Mommas of Toddlers & Preschoolers - Part 4

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by gutterflower, Dec 10, 2011.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Starting up a fresh topic

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Anyone know here I can order a beanbag cover? I kinda wanted to find one to go with the Toy Story theme in Noah's room... Maybe even have his name put on it, the name part is not a huge deal. I looked in Etsy and can not seem to find one..... Gahhh.

We are doing his room at some point so I wanted to have that match as well...

Thanks!

3. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Did you check hyenacart? It's kind of like an etsy site. Or try messaging one of the sellers if they have at least the type of item you are looking for to see if they can make you one in your theme.

4. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

No, I have not even heard of it! I will check it now, thanks BG!!!

LOL! part of my post was gone from above.... We are doing his room next week! A few days before Christmas, so he will stay in our room and know NOTHING about he room being redone!

5. TDG

TDG New Member

Hey ladies! I still do not have internet at the new house but my mom lent me her verizon net plug thing until the installer can get here! What have I missed? Hows everyone doing? Everyone ready for xmas? I have barely even started shopping!!! lol

We had one hell of a move. Literally in the middle of the move..2 loads done and 3 more to go. I was still working on packing... and I got the stomach flu! It was sooooooooooooooo bad. Thankfully dfs parents, uncle and brother were helping so they kept things moving while I threw up my guts. Then about 2 hours later df got it. We were DIEING. His family got the rest of our stuff moved and just put our tv and mattress on the living room floor...then Brendyn got it. So they took W and E and the 3 of us spent a horrible first night in the new house. lol. The next day we were OK enough for the other 2 boys to come home. That night E threw up...but his case was mild. The next day Waylon came down with a high fever--like 104. He had a fever for 3 days but no signs of puking or anything else. I had assumed it was the flu but then realized it wasnt. I took him to the Dr n they had no idea what was wrong. We had to cath him like 3 times--couldnt get any pee. Finally I had to catch it overnight and bring him back the next day. No UTI or blood infection. So the Dr gave him a antibiotic to cover anything they might be missing. HORRIBLE stuff. Gave him terrible runny poos and diaper rash. So that night, after seeing the dr that morn and W looking slightly better. He had a seizure! He just went limp! I could not get him to respond or cry or anything! I have never been so scared. So we took him to the ER. Of course by the time we got there he was fine. They couldnt figure out anything wrong so they determined it was probably a fever seizure. So then the next day the fever finally broke(this was like 5-6 days of fever) and then he got a rash. The dr determined it was probably a very severe cash of roseola. So great hes all better...we had stopped the antibiotics, rash was better, fever was gone...then he breaks out in a new rash..this one MUCH worse than the last. Also looked like severe hives but they just kept getting worse. So I take him back to the Dr...apparently he was allergic to the antibiotic but just had a delayed reaction. It wasnt an actual allergic reaction--cant rememebr what the dr called it--but it was pretty much the same thing. So anyways..another 4 days later and hes almost spot free and happy. He literally did not smile for nearly 10 days and I didnt sleep AT ALL. It was just awful. So after everyone being sick and 100 visits to the dr...I finally got to START unpacking and find all of our stuff because I didnt pack most of it so I couldnt find anything. Its been a crazy two weeks! The new house is nice. Im enjoying having a dishwasher again and the boys are loving having a huge playroom.

6. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

TDG! Just to put a lighter spin, s****t seems to be happening all around for as long as I've known you, it seems, you poor thing. Big hug!

Glad poor little kiddo is better now. How terribly awful for your family, with so many of you sick!

So M started daycare and need I add that she developed a high fever in less than a week? Luckily, Tempra worked and she's all better now.

7. Bron

Bron New Member

(((((TDG))))) - shame you really did have an awful time of things. Hope everyone is feeling better now so you can settle in. Like you I have barely done any shopping - was working so decided to put off the shopping so I really must get it done this week.

Ash enjoy the decorating - hope you can find all the things you want to do it.

Poor M - that is what worries me about my kids possibly starting school cause when they get sick so do I and Kirima has been so much healthier than Laurana was simply because she hasn't been to a creche. Glad M is better.

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yep, get used to constant barrage of colds and such, confused. The first 8 months or so of daycare is horrible.

