Pregnancy and Panic Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Wellbeing' started by Miss Delia, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Miss Delia

Miss Delia New Member

I'm not sure where this post belongs bit here it goes... I have a pretty severe panic disorder. I've never taken medication and most days it's livable if not exactly manageable. I want to be a mother but I'm terrified of having a panic attack while I'm pregnant. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you know if pregnancy will make it worse? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Delia!
    If you were to become pregnant they might ask you to consider taking medication prior and during the pregnancy and continuing into the post partum. There is a growing body of evidence that there is risk to baby (low birthweight, preterm labour etc.) when Mom has unresolved mental health issues (this is why they weigh carefully the risk/benefit of staying on antidepressants through your entire pregnancy and into post partum). It would be worth having a lengthy discussion with your doc about what s/he thinks would be a good plan prior to trying to conceive. It may be that they want you to see how you feel early on in the pregnancy, or do some counselling on a regular basis. I think there are lots of options and by no means is it a contraindication to pregnancy or raising children, just needs more careful management from the very beginning!

3. emersonkelly

emersonkelly New Member

You should take proper medication before planning pregnancy and continue it during the pregnancy period also to ensure safe delivery!!