Mommas of Toddlers and Preschoolers - Part 2

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by gutterflower, Nov 30, 2010.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Hey Ladies, thought I'd start a fresh topic [​IMG]

2. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

Lol Mel, julies so big, these pull ups won't fit her by the time she's ready to wear them!! There's only a few left in the pack, I'm not buying any more though. Kaydee doesn't even need to be reminded to go anymore, just gets on the big toilet all by herself and yells for me when she's done! Hasn't had a pee accident for well over a week and a half now and no poo accidents now for a week either [​IMG] she even told me today while we were shopping she had to pee and went in the bathroom at the store! She's doing so well I'm so proud of her!!

Someone asked about julies walking, I think it was ash but I'm on my phone and too lazy to go back a page and check lol!! She's still trying to figure it out lol but she's getting there. Will stand on her own now in the middle of the room

3. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

(phone sent for me before I was done with my post lol)

Anyways she will stand in the middle of the room now for a minute or two before she gently sits down to crawl lol. And if me and Charles sit close to eachother on the floor she will take a step or two in between us!! She's on the right track [​IMG] I am just hoping she will be walking a little b Christmas [​IMG]

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Goon, fabulous that Kaydee is PTed! And great news about Julie taking steps, she'll be walking by xmas for sure!

TDG, finally followed your lead--gave P a bottle of warm water last night before bed instead of milk. Didn't even go the gradual route of watering the milk down, went straight to water. She kept pulling it out and looking at it, and finally I told her, yep just water, and she looked at me and sucked it down, rolled over and cuddled with me, and fell asleep. Woohoo! I'm not worried about taking the bottle away yet, but now I don't have to worry about cavities at night, whew!! Oh, and probably coincidentally, P actually slept thru the entire night, we even had to wake her up this morning for school! (and yes, I know she's not really in school or even preschool yet, but the place is called Mini-School, so school is what we call it (and really it's Mini-Skool, but I refuse to acknowledge the cutesy mis-spelling))

Now onto weaning...we are so close (most days at least). She still needs a little boob at night before bed, and in the mornings. Some days, she is just boob crazy though! She is definitely going to be weaned by spring.

Hi Gutter--sounds like your kids are doing great! I've missed a few of P's doctor appointments now, especially as she's going so frequently. It's the plight of working parents, we've got to split the duties.

Hi everyone--hope you're all doing well!!!!

oh, and ? for potty trained/training moms--what do you wipe their butts with after a poo? Toilet paper or diaper wipes? I've tried tp with P after a poo, and I don't really like it. Should I keep some wet wipes near the toilet? Though, haha, Piper sits on the toilet and loves to drop tp between her legs (presumably just like momma??).

5. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

Lol dg. I just use TP, it's funny if they poop in the potty it doesn't generally plaster to their butts like it does if they go into a diaper which pushes it back onto their butt, does that make sense? Lol! In all reality though (Tmi warning) it's easy with kaydee as she has kinda like formed poos, so I wipe everytime but the TP is generally still pretty clean looking after anyways. I guess if the pop wasn't like that. Wipes would work better.

Well I'm pleased to say that kaydee is officially night time trained now too. Dry pull ups for 2 weeks now and slept in

6. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

Panties last night and stayed dry. No more pull ups! And no accidents for well over a week either. Woo!

Bry, I would be so mad if daycare did that!! I had something similar happen to me when I was working and kaydee was in daycare, but it wasn't a huge deal for me seeing as daycare was 5 min from my work and 10 min from my house, and I was allowed to bring kaydee to work if I had to.

(sorry about 2 posts, kaudee hit send before I was done lol)

7. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Bry - That does stink that you had to waste half a day for nothing really! That's one thing I do like about going to a smaller, less conventional day care. They will do pretty much whatever I ask. I've been sending some ibuprofen along with her since this last tooth has been wreaking havoc on her. They will gladly administer it, but will always call before they do so I'm aware. I've even taken her with a slight fever already that we attributed to teeth since she had no other symptoms and they didn't have a problem with it. Surprisingly, aside from one little cold she hasn't been sick at all since starting there. Hopefully I didn't just jinx us! [​IMG]

8. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

I know what you mean bry, I'm grateful that kaydee can actually get into the bathroom, take off her pants and get up on the toilet to go, and sometimes even wipes herself (hasn't learned self control with the TP yet though lol) and then usually yells for my help to wipe if she hasn't yet and to get her underwear and pants back on (she hasn't quite mastered the undies, she can get the pants on). She uses the regular toilet all the time now, but she actually has a little potty in her bedroom still and has a couple of times actually gotten up in the night and used it and then yelled for me to clean it and goes back to bed. It's crazy. I expected this whole thing to be much more difficult but I guess she really was ready and it was me that wasn't ready for a long time lol.

