you out there who are suffering in a similar fashion with no relief, I really recommend talking to your dr's about Prozac. Because really the bcp's you put into your bodies for so long which totally screwed up our hormonal balance is so much worse than Prozac. Don't be afraid of the side effects. Just take a low dose as you don't need high dosages to correct our type of problem. You cannot really expect to find relief from natural products because you put bcps in your system, you are going the need more than berries to direct your body back into balance. I am not saying that natural products don't have benefits, but rather they are too weak for our problems and usually only provide a little relief.

Look into Prozac and how it is prescribed for PMDD. If it can help treat this type of hormonal womens problem, it can definitely help in our situation.

For those who do decide to try it please update me on your progress.

Good luck and best in health.)

11. Raunchy-Row

Everyone, I forgot to mention that I notice the bad symtoms come in cycles. For me, I felt absolutely horrible right after my period form a bout 7-9 days.
    It wasd like clock work every month would be the same.

Do you all notice if your bad symptoms are cyclic? Try to keep track of your monthly symptoms and I am sure you will find a pattern.

Take care.)

I've been freaking out for two months thinking that i was either pregnant, even though i've taken three tests that were negative, or had some sort of terrible disease.
    I was on the patch for two years and I just came off of it a few months ago. I had one period(early) right after I came off of it but none since then, it's been over two months.
    I have really intense bloating and discomfort, I am incredibly depressed and unable to focus for no reason at all. I'm 19 years old and an honor student but i'm afraid my grades are severly dwindling. Also I have had a very unusual amount of different kinds of unidentified discharge for months that have been scaring me. I have such bad anxiety that my skin will turn bright red, irritated, and itchy. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep at night although I am very tired all the time.
    I've felt like I've had no where to turn and no one to talk to, understand, or tell me what could be happening to my body.
    I find it appalling that I had absolutely no idea that coming off of birth control could have symptoms. How could all the docters I have seen not have mentioned this? How could none of my family or friends on birth control know about this?
    It's been such a good feeling to find this message board, to feel like there are countless women out there who can relate.)

How is this the only place I can find info about the effects of going off bc? I even tried talking to my dad, who is a family practice doctor, and he blew me off!

I was on Tri-Levlin for over a year and a half, and finished my last acticve pills on 9/23. I didn't make he connection until now, but i had the worst headaches on and off this last month. I also had chest pain, and oh the emotions! I was worried that I wouldn't get my period for a few cycles, like some of the other posters, but it finally came last night. I'm anxious to get my body back to normal, and then maybe get pregnant!)

I'm 5 weeks post pill and I'm happy to say I'm back to normal. I feel comfortable in my body again.

I never even knew that there would be side-effects from coming off the pill. You think that once you stop putting something in your body it will cease to have an effect on you.

It's weird how the side effects of stopping the pill were so similar to the symptoms of pregnancy. For me at least. Waking up feeling nauseaous, with a headache, bloating, no, severe bloating, etc.

I'm also glad to say that some of my weight has fallen off.

Just wanted to share that, cos this discussion was really helpful.)

I'm glad I found this site. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information on this topic. I was on ortho tricyclen for over 15 years and stopped 2 months ago. Since then my side effects have been terrible. Why is it that doctors don't warn you about withdrawl symptoms. I constantly feel like crying and just an overall feeling of depression and lack of motivation or excitement. Of course all these emotional aspects have negatively affected my new marriage of 7 months. In addition to the emotional aspect, I have lost so much hair and it's constantly falling out. Is anyone experiencing hair loss to this extent? The hairloss is adding to my depression and anxiety. I guess on the brighter side of things I have lost about 5 pounds which is nice. However, I would trade the pounds back in for a better mood, fuller hair and just an overall better attitude. Anyone feeling this way?)

ABedofRoses, I hope this site helps you to know that you're not alone. I too suffered some depression (along with chronic, but thankfully mild, headaches) after coming off OTC. I stopped OTC 4 mos ago due to it causing significant anxiety symptoms. Please know that the withdrawal does get better.

Having that much hair loss makes me think you should have your thyroid (overall hormone levels) levels checked. Many others have experienced hair loss as well as other symptoms. Good luck to you and keep your chin up. It may also help to show your new hubby this site -- so that he can see that others are experiencing the same withdrawal symptoms as you and to help understand what you're going through. Keep us posted! )

Kota, thanks for your response. I will be getting my thyroid checked next month, though i had it checked months ago while I was on the pill and everything was fine. Maybe things shifted since I stopped the BCP. For those of you who have experienced hair loss did it happen right away and for how long? I just hope it stops sooner than later, just starting to see my scalp which of course is making me even more anxious. I always had thin hair but the last 2 months have definitely been noticeable....and of course i wish my mood would change, i'm up and down so often and it really is putting a strain on my marriage. thanks again for your response!)

I certainly hope I don't lose any hair. That's the last thing I need. Mine's fine enough as it is! I'm worried about having permanently altered my body's hormone production and the fear of always having low libido. I'd only been on birth control for a year and a half (OTC Lo) so I'm hoping I won't be as affected as I'm fearing I might be.

After reading some threads here, I just started taking a One-a-Day multi, B6, and Vitex. This was my last day of the active pill and so I haven't started my last "pill" period yet. I'm hoping the vitamins will get me back on track soon.)

12. Raunchy-Row

Me again I took Vitex during my transition as well. My transition was smooth, but who knows if the Vitex helped. I only took it for a month then stopped. Several months later I started a "menstrual support" blend that has Vitex in it, hoping to help my PMS, and instead had my worst month, emotionally. Somewhere here, there is a thread specifically about Vitex. Or search "Vitex" in the forum. There has been some documentation of Vitex making moods worse in women for whom depression is a primary PMS symptom. Just be aware it isn't magic for everyone. That made me suspicious, even though that first month had been fine. So, I quit that blend and added the Omega, zinc/copper, magnesium to my supplements. Happy camper ever since. It's worth a try, just be aware.)

I was on alesse for about a year and a half and I pretty much forgot to take it for the last two months being on it. So I stopped. I know I wasn't on it as long as you but i still had the same side affects. Crying feeling depressed stressed out. And it was really bad because i just started college and was really strapped for cash, because i was laid off from my seasonal job. But still i couldnt handle everything, i was on an emotional roller coaster ride. My boyfriend noticed it and we both came to the conclusion it was most likely side effects from going off the pill. One minute i would be happy care free wanting to do anything then an hour later depressed and wanting to go to bed. I sleep now longer. I dont eat as much and have lost about 3 pounds in the last month. Im late about a week and thats what made me look up the side effects. I mean there was a possibilty i got pregnant but i had taken the mornin after pill. soo all and all you just gotta talk to your boyfriend and tell him what your going through really you cant help it. I havnt really been as emotional lately so i think its going away. And hopefully it will for you. Just talk to him im sure he'll understand and tell him you really need him to be understanding and that your sorry if you get to "crazy" for him.
    nat)

I have read though most of the posts on this thread and others on this board that you guys are saying your not getting your period. I have all the other sypmtoms you guys are having except for the last month (my second cycle off bc) I have had my period three out of the four weeks! Am I the only one with this problem??? HELP!)

Shawna I too years back went off the pill for about 9 months and had my period for about 2 months non- stop. I know what you are going through but stick with it and you will get through it your body truly needs to adjust. I recently went off birth control in July after 16 year and I am staying off of it for good. Once these symptoms subside you will be glad you did it!)

Hello,

I just wanted to post to let you know that at my 4 months I had felt as bad as I had felt on the pill AND my hair was falling out, my skin broke out and felt generally awful. BUT - this only lasted about 8 or 9 days and I have been back to feeling good since then. You will get over it, and I know that if this happens again, it will pass. Stay off of the pill, and be happy knowing you will have mental freedom once again...

Kelly)

You gals are really starting to worry me that my hair might fall out! I really hope it doesn't. I'm trying to grow it extra long.)

