Saving a buck....

Discussion in 'Money Saving Tips And Tricks' started by Jessucka, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Jessucka

Jessucka New Member

Did anyone watch today's Oprah? All about saving money.. I got some great tips!!

http://www.oprah.com/index

I did not relaize that you could save so much money just by unplugging your electronics when you're not using them. This one woman started from a $268 bill and went down to a $60 bill. Amazing how much she saved. (My bill is only $51 a month now, I wonder if I could get it down to zero?!) :p

And then there was another woman who started out with a $127 gropcery bill, and by the time she used her member's card and all of her coupons, she was doen to $37. I was speachless because groceries is our weak point. We will eat out fast food anywhere from 2-4 times a week just to save on food. *If I didnt know any better, I would think she was at Price Chopper. And she was able to double her coupons. Does Price Chopper let you double your coupons?*

Then there was a couple of friends who wanted living room make overs, so they just traded furniture. (I dont know about that)
    A couple who found a cell phone company that only charges $5 a month. And they only eat out at restaurants where kids eat for free. They have a whole list of what places they can eat at for what night of the week, etc.

Soooo. What do you guys do to save money? What types can you give us on how to knock a few dollars off a bill? Any secrets you learned from you parent's or grandparents?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

2. Temptress Tally

Temptress Tally Super Moderator Staff Member

Smokers....stop smoking it can save a lot of money

Buy your clothes when they are on sale

If you make a grocery shopping list before you go shoping it can help save you from buying unnecessary things
    Also buy own-brand goods its normally cheaper than other brands

Don't waste water!

Pack in lunch instead of buying quick takeouts

3. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

Walk short distances (rather than driving).

Buy ingredients that will be USED up in that week, rather than more than you need.

Write down what you spend daily, to monitor where the little things go (that add up).

Take away instead of eating out.

4. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe that's different from country to country. In the U.S., buying takeout usually costs the same as eating it in the restaurant would.

Speaking of food: cook from scratch, and make lots of one pot meals that go a long way, enough for leftovers--they can be frozen for later. Soups and stews are the best for that.

Vegetarian meals are usually cheaper than meat meals. If you do eat meat, cook it in ways that make a little go a long way--again, soup or stew, and traditional Italian recipes like lasagna and spaghetti sauce were made for that. Use less meat and more veggies.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

5. Absy

Absy New Member

I am repeating myself from another recent post, but..My favorites: Buy food staples [grains, oil, pasta, nuts, spices, cereal, etc] from bulk bins. So much cheaper!

Suck it up and keep your heat low during winter. Turn it even lower [think low 50s!] at night. Saves so much money.

Apparently my parents had the money so took out their stone-age fridge and popped in a new one...I think mom said they saved something like 100-200 bucks in energy!

My newest-- hauling out my old stuff and selling it on craigslist. I go to the "wanted" section occationally and see what people are needing....sooo much better than listing what you have and waiting for a bite. I sold my old razr phone, which had been sitting in my closet for over a year, that way. The only "hassle" for me was answering an email and putting the phone back to factory setting...yep, they came to me and paid cash for it. Gotta love that!

6. candywannababy

candywannababy New Member

Buying storebrand items at the grocery store instead of the name brand stuff that are sometimes double in price

7. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

Yeah, take away is usually half the price of eating out here!

8. Trilixia

Trilixia New Member

Don't go grocery-shopping when you're hungry..

9. Temptress Tally

Temptress Tally Super Moderator Staff Member

Dont buy LV bags and Manolo shoes
    secondchance likes this.

10. Juicy-Juls

Juicy-Juls Active Member

Ohh...Absy...We use our wood stove for heat, so we pack it full of wood right before bed, close the damper a little and let it burn..But by morning time here in the winter, it's freaking COLD!

I am not allowed to use my central air/heat....LOL

11. Absy

Absy New Member

OMG grocery shopping while hungry is so bad!

I'm sooo bummed we don't have a wood stove *pouts* there is a hookup for one and I would toootally buy one, but it's where Pip's whole area is and there is zero room for us to move her- gah!

My parents have a woodstove which is great for spring/fall...but in dead winter that means the back of the house-ie the bedrooms- get NO heat so you either have to override the house heating so it will go on....or suffer sleeping in a meat locker. BRRR

12. delphysmith

delphysmith New Member

I were thinking that this section might have shopping coupons or deals

13. Laila

Laila New Member

I noticed that planning all of your expenses each month helps me to be more money-aware, so to speak. I collect all my receipts to see how much money I spend on different things and it helps me to estimate the possible expenses for the next month. I admit it is a pain in the neck sometimes but it's quite effective as well. You need to be consistent, which is a big problem for me.