* Pregnant After Ectopic - Part 2 *

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by gutterflower, May 3, 2009.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. jril54

jril54 Member

Congrats Jackie on the birth of Sophia. Looks like our babies were born on the same day after all. And they were an oz off in weight (Braddock was 8lbs 2oz's) and almost the same length (he was 20 and 3/4 inches).

Gigi, in response to your ? about how breastfeeding is coming along...well I've just about stopped. I took him on 6/9 to have him weighed at a breastfeeding support group. Well he was only 7 pounds 13.5 oz's at that weight check. It was on a Tuesday and the Thursday before that he weighed 7 pounds 12 oz's at the ped office. So he had only gained 1.5 oz's in 5 days. I completely freaked out even though the lactation consultant told me that because 2 different scales were used, his weight could have been off. So I came home that day and gave him formula only while I pumped. The next day I nursed some, pumped some, and gave him some feedings with formula only. I was really having a hard time because all I could think about was that my baby wasn't getting enough nourishment but I had such a strong desire to continue breastfeeding. I went from Tuesday to Friday stressing myself out. I spoke back and forth with the lactation consultant but decided not to get a prescription from my doc. I cried and prayed over what I should do and then Saturday morning (6/13) at his 7:30 am feeding I decided to stop. I had a really bad tear on my nipple that had been bleeding for awhile. For whatever reason the let down on that breast was really strong and he couldn't figure out how to slow down the flow. So he would pull on it while gasping for breath until he pulled off of it or I unlatched him. Then he would take several breaths and need to be relatched. Because of the pulling, I couldn't get the tear to heal. Anyway after suffering with the tear for as long as I did and him not gaining weight appropriately, which was causing me to turn into a complete nut, I decided it was best for us to stop. I do still give in and nurse him once at night as it's the only way I can get him to calm down and get into a sleep mode. I don't understand why he can fall asleep just fine during the day with his paci but at night he will fuss and fuss until I put him on the boob. I haven't had time to look it up but I thought for sure my milk would be dried up by now with it being a week with only one nursing session a day. But I still have to wear nursing pads because I leak. Anyway he's was up to 8lbs 9oz a couple of days ago. Finally past his birth weight at 4 wks. Poor guy has also been stuggling with acid reflux. It seems to be getting worse now that he's on formula. My dd was on meds for hers and I think he may need to be as well. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems breastfeeding. I know what you are going through. Have you looked into a prescription called domperidone? That's one that the lactation consultant recommended to me. I don't know if it's better than Reglan or not but if the Reglan didn't work for you, maybe you could ask your doctor/lactation consultant if you should try it. Also I know you said you rented a scale. If you are still trying to monitor weight gain, have you looked at the baby scale at Target? They have one that we purchased for $59 to monitor Braddock's weight when I decided to switch to formula. We returned it once we saw that he was gaining weight and got our money back. Just a thought. Hope things get better for you soon, keep thinking positive.

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. jril54

jril54 Member

Leann, the best part of the 3rd trimester for me was knowing that I was almost to the end. After getting help from the chiropractor, the pain and suffering stopped. I felt great the last couple of weeks. Hmm...the worst part of the last trimester I'd have to say was not being able to sit in or move into certain positions because of my pelvic problems. Oh and the lack of sleep. And also getting up 3 times a night to go pee. That's all I can remember right now, lol. As for the swelling, it's different for everyone. I don't even remember when it started for me with Braddock but it got bad toward the end. I started gaining 2 lbs. a week at the end from water weight.

3. jril54

jril54 Member

DQ, the kids are adorable.

4. Leann

Leann New Member

Hi, well the blood pressure issue has seemed to control itself. The exact words from my doctor on Thursday were "quitting your job has done you justice" ...it made me smile. I knew it would help. I feel great other wise. It starting to get extremely hot and humid here in GA as I am sure it is everywhere else but I am starting to get BIG and the heat isn't helping. I don't have to go back to the doctor until July 7 which is a relief considering that I was having to go almost every week because of my blood pressure. This time of year is bitter sweet because my ep was exactly a year ago...when I was going through the hell. Now it just makes me realize how lucky I am. I got sad earlier when I realized that my next appt is on the exact day that we found out that it was a ectopic and my first metho shot. Now a year later, I am starting my third trimester. Its amazing how life works itself out. I still can't believe my third trimester is in just a few weeks away. Don't get me wrong I have been pregnant ALL year and I feel it but now its like I have so much to do in so little time and each week that goes by is another.

I am so happy to hear that everyone here is doing great.

My thoughts are prayers are with Lisa!
    Take Care ladies and all your babies are beautiful.

OH, DQ have you started working part time yet? If so how is it going?

