Mommas of Toddlers and Preschoolers

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Penguin-Goon, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Ohhh, come back when you can! I want to hear some numbers for H/W at her well visit! Glad all was well with the apt!

2. labby06

labby06 Active Member

130th percentile? That's crazy! What a tall girl!

Well we just got back from take 2 of Olivia's 1 year pictures. I thought maybe this place would redeem themselves after giving them a second chance. I thought wrong. WAY wrong. We had a different photographer this time and she took better pictures, although I still wasn't thrilled with the results. Even looking at the sample book they had there the lighting and coloring just looks terrible. Who knows, maybe it's just me, but I have to imagine other people have complained too. Just while we were there 2 people came in complaining of the way they redeemed the coupons they had. Anyway, this time I asked about getting all the pictures on a CD they told me that they can only do a max of 16. I said I got like 25 on my other CD, then they came back and said ok, they would do 25. So out of the 40 pictures taken I narrowed it down to 25. Then they said it would be 24-48 hours for the CD to be ready. WHAT???? It takes like 5 minutes! I thought the hour I had to wait last time was ridiculous! So the girl says that they have quite a backlog because they have been really busy. I told them I lived an hour away (which I do, only went there because of the gift certificate we received) and I really didn't want to drive all the way back there just to pick up the CD. Of course they gave me the mumbo jumbo that there was nothing they could do, blah blah blah. So I made the comment about Sears doing the CD right away which they really had no comment for. So then I go up to the counter and they try to charge me 160.00 AGAIN! I said wait, this was a reshoot because I was unhappy with the first set of pictures we got. The girl said oh, well did you bring your first cd back? Um no, no one told me I had to when I called and complained and scheduled the reshoot. She then tells me well then it's good my cd won't be ready so I can bring that cd back. They need to do it as an exchange. Whatever. Luckily DH works not far from this place so he can stop on his way home from work to pick it up, but it's still annoying. While this place has really nice sets and props, their picture taking abilities pretty much suck. I'm much happier with all the pictures we've had done at Sears, so I think that's what we will stick with from now on.

3. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Desertgirl...Wow! 4 times a day! You are such a trooper!!!Piper is definitely a boobie monster...lol. I will be better at it at my next time around cuz I have learned soo much from watching you, labby n all the other super boob pushing troopers...lol

Labby- Hope the pics are knock out!

Alluring Ash- One thing we docs like to do ( unfortunately) is slap labels on babies... u hear a bad cough- asthma, a little diarreah, IBS. I am very against it and try to avoid that in my practice. I would advise you to stay attentive but give N some time, every baby beats to his own drummer and there is no SET schedule.

4. Bron

Bron New Member

Labby glad the weaning is going well and hope your pictures come out much better this time - sounds like that place needs to shut though!

DG your post made me smile - Laurana was like that - seemed to get it and then not and then it was 6 times feeding in one night and then only once. It does get better in the end or you reach a breaking point and she just must wean!

Took Laurana to a Christmas party for a support group I attend occassionally. There was a nice big pool and we both swam - I was so tired afterwards as she wanted me to pull her around on my back (and I am quite heavy with the baby now) I put armbands on her because the pool was deep with no shallow end and she swam really well and pretty far - and then raced around wildly afterwards - where does she get her energy from? Anyway, she did at least fall asleep almost immediately tonight. She alsohad a great time playing with much older children and is showing a little independence now too - she will go off on her own for a short time but still prefers Mom with her.

5. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I agree about that place closing, Bron! They actually operated under another name in our local mall and went out of business, and then one of the workers invested in them and opened under a new name in a new location (that is now an hour away from us). They bought out all the props and sets from the old place so it's basically the old place with a new name. With the experience I've had there, I can't imagine this place will do much better!

In other news, Olivia is finally walking! It's about freaking time, lol! She's been cruising for soooo long and would walk with you just holding on to your pants or a finger, but would never take more than 2 or 3 steps on her own without dropping to her knees and crawling the rest of the way. She's now letting go and will walk across a room on her own. FINALLY! [​IMG]

6. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi ladies! Was out of town for work all last week, a super busy meeting. Just trying to catch up... Here, at home, at work! Daycare was closed, of all weeks!! My husband is a rockstar father! He took time off work (he needed to use up anyway) and watched her allll week! I've never even had her alone that much. I <3 that guy!

Yayyy for Olivia! It just gets more fun now!! Allie is into everything!!

7. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Haha, it didn't take walking for Olivia to be into everything! She's into everything so as it is! She can now climb up onto the couch and up over the back of it! Our couch is in the middle of the living room (not against the wall) so this is no good! You have to watch her like a hawk! I think she's going to be a mountain climber one day with the way she climbs EVERYTHING!

8. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Hey MW!! I was beggining to wonder where you went!! Aww, that's great that your DH was so good watching Allie. It always melts my heart when my DH tells me how he spent the day making Sofie breakfast, playing with her, and giving her a bath on the days I'm at work and he's home. Truly "daddy and daughter bonding time"!

Yay Olivia on the walking!

Hope everyone is well! Ambrosia, great to hear from you!

Hi to all my other peeps: Ash, DG, TDG, Bron, Gutter, Nika.

9. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Hi everyone!

MW, hope the trip went well! Did you end up weaning during the trip?

Labby, congrats on the walking! Yeah, I can't say walking added to the chaos, Piper got into just as much stuff when she was crawling. Now though, she's figuring out how to open doors...luckily the locks on the doors outside are still out of her reach! What a disaster for the photos! We're going this weekend (Sears) so I hope we have a better experience!!

Bron, sounds like a fun party!

Ash, TDG, how are the sick boys doing?

OMG, I swear I think P is getting sick again. She was cleared up for 5 days after her last meds, and yesterday she had green snot again. Her cough never went away. We'll see, I'm not hesitating to take her in this time and I swear, something else is going on--if they blame it on preschool again, I'm going to throw a fit!

Ash, numbers for you: P measured 35" tall, and her chart said that was 130th percentile--seems to high to me, she's tall, but 35" isn't THAT tall. She weighed 26lbs, 8oz, 75th percentile. She has all of her teeth except the 2nd molars.

She's got a pediatric cardiologist appointment for Dec 7th to check out the heart gallop. I'm sure everything is fine, but no matter what the issue, just the term "pediatric cardiologist" makes me nervous for P!

10. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

Lol DG, kaydee will be 3 years old in just over a month (OMG where did the time go!!) and she's 33" tall... Lol!!! Granted she's small but still I'd say pipers pretty tall hehe

11. Alluring-Ash

WOW!!! 35"!!! She IS tall! Noah is still just 33" and around 26ish lbs! Way to go!

I am sure the apt will be fine too, it is only natural for us to worry. I was the same with N's circ and it was just some penis skin being snipped [​IMG] ( I shouldn't joke like that, may have some activists after me! [​IMG] ) Good luck with the apt, we will all be here for you as the time gets closer.

Nika- LOL! Kaydee is STILL so small [​IMG]

I would do more personals but I would have to go back a page and I am to sick and tired to do that so sorry to those I am not personally addressing tonight.

Noah had his Early intervention screening today and although she agrees he is "pushing" delays in speech, he has the knowledge of a 3 year old in almost ALL other skills and she was shocked at how well behaved he was ( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ) Talk about flattery! Although I still do not like hearing he is delayed in anything... She did say it might be good to get his hearing checked to make sure he has no fluid in his ears that could be preventing him from hearing but it is kind of a catch 22 because he listens and does SOOO well with what we tell him to do. So a pediatric ENT ( Ear, Nose, Throat ) I honestly do not think he has anything wrong with his hearing or ears since that is one thing I ALWAYS ask about since I was a child growing up with constant ear infections I would HATE for him to deal with them. She said we could set up another consult if he isn't doing better by age 2 but since he is making so many noises and trying to talk they are just different words ( of course she pulls out a ball and he says " BALL " lol, makes me think of BOLT )

12. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Ash- Seems like Noah is doing well in everything else...maybe a ENT visit wouldnt be so bad just to rule out the ear stuff....

Nessa- hey girl!

Question... Ladies I was thinking of buying Isaiah a walker. What do you guys think? A lot of mixed reviews but i wanna hear from you mamas...

13. Alluring-Ash

Ambrosia- Thanks, I will still take him ( well after I get a referral from his dr ) just to be sure because one thing he DOES do is constantly put his fingers in his ears... so that is the one thing that makes me think it could be. We'll see in time.

As for the walkers, some moms swear by them. Me? Not so much, I know we where told not to use one by our dr because the injury rate ( from things falling on them and pulling things down ) I was on the other hand more worried for walking delays since they are "so convenient" sometimes they are over used and the baby just doesn't get enough "down time" to learn on their own, plus their little legs are constantly at angles so I couldn't see any real benefit in it. On the other hand, we did use a jumper ( one for breaks here and there with out him being able to put him self in danger and 2 it was enjoyable for him while helping build some strength in his legs. I think we as mothers all just have to go with what we think suits our kids best [​IMG] ( I don't judge anyone for the difference in opinions).

ETA: Noah was walking at 10.5 Mos!

14. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Ambrosia, we never used a walker, but we did have a push toy that was great! Piper loved it and it really helped her walk-I think she used it from about 8.5 months and was walking on her own at 10 months. It plays music, she still likes ramming it into stuff and playing the different songs. My parents bought her a jumper which was also great, but Piper was so tall she outgrew it way before it got much use.

