Menstrual cup user survey | PATH inquiry

Discussion in 'Messages for Mods' started by Celina Kareiva, Feb 2, 2016.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Celina Kareiva

Celina Kareiva New Member

Hello,
    My name is Celina and I’m a big fan of your site and the supportive online community you've fostered. I work for PATH, a global health nonprofit based in Seattle, Washington that is committed to improving the health and wellbeing of women and children around the world. We are best known for bringing affordable, innovative technologies to market in Africa and Asia, such as the female condom, an injectable contraceptive known as Sayana Press, and a lifesaving vaccine for meningitis.

As you probably well know, menstrual health is central to women’s ability to thrive in every part of the world. Unfortunately, in many developing countries, menstrual health is a taboo topic. Without access to products women and girls may resort to using unhygienic alternatives like feathers, soil, strips of mattress or old rags to absorb menstrual blood. What’s more, research suggests that poor menstrual health has been linked to school absenteeism, transactional sex for sanitary pads and adverse health outcomes, like reproductive tract infections. We believe that improving menstrual health for girls and women in developing countries will have huge implications for their health, education and gender equity.

PATH recently completed a landscape of all brand-name menstrual cups available on the global market and we our now engaging in conversations about how to improve upon existing models, to design a menstrual care product that would be appropriate for girls and women in developing countries where there may be a steeper learning curve to using these devices and unreliable sources of soap and water for cleaning. We recently developed a 20-question survey for past and current menstrual cup users about their experiences and preferences using different brands and models of menstrual cups. The survey is voluntary and completely anonymous. We’d love to share it on your forum, but I wanted to make sure that I have your permission and support first.

We are finalizing the questions now and I’d be happy to share a survey link with you in the next few days. You can learn more about PATH's work and interest in menstrual health, here: http://sites.path.org/water/files/2014/05/123-MH-fact-sheet_110415_FINAL1.pdf. Looking forward to hearing from you!

All the best,
    Celina Kareiva
    ckareiva@path.org

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely, go ahead! Thanks for checking in. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for results!
    Row

3. Celina Kareiva

Celina Kareiva New Member

Thank you so much for your support!