Let's talk Strollers/Travel Systems!!

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by MyrtleWarbler, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Nessa's question to me in the registry thread prompted me to start this separate thread.

So, DH and I test drove a bunch of strollers at BRU the other day. I had also done a bunch of research beforehand - mostly just online reviews, Consumer Reports, and the book Baby Bargains (love it!).

I had pretty much narrowed it down to either the Chicco KeyFit (highest ratings on CR for car seat) or Graco Snugride. The benefit of the Graco is that there are a zillion Graco strollers out there, including double strollers (thinking ahead). At the moment Chicco doesn't make a double stroller that takes their infant seat - but other brands are compatible, and I just read they are about to make one (I figured they would by the time I would need it - their sales must have shot up after the great ratings on CR).

Here's what I have learned so far, but I want the opinions of others who have BTDT!!...

My friend Lovey loves her Chicco car seat and was lukewarm on the Chicco stroller at first, but says now that it's fine. DH didn't really like the stroller when he pushed it at BRU, for various picky-man reasons. The Chicco infant seat can't snap into a grocery cart like the Graco can (technically not considered safe anyway, but lots of people do it).

The Graco Snugride car seat is rated fine, not as high as Chicco (and a few others). We tried a few Graco strollers. The Quattro is really nice. Super easy one-hand fold. But it's big! And the handle doesn't adjust. It's a little tall for me, though if I put my hands to the side where it slopes down, it's OK. DH loves this one, insists on it. The Graco MetroLite is smaller, lighter, and has an adjustable handle. Not as easy to fold, but OK. I like it, DH is lukewarm. Another one they make (Stylus maybe) has the easy one-hand fold and is smaller than the Quattro, but not as lite as the Metro.

There are other popular brands... EvenFlo, Safety 1st, Peg Perego, Compass, Britax, etc. What experiences do you all have??

2. eve07

eve07 New Member

i have a chicco travel system and love it. the car seat base is super easy to install. the stroller is solid. we use it a lot and it is holding up great.

i've never been a fan of graco, don't know why....but i've never personally owned anything by graco, so i don't have any experience with them either.

but i love my chicco.

3. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

I had a Graco when I had Audrey, with the matching carseat. I found the stroller REALLY bulky, but it was a gift, so shouldn't complain. It was nice and light though...If I would be looking for another single stroller, I'd be looking for the kind that will fold nicely and compactly. My double stroller is a stand and sit (Joovy Caboose) and it folds nice and flat (which I love since we have a Hyundai Accent), BUT it is very heavy...

4. labby06

labby06 Active Member

MW - I'm with you on the researching and test driving at BRU! We ended up registering for everything Chicco (travel system, playard, high chair). Although it's a bit more pricey than some of the others, I just felt it was better quality. The playard seemed to be a bit sturdier (and I also read about this in the reviews) and many people talked about how much easier the chicco stuff is to clean. We plan on having our second child within 2-3 years after this one, so I for us I think it is best to spend a little more up front and get something of a bit better quality that will hopefully last through 2 children instead of having to buy all new stuff the second time around. I'm sure my mother will have something to say about my "expensive taste" but I say oh well, if she doesn't like it then she doesn't have to buy it!

5. shelleyinatl

shelleyinatl New Member

I use the Graco Sungride carseat with my Maclaren Techno stroller... works wonders and isn't as bulky as the Graco system. We also have a Britax carseat that we will use for DD after she hits about 20 lbs.

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

We are using a Graco Snugride for a car seat with a BOB stroller. The BOB has a simple attachment that fits the carseat on the stroller until the baby is big enough to fit in the stroller sans carseat. So far we only use the strollercar seat combo on our nightly walks around the neighborhood. The BOB looks huge, but actually folds up quite easily and isn't too heavy for loading into cars (not that I've actually done that yet). Because I hate lugging all that stuff around (slings are so much more portable), I think I'll be getting a lightweight umbrella stroller when the Pip is able to hold her head up--maybe, I love having Piper so close to me.

7. JoanieD

JoanieD New Member

I had a graco snugride travel system with Kylie and used it for Drew too. Never had a problem with it at all. That stroller was very bulky though and harder to adjust.

I have a Graco Quatro tour deluxe travel system with the Safeseat. I absolutely love it. Squeaker is already 18 lbs 5oz at nine months and would have to be into a convertible seat soon with the Snugride I had. With the Safeseat she is only on the middle slot for the straps and can be in there until she about 12lbs heavier. I also think this one is a better quality than the old Snugride I had.

I love the stroller. It folds easily and is very sturdy.

We went with Graco because it was a bit cheaper and the Safeseat had great safety ratings. We did look at the Chicco too.

8. Myste

Myste New Member

Hmm. We opted not to get a travel system. We're using the Britax Boulevard carseat, and just use a sling for when we're out. I got the Jeep All-Terrain stroller for when we go camping or on long walks to the park/mall/etc when he gets bigger, but for now he *loves* being carried in the sling.

The stroller is nice but it's super heavy and not compact at ALL. DH wants to get something small and light like an umbrella stroller, and we may do that, but I like the heavy rugged one because I like wooded trails, and they tend to be bumpy and very uneven. Despite being 3-wheeled, it's not a jogging stroller.

9. erin321

erin321 New Member

We also opted not to get a travel system. DH was extremely adamant about not wanting one. Said it was too heavy and bulky. I argued him at first, but it worked out well in the end. We have the chicco keyfit 30 carseat and I love it. The base is super easy to install and it's not too heavy. (Although they all get heavy when baby gets bigger!) We got the Snap N Go Stroller to go with the carseat. The carseat just slips right into it. It is SUPER light and very very easy to push. It folds one handed and fits right into the trunk. I love it.

The only problem with this is that we had to get a separate stroller for when she gets a little older. We ended up with the Maclaren Volo. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I hear it's wonderful. Hailey is holding her head up perfectly and I want to be able to take a walk with her in a regular stroller but she doesn't fit in it yet. It's rated at 6mo+ but have to say that you could use it earlier. Or most people probably could. Our problem is that Hailey is too tiny to be put in it right now so I ended up buying a cheaper stroller that reclines a bit so she could use that now. I would completely recommend the Snap N Go but wish we had made a smarter choice originally on the second stroller and gotten one that reclines.

10. Lestorke

Lestorke New Member

Jeep Overland surely indulges my little one. It's got an iBaby sound and snack/cup tray in front.

11. Surry

Surry New Member

We have the Peg Perego Pliko P3 stroller and I'm really happy about it. It has a lot of well thought-out features and easily folded. It's really good value for all he features, I ordered it online on prams.net and I think it was even cheaper than the graco Buggy which I also tried. For us, as we travel alot, the Graco was way too bulky but otherwise I think it's also a good stroller.

12. Fascinated

Fascinated Member

Does anyone have any experience with Thule Glide (not the Urban Glide) jogging stroller. I don't intend to jog with it, but rather take my grandson on walks on wooded trails with hills. I have a bad back and bad knees and I want the hand brake feature. His parents already have a regular stroller so I am not looking for any normal features. The Thule Glide got the best safety review on Baby Gear site. Any thoughts?