New to TTC (Trying to conceive) join us here!!

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by **Cleo**, Jul 29, 2008.

1. **Cleo**

**Cleo** New Member

<span style="font-size: 17pt">Welcome to the TTC forum!! </span> [​IMG]

This thread is dedicated to those who have just started out on their exciting TTC journey, though we hope your stay is short [​IMG] we want you to feel right at home! so get posting!!!!!!

If you have a chart that you would like us all to stalk [​IMG] then PM your chart link to leeaman7777 who will happliy add it to our Master Charters List

If you have been TTC for a while now i.e. longer than 1 year, there are threads dedicated to you and you will find other members going through the same up's and downs who will offer loads of support if things get tough but we kindly ask that you have been TTC for the length of time indicated in the title before posting in these threads.

All that is left to say GOODLUCK and HAVE FUN!! [​IMG]

<span style="font-size: 17pt">TTC Abbreviation List</span>

2WW- 2 Week wait
    AF- Aunt Flo (ie: period)
    AFNW- Aunt Flo Not Wanted
    AFSA- Aunt Flo Stay Away
    BBS- Boobs
    BBT- Basal Body Temperature
    BD- Baby Dancing
    BCP-Birth Control Pills
    BF- Boyfriend
    BFC- Big Fat Congratulations
    BFP- Big Fat Positive
    BFN- Big Fat Negative
    BMS - Baby-making Sex
    BTDT- Been There Done That
    BUMP- Trying to move post up for others to see
    C- Cycle
    CB- Cycle Buddy
    CBEFM- Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor
    CD- Cycle Day
    CF- Cervical Fluid
    CM- Cervical Mucus
    CNM- Certified Nurse Midwife
    D&amp;C-dilation and curettege. The surgery after a miscarriage when your body does not properly flush out tissues and cells, to prevent infection.
    DD- Dear Daughter
    DH- Dear Husband
    DI- Donor Insemination
    DPO- Days Post Ovulation
    DF- Dear Fiancée
    DH- Dear Husband
    DS- Dear Son
    DX- Diagnosis
    EDD- Estimated due date
    Endo- Endometriosis
    EPT- Early Pregnancy Test
    ET- Embryo Transfer
    EWCM- Egg White Cervical Mucus
    FF- Fertility Friend
    FIL- Father in law
    FMU- First Morning Urine
    FRER- First Response Early Result (HPT)
    FTTA- Fertile Thoughts To All
    GL- Good Luck
    GP- General Practitioner
    GWV- Get Well Vibes
    H&amp;H- Healthy &amp; Happy
    HCG- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
    HPT- Home Pregnancy Test
    HRT- Hormone Replacement Therapy
    HTH- Hope That Helps
    HX- History
    IF- Infertility
    IC- Internet Cheapie (HPT)
    IMO- In my opinion
    IPS- Imaginary Pregnancy Symptoms
    IUI- Intra-uterine Insemination
    IVF- In Vitro Fertilization
    KWIM- Know what I mean
    LMP- Last Menstrual Period (start date)
    LO- Love Olympics (Love Making)
    LOL- Laugh Out Loud or Lots Of Love
    LMAO- Laughing my *ss off
    LH- Hormone detected by the OPK
    LP- Luteal Phase
    LPD- Luteal Phase Defect
    M/C- Miscarriage
    MFI- Male Factor Infertility
    MIL- Mother in law
    M/S- Morning Sickness
    MW- Midwife
    NP- Nurse Practitioner
    O- Ovulation. Variants: Oed, Oing
    OB- Obstetrician/Gynecologist
    OMG- Oh My God
    OT- Off Topic
    OPK- Ovulation Predictor Kit
    P&amp;PT- Prayer &amp; Positive Thoughts
    PG- Pregnant
    PI- Primary Infertility
    PMS- Pre-menstrual Syndrome
    POF- Premature Ovarian Failure
    POAS- Pee On a Stick
    PROM- Premature Rupture of Membranes
    PUPO- Pregnant until proven otherwise
    PUTB- Pillow Under The Butt
    PV- Positive Vibes, pregnancy vibes,
    RE- Reproductive Endocrinologist (aka: Fertility Dr.)
    ROFLMAO- Rolling On Floor Laughing My *ss Off
    RPL- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    RPS- Real Pregnancy Symptoms
    RSA- Recurrent Spontaneous Abortion
    RX- Prescription
    SA- Semen Analysis
    SI- Secondary Infertility
    SMU- Second morning urine
    SO- Significant Other
    STD- Sexually Transmitted Disease
    SV- Sticky Vibes
    SX- Symptoms
    TMI- Too much info
    TPQ- Time Pass Quickly
    TTA- Trying To Avoid
    TTC- Trying To Conceive
    U/S- Ultrasound
    UTI- Urinary Tract Infection
    VR- Vasectomy Reversal
    W2OW- White Blood Cells
    WTG- Way To Go
    YI- Yeast Infection
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

2. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

good lord cleo, that must have taken ages to type out. glad you did though cause i didnt realise there were so many, id never heard several of them!