5. gigi

gigi New Member

Jril,

Sorry to hear you were dealing with weigh issues with Braddock too. It really does drive you nuts. I am feeling so much happier these past few days now that Isa is eating more--taking in about 25 ounces/day. I have been pumping and giving her pumped breastmilk during the day and supplementing with formula at night and when I run out of breastmilk. I only put her to the breast to comfort her. I don't know why she is unable to get out the milk I have but I can pump it out. I have had to use a faster flow nipple in the bottle so that she doesn't give up drinking. I was using a slower flow nipple and she would just give up and fall asleep. I wish I knew what the underlying problem is but at least she is starting to gain some weight. Anyway, it also helps that it now only takes 30 minutes to pump and feed her whereas before it was taking an hour to an 1 1/2 hours so I have more free time and that is a big deal. I guess I will continue to pump for as long as I can as it isn't that bad at present and if I need to skip a pumping then I will.

Well, thanks for letting me know your struggle. It helps to know I'm not alone. It seems all my friends are able to breastfeed with no problem so it is pretty lonely to be the sole one that isn't able to. Glad Braddock is on his way to being a chubby kid.

6. lisamavs

lisamavs New Member

Ladies,
    Well you may have heard that I developed peripartim cardiomyopathy (cogestive heart failure during or after pregnancy) and this is the first time I have been able to get online since. I hope all of you are doing well and I miss all of you very much. I have very little energy right now but I plan on getting better. 50% of women who get this (only 1,000 per year in the US) do recover and after all I have been through to have our miracle ALex, I will be one of them. He is doing very well and was born 8.3 oz and very healthy! He is 4 weeks 4 days old and my DH got on a scale with and without him and he is over 12lbs already in 3 month old clothes!! We had to stop breastfeeding because of my medications so I wish I could take credit for this weight gain but I have to credit it to the formula. I miss breastfeeding but finally have accepted it most days that it was the only safe choice for ALex. Again, I hope you are all well and I will try my best to let you know how we are doing. ((HUGS)) Lisa

7. gigi

gigi New Member

Lisa,

I just logged and saw your message. So glad to hear from you. So sorry about your heart problems but I love your attitude. I know what you say will be true. You have been through so much and you will overcome this too. You really are an inspiration and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know you cannot log on as often as before but please keep us updated when you can.

As for breastfeeding, I know that must have been hard to give it up, but Alex's safety/health is all that counts. I have had some breastfeeding issues and I know how hard a struggle it is to think of giving it up. I am doing half and half--breastmilk and formula. I have had some weight issues with Isabella. She was born at 9 lbs and is only 10 1/2 at 7 weeks. I found out this rough breathing she had is called laryngomalacia, and it is said to sometimes cause feeding issues. She is starting to gain weight so I hope that continues to be the case. I am envious of hearing Alex is 12 lbs, but I think Isa will be catch up soon.

Anyway, please take care of yourself and know your "family" here is wishing you the best.

8. DQ143

DQ143 New Member

Lisa,

I am so glad you posted! I've been so worried about you! There is not a day that goes by that you're not in my thoughts.

Alex sounds like he is doing great! I cannot believe he is a month old all ready. I cannot believe we have all had our babies now (well at least the first round of us). Nadster is even about to deliver now. Lily will be 3 months old on Friday. It does seem like yesterday she was born.

As for breastfeeding, the most important thing to Alex is his mother's love. You're doing your best, and Alex knows that. I believe w/ all my heart you can do anything you set your mind to, and you will get better.

I'll touch base again with you soon.

9. DQ143

DQ143 New Member

Leann-

Sorry it's taken me a while to touch base with you. Working now has changed my "free time". I am working full time, but only part time in the office if that makes sense. So the days I'm at home it's a little bit of a struggle. Mainly b/c Lily seems to be a catnapper. It seems as soon soon as I get a settled into work, it's time for a feeding. Her feeding schedule is pretty good, but I cannot seem to get her on a good nap schedule yet. She is sleeping thru the night for the most part, and I think starting next week I'll move her into her crib and out of the bassinett.

How are you feeling? I was relieved to hear your blood pressure issue seems to be under control. Quiting your job has done the trick! Did you all pick a name yet? If my memory is correct you all were still trying to decide. Only a few more months and your LO will be here too. I cannot wait for you!

10. Leann

Leann New Member

Hey Ladies, Its been a few since I have checked the boards.

Lisa, It is so good to hear from you! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

DQ,
    I am doing wonderful! I had my 3D ultrasound today he is adorable. I am 27 weeks and I swear my belly gets bigger daily. Everyone keeps telling me it is going to get much bigger [​IMG]. I cannot believe Lily is three months. I bet you miss her but is good that your only working p/t.

I do not know how to post pics here but if you or anyone wants to see my 3d u/s pics just PM me your email address or if any of you have facebook I posted them on my page.

Take Care everyone!

11. nadster

nadster New Member

Lisa,

I'm happy to hear you and your little precious baby boy Alex are doing good. I hope you keep getting better and better everyday.

Good luck.

Nadia

12. DQ143

DQ143 New Member

Nadia!

OMG!! You are so close to having your LO. I cannot believe it!! I remember when you first asked me about the watch. I am so going to borrow it when and if we ttc again.-LOL. How are you feeling? I know you have to be so excited that the baby is almost here. I was just looking at your ticker and thinking, I was at 38 weeks exactly when Lily was born, so it could be any day now.

Keep us all posted on how you're doing. And I'm sure I speak for the rest of us, we want to see some photos!!!

