Research on women's experiences with the BC pill

Discussion in 'Contraception' started by tacuba, Nov 18, 2011.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. tacuba

tacuba New Member

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to thank you all of you ladies for your support. I just finished my thesis! I would not have done it without your help. I'll let you know, for those interested in reading it, when and where you can access it (although in French since I'm studying in Paris).
    Thank you again!
    Lots of love,
    Tacuba

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Jenny13

Jenny13 Member

It is so great that you are doing this! Thanks [​IMG]

1. What were the main reasons to start using the pill?

Horribly painful periods as a teen (debilitating cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heavy bleeding), and to prevent pregnancy.

2. What were the main reasons to stop using the pill?

Side effects (weight gain, awful mood swings, chest pain/shortness of breath on BeYaz, heart palpitations, IBS that I did not have before the pill & went away immediately after stopping). Also wanted to be more natural about what I put into my body.

3. How would you describe your relationship with your doctors (the ones that prescribed you the pill)?

Very professional. When I would go in with concerns about side effects, she would brush it off and simply suggest a different brand pill. When I told her I decided to stop the BC pill, she laughed like I was an idiot and tried to talk me out of it.

4. Would you ever come back to the pill? Why?

No. I do not like the way it made me feel and I do not think it is a viable long-term option due to unknown/known side effects.

5. Did you find hard/easy to convince your partners to start using another method of birth control when you decided to quit the pill?

No. My boyfriend has been extremely supportive and wonderful about my decision. We are researching natural methods together and he whole-heartedly supports my decision to explore homeopathic options for dealing with my cramps.

6. What other BC method have you ever tried?

Condoms. Got a prescription for a diaphragm, but I am hesitant to use that unless I buy a natural spermicide.

7. Any other comment or feeling bout the BC pill that you want to share!

I wish more women would question their doctors. Doctors seem so casual about prescribing the pill these days without even hinting at the terrible side effects from long and short-term pill use. Women should not be so naive about what they put into their bodies!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

3. kashii

kashii New Member

I suggest you scroll down to a post called "RAQ - Recently Asked Questions"... Specifically, I don't think the notion that Centchroman actually makes ovulation occur faster/earlier is supported by the research. Some women have noted ovulation symptoms earlier in their cycle, but that's anecdotal, and clinical trials indicated no effect on ovulation. So, that part of the wikipedia entry might not be accurate. If I have time later this week, I can make some edits, or you can do it.
    I suggest you scroll down to a post called "RAQ - Recently Asked Questions"... Specifically, I don't think the notion that Centchroman actually makes ovulation occur faster/earlier is supported by the research. Some women have noted ovulation symptoms earlier in their cycle, but that's anecdotal, and clinical trials indicated no effect on ovulation. So, that part of the wikipedia entry might not be accurate. If I have time later this week, I can make some edits, or you can do it.

4. Maddie

Maddie New Member

I have been on birth control for several years and for the last few years on one that worked well for me. Then I moved to another State where I cannot get the exact one. The pharmacist told me that it's the same - same ingredients - but it's not. After a few days of starting this one I became very anxious and felt like I was losing my mind. I stopped it after about 1.5 weeks - it's been almost 2 weeks since then. I'm not as anxious but feeling very depressed and terrified of feeling anxious again. Does anyone have any experience with this and any idea how long this might last?

5. sam749

sam749 Member

Hi!
    If you're still around feeling horrible, maybe head over here:http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.co...f-stopping-birth-control-part-6.17602/page-25

6. Concerned Mom

Concerned Mom New Member

My 18 year old daughter has always suffered with depression and panic attacks about once every two months. She had cystic acne all over her face, back, shoulders, neck and chest. She went to the Dr. for her acne and the Dr. prescribed birth control Tri-cyclen. Her acne cleared up for the first time in four years. She was extremely happy about that but after taking the pills for four months her family started noticing a behavioral change. She started crying all the time, she will flare up and get very angry which she has never done before. She has become lethargic and had to leave school, she could not be alone in fear that she might kill herself (which had never been a concern before) she got up in the middle of the night and went for a walk and when grandma went to give her a hug she freaked out and cried and melted down. She walked out of her sports event and took off down the road, she can not function at all, she gets migraines and feels nauseous. I am taking her to her Dr. today to see what we can do to get her hormones checked, even though I know that they are just going to prescribe an antidepressant.