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Whoa, I've never seen so many acronyms!

I'm a little unsure of where to post...here, or 'Project Baby?' Both threads aren't being frequented too much, so I'll start here!

So, today I had my iud removed. And I had a chance to see it--what a huge beastie! No wonder I'm always so crampy--well, cramps be gone now (and I hope, hope, hope pms disappears too). My doctor gave me a prescription for prenatal vitamins, and said the vits will make my hair and nails 'awesome' even if I'm not trying for a pregnancy right away. And she recommends starting prenatals 3 months prior to getting pregnant anyway.

Um, what else is going on with me. I'm on CD 24, and my temp plunged down today. Not surprisingly, I had a tiny bit of spotting prior to getting the iud out--and I was told I'll have more spotting for the next couple of days due to the removal, so the spotting and my period will probably happen at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to make of these varied cycle lengths, but I'm not worried about that yet.

I would love if some other newbies came on to join me, even though I'm not quite TTC myself!

4. BethG

BethG New Member

Hey desertgirl, if you start posting in Project Baby, we'll be there! We DO need some more newbies since the rest of us seem to be temporarily stuck getting this or that fixed and are on the 12mo+ thread. But all us old-timers will respond too if you post.

So are you temping then? If you have a chart, you can PM leeaman77 with the link and she'll include it in the Master Charters list if you like.

So when are you and hubby going to start?

5. Myste

Myste New Member

Desert, I'm sorta in the same boat. Not *quite* ready to TTC (ok, well, I am more than ready, but circumstances aren't.) but hope to start TTC soon. Possibly late Sept/Oct if all goes well. Been lurking in here probably more than I should, but I can't help it.

Been temping for almost a year, since I stopped HBC. Need to figure out how to upload them, I use the Ovusoft program since I didn't care for FF.

Also, this week and next I have doctor's appointments and getting checked out to make sure my health is all ok. I haven't been to a doctor in well over 10 years for anything except urgent care/sick visits. Don't think I've ever actually had a physical. Next week I go in for my annual pap and want to make sure everything's ok down there as well.

6. Allison_82

Allison_82 New Member

Hey ladies--

I'm getting ready to embark on my first cycle of TTC #2-- so I'll join you over in project baby!

Cheers,
    Allison

7. BethG

BethG New Member

Myste, always good to get checked out beforehand! Also, consider starting a good multi-vitamin, with folic acid, if you haven't already. ToffeeCrunch (Jen) uses Ovusoft too I believe so she should be able to help you.

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Okay, Beth, I'll start posting in Project Baby. Myste, I use Ovusoft too, and cannot for the life of me get the program to upload onto the internet. I 'double' chart with FF, just to have a link everyone can look at--and currently, my internet is broken at home, so I don't tend to keep up with FF as much as Ovusoft.

9. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the idea of this thread is for women that are just starting the TTC journey to be able to share what they are going through. When I first started TTC I joined a thread here for women that had just come off the pill. It was great to be able to share the excitement of those first few months with women that were going through the exact same thing. It doesn't mean that you can't post on other threads, it's just somewhere you can all share these first few exciting months together with other women going through the same thing!

10. jenniwren

jenniwren New Member

Hey Ladies
    Not sure if I should be posting here or somewhere else, but you all seem like a great bunch, so I'll ask! My husband and I already have a gorgeous little girl and we are ready for the next baby. We have been trying for just over a month now and I currently have AF but it seems to be lingering longer than the usual 7 days for some reason. How will I know now when I'm ovulating seeing that it's gone on so long? And how does this whole charting thing work? (I never had to do it before as I fell pregnant so quick the first time!)

11. Bron

Bron New Member

Jenniwren if I were you I'd go and look on www.fertilityfriend.com and read about charting and also determining when you are ovulating. That site explains well what happens with your body during your cycles even if the cycles are irregular. It will also help you chart your cycle so you can know better and you can post your cycle here so people can look at it and help. Good luck and welcome.