What an eye-opener following this thread has been! Maybe we will all learn something from this and in the future be very careful with what we put in our bodies! I went off Yasmin 10 days ago and have had headaches, fatique and elevated moodiness. I had these symptoms ON the pill, but they seem stronger now that I am off of it. My husband and I want to have a baby next year so I pray that my system gets back to normal. I was just thinking that I wish I had my former life back (no headaches, more energy,etc.). The negative symptoms crept up on me and I didn't read them correctly. I was on Depo-Provera for about a year and Yasmin for a year and a half. Like many of you, it just doesn't make ANY SENSE why we weren't warned about the side-effects. Best wishes in your recovery. I will share anything I learn as I recover.)

I was on Yasmin for several years.
    Been off now for 3 weeks or so.

I am losing a lot of hair & my hair is already thin.

Is it going to grow back? This is really upsetting.)

Hello,
    I've read all through these posts and feel a fraction better than before. I looked every where for some information on stopping birth control medication, but it seems there isn't much to find.
    I've only been on birth control for 3 months, and stopped about a week-and-a-half ago. While on my birth conrol I had been having trouble breathing, constant cramps, and was always nauseous, though I was VERY hungry. Also, I was like a different person. I used to NEVER have arguments with my boyfriend, and then it seemed I had EVERY reason to get mad about everything, or cry about everything.
    Since stopping my medication, I've lost my appetite, I'm still nauseous, bloated, have constant headaches and feel like I'm an emotional wreck! My boyfriend constantly blames himself whenever I cry, and I can't seem to get better! I feel like I'm insane and can't control myself.
    Please, can someone give me advice on what to do? I'm only 17 and was forced into using birth control by my mother, and she doesn't know I've stopped taking them. I told her of my horrible chest pain, but she shrugged it off. I know I may sound a little immature, but I'm scared because no one can help me but myself. My chest still hurts and has a heavy feeling to it. I do hope I'm not pregnant. I'm sorry if you think I should just go back and re-read the posts. I really do appreciate help though.

~Emily)

13. Raunchy-Row

What about Ortho Tricyclen Lo? Has anyone lost any hair after stopping that brand?)

All steroid contraceptives can cause hair loss. There are a number of reasons why.

1) An immediate allergic or autoimmune immune type reaction where the hair falls out.

2) A build up of yeast overgrowth because the Pill is a powerful immunosuppressant. Yeast overgrowth can lead to hair loss.

3) An unnatural lack of/imbalance of basic nutrients caused by the drug, especially the vitamin Bs, zinc, magnesium, Omega 3s and Omega 6s and sometimes iron.

4) Because progestins can be more akin to bodily testosterone than bodily progesterone (progestins totally suppress bodily progesterone both in the ovaries and in the adrenal glands, effectively the immune system). In this way, they act no differently than anabolic steroids and, just as anabolic steroids can cause loss of scalp hair through a gradual hair thinning with every cycle of hair growth, so can the Pill, jab, patch, hormonal IUD or ring etc. This may not be noticeable at first because every cycle of hair growth takes several years but gradually the hair becomes thinner and frailer until it may fall out as well, either while the woman is on the drugs or after she comes off them.

It's in the nature of steroids and these drugs are steroids.)

Another thing I wish I'd known about before going on these things! I wish I would have known everything so I could have weighed the good vs the bad. If I could do it all over again, I would've never been put on them.)

Yeah wish they said all this before they tell you how wonderful it is!! My hairline has been steadily receding for the past 4 months since coming off the pill and once thick hair is pretty pitiful now! Am going for the drastic haircut in order to help the growth hope it gets back to normal soon as I'm not looking forward to a GI Jane look!

And to top it all off the spots are still around on my chin and forehead, big painful ones that leave behind scars, I'm really hoping that the Isotrexin dermatological cream will take care of those. Getting through an alarming amount of concealer in the mean time!

But I have to say it has been worth it for the mental clarity, for the first time in years I feel sane. Actually having different emotions instead of being constantly emotional and needy! So do hang on in there everyone!! Chin up and keep smiling! Xx)

Just wanted to drop in and give an update... I posted a while back that I had gotten my period back after having it two weeks before. Well, after having it for three weeks in a row, it finally went away. I did go to the doc and he wanted me to go on a different bc pill. I wanted to wait it out because I was tired of the side effects. Good luck to everyone.)

So just curious.....for those of you who have lost a lot of hair after going off BC, how long did it take to grow back?)

One more thing - I have been off of BC (Nuva Ring)for one week. I still have my "fake" period (finishing up 2 weeks now). I'm not too concerned about that as I have read many posts of this complaint. Also, when I was on NR, I started experiencing this too. After 1 week, I haven't really experienced any changes yet. I guess that is good and bad....but I know everything takes time, so we will just wait and see.

One thing that I have been experiencing is a dull ache in my low back and quadriceps. It is not that uncomfortable but as with anything I tend to obsess over things until I hear that other people have experienced it too. Has anyone experienced this when coming off BC? Please let me know, so I can stop trying to research it. I seriosly think I am a hypocondriac.)

SrGal-
    I'm about a month and a few days off BCP (yasmin).

Still losing hair but the nioxin shampoo system I've been using seems to make it somewhat better.

Also, having lower back pains for about a week, especially at night for some reason...
    not sharp pains, but dull throbbing aches.

I did finally get a period though (last week), not sure if it was withdrawal one or not. But the cramps that came with it were some of the worst I've ever had. My flow was extremely heavy as well. That may have been what caused my lower back pain, but I'm not a doctor, so I dont really know.

Hope you're feeling better!)

I am only a couple weeks post pill now, but still the only symptoms I've had is a headache here and there which now I'm not even totally sure they're pill-related. I lost 2 lbs so far (hope to lose more), but no loss of hair or any acne (at least, not yet!).)

I was on Orthotricyclen lo for almost 7 years, after having a baby 8 months ago the doctor put me on trivora - it made me very sick for the past 6 months I stopped taking it 7 days ago and have been an emotional and physical mess since. Pretty much feeling morning sickness, depressed and having 2 panic attacks. What can I do to feel normal again??? Please help.)

so FLOWERPOWER what do you suggest to do to prevent as much as possible hair falling out?
    I too, have very thing hair and extremely self conscious and paranoid about this as well. I have not yet gone off the pill but am seriously considering it. Right now I take the vitamin B Complex everyday on top of my multivitamin and also a special vitamin to maintain healthy hair, skin and nails which contains b vitamins as well.
    Please help! I don't wanna go bald, I'm only 23 )
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013

14. Raunchy-Row

I cross posted this in a couple of places...so sorry for the repetition.

Hi everyone, I am new here and just stopped taking my birth control a couple of days ago. I took my NuvaRing out midcycle...but really my cycle was all messed up this last month as I got my period a week early, took out the NuvaRing, and then decided to take it out all together as hubby and I want to try for a baby in the next year. Now I am really glad I took it out so far in advance after reading some of these posts! Any feedback as to what I can expect in the next few weeks as my body attempts to normalize? Funny thing is I am a medical student who wants to go into Ob/Gyn, and I could ask my attending, but I don't want anyone to know we are ttc yet.)