7. sam4014

sam4014 Member

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear your daughter is struggling right now. You have found the right place. I've also struggled with anxiety/depression on and off for many years. When I first started the pill, I was VERY emotional/crying over anything. I actually think my anxiety improved after my body adjusted to the pill, but then when I stopped it, it came back full force with a host of other awful symptoms I'm still experiencing months later. Let her know she's not alone, so many women experience terrible side effects from being on the pill and/or stopping. Some women for whatever reason just seem to be more sensitive to hormonal changes and experience all the awful side effects. Hope this helps!

8. Eliza90

Eliza90 Member

I also have experience using these pills. Personally it was awful and I definitely won't recommend them. I felt anxious all the time sometime even dizzy and I lost my appetite completely. Maybe the best thing is consulting a doctor

9. Gigi123

Gigi123 New Member

Hi my name is Giselle I'm 24 years old I was on Gildess Fe 1/20 for about a year and 5 months then I stopped and got a low-dose hormonal IUD (it's a little T that they put in your uterus that has a low dose of progesterone) I stopped the pill is August 7,15 and got my IUD inserted Aug 12,15 but removed October 14,15. Ever since September 2015...everything changed.

I feel like we aren't told what is going to happen when we get off this damn pill.. especially if we have been depending on it for months/years. I got horrible anxiety,sadness,intrusive thoughts,negative,twitching for 5 months straight,feeling off,crying everyother :confused:day due to anxiety/negative intrusive thoughts,guilt,frustration,sadness,hopeless etc. it's certainly all in your head(but not because you want it to is because your body/mind is not balance is all over the place and so nothing is really working well. We are like a car if something is off then the rest of the car will start getting affected eventually. Our brains,hormones,emotions,organs etc. it's all connected.

My life is pretty good/stable. I have a good men, I have friends,my grades are great, my job is easy...I won a scholarship and my finances are getting better. So I know from the bottom of my heart is not situational/environmental but it's more of something being wrong with my body and all that changed when I started feeling like this is me stopping those stupid little pills -.-

I keep this to myself unlike I was in the beginning because I am hopefully just like this came it will go away bc it's very hard to explain to someone unless you are going through it. The thing that keeps me sane when I feel frustrated,overwhelm and wondering why am I thinking such awful negative,intrusive,guilt things or when I'm sad,irritated,annoyed:eek::confused::mad::(....I breath and I think "this too will pass:rolleyes:...I will go back...my body is just readjusting and is not something that will happen overnight..little by little. BABYSTEPS.

I have days were I feel moodswings where I feel happy in the morning or night but not in-between the day. I know right now we are just an up-down and that's okay.

I read it takes women about 6months to a year to get back to feeling 100% so even if we think we are losing our minds with the anxiety/thoughts we need to be strong and realized that while some people stop the pill and are fine ...others are not (like us). Very similar to women who give birth....after birth theirs a huge drop in hormone levels...some women go into postpartum depression for several months bc there body can't adjust that fast from the hormonal changes (being pregnant then suddenly not being pregnant). What happeneds when we stop the pill is that.....we reintroduced our body to a new way of hormonal change...and our bodies are going haywire trying to regulate,kickstar the hormonal production because when we were taking synthetic hormones our bodies were not producing hormones of our own....You know what the synthetic hormone pill makes you do? It tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant and what you have is a "fake period" every month during the brown pills. ---I stopped my birth control around Sept 2015 and I'm still going through a lot of anxiety/intrusive thoughts. However, I'm learning to manage it a little better...it's a hard process because the more you "fight" not being anxious having bad thoughts the more crippling or powerful they become...because you get so much more anxious about having these thoughts. That this get's you paranoid and produce the worst thoughts. It's like your a prisoner of your own anxiety.

I know that my body is slowly going back to normal and your body will too! My period cycle is regulating (not sure if this is because I started doing acupuncture) but I know I will make it through the difference from now to before is that now I have some good days yet I still have very bad days.
    My period cycles have been about 31 days,33 days, 45 days (this cycle was so long), 32 days and now it's heading to 28 days. I've had my hormones tested and it showed normal three times but I was told by doctor that sometimes it can be inaccurate. I really don't know another doctor said hormones are fine. All I know is I certainly don't feel fine after stopping pill.