12. StLGaL

StLGaL New Member

We aren't actually trying yet, but are hoping to within a year. So I will be lurking around for a while, and hopefully can be posting regularly at that time.

13. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

StLGal, I thought I'd answer the questions you asked in the other thread here...didn't want to clutter up that thread. So yeah, DH and I were married a bit before you, on March 22. Prior to marriage, we had been living together for 4 years and bought our house together 3 years ago, so while I love being married, I can honestly say that not too much changed! But, we finally decided we're ready for a family, and that will be a gigantic change!!!

14. Katni

Katni New Member

Hi Ladies - I am so frustrated with this process already, and its only been three months! In May I went off of BC (I've been on it for about 10 years), and we've been TTC since. I know that it often takes 3 - 6 months to even get the BC out of your system, but I didn't really expect this process to be so intense! Now I'm having cramps, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to get my period. The uncertainty is making me feel so down. =( You all are so positive about it... I am going to have a better attitude from now on!!!

15. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Katni... Oh, hun, we have all been there!! The truth is, it can take even longer to regulate your cycles after BC... or, it can happen within the first month or two! There is no predicting. Even when there are no medical problems, it can take a healthy couple up to a year to get pregnant! I've read various averages anywhere from 4-6 or 6-8 months, but some do get lucky within the first few months. Again, there is no predicting. [​IMG] One thing is for sure, you have nothing to worry about or feel disouraged by at this stage of the game. All our lives we are taught it can happen so easily, in order to keep us from making risky choices! Fear of God and all that... But the dirty little truth they don't tell you is that it's really not that easy, at least not usually. Now you have to train your brain to think about the reality of it all and be patient. It's not easy, but it will spare your sanity. If it does happen fast, it's better to be pleasantly surprised... rather than assume it will and be disappointed if it doesn't. In the meantime, keep enjoying other aspects of your life and your relationship, b/c once it does happen, everything changes. But honestly, we give everyone this little "lecture" and I have yet to meet someone who can stick to it! [​IMG]

Have your cycles been regular since stopping the pill? Have you been keeping close track of your periods and the number of days between them?

16. delphinium

delphinium New Member

I'm just starting this TTC journey which I'm pretty excited about since I just recently got married and my hubby wants kids soon too. However after reading up on it on this and other sites, it's getting me paranoid! I stopped the pill at the beginning of July. Two weeks later, pretty sure I ovulated since I had EWCM which I hadn't had in years since I've been on the pill for 12 years. My period came like clockwork on day 29. This second month though, I haven't had any change in CM and I've been testing for ovulation with kit but no positive and I'm on day 17. I didn't know how hard it is TTC, and I'm wondering if I'll have lots of issues!

Anyways, looking forward to chatting with you all during this whole process!

17. BethG

BethG New Member

Welcome to you both Katni and delphinium!

18. Allison_82

Allison_82 New Member

Hi, Katni and Delphinium!

I guess I've been around for awhile, but I've just started the TTC #2 process. I'd love to chat w/ you all as you work your way through this!

Katni, I hear ya on the coming off of the pill stuff. I had quite a time when I came off in '06, just as you're describing. I never knew when my period was coming...and then it just didn't come for a long time, so I never knew if I was pregnant or just messed up...long story short, everything ended up working out, because now I've got my sweet little Evie.

But, now my cycles are a little bit whack again, and here I am working on #2!

Soo...hope to see you both around lots!

Cheers,
    Allison

19. Katni

Katni New Member

Hey Girls! Thanks for the pep talk - I really needed it. Coming off the pill was really not fun. I just finished month 3, so I'm hoping that my period starts going back to normal. Months 1 and 2 were both 28 day cycles, then Month 3 was 32. Soooo annoying! I'm in day 2 of my period right now, and I'm just impatiently waiting for the chance to try again.

Allison, how long did it take you to become pregnant with Evie?

MyrtleWarbler - I just started to chart with fertility friend, so I'm hoping that helps. I hope that the combination of getting BC out of my system and charting should do the trick!

20. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Katni, charting will help you learn so much. You can share a link to your chart if you want, esp as things move forward. A variation in cycle length of 28-32 days is quite normal. So, try not to be too annoyed because it could be common! On the pill cycles are like clockwork because they aren't "real" at all. It actually sounds like your body is doing a decent job re-adjusting. Charting will help you know when you ovulate, which then makes predicting when AF will arrive much easier. A little less annoying, lol!