Hi, I am so glad I found this website. I really hope some of you ladies can help me. I am 28 years old, mother of 2 and married. I feel like I am loosing my mind. I am so scared I am going to be put away. I have been on b/c pills for 2 1/2 years. I was on Aleese for most of that time, just until September I had an ovarian cyst rupture, so they switched me to Yaz. I was on Yaz for almost 2 months and stopped myself in the middle of a cycle. I could not deal with the side effects. I could not stop urinating,(I think this was due to the diuretic in it. I had severe stomach problems, like IBS which I never had before. I stared getting insomnia and then kicked in the severe anxiety and depression. have been off of Yaz and any b/c pill for exactly 3 wks now. The anxiety and depression is not getting better. The urination stopped about a couple of days after going off and so did the stomach pains. Now I have this horrible thing which I have not seen anyone mention which is scareing me, Whenever i try to fall asleep, my body starts jerking at night. It's horrible. I also have shortness of breath with it. I can't sleep. I am so exhausted. This started when I switched to Yaz. I am so scared I have something bad now like a brain tumor or something.I have had so much anxiety this past month I developed TMJ, and severe neck and back pain. I went to a Chropractor for the first time yesterday and he said he has never seen someone so stressd and tight as me. It looks like I was in an automobie accident. The doctors think it's anxiety and gave me XAnax. I don't want to take it because I am afraid of addiction. I have not read anything about this being caused by anxiety. So now I have got anxiety so bad I have convinced myself I am dying of something. I can't spend time with my children because I am afraid to look at them without crying. I am afraid I won't be there for them. As i write this I am sitting here crying my eyes out. I don't know what happend to me. I was a social happy person. I had mild anxiety but nothing like this. I had a wonderful marriage and now my husband does not know what to do with me. I feel like I am breaking his heart and everyone I love. I just want to crawl under the sheets and go to sleep until this is over and I can't ever do that. Whenever I go to lay down my heart starts racing, rapid heart beat and then the jerking of my body starts ast soon as i dose off. It just keeps happening. How could a pill do this? I was fine until I started Yaz. NOw I feel like Iam slowly dying. Could this be related to stopping the pill or have I really just gone crazy? I am so scared. Will I be able to get through this? It's been 3 wks how long could it take. I also lost weight which is really bad for me I was only 94lbs to begin with. NOw I am barely 90lbs. I spend hours on the internet searching my symptoms. Then all these horrible disease come up and I start going into a panick attack. Can anyone give me any advice. Please anything would be appreciated.)

Dejay78,

You're not going crazy. I had TMJ and the muscle jerking from the anxiety too. If you're not already, it's a good idea to take at least a multivitamin, a B-complex, magnesium and Omega 3 and 6 capsules to replace what the pill depleted. It also might not be a bad idea to get your iron levels checked as a lot of us have found out that we're anemic due to the pill.

I promise that you're not crazy and it WILL get better!)

Wow, I am so sorry about what you are going through Dejay! It might not be a bad iea to see a different doctor to get a second opinion too. If you were my patient, there would be a whole list in my differential, and I would want a blood panel STAT! It seems that what you are experiencing could be related to coming off of the BC, but I would want to rule out other potential ailments.)

This may sound a little crazy, but it seems my vaginal discharge has really picked up since I've been of BCP for a couple weeks now. It's not an odd discharge or anything, kind of like the way it was before I started BCP.

I'm wondering if I should take this as a sign my body's returning to normal rather quickly?)

should i be worried if i havent got a period since stopping alesse on sept 11? is it too soon to do a preg test 19 days after sex? (alesse))

i mean clearblue)

dejay78 --

I totally and completely understand what you are going through - I had MANY of the same types of things going on with me that you are also experiencing (not to mention the terrible emotional strain that it put on my husband and other family members). I was in the emergency room three times within a couple of months for racing heart, shortness of breath, and just some really scary things that were happening to my body. The absolute worst part though was the anxiety. You type in a few symptoms on the internet, and come up with a host of monstrous diseases that sound EXACTLY like what you are experiencing. And then the terrible anxiety sets in - and that is the worst feeling in the world!

I can tell you that things do get better. For me it has been really slow. Stopped taking my birth control in February, and nine months later I am not back to normal, but I am getting a little better each month, and best of all learning how to deal with my panic attacks and realize - nothing is going to happen to me - just calm down!

You'll be okay, just be patient and it will come.)

dejay78 -

I understand what you are going through, I started getting anxiety on my first pill (yasmin) i got it so bad that i couldnt go outside the front door.
    Everytime someone mentioned - 'Shall we go out' - my heart just started racing and i would think the worst & just start shaking.
    I did go out but i used to feel so sick and nervous.
    I came off that pill 2 years ago and i feel so much better - it just takes time.

I then started another pill which was a big mistake as that made me depressed....ive been off it 2 months & i already feel tons better.)

Dejay78, and everyone else for that matter!
    I just want to throw in my two cents. I know exactly how you feel. My symptoms are a little different, but I've been off the pill for a month and a half, and while some symptoms have gotten better, ohters persist. Like hot flashes and a feeling of hot, itchy, crawly skin, which I think is due to yeast overgrowth.
    Anyway, I have been going through the same thing. Thinking I'm dying and not able to concentrate and spend quality time with my family. I just got engaged and when my fiance talks about our wedding and future, I want to cry. I don't know when I'll return to normal, but I hope it's soon. Stop researching the internet for diseases! There is a term for that: cyberchondriac, I'm sure I'm one of them!)

Hi girls, all i can say is thank god for this thread! I still feel really bad after coming off the pill just over 2 months ago. My main problems are with my stomach. I's sooo bloated, i look about 6 months pregnant! (i know i'm not). I have a constant pain low down on the left side of my abdomen and am getting ibs symptoms too (cramping and flatulance). My symptoms tend to lessen when i get my period but still seem to return after. I was hoping that i would start to feel a bit more like my old self by now but i'm still feeling so lousy. Has anyone else had similar symptoms as me?)

Dejay78, I'm with Chloe1 on this one I suggest multivitamins and I find the wellwoman with the evening primrose oil is good too. I got in such a bad state with my blood pressure that i got pulled off Yaz and put on something worse which finally convinced me to give it all up!! Coming off them is not much fun with spots and hair loss but I would say it is totally worth it for your sanity, I feel like I have got my life back, you will too just hang on in there!! I find my yoga class really helps calm me down and feel a bit more together too! Good luck! Xx)

15. Raunchy-Row

Hello Everyone again,
    Thanks so much for all your post. It's comforting to know other people are out there and we kind of have this site to comfort each other. Athina, that is funny I really am a cyberchondriac. It's so frustrating. I have totally convinced myself I am dying of a brain tumor or some type of neurological disorder. I just wish the anxiety would go away. It's killing my family. I start looking at pictures when we were happy, now I am afraid I will not get to see my children grow up. I hate the nightitme. I start panicking when it comes. I am afraid of going to sleep because I know thats when the body jerks start and rapid breathing. I never had this until I switched my pills. It's the weirdest thing the rapid breathing starts as soon as I hit the pillow and then the jerks start. The insomnia is making the anxiety worse. My doctor just gave me Ambien, she thinks the jerks are from the anxiety and whole hormone screw up. Did anyone ever take this drug? I am nervous to take it but I really need the sleep. I don't understand why these jerks happen all through the night and never during the day. I just have the anxiety all day and crying spells. God I wish this pill would get out of my system. TJW-- I had those symptoms with my ovarian cyst. I felt really bloated and pain down on my left ovary. YOu should ask your doctor to do a pelvic ultrasound. It was like IBS symptoms. Very bad cramping and constipation. Also my doctor recommended a pill called Buspar. Has anyone heard of this? It's suppose to be for anxiety but something you take everyday and not addicting like Xanax. Just wondering. I am taking little step in going on pills, especially after what happend now from b/c pills.)

dejay.. I know exactly how you feel.I came off the pill in July of this year and thought i was going crazy.Thought I was having a heart attack,with chest pains and heart palpitations.Even ended up in the er room x2.I had so many side effects of stopping the pill, nausea, mood swings, depression, you name I went through it. The worst though was the anxiety attacks, (which I never had until i stopped the "pill".) I went on the net looking up my symptons, and all i could find that matched was GAD-general anxiety disorder.I told my dr and she put me on Effexor. It's for anxiety and depression. I feel 100% better than before. I'm not one who likes to take pills, but if it works it's better than what i was going through.Hope this helps.)

Hi Fondant,
    How long have you been on the Effexor? Have there been any significant side effects? I was worried about weight gain. I know it sounds stupid. Does it make you sleep well at night? I was just wondering.)

The reason why many people only get symptoms when they come off the drugs is because these prescribed steroid sex hormones are immunosuppressants. They are not the same as the bodily steroid sex hormones which they suppress.

The hormones suppressed by these drugs includes the hormones in the adrenal glands which are effectively the immune system. This means that the body's warning signals, symptoms of the side effects of the drugs can be suppressed whilst the woman is on the drugs but all the problems emerge when the woman comes off these drugs.

One of the known and accepted side effects of these drugs is mood change and depression. Progestins are known and accepted to cause mood change and depression. Estrogens can cause euphoria. These drugs also interfere with adrenaline causing high blood pressure and/or panic attacks.