Ash, Noah sounds like he's doing great! Definitely get his ears checked (just to make sure, like us with the heart thing!), but I'm sure Noah will catch up in speech in no time at all!

15. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Exactly this!!! I completey agree, and DG was kind enough to say exactly what I was going to say about walkers! Lol!! I like the push toy much better. We did actually get a walker as a gift, and Sofie used it like twice, and then lost interest. The push toy has really gotten us further, and she still plays with it even though she has been walking for a couple of months already.

I just bathed Sofie and got drenched in the process. Baths have now become, Not just get baby wet, but mommy wet too!! LOL!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

16. Bron

Bron New Member

DG wow Piper is pretty tall! Sounds like she is doing well.

Ash maybe getting the hearing checked is a good thing to do though from what you say there probably isn't a problem - its always best to start with ears if you are worried though. Sounds like he did really well at the test though.

Ambriosa we never used a walker - I didn't have a push toy either though she used one at our church's playroom and liked it. I found she just held onto the furniture and was walking by 10.5 months (first steps at 8.5 months) regardless - I must say a push toy may have saved me some back ache as she was tiny for me to be helping her quite a bit.

Laurana got bitten at school yesterday quite badly - apparently its just one child biting all the time - she is not supposed to be in Laurana's class but in the baby class she bites all the babies and at least the older children have some chance of defending themselves. Still I was quite upset because until they find some discipline that works it will keep happening - apparently she's even bitten the 5 year olds when she is put in there. (she's only 20 months old herself)

Am going to her school for a Christmas play next Monday and we need to take a present for them - sent DH to buy one and he bought something huge (it is a doctors set as she loves playing doctor doctor) - wish he would take it in then, but oh well. As long as she is happy.

17. labby06

labby06 Active Member

We didn't use a walker either and went the push toy and jumper route. She started pushing the toy around 8 months and cruising the furniture as well. She took a few steps on her own around 10 months, but then regressed and wouldn't let go again. She's just now gaining the confidence to let go and walk on her own. They did put her in a walker at her day care though on occasion (although probably more than I was aware of).

Bron - there's a little girl at Olivia's day care that bites too. When I picked her up one day they said that the little girl bit Olivia on the shoulder. She had little red marks where her teeth were. A few days later the same little girl threw a toy at Olivia and hit her in the head. This little girl is also around the 20 month age or so. Our day care is really small so they don't really have it set up by "classes" except for when the older kids are having their preschool class. Luckily we haven't had any problems outside of those two instances, but like you, I'm waiting for the next occurrence because she doesn't seem to respond well to discipline, at least from what I've witnessed while being there. I really hope Olivia doesn't start doing that kind of stuff. That is one of the reasons I really didn't want to go the day care route since statistically they are more likely to have behavior problems. How can they not when they witness behavior like that? If only staying home paid what working does!

18. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

So is this what Im missing out on ay daycare? Aye!! Im very grateful for my mother in law for being able to take care of Sofie while DH and I are at work.

I have to work Thanksgiving Day, and we are having a potluck that day, so we are all bringing a Thanksgiving item. I'm brining pumpkin pie. Mmmmm. Unfortunately, I have to endure WalMart this morning, and am not looking forwards to that!!

Check in later!

19. TDG

TDG New Member

Ash--It sure never hurts to have his ears checked, better safe than sorry.

Ambrosia--I also never used a walker. We had a push toy, and a jumper. Brendyn walked unaided around 10.5 months and Evan did around 9. I think a stationary toy like a jumper is better because typically you want to use those when you arent giving them 100% attention and if they cant move and get into anything they are going to be safer.

Bron--That sucks Laurana got bit! I cant imagine how a daycare can really handle that kind of behavior unless the parents are too. Brendyn was biteing Evan a while back and we treated that behavior very seriously with a spanking and long time out and it only lasted a few days. He rarely needs more than a brief time out to calm down and redirect his behavior but this was a serious thing..he even broke skin a few times! Luckily Evan never learned to do it too.

Potty training is about the same. He will go if I make him..he wont tell me. [​IMG] When he was sick last week he was doing awesome because the diarrea irritated his butt so he wanted to use the big potty.

20. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Ugh, Bron, Piper got bite within the first couple weeks of daycare. I hope Laurana is okay! Bites are so nasty! My husband got pretty upset at the situation (talk about daddy bear!!). I know parents can't really control their kids at daycare, but, my best friend thinks it's so funny when her kid (17 months old) bites her in fun...he has gotten written up for biting kids at his daycare a few times now! Real funny, right?

Well, TDG, I guess going when you ask is better than nothing (if you have to look in the bright side, lol)!