Mommas of Toddlers and Preschoolers - Part 3

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by gutterflower, May 20, 2011.

  1. gutterflower

    gutterflower Active Member

    Hey ladies!

    The other one was getting quite long, just thought we could start fresh again [​IMG]

  2. MyrtleWarbler

    MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

    DG!... Oh my goodness. You sound just like me. I handle most of the bills, and I used to be more organized. But we get late notices all the time. Nothing shut off yet, LOL! But some threats. There's no excuse for it! I used to have this elaborate table of payments down the side, months across the top, and I would check things off (ironically, when DH and I first met, we discovered we both used a similar system, lol!). When money was tighter, it was more necessary. Now money is less tight. I don't blow much money shopping, we pretty much have the same expenses month to month and we are fine to cover it. So, this bred laziness on my part! Ditto my checkbook. [​IMG] Our neighbors/friends, who have no reason to miss bill payments, dropped the ball on their water bill (so easy to lose track of, because it is only quarterly!). Their water was shut off, and they had to haul their two toddlers over here for baths one night, LOL! We still laugh about that. Happens (or nearly happens) to the best of us!

    Labby... I hope last night went well, too, and that she is learning some new good habits! Fill us in.

  3. Myste

    Myste New Member

    I'm so disorganized, and I've been lucky sometimes if I remember to get the mail weekly! We actually had our water shut off the other day, for the same reason! I completely missed the notices mixed in with a bunch of junk mail. I had to drag Wes and Alex out to the city hall to pay and have it turned back on - luckily they had it back on within a couple hours and I didn't have to deal without overnight.

    After having the power company come to the house a couple times saying "pay me now or it gets shut off" when DH was managing the bills, I took over - and haven't done any better! I'm trying to get more organized about it now, especially with all the medical bills from my pregnancy and the birth coming in.

  4. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    Yay, MW and Myste for being disorganized too! I found the pink notice AND a voicemail yesterday saying the power company needed their money....ah well, lesson learned!

    I'm off for the next 9 days and I'm not going anywhere. I've never stayed home this long! P and I should have fun but I've got such a travel bug! I'm antsy!!!

  5. Bron

    Bron New Member

    I am also very disorganised - most of the yearly payments only get done when I am a few months late and had multiple reminders but then there are fewer consequences for those ones unless you really leave them too long. Sigh, I suppose I should become more organised.

    DG enjoy the time off.

    In August I must fly the girls to my parents town and I have to do it alone. I am getting more scared the closer it gets to the time - its for my brothers wedding and me and the girls are going early and then DH will follow at the last minute so it should be a nice holiday but having a baby and Laurana on the plane with just me is feeling very daunting as Laurana does not like to sit still at all and Kirima is likely to yell cause her ears will get sore.

  6. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    I dread P ever getting on a plane. I don't believe it will be a fun time, at all. Hopefully, Bron, it won't be too bad!

  7. Penguin-Goon

    Penguin-Goon New Member

    im the most unorganized poor money management person ever and i handle all our bills lol. i screw up ALL the time, its a wonder we have any utilities... *hangs head in shame*

  8. Bron

    Bron New Member

    Took Laurana to the Lion Park today - she loved it as she got to stroke a few cubs and feed the giraffe. She got a bit distracted while driving to see the adult animals, but we did manage to show her and she was well behaved. I enjoyed it to as you get very close to the animals - it was feeding time so we saw them at their best too. I have a feeling even the adults are tamer than most lions though still very wild, but very used to cars.

    The bottle issue is going better and she doesn't bother too much if we give her a sippy cup unless we try at night so slowly winning that battle.

  9. TDG

    TDG New Member

    lol I quess Im the only one who pays the bills on time around here. I write all the bills down on a calender, then just check it twice a month and pay the bills for those 2 weeks..cross them off so I know it was done. Nothings ever more than a few days late.

    bron--hopefully the flight goes ok. Ive only flown once with B when he was 3-4 months went super smooth. The lion park sounds awesome.

    B spent the night with gma and E spent the night with his aunt last the next few days will probably really suck. I HATE getting the kids back on track..they become the biggest brats after being with other people, but they both have fun and we enjoyed the break.