TDG, holy @$#%^@! I hope everyone is feeling better! Soon after my husband and I moved in together, we got food poisoning. MY duplex only had one bathroom. It was horrible. Based on that experience, when we went to buy a house, we wouldn't even look at super cute bungalows that only had one bathroom--the house had to have 2. Poor W, hope he's finally doing better.

Piper had the stomach flu on Thursday night too. Yuck. Then I had a mild version Saturday (only lasted a few hours), and now my husband has a super mild version. So gross. After she'd been feeling fine and no symptoms for 24 hours (not even diarrhea) hubs and P went up and visited some friends for the weekend. Now they are sick. A very persistent virus. I feel horrible that the friends are sick, and my one night alone was shitty (haha, literally) since the flu hit me that night.

Ash, have fun with the room!

9. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

TDG, that is awful. I am glad it's clearing up now, but what a mess! I am sure you are exhausted. (hugs)

Confused, have you gone back to work? I thought you were a SAHM, or worked 1 day a week or something? How is M handling daycare, other than being sick? I always think that I'd like to work part time and get Ty in a preschool when he's 3, but I really like the fact that he never gets sick! I know it's just a matter of time, eventually he'll start kindergarten and be exposed to germs and get sick, but it seems like it's so much harder when they are younger because they can't tell you what's wrong and how they feel.

10. TDG

TDG New Member

haha..yeah it was beyond crazy. I always joke if it werent for my bad luck I wouldnt have any!! lol They really really need to figure out a vaccine for the stomach flu. Id be first in line. This one made you puke so hard your stomach muscles cramped up. DF actually PASSED OUT he puked so hard. It was nuts. And fyi for anyone who doesnt know--hand sanitizer does not kill stomach flu bugs!! I nearly cried when the kids dr told me that because Im religious about my hand sanitizer after touching public stuff(carts, etc). lol.

Other than this mess B hasnt brought home anything from preschool yet I dont think. Idk if this was even from him since I got sick first. There are only 5 kids in his class tho and its at a school vs a daycare so there arent younger germ spreading kids there. lol.

desert--I remember you saying that story before and was actually thinking of you while me and df fought over the bathroom! (the new place has only one too) I kept thinking ughh she was soooo right. We NEED two bathrooms! lol. I actually kept B out of school 3 days after he was better. Ive always thought you are most contagious before you get sick and arent after the symptoms stop but this flu was soo vicious I didnt want to risk sharing with the preschool kids who almost all have baby siblings. DFs whole family who helped us move all caught it too. I felt so bad. Thanks for your help moving, heres a nasty flu! haha

ali--you are soo right. Id take a sick preschool/older kid any day over a sick baby. Them being able to say how they feel makes it a million times easier plus Im way more comfortable giving an older kid meds.

11. labby06

labby06 Active Member

That's terrible, TDG! Those stomach bugs are nasty! It went through my entire family last Christmas. I remember the day after Christmas I started feeling weird, like something came over me. I ate some dinner and felt better and went about my night. We went to bed and just like that I shot up and made a run for it to the bathroom. I came back to bed and DH asked if I was ok, then the next thing I know he's in the bathroom! We have 2 bathrooms, but the other is down in the basement, way too far to go when you're sick! We were both up ALL night alternating between puking and taking care of Olivia because of course it kept her up all night. Somehow she managed to escape it, but pretty much everyone who was at my grandmother's house on Christmas got it. It was awful because on top of the puking we both had fevers, chills, aches, etc. It took a week for both of us to get our appetites back and feel back to normal.

Either our day care is pretty germ free or Olivia has an immune system made of steel. She's only been to the doctor for being sick once, which ended up being strep, but aside from a runny nose on occasion she hasn't really been sick at all and is in day care full time. It's a double edged sword though. While you hate having them sick it's also good for them to get exposure to those things to build up immunities. I hope we get as lucky with #2 as we were with her. We've never had to deal with an ear infection or anything (at least not that I know of)!

We're suffering through the terrible twos right now. This girl is too smart for her own good. We haven't had to use timeouts much, but the past week or two she's had many. Now she's at the point where she's ASKING for them! When I tried to explain to her this morning that timeout is for when she is being bad she proceeded to hit me and try to bite me and then ran to the corner with a big smile on her face! So from now on timeouts will no longer be sitting in the corner, but rather standing with her nose in the corner! Although I'm afraid she will probably enjoy that too, crazy kid!

12. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

It was a pretty freak show of a fever. Temp shot up Friday evening. Mild temp on Saturday. By afternoon, she was A-okay. Don't know if it was even an infection or just her body dealing with over-tiredness!

Ali, I was never (technically speaking) a SAHM. We get a year's mat leave here. It can be extended to 2, without pay. Only, I didn't want to return all of a sudden, full time. Managed to wrangle a 1x/week. In any case, my boss didn't have much money to fund me. I may increase it to 2-3x/week, depending on how everything goes.

She went to daycare on Dec 2, 5, 6. 7. Only 5th was supposed to be a proper daycare day. The rest of the days, she was transitioning. Also, she was only there till lunch. Last Monday, hubby picked her up as I was working. She wanted to be carried on all of those days (no, I was there on the 2nd, the entire time, so she was quite happily playing).

Today was the first full day. I was very worried about her nap, as she's never fallen asleep on her own; well not never, but I and/or hubby would lay in bed, quiet as mice, and she would blabber, blabber, and fall asleep. This happened very rarely. She has her phases when on some days, it'll work like a charm. But most often, she's either rocked or nursed or patted down to sleep.

She understood what quiet time was, her teachers said, and even napped for a half hour. Surprise! Just now, she asked to be nursed, I did, then asked for her dad. He came in to try and rock her to sleep, she climbed out of his lap immediately, asking for nursing. I reminded her that she was just done with it. She lay down, with both of us sitting next to her, she fell asleep. Without any help. Of course, she must have been super-tired. They have outdoor time in her daycare and apparently, she really enjoyed it. And, she only napped for a half hour. Would have gone on for longer I suppose, but someone began to cry and she woke up immediately. Hopes for a bright daycare future.

My ILs will be here for 6 weeks, starting in a month. I'll increase it to 2x/week once they leave. I am planning to start a writing career, perhaps freelance, and if all goes well, I may increase it further, assuming she takes to it well. We'll see. I am no hurry. For now.

But come, pregnancy again, I'd want her in daycare full time. If nausea will be anything like with her.... gah!

13. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Oh labby! You've got a handful with that one! Lol.

Confused, that sounds nice to have such options with work. Glad
    M is better and doing well with daycare so far.

Ty is teething hardcore! He's been sleeping poorly, moaning and cranky during the day, and has been attached to my hip. He even sat next to me on the couch for almost a full episode of curious george. He was obviously tired from only getting a 30 min nap and it gave him a little extra down time to cuddle with me. I didn't mind the cuddling one bit! He's been quite the chatterbox lately too. He's been learning a new word each week approx. last week it was waffle. This week it is no. I was surprised that he said so many other words before no, but he's making up for lost time. It's so cute how he says it too. It's not a typical toddler yelling no kind of thing. He says it so sweetly and innocently...you really just have to smile.

14. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Ty is way ahead of H on the talking then. [​IMG] His vocabulary isn't that big. Seems he is talking a break from learning new ones too. His "no" is funny too. It's "nonono" with a vigorous headshake. Very cute!

I hope he pops those teeth for you quickly, Ali! It can be exhausting, but I agree I wouldn't complain about some cuddles. He doesn't seem to have time for many at my house. [​IMG]

Hasya, yay on a good day at daycare! I wouldn't worry about sleep too much yet. Seems kids can make very different rules between home and daycare, so just wait and see. Even if sleep is an issue at home, it can work wonderfully in daycare. Or vice versa for that matter.

15. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Apparently Piper is a perfect little angel at daycare. Last night, she threw a hissy fit when we picked her up (I grabbed her jacket, which was a big no no since SHE wanted to grab her jacket) and her teacher was SHOCKED. Like, a lot shocked. It was pretty funny.

Confused, I was also very worried about napping and daycare. P started daycare at just over a year old. At home, P had only been nursed to sleep. At my mom's, she'd been given a bottle of breastmilk, and read and rocked to sleep. She did and still does require much effort (from us) to fall asleep, and rarely naps anymore. It took a month or two for her to adjust to daycare naps (she's only in daycare 2x a week, so the adjustment was probably longer than if she'd been full time), but she sleeps, ON HER OWN, when she's at daycare. I wish that would translate to at home.

