Pregnant or way too soon to tell?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by shibby, Apr 23, 2009.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. shibby

shibby New Member

I've been on the ttc boards but this is my first time in this board. I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy or if there's something going on. I went off the pill the end of Dec 08 and started tracking my bbt. I realized about a month ago I was reading the thermometor wrong, real smart. I lnoe that gping pff the pill can take awhile for your body to gp back to normal and ovulate. I used a couple ovulation calculators online to predict ovulation. Since going off the pill my periods have been 5 weeks apart til this month. I had predicted it to start Wed April 22, but it started mid day fri April 17, seemed to be somewhat normal for about 2 days, was light for about a day and a half then stopped. Usually my periods are 4-5 days long and then trail off. We had unprotected sex April 5 and 7, the estimated days around ovulation...and then a few more times the following week. My question is, is it too early to tell if your pregnat? I've felt bloated for about a week or so, before and after my "period" which usually goes away after. I've also had achey type headaches that are light and go away, but not suite if it's work stress or what. I'm wondering if that was implantation bleeding or just a shorter earlier period...? My periods are usually normal and regular. Is it too soon to take a pregnancy test like ept?

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. shibby

shibby New Member

Sorry for the crappy spelling in my 1st post, I typed it out on my phone. I also wanted to ask, with pregnancy tests do you have to test in the AM only? I read with ept you can test any time of the day...?

3. BethG

BethG New Member

shibby, sounds perfectly normal actually. A three-and-half day flow is entirely normal. How long was your period before?

You had unprotected sex *around* when you think you ovulated and then had bleeding roughly 10-days later. That was definitely your period, I'd say.

So how were you reading the thermometer wrong? Maybe we can help.

4. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

well, if the last time you had unprotected sex was on april 7th than a pregnancy test would be accurate by now. usually it will work within 14 days after the last time you had unprotected sex. tests have different sensitivity levels, so some of them will take longer to work, i think EPT might be on the higher end of the scale, but im not really sure about that. go to www.peeonastick.com and you should be able to see all the sensitivity levels for most brand name tests. you dont have to use your first morning urine (FMU) if you dont want to, its just more accurate (especially if you are testing early in your cycle) because it will have the highest concentration of the pregnancy hormone in it. if you dont use your first pee then try to hold it for at least 3 hours and dont drink a lot of liguids to dilute it beforehand! good luck [​IMG]

5. shibby

shibby New Member

M period is usually about 5 days long. I figured out the thermometor thing, I just wasn't holding the button down for the temp...instead I just pushed it once which kept showing the exact same temp I over and over.

6. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

oh no! that had to be frustrating lol! im sorry. maybe give temping another go now that you know if you arent pregnant yet [​IMG]

7. shibby

shibby New Member

yeah I know! I just kept thinking, why is my temp always the same!! LOL

8. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Take a test Shibby! Thats the only way to know for sure. Based on what you said, it might be positive by now. You can take a pregnancy test at any time of the day, but first thing in the morning is best since it is most concentrated. Good luck!

9. shibby

shibby New Member

I took a test after work and it was neg, so I'm assuming maybe my period is getting on a more regular schedule finally after being on the pill...? I guess we'll just try again on the next go 'round! [​IMG]

10. BethG

BethG New Member

sorry about the BFN, shibby. So are you temping now and using FertilityFriend to track it? Sounds like today (Thursday) should be CD7 for you. Show us your chart!

BTW, I love your pups! I think I remember seeing a post of yours before and noticing the pic. What are the two short ones? They look like a cross between a dauschand (sp) and a shorthaired pointer!

11. shibby

shibby New Member

Oh boy, I don't really know how to put my chart on here! I don't know what the url is that goes directly to it. :S I just have the free version, does that matter?? And what does CD7 mean? I'm not quite up on all the lingo yet. :p I've been using webmd's ovulation calendar and from what it shows, it says Thurs April 30 should be a fertile day and Fri May 1 should be a very fertile day. DH and I are hoping for a boy, so I've been trying to eat more things on the boy diet...and for me, I normally eat a lot of things from that diet anyway, so we'll see. [​IMG] I also am going to try some ovulation predictor tests to see if I can get a better idea of ovulation from those, since I just figured out I was reading my bbt wrong and I don't have much to go on with that, lol.

And yeah, you're right about our dogs! Both of them are purebred dachshunds. Buster is a chocolate and tan dapple and Jake is a black and tan piebald....and Bo is our german shorthair. [​IMG] I love the pic of your dog and cat sitting so nicely together.

12. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Shibby. I have a male miniature dachshund, black and tan named Bo! [​IMG]

13. BethG

BethG New Member

I've never seen dachsaunds that were anything other than the brown so that's why I thought maybe they were mixes. Sorry about that! Very cute though. I love dogs! Our girl Morgan is definitely a mix. German Shepherd, black Lab, and maybe some Border Collie.

To share your chart, you can either post the link or post it in your siggy. To do that, go to your chart. On the left side you'll see "Sharing" as an option in the purple bar. Chose that and go to "Home Page Setup." At the very top, you'll see "Your Home Page Web Address", copy that.

To just post it in your reply, copy it, hit "Switch to Full Reply Screen" at the bottom of the Quick Reply box, and hit the 2nd button from the left (next to the smiley face." Pretty much self-explanatory from there.

To post it in your siggy, find "My Stuff" towards the top of this page. About 3/4 down is Signature. Just post the link in there. Preview to make sure it works then.

CD means Cycle Day. Based on when you said the bleeding started, I had estimated that you were probably on Cycle Day 7. At least when I posted that reply, lol.

14. shibby

shibby New Member

Oh yeah, most people don't know what kind of dogs they are since they aren't the "normal" dachshund colors! :p

Ok, well here's my chart...hope I did it right:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/258645

It says I'm on CD 15 and I've been using the ovulation test strips for the last couple days, but the results have been negative so far. So maybe I have a few more days to go before I ovulate...? I dunno.

15. BethG

BethG New Member

Actually shibby, I thought CD13 might have been O-day because of that dip which was followed by a rise, but I'm not 100% sure. All you can do right now is keep temping, keep using the OPKs (and keep having sex!) until you see that FF notes your ovulation day.

16. shibby

shibby New Member

Yeah I dunno....but wouldn't the OPK test I did on Thurs (CD14) have been + instead of - if that were the case? I just don't know, lol.

17. BethG

BethG New Member

No, an OPK is positive BEFORE ovulation so if CD13 was O-day, it probably wouldn't be positive on CD14. Anxious to see your temp today (Sat) to see what's going on!

18. shibby

shibby New Member

Well my temp today was 97.51...just .02 lower than yesterday.....gosh dangit, does that mean we missed our window this month??

19. leeaman7777

leeaman7777 Active Member

If I had to take a guess by looking at your chart I would say you ovulated on cd13.

20. shibby

shibby New Member

Well on Wed and Thurs I did an OPK test and they were both clearly negative...the test line did not show up at all, only the control line showed up. This evening (Sun) when I did the OPK test, the test line shows up just baaaarely lighter than the control line. So I'm not sure if that's a definite negative or if that means I haven't ovulated yet and will soon...??