Postpartum Amenorrhea question

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Sweetubofhoney, May 16, 2013.

1. Sweetubofhoney

Sweetubofhoney New Member

I've been having lower abdomen aches, like PMS cramping for the last few days. This is the first time I'm experiencing this postpartum. I'm still breasfeeding my LO who is currently 10 months old. I mostly breastfeed during evenings, night, and early morning...since I work full time (I also pump at work 2-3 times a day). BTW, I follow NFP/FAM so there is no hormonal birth control to blame. And no, I'm not currently pregnant.
    My question is, is this cramping I'm feeling normal at 10 months postpartum? How long does it take for menstruation to return?

2. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that it can return anytime, but that if you're still BF/stimulating every 3 hours even overnight it's less likely to. That being said, you could be having ovulation pains--in which case watch for your AF in a couple if weeks, even as light spotting. But I don't think it's uncommon or anything to be worried about.

3. Sweetubofhoney

Sweetubofhoney New Member

Thank you. I couldn't find much information anywhere on how long it takes to return on women who pump during the day and BF evening till morning. I'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

4. Bron

Bron New Member

It can differ so much from woman to woman - some women BF exclusively and still have AF return in 3 months or even less, while others have to stop completely before AF returns - with my first child I had AF 5 months after my baby was born despite exclusive BFing though with the BFing it was very irregular and I could go months before having another AF. With my second child I didn't even get AF back when I dropped to one feed at night only - I had to stop every feed to get AF back when my DD was 26.5 months old.