Before it was all bad days especially around September but now I'm more hopeful. Thing's that have seem to help me: 1. Knowing this is not an OVERNIGHT thing;). That it will in fact take several months for your body/mind to resume to 100% normality. 2. Knowing you are not alone, that although you may sometimes think you are losing your mind and get consume in your anxiety/thoughts being sad. That there are a lot of women who deal with this hormonal transition if you google forums a lot of women of all ages from teens to adults after stopping pill get a list of symptoms from anxiety,depression,mood swings,irritability,,intrusive unwelcome thoughts,OCD,nervousness,acne,hair shedding,weight gain/loss,blurred vision,panic attacks,bloating,chest pain,nausea,twitching,no period for months,dizziness etc. but the ones I mention are the most common. 3.Knowing that YOU WILL get back to your 100% self. This experience will make you stronger and you will feel happy and normal/sane again. Give your body time. I went a few months not really sure what to do...but I decided in Dec/Jan to start taking action...I think it has helped a bit but vitamins take about 3 months to take full effect. I did have a horrible bloating after stopping pill and that went away also I was 123 never been that heavy as I'm 5'2 now I'm 116 pounds.This what I have read online as I read alot and what will be beneficial for your health regardless. 4. Taking a wholefood multivitamin (organic) you can find at places such as wholefoods. I currently take 1. A probiotic, your moods/emotions start with a healthy gut/healthy bacteria. I take Dr.Formulated Probitotics Once daily women's 50 billion. 2. Taking an organic Vitamin Code Raw D3 5,000 IU started taking it yesterday it's from Garden of Life. I don't really get much sun and most Americans are vitamin D deficient. I figured Vitamin D will help elevate my mood through this transition. 3. I take Vitamin Code Raw B-complex (while you are on birth control most of your vitamin/nutrients are depleted) so it's good to give your body vitamin/nutrients at least while you are recovering from this change. 4.My acupuncturist gave me this Chinese herb to regulate cycle...I started going last month and this month I was on a perfect 28-day cycle not sure if it's the herb or acupuncture sessions. I take KPC Herbs "Jia wei xiao yao san" I take 2 pills twice a day so 4 pills total I take them 20 minutes before or after eating (as my acupuncturist told me not to mix with food) 5. I started to exercise yesterday as I never exercise and I heard it is good for stress/elevate your serotonin "your happy hormone in your brain" 6. It is recommended to sleep 7-8 hours a night. With lights completely off 7. Three thing's I read to stay away from during this is alcohol (zero alcohol..alcohol is a depressant), no caffeine at all and cut back on sweets/junk food. You can start juicing and eating healthier. 8. Acupunture is known to be helpful. Some health insurance cover it but if yours doesn't then I would suggest to look through www.groupon.com at acupuncture they have really good deals just make sure you read reviews before going to one. 9. I take Megafoods one daily whole food multivitamin....However, if your going to buy a whole food multivitamin I would suggest the brand "Garden of Life" better...I will be buying that instead after I'm done with this one. 10. Last but certainly not least other recommendations was to take OMEGA 3 you can buy from wholefoods. 11. I'm also taking Natural Vitality natural calm a relaxing magnesium supplement. I honestly feel that those who react bad when coming off pill is because ur bodies maybe were not as strong. I know for me for instances, I was eating horrible alot of fast food while taking the pill, I never really drank water,I didn't sleep well, I never ever exercised or took any vitamins. So when I stopped giving my body synthetic hormones my body did not bounce back well. I decided to write this long thing to make other girls/women feel that they are not alone and that I have read of people going through what we are going through and 6months to a year they are so happy and back to themselves even when they though it would never end.I actually have read forums on people first saying how bad they felt and follow them through the lasts post were they said that it does go away but what we need is patience. Writing about this myself is actually really soothing because there's days that I get down and feel frustrated too but writing this also reminds me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. for now we just have to SUCK IT UP and be tough girls and deal with this..be patient yet discipline. :):D

If anyone has ever gone through this or is going through this. You are more than welcome to share your experiences. This is a forum for women and this way we can let other women know they are not alone and it's normal all this even though it certainly does NOT feel normal. if anyone wants to email or have any questions my email is Giselleacc@yahoo.com