A lot of women find that taking particularly the vitamin Bs and Omega 3/6s helps them and also addressing any possible yeast overgrowth/fungal problems.)

Hi Dejay78, I think i may have an ovarian cyst and i have been given an appointment for a pelvic ultrasound but believe it or not the waiting list is 20 weeks on the nhs system which we have in the uk, i'm thinking of going private if the symptoms persist. Did your cyst go away on it's own in the end? I so feel for you with the anxiety - i suffer from it too and like you it's worse when you go to bed. My doctor has given me diazepam for the anxiety which i am taking at bedtime at the moment but these are supposedly highly addictive so i'm hoping i won't need them for long. People that haven't had anxiety just don't understand what you are going through. I know it seems immpossible at the moment but you just have to ride it out and i promise you it WILL get better but i'm afraid it takes time. I've just started taking B Complex vitamins and evening primrose oil which are both supposed to help hormonal imbalance. On top of how bad i'm feeling at the moment i've now broken out in loads of spots on my neck! Hang in there girls, i'm just thanking god i've found this forum! x)

Cysts can also be a sign of long term zinc deficiency.)

Thanks for that info flowerpower. Would it be ok to take zinc with the B Complex and evening primrose oil?)

Hey TJW - I take evening primrose and B complex and i feel like they have really worked for me.

I get BAD anxiety aswell, and waking up in the middle of the night is the worst - i just freak out and feel so sick its unreal!)

Hi TJW,
    My cyst actually ruptured. That is what caused this whole nightmare in the first place. I was on Aleese when I got the cyst back in July, then it ruptured in September and then my Dr switched me to Yaz. I had other cysts while being on the pill that just disolved on their own. I only get cysts when I am on the pill. Hopefully I will not get them now that I am off the pill. I been having such terribe tension headaches. The anxiety hurts so bad. I want to get a whole bunch of test done but the anxiety makes me so scared, I chicken out. I keep thinking they are going to find something and tell me I am dying. I feel like my whole holidays are ruined right now. I can't stop worrying. Between the headaches, fatique and body jerking, I am just so done. Sometimes I think rational and I tell myself this is all from the pill and then the next minute my mind is like a tornado out of control devastating my body. Oh how I wish this would pass. I feel so whiny right now sorry!!!)

Dejay78 i know what you mean - i can think rational for about 5 minutes until this weird tingly feeling comes over my body and i just flip out.
    I get like this if i plan going out somewhere, get really excited and when it comes down to it i go mental!)

I am just so happy I have found this website. My husband is always finding my on the computer and he get so angry because he thinks I am looking up another deadly disease which I am most of the times, but at least I found this site. It helps alittle with the anxiety
    Right now on top of everything else, I need to make an important decession in my life. Should I go on antidepressants, which my Dr suggested or wait this out and prolong the quality of life with my family. I am so confused. I never had this problem before.I have been trying the natural stuff but nothing seems to be helping with the anxiety. I even went to a natural vitamin store and got this Anxiety Relief pill. I was really hoping it would work but it did not. The thought of going on it and having to wean myself off of it scares me and also the side effects scare me but I really can't deal with these panic attack and anxiety attacks and crying spells that make me hyperventilate. Right now I am in the worst state of mind in my life and I have to make this difficult decession that is going to effect everyone I love. All because of B/C pills.)

How long have you been off the pill??

I understand what you mean, my doc suggested A/D but i just wont go on them, my best friend is on them & she is terrified to come off them. I just dont want to end up like that.)

I'm the same, i've thought of going on antidepressents too but am a bit scared. But they do help some people, my friend went on them for anxiety and they have helped her so much that now she feels ready to come off them, she's doing it really slowly just cutting a bit off the tablet every day, she's down to a quarter of a tablet now and she's doing really well.
    Dejay78, I know what you mean when you say your husband gets angry when you go on the computer looking up diseases as mines the same, i've become obsessed with looking up symptoms for the abdominal pains, i've convinced myself i have all these terrible illness's too. I felt that as i have been off the pill for over 8 weeks now that i should be feeling better but my doctor said it can take a lot longer for it to get out of your system. I'm just taking each day as it comes and hoping my body and mind start feeling normal again soon.)

me too! i am a total hypochondriac and ive almost convinced myself that im pregnant but i went off the pill on september 11 and havent had a period since, but i have taken tons of pregnancy tests that all show up negative. i took another one today, the last time i had sex was 23 days ago, i'm paranoid that i am testing too soon. i used clear blue. what does everyone think? i wish i would have known going on the pill causes so much stress and anxiety:()

16. Raunchy-Row

Hello everyone,
    Well I actually went to the doctors today because I could not deal with my life. They took blood to check my thyroid and then I am starting a pill called Buspar. It's not an antidepressant it's one step behind it. It's a pill that you take everyday and it treats anxiety. It is not addicting like Xanax. You can stop it whenever you want. I am going to try it for a month and then if that does not work I will try Lexapro. It's suppose to be the best a/d for axiety and low low side effects. It has a 10mg dose. I have several friends that are on this pill and swear it changed their lives. But I want to give the Buspar a try before committing to an a/d that I have to stay on at least 6mths. I pray this will help. I really did not want to go down the medicine route but at this point I am wasting precious time with my children and husband and I am so scared of loosing them or myself. TJW- I know it's hard but I am sure that you don't have something serious. I suffered with such bad stomach pains that I almost past out at times. I thought I had colon cancer, I convined myself I had colon cancer. Just a month ago I had a pelvic and whole abdominal ultrasound done because I truely thought I had colon cancer. I was crying my eyes out in the Doctors office, they had to rush the results because they were afraid I was going to land up in the hospital from the anxiety. of thinking I was going to die. Everything came back fine. My stomach is much better now but I still have so many other issues from the pill. I know it's hard to believe someone, as I have the same exact problem. YOu can tell me until I am blue in the face and I will still think i am dying of something. We need to try to get away from the computer. I have been visiting this website whenever I get that urge to google some disease or symptoms. It does help. BEcause at least here we can see the truth and realize that the pill has these side effects. If you want you can email me if you need to, I am going through the same hell as you. ett-- I think if you were pregnant one of those test would have came out positive. I think the pill just screws up everyones cycle differently. Take me, i have had 3 periods in the last 30 days. It's terribe. I know some people that don't get their periods for six month from going off the pill. It's just our body going into shock. Again easier said then done. I am a total hypochondriac so I would feel the same way as you. Ah ladies, being a woman is so frustrating with all these HORMONES. Well talk to you soon. Please pray this will help, I will keep all of you posted. have a good night I will check in tomorrow.)

Alio6-
    I have been on B/C pills for almost 3 years on Aleese. Then is September switched to YAZ, since I switched to YAZ that when my nightmare started. I have only been off the pill almost a month on Friday. So not very long but too long to deal with all these problems. I guess I still have a long way to go. The Doctor said it could take 3-6 months to feel better. yuck!!)

Well my doc basically said that the pill didnt do this to me or it 'might' have triggered it off.
    Which i dont understand since i was fine before the pill.

Does anyone ever feel sick before they go out? its like nerves but 10 times worse?

Sometimes i think i need therapy as it gets that bad!)

Hi dejay78, thanks so much for trying to give me reassurance - like you did, i have also convinced myself i have colon cancer and am really making myself ill with the anxiety, i have diarrhea every day(sorry to be so graphic!) but i think thats just probably my nerves. Are you from the u.k? Because being on the nhs system i have to wait at least 15 weeks before i can have an ultrasound, but my husband has said he's willing to pay for me to have it done privately but i'm in two minds because although i would like to be reassured that everythings fine, i'm scared that they will find something wrong - i'm such a baby! I'm so glad you went to the doctors, i know how hard it muct have been for you because like you every time i go in there i break down in tears too! Don't stress too much about having to go on medication to help your anxiety because i am having to take tranqilisers at the moment to help me sleep, it's just helping us to get over this horrible time. When our bodie's finally readjust to coming off these horrible hormones we won't need them. I might ask my dr about Buspar. ett - i agree with dejay78 that if you was pregnant it would have shown up positive by now, the clearblue tests are very sensitive. I never thought i'd say this but i wish i was a man, as they don't get any of this!!!)

