Night terrors??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by erin321, Feb 9, 2010.

1. erin321

erin321 New Member

I seem to be making a lot of new posts lately. Sorry!

Does anyone know anything about night terrors, or had a child that had them? I am concerned that this may be happening with Hailey but I'm not sure. Occasionally, like last night, she will wake up in the middle of the night absolutely shrieking. I mean, literally ear piercing shrieks. Nothing seems to calm her down. I pick her up and she continues to scream and push away from me. She seems to have a blank stare on her face. She looks awake by all accounts except she's not incredibly responsive. She did this last night for at least 30 minutes before she somewhat calmed down, but then of course she was awake for hours after that. She has woken up at night for months, so that isn't new, but the behavior is. She has done it a few times before.

Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, any advice on how to handle it?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: She is currently cutting 2 more teeth so I don't know if maybe that's contributing to the screaming instead... I'm so confused!

2. beetleboy63

beetleboy63 New Member

Our youngest daughter used to do the same thing, scared us to death more than once. When we'd get her from her bed to comfort her she would look like she was awake but she actually wasn't. Try making sure she is awake and then comfort her. Our daughter eventually grew out of it. Good luck, I know it can be terrifying at times.

3. JuliaB

JuliaB New Member

My daughter used to do this too. She would wake up and scream and cry and her eyes would be glazed over. It was really scary. We talked to our doctor and looked up information. But then after a few months of this it just stopped and hasn't been a problem since. Thank God!

4. lucashem

lucashem New Member

Erin, it almost sounds like she is in pain from teething. Alex had a few months of bad nights that he would wake up screaming, but luckily he would calm down quickly. I'm almost certain it was from teething because after he cut his teeth he would start sleeping through again.

My oldest daughter is a sleepwalker, but it started out with her just waking up screaming. I forget how old she was when she started this but I think she was a bit older like 3 or 4. She's 8 now and still will wake up screaming or I'll catch her sleepwalking. She is totally unaware of what she is doing.

It sounds like you are doing all you can to comfort her. If she is waking from terrors, the best way to try to get her out of it is to make sure she's awake like beetleboy said, (because they are hard to calm down if they aren't awake) and just give her alot of love and cuddles.

Good Luck!

5. kryssiikins

kryssiikins New Member

Well, it may be the pain from teething, but if its night terrors your best bet is making sure they are happy and relaxed when you put them to bed. Set the room up with some happy themes and VERY dim lighting so that when she wakes up she sees good images. Put her to sleep after a warm bath, some light music, and warm milk. Hopefully she will come out of the phase.

6. Laksh

Laksh New Member

This is exceptionally decent and OK post....You shook posting it....Thanks a ton for posting it....!!