Recent diagnosis of POF at 30... High FSH

Discussion in 'Overcoming Infertility' started by Wishing&Hoping, Dec 17, 2010.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Wishing&Hoping

Wishing&Hoping New Member

I am newly diagnosed with POF at age 30. I came off pill in September 2010 and had my LP then. Haven't seen my period since. I was on the pill for 12 years.

On 11/1 I had my annual GYN visit and she did some bloodwork. Came back with the potential POF news, after which I completely lost it. I am newly married and this was the complete opposite of what I want! FSH was 145, LH 90, Estradiol and progestrone non existent. At this time I did have the menopausal symptoms.

3 weeks later I see an RE. He basically said yep, POF is likely but we'll check again. Did autoimmune tests, thyroid test, genetic tests, etc. Everything came back normal and here's the thing. My levels were about HALF of what they were 3 weeks before. FSH 85, LH 45, Estradiol 71, progestrone still too low.

I have found some hope in knowing the levels are somewhat better. All of my menopausal symptoms have disappeared. I am taking this as a sign that my body just needs time to start producing its estrogen and progestrone after 12 years on the pill. Only sign I have of POF is the lab result.

SOOO here's the most recent update. I was recently retested earlier this week and my levels were even lower! I am convinced it is due to the BCP and my body just needs time. I even started spotting!!!! I did a happy dance around my house when I saw it!

I am desperate. I started acupuncture last week with a guy that specializes in fertility. He actually said that he wouldn't guess I have POF as I appear healthy with none of the typical signs (after the TCM checks). I am holding off on the herbs as I want to see if my body balances itself. I also started taking wheatgrass shots everyday. I have a normal BMI and I exercise 3+4 times a week. I am going to start yoga. I will also begin watching specifically what I eat.

Please respond with your thoughts. I need inspiration. I really, really, really what children. [​IMG]
    Am I giving myself false hope???

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. iampam

iampam Active Member

I would recommend taking your basal body temperature in the mornings to help you figure out if/when you are ovulating.

It sounds like your body is moving in the right direction on its own, that is very promising [​IMG]

3. Wishing&Hoping

I am not ovulating per my RE. He said he knows for sure as my progesterone is 0.3.... [​IMG] Is there anything else I can do? Like others here, I am THE ONLY ONE who doesn't have kids around me.

Has anyone else experienced high FSH coming off the pill?

4. iampam

iampam Active Member

Hmm well if you haven't had your period since coming off the pill, you're probably not ovulating yet, but if you do start to get it with any regularity, I definitely recommend taking your BBT to see if you started again.

5. Jenice

Jenice New Member

Hi, I haven't been on in a long time althought I do read around bit from time to time to see how others I used to chat with are doing. It is possible that your body is still trying to figure out what it is supposed to do after being on the pill. When I stopped the pill I had about 5 months of normal periods and then everything stopped! It took another 6 months before I got my period again and then miraculously conceived. My FSH and LH levels were all messed up too. I now have a 19 month old beautiful daughter. Don't give up, anything is possible. Give your body some time to figure out what to do. A RE is a good place to be. Good luck!

6. Wishing&Hoping

Jenice, thank you so much. I need to hear these stories. I am not ovulating and therefore no periods, but my estrogen is back to normal and at least I spotted at one point!

I am stressing out over every little thing - like now I am convinced I am losing hair due to low progesterone levels... [​IMG]

7. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I believe that your body is just balancing itself out. Good luck!!!

8. Wishing&Hoping

Thank you!!!! Fingers crossed and on my knees praying!!

9. iampam

iampam Active Member

The good news is you're still fairly young. You can try for a few years to get your body back on track naturally and still have time to try other options if it doesn't work out.

10. Wishing&Hoping

Thank you all for the vote of confidence. It is times like these where you are stressed and emotional to the max that you need to hear that people are behind you!

11. Wishing&Hoping

Just an update - period MIA for a few months. Kept doing acupuncture and started chinese herbs. Guess what came Saturday! Got my period on my own, no hormones needed!! Hopefully this is a sign I'm headed to ovulation!!!

12. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

That's great news!

13. iampam

iampam Active Member

Awesome! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction [​IMG]

14. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

That's great news!

15. Wishing&Hoping

I need some advice - ladies, please respond!

So, here's the update! I mentioned above that I ended up getting my period ON MY OWN (yippee! -- although technically I am taking chinese herbs). That period happended at day 77. This was my 1st period after taking Prometrium to get my period the last time around. AF came and went - no cramps, bright red, all good stuff.

I have been continiung the chinese herbs and acupuncture. Now, in talking to my acupuncturist, he said we are shooting to get my cycles regular, then for ovulation. (NONE of my cycles had the biphasic pattern showing ovulation.) He said the last one occured at day 77, let's shoot for the 50's.

Guess what! It is day 44 and I got my period! I am also (over)analyzing my chart to see if maybe I ovulated!

So today is Day 1. I am thinking maybe I should get my levels checked again? I am scared of my RE though.. it is also just a depressing place to visit. He doesn't believe in anything I am doing and said I have POF - end of story.

Anyways, I am a mouth breather and I'm thinking of temping vaginally? Maybe that will be more accurate for me? I didn't see a rise in BBT, but I did see a huge drop about 18 days before my period started...

Ok ladies? What do you think?

16. scarlettF

scarlettF New Member

wishing & hoping...how are you doing? Just wondering if there is any hope for me!