  10. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    TDG - I'm with you! I couldn't stand being late on bills! I hate owing anyone money, so I'm really anal about paying things on time. Plus, most of the bigger stuff gets paid automatically anyway so I don't really have to worry about it. The only bill I occasionally forget about is our trash bill, so some months I end up just paying for 2 months at once and there's never been an issue.

    Well we're back from our trip. Overall it wasn't too bad. She was an ANGEL on the way out there. I was completely amazed! She slept for the first 2 hours or so and then just watched her movies and was as content as could be until we got there. The nights were, um, interesting. She had me freaked out a few times. They still had the crib set up for her, but since she's not used to being in a crib we took the front rail off so she could get in and out. Problem was, then there was NO rail, making it super easy for her to fall out. I slept on an air mattress right below the crib. At one point I was woken up by her falling on top of me, lol! Then she laid on the air mattress with me for a while. I woke up at one point and she was gone! She somehow managed to roll off of the air mattress (at least I'm guessing) and somehow got UNDER the crib and was sound asleep there! Then of course she climbed back up on to the mattress with me. Then was back up in the crib. Then back with me. The kid moves around WAY too much at night, so I hardly got any sleep at all. I think leaving her alone in that room though would have been disastrous since she wasn't used to it. She probably would have screamed every time she woke up.

    Coming home wasn't quite as smooth at the ride out there. She made it the first 3 1/2 hours just fine with watching her movies. Then she started really getting tired but was fighting it and was starting to get really cranky. I then remembered I had her vacuum sound on my phone, so I cranked that up and she fell asleep right away (yes, we still use the vacuum cd, lol!) She slept until we got home. So overall, on a 5 hour ride, she was maybe miserable for about 15-20 minutes of it. I'll take it compared to what we are used to! I was very proud of her!

    We did an early bath and bed tonight because we are all just exhausted. She's been fighting it and crying, but hasn't gotten out of her bed yet which is good. She's finally starting to calm down and will hopefully be asleep soon (and so will I!)

    I feel so bad for DH. This was the last trip he will ever have back "home". I could tell he was bothered as we were pulling out this morning. I reached over and rubbed his back and asked if he was ok and then the tears started. The only time I've ever seen him cry was at his grandmother's funeral, so it kind of got to me too. I just feel so bad because there's something about going "home" where you grew up, and now he won't have anywhere to call that. It's just sad.

    And...she's asleep! And now it's time for me to go to bed too (and it's only a little after 7:00!)

  11. Alluring-Ash

    Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

    Aww, How sad for you DH. Glad Olivia did well for the most part!

    I have to have organization to my bills and important papers or I go crazy!! Just has to be! Have a notebook with a list, due date and amt to be paid and calendar that stay together.

  12. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    She did very well considering her schedule was pretty much non-existent. She was up until almost 10 both Friday and Saturday, didn't nap well on Saturday and was all out of sorts with when we ate and stuff. She adjusted very well though and aside from a few small tantrums Sunday morning she was very happy.

    And she seemed to fall right back in line when we got home! I was so worried about what the night was going to bring us since she had been used to sleeping with me in the room for the past 2 nights. She gave some fuss going down but after about 15 minutes she calmed down and fell asleep and slept ALL night! She didn't get up at all! I was so thankful. I, on the other hand, didn't get to sleep early like I had hoped. I got sucked in to this movie DH was watching and then of course he was feeling all frisky, lol. I wasn't really in the mood, but I've been giving him the "I feel nauseous" excuse for too long so I caved. I'm so exhausted this morning though after a weekend of no sleep. I'm hoping I can squeeze in a nap tonight!

  13. Penguin-Goon

    Penguin-Goon New Member

    i have issues sticking to my grocery budget for the week (which isnt really just groceries, its diapers, wipes, gas for the car, soaps and shampoos, and EVERYTHING we could possibly need for a week crammed into one grocery budget) and i think thats why i have problems. if i dont stick to the budget to the penny, we dont have quite enough for all the bills on time, its frustrating lol. but charles is working his way up through the company and i know this is temporary and we will be ok! blew through all our savings when he decided to be unemployed for a couple of weeks just to realize how good he had it and went back to his same job lol... *sigh*

    labby, glad to hear olivia is falling right back into place!!! she probably associates you sleeping in the room with her with being away from home, so wasnt expecting you to keep it up once she was back in her own room [​IMG]

  14. Bron

    Bron New Member

    Labby glad Olivia did well on your trip and hope you can get some rest soon.