Hope ty's mouth is feeling better.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I failed at non-spoiling for xmas this year. I think I'll have to save some gifts because she's probably going to be overwhelmed. I think my husband and I are going to have to give more consideration in general in how we are raising her as an only in a consumerist household.

16. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Olivia has tantrums at daycare as well as home, so I don't think she really acts any different at one vs the other.

Today she came home in big girl undies! I had been sending them along in her bag for them to try but they never did. Well all week she has been asking continuously to use the potty and going on it, so they finally gave them a try today and she did great! She only used 2 diapers all day, and one was the one she went there in that she pooped in as soon as we got there. THe other they put on her for nap but the rest of the day she as in undies. She even pooped on the potty there yesterday...TWICE!! Woohoo!

17. Bron

Bron New Member

Labby that is great that Olivia is doing so well with the potty training - hopefully she will keep it up after the baby is born though I am sure if it does go backwards that she will know exactly what to do when she does decide to again. It would be so nice to have her nappy free during the day when the LO arrives. By the way how is the pregnancy treating you - your LO could be here anytime now.

DG even with two we have a hard time not spoiling - there is so much you can get for kids. Adults however have been a nother story and I still have a couple more small things to get but every time I go to the shops I seem to get the kids more - really need to makle a list to prevent this next time.

Yay for the talking! I can't wait til Kirima says some words - so far its just babble though she is understanding more and more.

As for Laurana - she's getting pretty big and doing all this academic stuff - writing and reading and playing lots with numbers, but she can be so bossy these days - some days I want to laugh but other days I am just so tired of the whining and having to say: "Ask nicely" every 5 seconds. Usually when I have had enough I get her into the swimming pool and it gives us all a break - don't know what I will do in winter next year.

How are your older toddlers doing with eating - I feel like now I have two children to battle with - Laurana just wants rubbish and Kirima will only eat fruit. How they survive I do not know - we offer healthy food often and try to stay away from the rubbish but Laurana asks non stop for it and I also get tired of saying No all the time (although I'm pretty good at it lol)

18. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Question for the potty trained, how did you handle them waking up multiple times a night whining that they peed and are wet? She was up twice last night complaining that she was wet and asked to be changed. I'm happy that she recognizes the feeling and doesn't like it, but I don't need her waking up at 2am to tell me! I'm trying to get all of the sleep I can right now because pretty soon it will be non-existent!

Pregnancy is, well, pregnancy, haha! I'm tired, my back is killing me, I'm ready to go! My big fear right now is spending Christmas in the hospital, so I'm praying that doesn't happen. I have an appt today and last week they said they would check me this week to see if anything is happening, so we'll see. She's still moving a ton and giving me lots of jabs to the ribs which does not feel good at all. I'm afraid to find out what she's going to be like on the outside with how active she is inside!

19. Bron

Bron New Member

Hi Bryony I've been wondering how you have been doing and how Rowan is getting on. Glad to hear your relationship is going well and that you will have your SO closer to you soon. Does Rowan go to him on the weekends she sees him cause that is far for her to go too. My sister's ex (they never even married or lived together once she got pregnant) has to travel many hours across international borders to see his daughter and does so twice a month but my sister never takes her child to him unless she happens to be visiting me (as I live near her ex) I agree that he cannot expect all the advantages with none of the inconveniences - if he wants more time with her then he must make it work for all of you (even if it means moving closer) He can't expect you just to drop everything so he can see her more. Unfortunately it seems to be quite common among men that they just want what they want and you must fit in with it. Hope the work calms down some and that you can get some rest over the holiday period.

Labby Laurana never did wake up wet - she just slept through and stayed dry. Can't help there and I may be asking for advice if Kirima needs that later. Yes you could have a little Christmas present in there - at what gestation did Olivia arrive?

20. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Olivia came at 39 weeks, 2 days...which with this one puts us right on Christmas Day!! SOOOOOO not hoping for that this go around. With her I had GD and they would NOT let me go past my due date and were planning to induce on my due date which I did not want, so I was doing a lot of "self induction" tricks (mainly nipple stimulation) to try to get things going on my own. I used my breast pump for about 15 minutes on each side, and started having contractions about 2 hours later. So, I don't know if that is the reason she was born when she was or if she would have come on her own anyway, but I'm definitely not trying that stuff this time since I don't have GD this time around and they will let me go late if it comes to that (which I'm hoping it does even though I am as uncomfortable as I am!)