13. lisamavs

lisamavs New Member

Hello ladies [​IMG]

I wanted to thank all of you for your well wishes and support. I have my good days and bad days but I plan on having more better days then good and beating this terrible thing! I wish there was more information out there to help me understand all of this but unfortunatly there is very little out there because it only affects about 1,000 women per year here in the US and I am not sure how many world wide. I was thinking about starting a post here to reach out to other women with this but I am not sure what kind of repsonse I will see with so few of us out there. I am glad this is rare but wish I could find more people to help me understand how I feel or if this feeling or that with my heart is normal. I can tell you I am grateful for every day I have here with Alex and my DH. Many women die from this before they even have a chance to fight to be with their babies. Not to say I don't feel angry and cheated some days after going through so much to have Alex and now that I have this too is a little much to bear sometimes but my DH, family, friends and your kind words from my "online family" keep me positive and that really helps.

Please accept a huge ((HUG)) from me and Alex! I don't know how we could have gotten here without all of you and your wonderful support!!!! I am so happy to see all of you doing well and having your precious babies in your arms or on their way here soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. BJ99

BJ99 New Member

Hi Lisa,

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that at some point I will call and if you can't answer or don't, it's ok as I will just leave my personal message and support of your speedy recoverly!!!

Much Love,

~Jen

We miss you on the other threads and often check in here to see how your doing.

((((((((LISA))))))))

15. Bobeba

Bobeba New Member

Hello, I am new. I was curious if you don't mind, what your experiences were after your ectopic with trying again. I just had one and it is scary.

16. jril54

jril54 Member

I'm such a slacker these days. With everyone home, including dh, I have almost no time to post.

Lisa, I'm so glad to see you post. I think you should start a thread to see if you can find some other women out there to talk to about your condition. You'll never know until you try. I am so sorry that you have to experience this after all that you've been through. It's so unfair but your attitude is so positive, I know you'll get through it. (((((HUGS)))))

17. gigi

gigi New Member

Bobeba,

Sorry to hear about your ectopic. I had my EP in April 2008. I had been trying for a few months and was so happy. Unfortunately, it was an EP. I had one metho shot and waited 3 mos before ttc. I had an HSG test done b/c I wanted to see the status of my tubes. My doctor said I didn't need it but I insisted. The test showed that my left (the ectopic side) was blocked. I, of course, was devastated but grateful to find out the information. The plan after that was to monitor my ovulation and only ttc on months I ovulated from my right (good) side. As luck would have it, the first month I was able to try again, I ovulated from my right side and got pregnant that month. I think the only reason I got pregnant so fast was b/c of the HSG; it is suppose to help clear your tubes and I think it did that for me. Kind of like a tune-up. So that is my story. I just had my baby on May 7, 2009. I know that right now, things are probably feeling pretty bleak--I know I felt pretty hopeless and angry at the time of my EP--but just remember you only need one good tube. Just remain positive and don't lose hope--it will happen. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions. All of us on this forum know what it is like to go through an EP. Take care of yourself!

18. DQ143

DQ143 New Member

Bobeba,

So sorry to hear about your ep. I had my ep in March 2008, after having one shot of mxt, that did nothing, I had emergency surgery and had my right tube removed. I was told to wait 2 cycles and then ttc again. AF took forever to come back, and I need some medical assistance from some progrestrone to get it back. Finally 9 weeks later it returned. Had my HSG in July to make sure my one remaining tube was open, and then got pg that same cycle. My dd was born on April 3, 2009. 1 year + 1 week to the day I had my surgery. A little ironic how things come full circle.

I still think of my ep daily even w/ the birth of my LO. It's not something you'll get over easily, but it does get easier over time to deal with.

As for ttc, it will happen for you. I had the hsg and swear by it. BUT I also recommend to anyone that thinks about the hsg to make sure you think about both outcomes. But as Gigi and I can tell you, you only need one good tube. As for being scared about getting pg, it will be just as scary for you when you do get a bfp as ttc. Just take things one day, and now you know what steps they will do when you do get that bfp. You'll have the b/w again to check you hcg levels, and an ultrasound to make sure the baby is in the uterus. And honestly, I think knowing the steps helped me get thru the first few weeks. Plus the ladies here. I did notice you were on the ttc after ep thread too. I'm sure you're getting some great support there as well. Never hesitate to pop over here too. We all understand and we'll do what ever we can to help.

Good luck, and remember just take each day as it comes. You'll get thru this.

19. DQ143

DQ143 New Member

Nadia-

Have you had that baby yet?

20. nadster

nadster New Member

Hello ladies.

no baby yet. My doctor thinks I will pass my date. Ohhhhhh let's see I walk and clean and take my nephews out all day so I try to induce labour. Next I will try castor oil if I pass my date :)

Yes I remember DQ when you introduced me to the OV watch I owe it allll to you. I Lent that watch to a very very close friend of mine but did not ask her if it is working yet cause it is personal and some woman like to wait three months before saying anything that they are pregnant so i won't be asking I hope it works for her as it did for me.

I will let you all know when I give birth. I can't can't can't wait to give birth Ohhhh I can't wait. to meet my little "Jayda"