My child is a picky eater

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Constance, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Constance

Constance New Member

Dear friends,

I have 2 daughters (3 and 1 ++ yrs), my kids just love to eat sweet and delicious foods. Sometimes they do not want to eat rice but only eat sweets and junk foods like candies, bread and so forth. Even if I can be persuade them to eat rice, they only want to eat chicken and rice. If I give them vegetables, fish or meat, they will reject it by shaking their head or making awful faces.

When I read this article, I began to think and wonder whether my child is considered skinny. "When kids are active, they tend to expand more than take in what Sonny. That's the reason why they're skinny. It does not mean they're unhealthy. But are my children healthy in terms of their diet?

I'm so worried if my daughters do not have enough nutrients. For now I just rely on some milk to ensure adequate nutrition for them.Listen

Read phoneticallyWhat should I do?

2. Bron

Bron New Member

My 4 and 1 year old are also picky eaters - the only thing you can do is keep offering healthy foods and cut back/ totally eliminate the sweets. Rather offer fruits than sweets. My DH sometimes punishes my 4 year old by taking away sweets for a week and those weeks are always the best weeks in my house - the children behave better and eat better and whine less. I wish no one was ever giving them sweets.

The best thing to do is just take away all unhealthy food and then find healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables, maybe some biscuits like provitas (not sure what you get where you live - something without sugar and with wholegrains) and add some cheese to it and feed them at least 6 times a day in small amounts. Don't worry if they don't eat much. Also limit the milk - give some but not too much so they still have an appetite.

3. ksheepdog

ksheepdog New Member

My youngest son went through a stage of being a very picky eater. He eventually outgrew it. As long as they are not showing signs of being malnourished, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. But, as stated, limit the amount of sweets available.

4. kimmchu

kimmchu New Member

Make sure that your children are taking a good multivitamins so that will not miss out what they need.

5. SandRo

SandRo New Member

My niece is a picky eater. We don't know what to do. Sometimes she doesn't eat at all if she doesn't like the food.

6. Surry

Surry New Member

I would also reduce the sweets, just don't buy them anymore or only for special occasion or on sundays etc. Instead try to make healthy things, like fruit salads (my DS doesn't want to eat an apple/banana as a whole but when it make fruit salads she eats them). You can also give them a sliced banana and sprinkle some dark chocolate on top.

7. Eliza90

Eliza90 Member

Haha i totally understand you. My two year old son had been refusing some food i spent hours preparing in order to make it healthy and full with vitamins and proteins. At the beginning he refused to eat meat. But as a mother i can only advise you that you will have to improvise. Every single day i spend like three hours in the kitchen preparing healthy meals for my son and plus decorating them otherwise he would not eat them. So, improvise, invent like make some funny healthy cakes, or mix the meat with the vegetables and create some interesting figures and he will eat it :)

8. SternAlly

SternAlly New Member

Their tastes in food will change as they grow up, I'm pretty much sure about this :)

9. super dad

super dad New Member

My 3 year old daughter's staple is french fries . That is if we allow it. Will not eat any fruit or vegetables i think for her its a texture thing. As she loves stews as long as i blitz up the vegetables into the sauce so they not recognised.