Sister in law currently in hospital :(

Discussion in 'Surviving Miscarriage' started by Weirdartist, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

hello, my SIL is currently in hospital bleeding, ahe is 26weeks, and under sthreat of very premature delivery possibly with a hyserectomy [​IMG] Is there anything you would suggest I can do to help her? I am already helping to care for her 2 other children, but I wish I could send her flowers or a card, but I don't know what to say [​IMG] any help is very welcome,
    Thanks.

2. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Awwww sweetie that's hard, I'm sorry [​IMG] Just keep doing what you're doing--if she loses the baby a simple "I'm really sorry" is usually the best thing you can say....I'm sure she would appreciate flowers or a card but knowing that her kids are in good hands is probably the greatest gift you can give her!

3. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

thanks, just wish there was more I could do. She has had a difficult pregnancy, she was told at eight weeks after heavy bleeding she had lost the baby, only to find she had probably lost a twin. Currently nothing has changed, she is still bleeding steadily, but they have organised transfusions to help, hopefully things with get better, but there is no way of knowing. I guess each day the baby is in there it has a higher chance of surviving.

4. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

My SIL went through this a couple of years ago. I know how helpless you are feeling right now but there really is very little you can do.

With my SIL her waters broke at 25 weeks, she was hospitalised and they tried to keep the baby in as long as possible. You are very right in that every single day the baby spends in the mother is going to give the best chance. At 27 weeks SIL's baby was in distress so she had to have an emergency c-section. Baby was born weighing just 1 lb 12 ozs, teeny tiny! I can tell you that she spent 3 months in hospital before she was allowed home and was on oxygen permanently untill she was about 7 months old but now is a very active whirlwind of a child and will be celebrating her second birthday in September.

If baby has to be born they really do have a fantastic chance of survival now days compared to years ago. It will be hard for your SIL and heartbreaking and scary at times and all you can do is let her know you are there for her. Wishing her and her baby the best of luck [​IMG] Please do keep us updated.

5. Temptress Tally

Temptress Tally Super Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing really to say but you already showing her great support that Im sure speaks higher volumes than actual words. Best of luck to both your SIL and her baby. xx

6. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

she is out of hosp, and doing ok, resting up. Baby has settled down and not yet delivered [​IMG]

7. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

Hiya incase anybody is wondering, SIL is currently still pregnant, but has a placenta covering her cervix, she is 32 weeks now, they are in the early stages of planning a high c-section, or an emergency if she goes in to labour more than 4weeks early, she could have the baby anytime between now and 36weeks they recon. Still worried about them both, but at least everything is understood now, and she is having weekly hospital checks. Maybe this subject could be moved to pregnancies? or left here? I don't know what mods feel is appropriate.

8. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

well she has just gone in for an emergency c-section :-s hope things go ok

9. iampam

iampam Active Member

Sending a prayer her way!

10. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

baby has been born, don't know any details, but will assume no news is good news [​IMG] its a girl!

11. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

5lbs 7oz, 6 weeks early, mum doing well, baby doing well in an incubator with feeding tube [​IMG]

12. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

That's a great weight for a babe born early! Hope mom and baby are doing well!

13. Weirdartist

Weirdartist New Member

thanks everyone [​IMG] its all looking pretty good (touch wood!) both are stuck in hospital for at least 5 days, but they have given no time estimates after that, would you like to be kept updated or assume all is well?

14. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Oh nice! Glad she made it til 34w before baby had to come out. Congratulations to you and your family.