The Effects of Stopping Birth Control (part 5!!!)

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Raunchy-Row, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Many, many of our users have experienced long, difficult recoveries from their hormonal birth control use and have posted their extensive experiences over the years. The original thread became very long, was lost and reposted, and then locked. The second thread quickly made it over 1000 posts and the 3rd to almost 800 but the 4th beat them all with over 1100 posts in just a few months. These resources can be found in the Archives. This thread is for women who would like to continue to discuss the effects of discontinuing birth control (hormonal contraception) and support one another through what can be a frustrating time!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

2. Raunchy-Row

Wow ladies, burning up this thread! I'll leave the old one for a few days until everyone's found their spots again [​IMG]
    Row

3. SLynn17

SLynn17 Member

Thanks Raunchy-Row! And Congrats on your pregnancy!! Hello ladies!
    Thank you for the article link PinkLeopard!

4. PinkLeopard

PinkLeopard New Member

Awww congrats Raunchy-Row! You're an inspiration...you have been where we all are and look at you now! SO inspiring [​IMG]

5. IBelieveInUs

IBelieveInUs Active Member

CONGRATS RAUNCHY-ROW! What wonderful news [​IMG] Yay!

Ladies, I'm wondering if I have a sensitivity to dairy like some of you have mentioned in the past. I've never made the connection before because I love my dairy and I eat a lot of it. But I had lots of it this weekend and then I had pizza just now for lunch and I feel crappy all of a sudden. Anxious, headache, ROCD thoughts. Still bearable and not as severe but definitely the strongest they've been in the last 3 weeks. And I have a headache/pressure in my head too. I took a calming pill that my ND has given me like I do every day after lunch and I feel a little better. But it got me thinking about the possible dairy connection.

Sierra: I'm glad you're getting your hormones tested! Especially with your ridiculously long cycle. Your body must be so confused right now! Hang in there [​IMG]

6. PinkLeopard

PinkLeopard New Member

IBelieveInUs: You may have a dairy sensitivity. You might want to mention it to your ND when you go! I am sorry that you're feeling bad again, but it's good that it's still not as bad as before! That is definitely an improvement....I really think there's something to this 8 month set back...Sierra and I are both in month 8 right now and it looks like we're experiencing it, although I think she is feeling a little bit better.

7. Raunchy-Row

Coming up on my 8 year anniversary here! Can't believe it [​IMG] And thanks guys! I'm pretty excited, it's still really early but I have a good feeling about it all.

8. IBelieveInUs

Thanks, Pink Leopard. I just feel really out if it since lunch. Loopy with a weird headache. And that's causing health anxiety panic attacks because I hate feeling out of it. It makes me feel out of control and control is what I need to curb my anxiety. Hope whatever it is passes soon. It just came over me so suddenly and I hate it [​IMG]

9. Kim1971

Kim1971 Member

Congratulations on the baby Raunchy-Row; children are life changing and a blessing! Those years are behind me; my advice to you is to enjoy every minute of it because it goes by so fast! My son will be 12 at the end of this month, and he is taller than I am and seems to know EVERYTHING!!!

I am beginning my 3rd month post HBCP, and the last few weeks have been decent but not "normal". I don't know if I am just slowly getting better or if the supplements I am taking are helping that much. I should be ending my cycle soon, and that is when I flip out emotionally. I have had some minor anxiety today, and I think I am making it worse because I know when my horrible days were the past few months, and I am getting close to that timeframe this month.

Sierra: I saw that one of your symptoms that you list is vision problems. Can please give me an idea of what you have experienced? It seems that my vision is not as crisp/clear as it was prior to HBCP, and I am now very sensitive to light. The florescent lights in my office drive me crazy; I have started turning them off and just rely on the light from closed blinds for now.

There are some days that I am so tempted to just get back on the pill to deal with all of this; this was my third time on the pill. I took it from around ages 22-28, then from 30-36, and then for just 2 1/2 months starting this past November. I never had any problems with stopping the pill before, but I don't think I ever reacted to the pill like I did this last time either. I have an acupuncture appt on 3.15; she started out as a registered nurse and then changed to acupuncture and chinese medicine so it should be interesting...

I am currently taking Menoquil and GABA Plus, along with an Alive vitamin and Krill oil.

Thanks for the posts; I read them everyday and they do help!

10. SLynn17

SLynn17 Member

IBelieveInUs: Sorry that's happening! It's definitely possible that you have a dairy sensitivity... it's sooo hard to give it up though! I've read a lot about how the pill screws up digestion, but I don't think it's permanent. I think it's mostly about how your body isn't absorbing the nutrients we feed it as well because of the pill, so that's why it gets a sensitivity to certain things because it doesn't have the available nutrients to digest it correctly. Mine has definitely gotten better since I quit. I hardly get physical problems anymore, but the anxiety ones are difficult to measure. It could make it worse, and it could not. I have no idea =/

I am definitely feeling better, thank god! I needed a little break. I was thinking on the way to work this morning how I missed feeling like this. I forgot what it was like to just be content with a silent brain! It was nice. I started to get a little loopy just a couple minutes ago because I am working on something at work that I just cannot figure out and it's making me question myself. None of it is making any sense whatsoever, and usually I can figure stuff like this out with a little intense focus, but I literally cannot figure this problem out. I think I'm going to take a break from it and come back and hopefully it will come to me, but for some reason it's just making me uncomfortable that I can't figure out why something isn't working. Ugh!
    Doxielover likes this.

