Long-term depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Wellbeing' started by Snowy, Jan 1, 2016.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Snowy

Snowy New Member

Even though I acknowledge that this isn't a new topic in this forum, I decided to write about my story; perhaps someone can relate to this.

I am 27 years old and feel that I have been experiencing depression for 15 years, since my family moved to a new country. I have adapted and my life isn't probably too bad- I am working on a career that I really wanted, have good friends, great boyfriend- even though our relationship isn't an easy one, since it's long distance.

As with everyone, some days are better and others worse, but I think that I have felt if not depression, then at least blues at some point every DAY in these years. Some days it's so bad that I don't want to go on and I can even end up harming myself, and it still happens.

I hated the new country we moved to. I was bullied at the school for being a foreigner and later, as a teenager, I was stalked by someone in my high school a few years older. That person would follow me everywhere and threaten that he would kill himself because of me... As a teenager, I believed it was my fault and this situation, which continued for almost a year until I moved to a different city, has left it's mark on me and I am still scared of running into him, although many years have passed.

I have secretly battled with eating disorders, sometimes have anxiety or panic attacks that are difficult to control. Yet most people see me as really calm and almost can't believe if I ever tell them of these out-of-control moments. Only the closest people who have witnessed them, my parents and boyfriend, know how bad it is. According to their words "I am not really myself and totally out of control" in these moments. I can start crying, shouting, shaking, mumbling something... It's very strong for me and I usually don't remember well what I did afterwards.

Over time, this made me so unconfident. Before, I was able to mask it, but not anymore. I feel like I'm losing at everything.

I feel like an adult who needs to have their life together. But I am so tired of feeling sad, worthless and anxious. But after all these years, can I really manage to pull myself out of it and be a happy, whole person? Because, surely I have had great experiences that I should be grateful for, but at the end of the day, sadness always finds me and I feel there is something deeply wrong with me.

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Snowy

Snowy New Member

I get really panicky and take too many sleeping pills to stop the pain.. Is this harmful? Please any advice on how to get better? And if possible, what am I suffering from? I'm an educated, intelligent person who can give good advice to friends in trouble... But I don't know how to get out of this :(((( it's serious and taking over my life and especially closest relationships. :(

3. Snowy

Snowy New Member

It's really bad. I'm not a weird psycho but a nice person. But I really need help handling this situation. Any advice, please? :(

4. Sandypandy1234

Sandypandy1234 New Member

You need mindfullness into your life. Live in the present moment, not in the past or future. Enjoy a good and healthy diet and you will see a change.

5. Tonglen guy

Tonglen guy Active Member

I think you should speak with a doctor about this. You may have a kind of depression known as dysthymia. It's thought of as a "low grade" depression, but that should not fool anyone. It can be destructive as hell.

A simple definition off the net is this: Dysthymia is characterized by depressed mood experienced most of the time for at least two years, along with at least two of the following symptoms: insomnia or excessive sleep, low energy or fatigue, low self-esteem, poor appetite or overeating, poor concentration or indecisiveness, and feelings of hopelessness.

It's an underlying depression that never seems to lift - not acute, but it can be chronic. Get it checked out. You do not have to feel this way.