Natural Sponge for Contraception

Discussion in 'Contraception' started by NaturalWoman37, Sep 1, 2010.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. NaturalWoman37

NaturalWoman37 New Member

I highly recommend using sea sponges as a barrier contraceptive. They are sold through alternative health stores for menstrual use. I used to use the Today sponge, until its high levels of Nonoxynol-9 irritated and ulcerated me and I started getting UTI's and infections. Pharmatex sponges were great alternatives, but I could only get them when I lived in Ireland.

The beauty of the sea sponges is that they are re-usable, can be used with natural spermicides (including home-made ones), can be used spontaneously and kept in for repeated sessions, are comfortable and unnoticeable when in place, and best of all, ABSORBENT (no wet spots)!

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

You say you use the sponge with homemade spermicide... do you have recipes? What's your experience with this been like?

We're always on the lookout for new contraceptive ideas here.

3. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

I find this really interesting. I have been in search of an alternative barrier method as my diaphragms kept bending out of shape and condoms are becoming irritating after using them so often. I also have a lot of lactic acid spermicides left from my diaphragm use so I'd love something I can use them with. I've never used a sponge, always liked the idea but due to the Today having N-9 I can't use it.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you decide what size was best?

4. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

Hey GreenTea the most popular homemade spermicide I know of is Aloe Vera and Lemon juice.

Aloe Vera and Lemon Juice
    * 1 TBS (20ml) pure Aloe Vera
    * 4 drops lemon juice from a fresh lemon (do not use bottled or processed lemon
    juice)
    Mix well and store in the fridge up to two weeks. Can be freezer stored for up to 6 months.

There are also lactic acid based ones that are sold in Europe that are available through the internet. The easiest to get is Contragel

5. GreenTea

Those spermicides are made for use with a diaphragm or cervical cap. A sponge would need something more liquid, so it could absorb it.

Before I found out about Centchroman, the sponge option she's talking about was going to be my last resort. I was going to try soaking sea sponges in lemon juice or extra virgin olive oil, both of which have historical records of being used as spermicides. My SO was just barely willing to consider it. It seemed way too iffy to him. He was a lot happier with Centchroman.

It would be great, NaturalWoman, if you can tell us more about your experiences using the sponge.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

6. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

The JadePearl site where you can buy them has 3 recipes for spermicides, a lemon juice aloe vera (exactly the same as the one I posted); a lemon honey cornstarch and a homemade Lactic acid one. i am thinking inserting the spermicide using an applicator can be just as effective.

7. iampam

iampam Active Member

I was thinking about using this method... but then DH and I discovered withdrawal which he finds fun and I didn't look into it any further. I tried the Today sponge once, but the N-9 bothered me too much.

8. NaturalWoman37

NaturalWoman37 New Member

I order the largest size from Jade and Pearl. As they are natural (from the sea) they are not uniform in size, but I would start with the large size to try it; they can always be trimmed smaller.

I have also used the sponges with Contragel. I really like them for ease of use, comfort, value, and again, for the fact that they absorb the sperm with no runoff! My BF says he cannot feel the sponge when I use it.

Centchroman does not appeal to me (yet). Though it is "nonhormonal," it disrupts and changes ovulation and the uterine lining, and interacts with estrogen throughout the body. I have concerns about bone density as osteoporosis runs in my family. So far it is only approved in India, with few long term clinical studies. Until it gets FDA approval and has a safe track record, I wouldn't consider taking ormeloxifene.

Withdrawal? Since a close friend in college got pregnant using that "method," I'd never rely on it unless I didn't mind if I got pregnant. Emissions happen before ejaculation, and all it takes is one good swimmer...

9. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

Did you insert the Contragel after inserting the sponge or before?

10. iampam

iampam Active Member

No scientific research has found sperm inside precum unless they had previously ejaculated and not peed since then.

Obviously not a good choice for everyone, it takes a lot of self-control for the guy.

11. kablaamjo

kablaamjo New Member

I have been using the Today Sponge for a while but wanted to switch to something less expensive and more convenient. Is Centchroman available in the U.S.?

12. GreenTea

I've stickied this topic so that it will appear at the top of the page rather than migrating back when other topics receive posts. Since there has been some keen interest shown in this method, I think we need the topic accessible.

Please continue the discussion!

13. GreenTea

Your questions about Centchroman have been answered in the Centchroman subforum. This topic is for discussion on using the Jade and Pearl sponge, or similar sponges sold as tampon alternatives, for contraception.

14. Cait131

Cait131 New Member

Okay first a brief history- I was on the pill for 8 years and have been hormone free for a month so far and already feeling amazing!

I have a question about the homemade spermicide- I've noticed in the recipe it says keep refridgerated for up to two weeks. How important is this step, can it be left at room temp? I live with roommates so it would be much easier that way.

I've decided to use this along with sea sponges and withdrawl. Does everyone usually insert it before or after the sponge?

15. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

Just for members info. I recently found out I just tested positive for pregnancy yesterday and was using the Babycomp along with the natural sea sponge and natural spermicide on red days. I do not know if my contraception failed or if my ovulation day changed for some reason and Babycomp didn't pick it up. I just wanted people to know, I am not saying the natural sponge and spermicide doesn't work, but if you really can't get pregnant you may want something that has been proven effective in studies (such as a diaphragm or cap). Just my two cents.

16. iampam

iampam Active Member

Cjules, you didn't enter BD days on your chart, but your cycle didn't look unusual... my guess is that it was the sponge/spermicide that failed.

17. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

Thanks for the input pam! I have a feeling that's what it was as I find it hard to believe BabyComp would fail. I went back and looked at when BC gave me yellow/red days (we always use protection on those days), it started 8 CD with yellow and my last yellow day was 23 CD. I remember thinking it was an unusually high number of yellows and reds this month, so it has to be the sponge/spermicide that failed.

18. iampam

iampam Active Member

Yeah, if you ovulate late, you'll just keep getting yellows/reds, it's hard to get a screwup that way.

The month I got pregnant was also the latest I have ever ovulated. But we were TTC [​IMG]

19. cjules17

cjules17 New Member

We were hoping to start trying in the next few months...guess someone else had a plan for us to not wait [​IMG]

20. jala

jala New Member

I highly recommend using sea sponges as a barrier contraceptive. They are sold through alternative health stores for menstrual use. I used to use the Today sponge, until its high levels of Nonoxynol-9 irritated and ulcerated me and I started getting UTI's and infections. Pharmatex sponges were great alternatives, but I could only get them when I lived in Ireland.

The beauty of the sea sponges is that they are re-usable, can be used with natural spermicides (including home-made ones), can be used spontaneously and kept in for repeated sessions, are comfortable and unnoticeable when in place, and best of all, ABSORBENT (no wet spots)!