9. TDG

TDG New Member

desert--Isnt that funny when we think its going to be a big transition and they are like oh no big deal! lol. Im glad she handled the bottle of water well. I actually never thought of the what to wipe with issue at first because I didnt think hed be pooing so soon and obviously I dont need to wipe pee(yay for boys! lol). Well...when he had that terrible diarrea it was too messy for just tp...I realized I had a box of those always brand female freshening wipes(they are flushable!)..so I started useing those for poos and it worked wonders. I bought the generic refills for my lil box and they work great too. I highly recommend for poos...works soooo much better than tp and keeps you from throwin stinky wipes in the trash.

bry--that sucks you had to miss work for that. That seems silly they cant just give some meds if she acts a lil under the weather.

I think Brendyn could go by himself(except for poo wipeing) but he hates the lil pee gaurd on the lil potty seat thats snapped onto the big potty and he hasnt figured out aim so if he isnt sitting just right he sprays everywhere! lol. He even held it in for 5 hours today while we were running errands! SO AWESOME!

10. Bron

Bron New Member

Laurana wet the bed for the first time ever two nights ago but that's cause I gave her two bottles to drink before bed and also cause I think it was the start of chicken pox - she was more distraught about the wet bed than I was - and since she had never wet it I had taken the special sheet off the bed - its back on now though... sigh.

Poor child is covered in chicken pox blisters and it could be worse by tomorrow. Bought some caladryl as it also has antihistamine in it and have been smearing it everywhere and she is on calpol too just in case. We go on holiday on Monday so hoping it will be clearing up somewhat by then - she's still playing a lot and jumping around with no fever, but not feeling too great.

As for me I am getting absolutely no sleep what with her being sick, the rib pain, baby bouncing on my bladder, the dog forcing her way inside cause of the storms (she jumped on my bed and tried to sleep in my face last night)and general back and shoulder pain from the pregnancy. Better try for some sleep now as I am working this weekend too.

11. TDG

TDG New Member

bron--aww poor thing! I hope she gets better quick. Im sure the bedwetting is just from her being sick. I still have scars from my chickenpox I got when I was 2! Dont let her scratch too much! I hope you get SOME rest. You need to take care of yourself too.

12. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Bry, that really stinks about the daycare. I would be mad too. Especially since it doesnt sound like the daycare is right down the street from you!!

Nika, thats great about Kaydees potty training. Hope she keeps it up!!

Bron, Im so sorry to hear that Laurana has chickenpox. Better now though, than when she is older. And hopefully she doesnt contract it again, like some other oddballs!! Lol!! Like Nika!!! J/k girl, love ya!! Hehe. I hope she feels better soon!!

Whatever Sofie had, is now gone, but now I have it. Its awful!! I thought it was subsiding, but it attacked me again this morning. All i gotta say is: Pepto and Gatorade, Pepto and Gatorade!! And bland food. Egh!! Vigilant handwashing by me and DH. Handwashing was always done before, but we are stepping it up a notch now that I have, whatever I have.

Also, Sofie seems to have reached that stage where she will walk uo to you with her arms up in the air, wanting you to pick her up. We had a guest staying with us the last couple of days, and she normally is shy around strangers, but she did that to him frequently. Pardon me for sounding probably incredibly stupid, but is it bad to constantly give in and pick her up? Like I know when they are infants, they say you cant spoil them, so pick them up everytime they cry, which I did, but is it different now that she is a toddler?

13. Bron

Bron New Member

I think my next baby (Kirima) will be getting a chicken pox vaccine thanks to Laurana - she has it everywhere - in her hair and nose and even vagina which must be sore, down her legs and arms and we are only on day 2 - how long does it keep getting worse for? Shame, she is really not well. I have her covered in lotion and on Calpol too and we are trying to take things easy with her though she'd rather play more.

Nessa hope you feel better soon. I am betting tha some germs just will be picked up no matter how hygienic you are.

Bry Laurana is the same - she hates me going near her when she is pooing and it is very hard to get in and check her - she tries herself too - she is often constipated though which means there actually is seldom a mess, but I still prefer to help her anyway.

14. TDG

TDG New Member

Nessa---Im with Bry. Unless its sooooo often that you cant get anything done because she thinks she need to be held all day, I think its fine to give in. I dont think its enough to make them "spoiled" and eventually they wont want to be held/snuggled so enjoy it while it lasts! I often remind df of the same thing becuase he doesnt like when the kids get in our bed in the middle of night, but I LOVE snuggleing them and waking up to them and I know eventually they will be way too "cool" to snuggle with mommy so I want to enjoy it!