Hi TJW,

zinc with vitamin Bs and primrose oil is fine, tho I personally would take a vitamin B complex or vitamin B stress complex, a separate zinc, a separate magnesium and a capsule mix of at least Omega 3s/6s (or Omega 3,6,9 which may be the more commonly available capsule). But it's whatever you feel helps you. Just be aware that a multinutrient may not be enough which is why I talk about the separate tabs and capsules. The recommended daily allowance RDAs are the minimum required for health and some people find a multinutrient and a separate vitamin B complex, zinc, magnesium etc works for them. But it's very individual and you can experiment with these basic nutrients within reason (obviously don't swallow a whole bottle of tabs - one tab of each on top of a multinutrient is fine). The nice thing is these aren't powerful, immunosuppressant steroids which act as blunt instruments. These are nutrients which nourish the body and have to percolate through the whole body so the processes of the body can right themselves. So it's altogether a different, more subtle and nourishing process.

Regarding the IBS type symptoms. It's very common. The Pill, jab, implant etc - these are all immunosuppressant because progestins suppress the immune system. This means that yeast/fungus can overrun which can cause bowel problems. A lot of women find that probiotics are useful - not the chill cabinet type which contain sugar or sweetener but capsules or powder form found at health food shops. These are very good for the digestion and gut.

Also be aware that a lot of women and girls develop allergies whilst on the Pill etc. Because the Pill is immunsuppressant a lot of the problems emerge when the woman comes off, the immune system is no longer suppressed and the warning signals of underlyying problems which have been suppressed also come out. So an allergen may be contributing to the bowel problems.

These can be "hidden allergens" - that's to say the reaction comes a couple of hours after having eaten the culprit food or drink. The most common allergens are: yeast, egg, corn, dairy products, grain (includng wheat),citrus fruits, chocolate, tea, coffee and fish. So you may want to see whether your problem may be associated with a certain food or drink.

All prescribed steroid sex hormones in the Pill etc also can interfere with mood and cause depression. This is known and accepted. Progestins interfere with the Monoamine Oxidase (MAO) pathways and cause mood changes and depression. Estrogens can cause euphoria. These drugs can also interfere with adrenaline causing high blood pressure and panic attacks. Again nutrients can really help and allergy may also play a part, being an extra strain on the body. Obviously if you have the runs as well, you're not going to feel on top of the world. I'm explaining all this because I think you have to understand the physical stress on your body to understand your mental state and it may be wrong to categorize it therefore as "depression", as if it were a stand alone condition when it can be associated with the drugs and side effects. Nutrients may be effective straightaway but it may also need patience for them to build up over time and for the body to readjust. Some of the effects are quite subtle although beneficial.)

Hi everyone, I guess if we are here it means there is still somethig wrong, right? I hope that as some of you guys get better, you'll let the rest of us know because we need to have some hope that we'll get better too.

TJW, I started having a dull, pain in the lower left abdominal area, at the end of August! It would go away (sometimes) during my period but return again and I would have it all month. I'm knocking on wood, but I think it's better.

The thing is that after I quit the pill, I had other symptoms that made me wish I had just the dull pain again. I started getting hot flashes and feeling hot in different parts of my body, like my shoulders, back stomach and legs. I also had terrible IBS. Diarrhea followed by constipation in a horrible cycle! I also had a burning feeling on my stomach after eating that only bothered me in the middle of the day. I always felt fine in the mornig and at night.

Then I got a very light period. Then, I started getting pain in my knees and shoulders and ribs. When I pressed on them, they hurt, but not in any way I had felt before. I noticed that certain things I ate made this worse. Anyway, I feel better today and hope I'm finally on the mend. ANyone else experience similar simptoms?)

TJW-- I am not from the U.K. but I had to wait a month to get mine and it drove me crazy. If you guys can afford it, maybe its a good idea to get it done. It will at least ease your mind about the colon cancer. Sometimes it can be fluid in your pelvic area too. I had that from the cyst that ruptured. I was in so much pain with the cyst and fluid. It messed up my whole system.
    Last night I had a terribe night could not get to sleep. Do the tranquilizers help you sleep? What kind are they? What happends if you don't take them? Does your body just feel so tensed up? My muscle actually start to jerk and that scares me so much that I can't sleep. Then I start having these breathing attacks. Like I have to take extra breaths, I guess its like a panic attack. The Buspar takes 2 weeks to fully work, kind of like antidepressant. Today I could feel the anxiety kicking in strong, I guess it's related to the loss of sleep too.)

Firstly flowerpower thank you so much for your advice. I,ve bought some zinc today, i also already take acidophilus which i was recommended by a nurse friend because i got recurrent urine infections and it has definately helped with them but it doesn't seem to be helping my stomach at present. What you said about the pill can bring on IBS really makes sense and has stopped me feeling quite so anxious - keep up the good advice, you have helped so many women on this forum including me!

Athina, i haven't had any other pains apart from my stomach but if you read what flowerpower has written above, it sounds like your symptoms could also be withdrawal effects from coming off the pill - it really makes sense what she's written and has made me understand more what is going on in my body at the moment. Glad you are feeling a bit better today

Dejay78, I'm so sorry you had such a bad night - the nights are the worst as you feel so alone. The tranquiliser my dr has given me is diazepam but she has only given me 10 as they can become addictive. They do help to ease the anxiety symptoms, i don't take them every night, i just take them if i've had a bad day. It sounds as though your anxiety is at it's peak so maybe you could ask your doctor for a short course just to help you sleep. I had terrible anxiety like your's about 6 years ago after losing a baby and the sleep deprivation is the worst. I also get very tensed up especially around my shoulders and neck. - i so feel for you as it was the worst time of my life - even worse than i feel now - which is pretty bad! I felt like i was going mad and that my son would be taken from me and my husband would leave me, but i promise you that over time you will start to feel better. Anxiety is a HORRIBLE illness but you will overcome this, it just takes time. I also saw a counsellor for about 3 months which also helped (sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger than to your family about your feelings).

Hang on in there girls, the B/C pill has affected us all in different ways but with each other's support i know we'll get through this horrible time. x)

17. Raunchy-Row

I was just wondering. Do you guys think that the body jerking at night is more from the severe anxiety or from the body being use to the hormones that are not there anymore? Every Dr. I go to keeps saying its the anxiety. I just don't see how anxiety can do that. I don't know, sorry this is just really bothering me. I keep looking up information on it and there really is not much. It's not like RLS, it's more of a full body jerk, neck and back. I just wish it would stop I really need sleep. I now have anxiety about falling asleep because I am afraid of the jerks. This is going to be a long 2 wks. I also have fear that what happends if these pills don't help and i still have the jerking at night. I can't live with that.)

No, I've had that as well. Sort of involuntary. Especially when you're half asleep or half awake, depending on how you look at things. I think once you get the nutrient levels up, it's less likely to happen. It must be a muscle spasm, and it happens especially when one is tired and ready to fall straight asleep. It may also be to do with the dilation and contraction of the blood vessels which can be very badly affected by prescribed steroid sex hormones. This can also go with the occasional involuntary shiver either up the body or even just in the scalp area. In fact, the more I think about this and write about it, the more I'm inclined to think it is a kind of vascular overreactivity as well. This can cause headaches/migraines and hot and cold flushes but it makes sense to me as well that it can cause jerks and shivers as well. I think it's important to drink enough water during the day and also have some water by your bedside. You may also want to consider whether allergies can play a part. The most common after coming off the Pill are yeast, corn, eggs, dairy products, grain (including wheat), chocolate, tea, coffee, citrus fruits and fish. The reactions can happen a couple of hours after eating or drinking, so maybe you can pinpoint some problem food or drink. Precribed steroid sex hormones can "switch" the immune system, causing allergens and vascular over reactivity. HTH.)