    Laurana has been sleeping all night in her bed and not climbing into ours for a couple nights in a row so we are both relieved and hope it carries on. We do often still have to get up and check that all is ok as she sometimes yells in her sleep, but if she wakes she is getting herself back to sleep.

    Was getting a bit frustrated with her later this afternoon though as she just couldn't keep still and kept leaping on my back if I was sitting down - even now she is playing a game on the computer and jumping up and down behind the keyboard - not sure where all this energy comes from.

    Lol Ash, I wish I was like that with the organisation - I tend to just do the going crazy thing - I tend to get it done late but not too late and end up stressing for a while before it is actually paid. As for important papers - they always seem to be lost when I need them and turn up when I don't need them anymore.
    And that is when I think they are in a safe place.

  15. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    How is everyone? It has gotten quiet in here, lol!

    Not much to report here. Olivia is still sleeping awesome sine we laid the smackdown on her getting out of bed so that has been really nice. I just drank the wonderfully delicious orange drink for my glucose test and am now trying to kill the hour that I have to sit times! Fingers crossed for good results although I'm not too optimistic.

  16. Penguin-Goon

    Penguin-Goon New Member

    Labby, ewww those always made me a bit nauseous lol! Good luck, I'm hoping for good results for you [​IMG]

  17. Bron

    Bron New Member

    Labby hope the test went well - why are you having it so early in the pregnancy? Glad the sleeping is going well - Laurana seems to be following Olivia and has slept all night in her bed for almost a week now without bothering us once - DH is very relieved.

    It is freezing here and I need to go and get some warmer clothes on Laurana - she refuses to wear shoes and her feet are like ice bricks - she keeps putting them on me. Why is it so hard to dress small children properly - she just takes off what I put on her - maybe her metabolism is high or she doesn't feel the cold so much. I've had to wrap Kirima up in a lot of clothes. I imagine you guys are getting nice warm weather now?

  18. TDG

    TDG New Member

    Labby--Good luck on the test!! Blah..I despise that crap!
    Thats great cracking down helped her sleeping.

    Bron--I know I was a "hot blooded" child. I was never cold. I still hate wearing socks unless theres 2 feet of snow on the ground. haha. Yeah its getting hot here now.

    Nothin new here. B has been mouthy. Still breaking him from a night at gmas. E has been complaining of his feet hurting at night. Anyone heard of that? Im thinkin maybe growing pains but IDK. Its strange.

  19. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    With Olivia they tested me early because of my family history. I failed it right away by like 3 points and then had to do the 3 hour (at the height of my nausea!) and failed 2 of the 3 hours, all within 5 points. So they diagnosed me with GD very early on with her. I lost weight through the entire pregnancy and by the end I don't even think I had it anymore, as I was finding I had to eat more sugary stuff to counteract the insulin I was taking, but the doctors had no explanation for it. I figured they would be testing me again right away which they did. I weigh about 30 pounds less now though than when I first got pregnant with Olivia, so I'm hoping that is enough to keep it at bay at least for a little while so I don't have to spend the entire pregnancy pricking my fingers and not eating things I'm craving!

    It is getting warmer here too and we've had some crazy weather lately. The storms that have gone through have been incredible. The other night we had a lightning strike right across the street from our house which took down our neighbor's tree and fried our cable modem so we had no internet until yesterday when they finally fixed it.

    Olivia also hates clothes, and now especially things with sleeves. It warmed up for a few days so she was wearing short sleeved shirts, and then cooled off again so we were back to long sleeved which she absolutely hated. She was constantly pulling at them trying to take the shirt off. Getting her dressed in the morning is ridiculous. She would so much rather run around naked, lol. I guess that's partially my fault since I do let her do it every now and then so she's probably come to expect it!

  20. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    Late breaking news...I passed the first GD test! WOOHOO!!!! Now let's hope it stays that way!

    Oh, and the little bean is looking less bean like and more human like! Moving around tons with little arm and leg stubs. All looks great so far! So cute!


Share This Page