Bron--I really have no idea how long it usually lasts, I dont remember having it altho Im told it was awful(everywhere just like you describe). When I first had Brendyn I thought it was a little silly they vaccinate against it because its not really dangerous, just very unpleasant, and everyone I know my age or older got it and was just fine after...but now that Ive been a mom awhile Im Very glad I had them vaccinated because its soooooo awful to have sick kids so any chance to avoid them getting sick is worth it in my book! lol.

15. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Bron, hope L is feeling better today! How awful, poor thing.

Bry, ugh, annoying about preschool!

TDG, omg, hope you're feeling better!!

As for us, eventful weekend. Piper seems to be feeling great, but her super strong antibiotics have KILLED her stomach flora, which means--her first ever diarrhea. All weekend, and this morning. It doesn't even smell, AT ALL, which is really weird. But it sure is messy. In her cloth diapers, the moisture wicked out the sides, which seems nasty, right? Until we tried disposables, and we had blow outs up the back, up the front, and literally dripping down her legs. And we're idiots, so we tried disposables all weekend, each time with the same result. Disgusting. But non smelly, so there's some consolation there when dh and I have it all over us!!

Anyway, we're keeping her hydrated, and trying to bind her up but we've stopped the medication. Calling the doctor now to figure out what to do. I mean, the diarrhea is so bad that I gave her avocado, and no exaggeration, 15 minutes later there it was in chewed form on her diaper.

If you have any 'binding' food suggestions, please let me know!

16. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Wow, DG, that is terrible! My mom gave Olivia a few raisins the other day (which terrified me of her choking, but she loved them and did well with chewing them, or so I thought!) Later that night the raisins came out WHOLE in her diaper! Totally freaked DH out since he was that one to change her and didn't know what they were, lol! I couldn't imagine seeing all of her food come out like that, but at least it doesn't smell! I guess just give her lots of banana's and other fibrous fruits to help bind her, lol!

We're in trouble now. Olivia has discovered doorknobs. She hasn't quite figured out how to turn the round ones yet, but our bedrooms have the handle type knob that you don't turn but push down on. She now knows how to open the bedroom doors. It's just a matter of time before she figures out how to turn the other knobs. I guess I have to add those doorknob thingys to my list of things I need to get soon! I can't believe she can even reach them already, she's just too darn tall!

17. Myste

Myste New Member

DG - try BRAT for diarrhea - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this.

Bron - poor Laurana, hope it clears up soon!

Wes keeps going back and forth between one nap and two, I wish he'd figure out which. Yesterday he took a late, long afternoon nap so we put him down about 1 1/2 hours later than normal.... he was STILL up at 5:30 this morning, ugh.

I think I'm going to be switching to the Childrens' version of ibuprofen he's at the full-dose weight of Infants but he's been absolutely refusing to take it lately - spitting it back out no matter what I do to try to get him to swallow it. I think I might have better luck with the variety of flavors in Children's. it's the same amount of medicine if I use the infant's or a half dose of Children's. I'll ask the dr when I take him in but I haven't decided yet who we're going to see.

18. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

BRAT diet, that makes so much more sense than the BARF diet. I was trying to figure out what the F was. haha.

P has also been switching up her naps. She does best, behaviorally at least, sticking to a morning and afternoon nap. Sometimes she just takes a noon nap. She doesn't nap at all in school, and she's a total mess those days (and they still tell me she naps from 12-2:30). She almost never naps more than an hour, though I wish she would!

19. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

DG- Poor, Poor P! What do they have her on? Bactrim? ( that might not be spelled right ) Noah had to have a super strong one once for his ear infections since the others did not kick it out.

I agree, try the BRAT remedy.

Myste- We have been using Children's everything for a while now ( typical dosage is the full 5mL ) Dr approved us an all! Sometimes it can be a pain because they get so much more and if they fight it, it's much harder to get it all down!

Noah is sick! He doesn't have the runs but the pukes are CONSTANT! He is throwing up as fast as he is getting down. I am waiting for his Drs office to call me back, I am sure it is a virus and they will say they can't do much BUT we have a flight on Wed. to FL ( just 1.5 hours ) but the airport time and the actual time in FL I would hate for him to be miserable ( plus, I would like to get his ears checked before the flight )

He IS however talking a lot more these days, not fluent, but using words. Piggy, Cup, Doggy, Cow-Moo, blue berry, kitty-cat, Piper, Poppy, Ma-ma, Da-da, Ga-ga, Pa-pa, baby, Tea ( lol! ) Water = Wah-wah, Hot dog, Cheese, and some others... Oh well, how could I forget "NO" the ever so popular word these days! He is constantly telling me "No" when things are taken from him or he doesn't want to do something. Sigh.... I think it has begun.

20. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

LMAO! We cross-posted! Barf diet! lol!! [​IMG]

I think that's what Noah might be on!