Hello everyone,
    Well I am still not doing to well. I tried the Buspar and I feel worse. The jerking was even more intense. I am just so tired and out of ideas. The vitamins are not helping me, the meds are not helping so what is next? Flowerpower---its kind of funny I do have pain all in my scalp and headaches. I wish that is what it is. I really think it's a brain tumor now because the meds are not stoping the jerking. The jerking is still always at night when trying to fall asleep. It's like my body literally forgot how to fall asleep. It's like a muscle twitches. I have numbness and tingling in the back of my head too. If i press on one side of my head, the lower left back of the skull, it hurts so bad. I don't know if this is tension or not. I don't know what to think anymore. My husband wants me to go for a cat scan but I am way to afraid, I could not wait for the results, I probably would have a stroke. Today has been 4 wks off the pill and each day I am noticing more symptoms. I have like brain fog, dizziness, nausea, body aches. I just feel like something is in my body slowly killing me. Well just needed to vent. Hope all are doing better.)

Well Dejay I can tell you that I was on Diane 35 for 13 years, and I know when I finally decided to come off the pill I had major jerking after the first two months, I also missed work b/c I felt nauseaus, had the runs, and massive headaches that had me in tears. you might want to try a herb like valarian or melatonin...availble in any health food store..that will help put you in a deeper and restful sleep.)

Hi Dejay and Laneha,

Well, from my own experience and what I know biochemically (from reading around), altho' I know everyone has their own experience, but personally I would keep away from herbs because 1) they can be estrogenic 2) they can have moulds and yeasts on them which can cause a lot of problems still especially if you have yeast overgrowth.

You have to give it sometimes time for the nutrients to percolate in the body. They are not powerful immunosuppressants like prescribed steroids.

They start at the beginning of the processes in the body and have to filter through and the body has to adjust itself. This can be quite subtle and the nutrients have to build up.

It's also very worthwhile looking at the possibility of hidden allergies. Avoiding problem food and drink can make huge amounts of difference. And if you do get rid of the yeast overgrowth (if you have it), it may be that the allergies will disappear.

I think SusanT (or maybe someone else, I can't remember) has written very well in another thread how subtle the changes can be once the nutrients start to build up.

Also remember, for a lot of people a multivitamin/mineral is not enough. Especially with the abnormal extreme deficiencies and imbalances caused by prescribed steroid sex hormones.

The Recommended Daily Allowances (RDAs) are the minimum required for health. Of course one shouldn't go crazy but some find that taking a multinutrient plus a vitamin complex or stress complex (a stress complex is the vitamin Bs plus vitamin C), plus a separate zinc tablet or zinc/copper combination tablet plus a separate magnesium tablet plus a combination tablet of at least the Omega 3s/6s does work while a multinutrient alone doesn't. And drinking plenty of plain water should also help with the vascular over reactivity.

And if a person still finds they have problems they should look to see whether there are particular foods and/or drinks after which they have a reaction, either straightaway or a few hours afterwards.

For example, I keep away from many canned soups because a lot of them have yeast and/or wheat in them. I try to eat as fresh foods as possible.

I am less strict now because I am better but sometimes I will get IBS like symptoms because I have binged on bread which may have so-called "magic yeast" in it - industrially produced bread has a very powerful artificially boosted yeast in it which does cause problems sometimes. So I then stop eating it. Take a probiotic and continue with the nutrients.

Of course, I'm only human and sometimes I eat a food which may affect me badly. But again I can reverse and get myself back on track. It's a question of recognizing when this happens. Otherwise one can start to become psychologically scarred as well and not always do the best for oneself.

There is a certain amount of discipline involved. I have come to the conclusion that if I had not taken prescribed steroid sex hormones, I probably would be able to tolerate a lot more.

But it's a fact of life that I have been prescribed these drugs and I now have certain problems that, if I am not disciplined, can get out of control although they are easily brought under control again.

My body is just not the same as it once was. With some it may be they fully recover. With me, well I am as healthy as I can be at the moment and I can carry on with my life and I'm pretty fit compared with a lot of people. Most people don't notice.

I can see that you do relate to the scalp problems and it's more likely to be the vascular over reactivity than a brain tumour, taking into account previous use of prescribed steroids.

TBH, I don't seek diagnoses now. I see what helps me. I have my fill of being classified and categorised into one medical condition or another and fed drugs which have only made the situation worse.

I do things that make sense to me and if others (including docs) want to discuss other possibilities with, I am willing to listen and see whether it makes sense to me.

But I don't do things which don't make sense to me anymore and which I don't understand and which people can't explain properly and if they appear to want to dominate the body's processes instead of having respect for those processes.

It was hard to reach this point but I'm glad I have and I wouldn't turn back now. But the improvement is not necessarily sudden. Because that's the way the body often works.

Just as deterioration on these drugs often happens over years, I've had to recognize that the recovery is not always going to be that sudden. Although for some, they get a tangible difference straightaway.

It's like going to another country and learning a language living there. You struggle and struggle at first and think you're never going to understand it easily, never mind speak it. Then a couple of months in, suddenly you find yourself understanding something without any struggle. And it's only afterwards you realize what's happened and you've made a breakthrough.

And then you find yourself thinking in the language but again it's often without being conscious that the change is taking place and you're overall more confident and happier speaking and understanding others.

It's only with hindsight that you look back and understand what's happened. So it is with nutrients and addressing yeast overgrowth and allergies. It's an overall feeling of well being which may not always seem to be addressing the problems you can pinpoint, but suddenly you realize one day that overall you are better. Anyway, that's my experience and I think the experience of some others who have tried a nutrient/allergy/yeast overgrowth regime on these boards and elsewhere.

In any case, whether you decide to do this or not, I wish you both all the very best and hope that things do get better. But I hope I've given some kind of explanation why scientifically and medically there are reasons why nutrients and addressing allergy/yeast overgrowth can make a difference.)

18. Raunchy-Row

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had had any different PMS symptoms since coming off the pill? My sypmtoms on the pill were moderate depression, irritability and cramps. Seems normal right? Now, I have no cramps, at least not during my period (but I do have ovoluation pains mid-cycle)I also get weird hot flashes before my period and after ,and they take a long time to wear off. Also my period was way lighter.Granted I've only had one period since quitting the pill but I"m due to have my next one in a week. So I was just wondering if anyone's pms and period symptoms also changed since quitting. Hope you guys all get better soon!)

I'm on Day 32 of my cycle since my withdrawal period and still no period yet. I know it may take a while, but I'm afraid it will come now when my BF is back in town.)

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the board and am SO thankful to have found it!
    I finally, after 15 years (I'm 29), have decided to stop taking birth control (I was on Triphasil and the like). I too, intially started BCP to regulate my period.
    I've only been off the pill for one day, and after reading this thread am now a bit nervous! But, I'd rather go into this with the knowledge and experiences you have all shared. I knew that after such a long time dependent on a drug that there would be consequences/side effects once off it.
    Glad to know you're all here and that I can come and seek your help!
    Does anyone know of a natural/herbal way of regulating a peroiod? Before BCP, I used to only get my period once a year! If that happens again, I hope it's around a vaction because I may be bed-ridden! *lol*
    Thanks
    BD)

Hello! This is my first time adding a post, but I think it's important to share my story.

During the past few months I have read others' posts and have been able to find comfort by relating to others and realizing I'm not alone in this.

I have been on/off birth control since I was 16 (I am now 22). Initially I was perscribed the birth control pill because I hadn't received a "normal" period. I was always spotting, but I was never regular. At that time, my doctor gave me mircette and told me the bc would help regulate my periods and after taking it for a few months my period should be normal. While on mircette, my periods were EXTREMELY heaving and I experienced horrible cramps. After a while enough was enough and I stopped the medicine.

Unfortunately, my period was never normal after stopping the oral contraceptive, so I was required to continue birth control pills even into college, where I was a college athlete. The doctors scared me into taking bc pills and said I wasn't getting my period because of all the exercising I did with my team. However, I started getting severe mood swings while I was on the pill. The difference in my mood while off the pill was significantly better...but either I would have a strange period or wouldn't have one at all for months. I continued this cycle for four years in college and thought I was going crazy sometimes. I worried if I was depressed, I wondered what was wrong with me. I threw fits, acted childish, but just couldn't help myself. I knew this behavior wasn't me.