11. Smfb1363

Smfb1363 Member

Wow we are in part 5 now!!! This is insane!! So did raunchy row go through the same as us??

SIERRA: I don't think it's the Xanax but could be. I had the nervous stomach last month too but not as intense as this time around. Every time I took my Xanax last month it would relieve the symptoms and it worked for me today. I think it's my anxiety and all the supplements I'm taking. I think my body is getting use to the vitamins and detoxing from the pill.

12. PinkLeopard

PinkLeopard New Member

Smfb: The stomach pain is probably from the DIM...sorry I don't know why I didn't tell you that before. I had it too...it gives you intense cramping, sometimes gas like pains all over your stomach and you feel bloated. The DIM is made from the protein that is found in cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower so it's bound to give you those pains...also it's detoxing your body so you may feel uncomfortable for a little while.

13. SLynn17

SLynn17 Member

I watched documentary yesterday about our food in this country and it was really interesting. It's called "Hungry for Change" - anyway, they said that chia seeds and aloe vera gel are supposed to really help detoxify you because the toxins are attracted to the gelatinous texture (chia seeds get gelatinous when mixed with water) and allow your body to get rid of them easier. I've been adding chia seeds to my fruit/veggie shakes so hopefully it helps!

14. tj1019

tj1019 New Member

Wow-part 5! Crazy! So I almost feel as though my anxiety has been non existent for the last few weeks, however, my blood pressure is all of the sudden very high for me and I also feel somewhat short of breathe. New symptoms I've never dealt with before. I know both can be a symptom of anxiety, but it's totally new to me. I also feel like my hands kind if swell. Weird. Anyone have this? It's like I get rid of one symptom, only to develop a new one. Good times.

15. Raunchy-Row

I sure did [​IMG] I joined this site because of the information from other women about hormonal pills and anxiety/depression. In 2005 there was almost no information published about any possibility of a connection and there was a fair-sized group of us who were going through exactly what you ladies are, and being told how nuts we were by our care providers. [​IMG] So I have a real vested interest in how you ladies are all doing!
    stephanie718! likes this.

16. Smfb1363

Smfb1363 Member

Thanks raunchy row!!! How long did it take you to recover or feel back to your normal self? I'm starting month 5 really nauseas and with stomach pain. I see that your pregnant CONGRATS!!!

PINKLEOPARD: I feel like the nausea is almost like morning sickness. Ugh it's soo annoying. I know this is a lil TMI but I've been dry heaving in the morning and it somewhat helps. By the afternoon I feel better.
    Doxielover likes this.

17. Raunchy-Row

My main symptoms were anxiety/panic and depression, lack of appetite and those crazy circular thoughts. It took me a little over a year (and a lot of 5-HTP and B vitamins) to start feeling really myself again and I have always been more prone to anxiety since but I'm pretty good overall I have to say! Married to someone amazing, baby on the way, rolling with the punches. That first year was really rough, and I learned a LOT about myself. Hang in there, it definitely gets better!

18. Smfb1363

Smfb1363 Member

Wow!! Exactly what I'm experiencing. The medical community hasn't changed since you went through this however I'm noticing that some are more aware of hormone imbalance. Thank God for naturopathic doctors. They are the only ones that listen and agree that the pill does this.

BTW, I asked my ND how come the medical community doesn't believe that my symptoms are a result of me stopping the BCP. All she could say was that she doesn't know why. It's a paradigm.
    Doxielover likes this.

19. Evanessa

Evanessa Member

Hi Girls

Hi and congrats again Raunchy Row, I can't remember, did you have the thoughts about your bf? And the "I can't feel love/ I don't know if I love him anymore?" Problem? How long did it last for you?

It is great that you feel so good now I am happy for you and your bf!

Smfb1363: You are right, the doctors don't believe us and wont admit that all of this comes from hormones, even if we are a lot of women telling them how we feel. This is depressing.

Hope we all feel better soon!
    Doxielover likes this.

20. IBelieveInUs

Hey ladies [​IMG] How is everyone? I'm still doing pretty good. That weird food reaction yesterday finally passed. My ND things there was MSG or preservatives in the sauce that I didn't react well to. Anyway, I'm still feeling good in terms of the ROCD and depression. Not 100% but still feeling pretty normal. I think my ND thinks I'm crazy though because I'm always emailing her questions, haha. She told me she wanted to start me on a progesterone supplement so she gave me Slow Flow. But everything I read about it online says that it helps with heavy periods but it doesn't say anything about progesterone or hormone imbalances. But everything else she has given me has been great so I guess I shouldn't doubt her. I'd still like to take something like Vitex that can help balance my hormones. I emailed her about it so I guess we'll see what she says. She also has another menstrual cycle supplement that she's ordered for me so I guess we'll see what happens. It's all trial and error anyway to see what works. And, like I said, everything she has given me has helped so far. So I guess I'll try it.
    Doxielover likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.