I kept telling my OBGYN about these problems and she switched me from bc pill to bc pill over and over again. Finally she put me back on Kariva (the generic of Mircette) and my emotions went wild. She encouraged me to take the Kariva for at least 4 cycles, but I couldn't stand it. I was even hospitalized once for an anxiety attack. While sitting in my room watching TV my heart would race and I would suddenly get nervous....then moments later I would be crying about something stupid!

I had enough. After 8 months on Kariva I secretly stopped taking it to see if maybe my period would finally be normal. By now it was January, and my emotions were soooooo much better almost immediately!!! I finally felt normal again!!! However, my skin started getting REALLY bad in the next weeks after stopping the pill. Soon I began to notice my hair falling out as well. I told my friends, but they all said hair loss is normal. I tried to convince myself of this, but by the time summer came it was something I could not deny. My hair was coming out in clumps each time I went in the shower, and my face resembled a basketball. No matter what cream the dermatologist gave me, the acne never subsided. My periods were practically absent, and I had continuous spotting for three weeks in the month of June. I needed to see a doctor.

It was not until October that I finally received some answers. After being sent to my family dr., to my obgyn, to my dermatologist, back to my family dr., and then to an endocrinologist....the endocrinologist finally said something with relevance. That I am quite possibly suffering from PCOS.

I have been taking spironolactone for 6 weeks now, and I have been back on bc for 5 cycles now. I am currently taking the NUVARING and it has been amazing for my emotions. I am finally myself again and don't feel like someone/something else has control over me! NUVARING is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. My hair is still falling out (almost for 10-11 months now) and I am anxiously waiting for the day it stops. If anyone has any suggestions for this please please let me know!)

Did anyone experience a decrease in heart burn (gastric reflux)when going off BC? I don't know if it is related to hormones or not, but thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this. I hope it goes away. I feel like I am getting it way more often than I used to. Yesterday at work I went to the medicine cabinet twice for antacids. Usually it only affects me when I am laying down at night.)

Srgal,
    I don't usually suffer from heartburn, but since going off BC, I've experienced a few mild episodes of it.)

19. Raunchy-Row

Hello again everyone!
    Sorry to hear about what you've gone through blueeyes! I'm glad things are better and I hope your hair loss subsides VERY soon! Srgal, I'll let you know if I notice a difference in heart burn as time goes on.

I have only been off BCP for three days now (I counted wrong in my previous post) and I've already noticed a few ìside effects.î It amazes me that I already am feeling things, but I am. I have cramps (especially in the morning) and occasional nausea. So far, nothing else. I went off BCP for three months (years ago) and experienced severe acne (for me anyways). I'm not looking forward to that again, but it's something I'll have to deal with. I'll put up with all the side effects because it's time I kick the BCP!

On another note, if any of you are still taking Diane 35 as BCP, get off it quick! I'm not sure it's even still being produced, at least not under the Diane name. I used Diane for a few months (back in 2003-04 I think) because I had a little bit of acne. It was NOT a severe case, but my doctor prescribed it to me anyways. The acne did go away on Diane, but it was replaced with white bumps. I was still on Diane when I caught the last 20 minutes of a newscast on the drug on CBC over here in Canada.

I was shocked and upset to learn that a woman had died from taking Diane (it recently has come out that over five Canadian women have died on Diane)! I'm not a scientist, so I cannot claim that Diane was the direct and only cause of these deaths, but it's too severe to ignore the link! I for one would not take the chance.

Also women were experiencing other awful side effects on Diane such as blood clots! I then reflected on what was happening to me since I had been on Diane: I bruised very easily everywhere on my body and I was experiencing sever charlie horses (leg cramps) regularly. I determined there must be a link as I wasn't experiencing the above before Diane. I immediately got off the drug and my easy bruising and charlie horses stopped thereafter.

I just wanted to share that, and a couple of articles on Diane, just in case it still is out there:

<a href="http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/diane/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/diane/index.html</a>

<a href="http://www.cbc.ca/disclosure/archives/030114_diane/diane35.html" target="_blank">http://www.cbc.ca/disclosure/archives/030114_diane/diane35.html</a>

It's may be being prescribed under another name, so be weary!

On a side note, what is with the names of new birth controls? All women's names, a weird marketing attempt. And what is with the advertising? Women having fun, hanging out with friends, in the photo booth, partyingÖfor birth control? Something is wrong hereÖ

Later
    BD)

Diane-35 versus Alesse

Deaths: 5 1
    Blood Clots: 35 7

Note: There are almost four times as many prescriptions for Alesse than Diane-35.

Scary!!!!!)

The problems with ALL prescribed steroid sex hormones including the Pill, HRT, jab, implant, patch, hormonal IUD and ring are not "small". Blood clots and other clotting problems such as "sticky blood" or antiphospholipid syndrome are a major side effect of all these drugs. And of course there are the other possible side effects such as breast cancer, autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Raynaud's (and antiphospholipid) and thyroid disorders, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, difficulty conceiving and much else.

So while accepting that this drug has caused problems, I would be very dubious about evidence that singles it out as a drug worse than other steroid sex hormones. All these drugs have major side effects and have led to deaths and one is not worse than another. They are all equally bad because that is the nature of long term steroid use. And in my experience many side effects and even deaths are not always correctly attributed as being caused by these drugs especially with the liability issues of medical practitioners.

This is not to lessen the severity of what this particular drug has done. But it is no more dangerous than other prescribed steroid sex hormones and, in a very competitive drugs marketplace, singling out one brand name may lead to false confidence in other prescribed steroid sex hormones under other brands which are no less dangerous.

<a href="http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=70" target="_blank">http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=70</a>

<a href="http://www.ecomed.org.uk/meet_winter2006.php" target="_blank">http://www.ecomed.org.uk/meet_winter2006.php</a>)

Well put FlowerPower! And, I agree absolutely!

I would never again go on ANY BCP. I only wish I had done this sooner (15 years on BCP).

Thanks
    BD)

Hey girls,
    I just had a question. I have seen that some of you have experienced hot flashes. I think I have. I'm only 25 so this is the first time I'm experiencing anything similar. Anyway can you guys describe the hot flashes. I don't really know if that's what I'm having.)

Have a look at this posting and see whether it helps explain things. If you're having hot flushing symptoms consistently, then yes, they probably are hot flashes. I should say, while it is possible that prescribed steroid sex hormones push a woman towards a premature menopause, many women do recover after coming off these drugs and it's not a given that it is menopausal, although left long term it may become so. These drugs can cause vascular over reactivity in women not otherwise predisposed but that does not mean that the woman cannot recover.

<a href="http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/7/2579.html#000003" target="_blank">http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/7/2579.html#000003</a>)

20. Raunchy-Row

Please help!!

I'm at my witts end, I came off the cilest pill in may,had my withdraw bleed as normal.This is the frustrating bit.I have had a few periods and I mean a few!!! I have read the site and found i'm not the only one.

Someone recommend agnus catcus I started that on the friday 22nd sept and by the monday 25th september I had 1st period since july. You don't realise how glad I was to see it arrive.
    I am still on the Agnus Catcus but it is 68days since that period. Can anyone please suggest anything else!

I got married august 2005 and we decided to try for a family in may- I really did'nt think I would have such irregular periods.

Any help would be much appriecated....

Mel x x)

I find my PMS better, my skin and hair nicer, and my periods quite regular since adding three things to my post-pill experience:

- acupuncture
    - a good vitamin regime (I like to call it the Grant/FlowerPower combo... have a look at almost any of her posts for specifics)
    - time/patience

It's hard to say which of these three has brought me to the happy post-pill place I am. Soon it will be one year! The scientist in me puts a lot of faith in rebuilding the nutrient deficiencies that the pill is proven to cause. The skeptic in me can't deny that my cramps only stopped after adding acupuncture, and I know other women who swear by it for help with infertility. And a little patience (ok, a LOT) gives the body time it needs to sort itself out. So, I think they all have merit.)

I've been reading these post since I stopped taking Yasmin 6 weeks ago. I've been experiencing many of the symptoms others have mentioned (i.e. hair loss, returning acne, mood swings, varying degrees of depression and fatigue). I took a multivitamin for a year before I went off Yasmin, and starting adding a B-complex to ease the transition off Yasmin. When I spoke with my GP about taking a multi and b-complex, and how it didn't seem to be helping, she said that I should try switching to a powered multi-vitamin formula because the pills don't always break down properly in your stomach. She said there have been various studies done where people who take vitamin pills w/meal will still defecate part of the pill. Basically, our bodies were not designed to break down large pills quickly enough to get the full benefit from them. Anyway, I purchased a powered multi-vitamin product (basically the same ratio of vitamins except in powdered form) and have been taking it for the past few weeks. I've been noticing difference in energy level, hair loss has been slowing down, and the acne that came back post-Yasmin fades much more quickly. My Yasmin-related IBS-like symptoms have also mostly faded with the powdered vitamins. In the past, whenever I would get a pimple (even when I was a teenager before I started birth-control), it would take a minimum of 3 weeks for the bump to fade entirely. Now, it's about 10 days. Of course, this might just be due to the fact that my body is getting closer to "normal" the longer it's been off Yasmin, but I thought I would share this with everyone anyway. The only downside to the powdered vitamins is that they are more expensive than the pills, and the taste is not great. (Imagine what it's like to chew a multi-vitamin before you swallow it). Different brands have tried to compensate for this and mixing the powder into a juice does help, but still, it's not as easy as swalling a few pills. As for the cost, the powdered form is more, but if you're only digesting 1/2 of your multi-vitamin to being with, then the price is much more comparable.)

Hi, I am amazed that there can be so many negative effects from stopping the pill. I am 21 and have been taking minovral since I was 15. It was such a normal thing for me to take that little pill eveyday that I never gave it much thought.

I stopped taking it because I was too busy to get to the doctor and refill my prescription and I thought it might not be the worst thing to go off it since I'm not sleeping with anyone right now. I didn't even think to associate my extreme depression lately with stopping the pill because I'm at the end of my term in school and extremely stressed from that.

I'm kicking myself now for adding to it by making myself hormonally imbalanced! I haven't had the time to read through every post but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this:
    I have to pee all the time! I dont think it's a UTI because it's not painful and I don't notice it as much during the day. But at night I can't sleep because I feel this need to pee, even when I've just gone. It's driving me crazy and it's so frustrating.

I went off the pill about 3 weeks ago and this started last week. Could the decrease in estrogen cause this? It's weird because it doesn't hurt but it's torture.)

Hi apple margarita;

Yes, the peeing can be a side effect of going off the pill. During pregnancy a woman retains a lot of fluids to support the baby. Since your body thought you were pregnant but aren't anymore it is getting rid of the excess water (and other BCP chemicals). After I gave birth to my kids, I noticed too that I had to hit the bathroom a lot.

As FLOWERPOWER will tell you so eloquently, make sure you take a good multivitamin, omega 3-6-9 oils, zink and copper so your body can start to rebound from the BCPs or evil little pills as I call them.

And lastly, a plug for my favorite book - Toni Weschler's "Taking Charge of your Fertility". It has a lot of excellent information about your natural menstrual cycle and tips for how to avoid pregnancy without using BCP's. The method has worked for me and my husband for a year now and I love not having to take BCPs anymore. It has been a year and 14 days now since I took the last pill and I had the worst withdrawal symptoms.

Good luck with exams and lifting of your depression...)

Hi Netemedtotrolde,

I am 3 month's of the pill and if you have read any of my previous post's you will see that i have had quite bad withdrawel symptoms, mainly with my stomach (low down abdo pain, bloating, ibs symptoms). The reason i am writing to you is that i've noticed from a few of your post's that you have had similar symptoms. I'm not getting quite so worked up about the abdo pain now as mine leaves me when i get my period and comes back about a week after finishing so i know it's hormonal but what i'm really still freaked out about is that my bowels are still all over the place - i have diarrhea most day's and now i think i have developed pile's too (sorry to be so graphic!) as i am so uncomfortable down there. Did you have symptoms like these? i also have a horrible feeling of pressure down below. I really hope these are just still withdrawal symptoms and that they are not something more serious. I 've been to the dr's 3 times since coming off the pill with my stomach problems and am probably going to have to go back again as i'm so worried. I know that my anxiety is making my symptoms worse - the more anxious i get, the worse my symptoms get...it's a vicious circle! )

Hi LambYoung, and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear about all your trouble! Problems with panic and anxiety appear to be fairly common coming off the pill, but sounds like you got more than the usual share.

There are suggestions around the board for helping your body regain hormonal balance. One rather extreme option that I usually don't suggest until other things (including a little time) have failed is Acupuncture! Sounds a little crazy, maybe, but success stories around here are numerous. I highly recommend looking into it. Other ideas are Vitex (herbal supplement) and some vitamins that the pill tends to deplete - zinc, B-complex (esp B6), etc. Also, Omega fish oil is really helpful for mental health.

Look at any post by moderator D4A - she is really knowledgeable, and her signature line includes a myspace link regarding the pill and emotional problems.)

It is very normal to have bleeding when you stop the pill, no matter when you stop it, and even if you just had a "pill period"... The period you have on the pill isn't a real period, it is only caused by the "withdrawal" week when you are taking the placebo pills. So, when you stopped the pills in the middle of the pack, you caused another withdrawal bleed. It is inconvenient, and may mean your body needs more time to readjust to normal... but readjusting post-pill doesn't always go perfectly anyway. Your doctor will probably confirm all this for you. But don't worry that there is a problem. Just hang in there and give your body some time (could easily be several months) to get fully back to normal.)

hi thank you so much for answering it has really been bothering me but theres one more thing...i dont know if anybody knows the answer to this question...but can i still try to and maybe even get pregnant even while my body is trying to go back to normal from being off the pill? and will it effect the baby i was told no but i want other opinions)

I'm new here but have found it fascinating to read the posts. I am 29 and never took the pill until about 2 1/2 years ago. My doctor recommended Yasmin for me after I had tried a few others and had funny side effects ( aching legs etc). When I first started Yasmi I found I lost alot of weight and felt sick ( all the side effects I had when I was pregnant with my daughter- now nearly 3). I have made sure that I have " had a break" from Yasmin from time to time ( just taking myself off it for a month each time) and every time I had the withdrawal bleed and then got my period again 28 days later like clock work ( so thus went back on it).
    My partner and I have been doing a bit of research into the pill and its effects and so I decided to go off it for good. I finished on the 21st of August when I began my normal monthly " sugar pills". So far I have had the withdrawal bleed ( about three days after my "pill period" and a little bloating and wind but that is it. No effects so far on my skin or hair and my mood has even lifted a little. I found that I was very emotional on Yasmin and would often cry and become insecure and worry but even that seems to have subsided. Maybe it is too early to tell and these effects might come out a bit later but I am feeling pretty positive. Maybe also I am the opposite as I have read that people get " under the skin" pimples when they stop Yasmin but I acually got them from Yasmin so who knows.
    I wanted to post this as I do take some different vitamins which I think may be masking or diminishing any effects that stopping Yasmin has had on me. I take fish oil daily ( big tablets and hard to swallow but worth it) and a multivitamin but I think the thing that helps ( and helped me with PMS tremendously before I started BC) is Evening Primrose Tablets.I even cut one open and rub it into the skin on my face when a breakout starts and it clears it up no probs. Maybe if they helped so much with PMS before i started BC they are possible helping me with the hormonal changes that your body goes through when trying to get back into your own natural hormonal cycle. Who knows, but was just interested in if anyone else uses this? Might be worth a try. Lots of water too helps get rid of the bloating.
    I am not due for my regular period yet ( assuming it comes in my normal 28 day cycle) but we'll see. Hang in there everyone, try not to stress too much as this will place that extra strain on your body and mind.)

Hi
    You can try straight away after you stop the pill. In fact many people and doctors now believe that the first two weeks after you stop the pill you are VERY fertile.
    The only reason people recomend that you dont is because it can be hard to pin point dates but a scan can confirm how far along you are.)