IUD Q&A continues!

Discussion in 'IUDs' started by pauli, May 14, 2006.

1. Tarsia

Tarsia New Member

My SO didn't trust that my IUD would keep me from getting preggers. Not that he was upfront about it either. Guh. Men.

Maybe it would help if he could do some reading up on it himself? Might that sooth his concerns?
    I sent my SO a couple websites that talked about it, and not too long after he seemed to be better about it. At this point he doesn't seem to mind at all. He just needed some reassurance I think, that it was an effective means of birth control. I will admit, it can seem a little odd to trust a little scrap of copper to keep you from getting preggers.

2. van

van New Member

Mirena is becoming my worst nightmare. Had it fitted on the 24.01.2008, bled since, albeit very pale, always discharge and only had one week off. The worst is the mood swings and weight gain and basically feeling like Mama Papa all the time. Have been given the 6 month see how it goes but after nearly 4 months I'm not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. Not seeing many positves for this basic answer to heavy, painful, irregular periods and wondering now which is the lesser of the two evils ???????? Help

3. fate1499

fate1499 New Member

That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that. My experience has been great, aside from the random spotting that I'm never prepared for (ruins lots of panties).

4. MsMad

MsMad New Member

Hi All,

I am new here and just finished reading the entire Essure thread. Having done so, I've decided to stick with the Paragard IUD.

I wanted to share my experience with it since I've had Paragard for nearly ten years now. I'm 40 with two kids and a fantastic husband. I don't want any more kids, but the risk of having Essure not work or float around seemed too scary to me. If anything goes wrong with the IUD I can always have it removed.

About Paragard. Before I had kids I used the pill. It was okay but I didn't want to take hormones for my entire fertile life (40 years or so). I also forgot them on occasion and that freaked me out. I spend many sleepless nights wondering if I'd accidentally get pregnant, since pregnancy came easy to us. Luckily, I didn't.

So, when my second child was two, I decided on Paragard. I remember that the insertion was somewhat uncomfortable and I did feel woozy and dizzy. I think I had a few cramps for a few days. After that, all was great. Our sex life really picked up because I felt so free. Sex was never better! It's still great.

There are a couple of drawbacks. One is I've had BV (bacterial vaginosis) about 4-5 times since I've had the IUD. I had it once before the IUD though. The most recent time was due to my husband having epididymitis, so I don't think it had to do with the IUD--not sure.

The other is longer periods. I usually spot for 4 days or so before my flow picks up. A few days of medium flow and one day of heavy flow, then one light. It adds up to about ten days. Mostly just spotting but it does drag out and put time constrictions on our sex life. Barely any cramps though, nothing worth taking an Advil over.

The last one is possible early miscarriage. There have been two instances when my breasts have gotten very sore (my first sign of pregnancy) and I've proceeded to have a very heavy period with more cramping than usual. This is upsetting. Nothing definite, but I've always wondered it they were lost pregnancies.

On the plus side, there are no worries about getting pregnant. My youngest is now twelve and I can't imagine having another baby. Sex is great for the twenty days a month I'm not on my period.

So, even though it's not covered by insurance like Essure, I will be going with Paragard again. It will take me almost into menopause.

Thanks for letting me share. After reading everyone else's Essure stories, I felt I should contribute. [​IMG]

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yep, that unpredictable spotting ruining undies was one of the most annoying side-effects I experienced on the progesterone only mini-pill--I think the Mirena is progesterone only too? I was on the mini pill for 3 years, and that damn spotting never went away!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

6. bjswoman

bjswoman New Member

I was on Mirena and hated it. I got bigger, or rather, my stomach got bigger(liked permanent bloated). My sex drive hit rock bottom, and the spotting almost everyday sucked. The doctor was like, you only have a couple more months before it should taper off, but I couldn't take it, and neither could my DF. So, after about 3 weeks of not being on it, we went from sex every 14 days, to sex everyday, sometimes 2 and 3 times a day. Still haven't lossed the stomach, but I have more energy to work out. I'm a happier person too, which DF is probably thankful for. I'm going to go back on the patch once I find that stupid prescription that I lost somewhere in the house or truck. By the way, does anyone know if it costs to have the doctor to print another prescription if I lost the other one?

7. fate1499

fate1499 New Member

I guess everyone's different... I haven't noticed any decline in my sex drive. I'm also not experiencing any bloat at all. I used the patch when it first came out and it gave me a terrible square shaped rash!

Cherry, they shouldn't charge you to re-write another prescription. They should be able to call it in directly to your pharmacist.

8. van

van New Member

Hey, just wondered how the Mirena was going.
    I am still thinking about having it removed and don't know why I keep waiting, perhaps I'm hoping the weight gain, bloatedness and mood swings will stop ?
    Weird though that my husband is now OK with IT, just not me. x

9. jen6292

jen6292 New Member

Hi, I am new here! But I just had to tell you that I am having the same problems. Only difference is that I have had mine in for almost a year and I didn't even associate the concerns with my IUD but it has been brought to my attention that this may be the problem.

I don't know about you, but I have never had a problem with acne. I can count on my hand the amount of pimples I had until this year. There has been permanent acne on my face!!!

Hope everything gets cleared up for you, my doctor is on Friday, so here's hoping!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

10. Swimdemon448

Swimdemon448 New Member

i just had my paragard put in about a month ago. i'm a division one swimmer, and i was just wondering if anyone else does rigorous physical activity with an IUD and does it increases the risk of expelling it? i talked to my doctor about all this, but i just want someone to reassure me. i do at least 20 hours a week of very intense physical activity.

11. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I'm most definitely not working out 20 hours a week, but I do play water polo, jog, ride my bike, and workout. I have the paragard too--for a year now, and I haven't had any scares with the iud dislodging. I do wonder if there's a chance for it expelling with any sort of weight changes combined with vigorous activity. The nurse/midwife who inserted my iud has 20 years of"iud" experience and she assured me that weight loss or athletic activity will not affect the iud, but I don't know--I'm not 100% convinced either.

12. van

van New Member

Jen, I've had some horrible spots and with my mood swings now becoming aggressive I've booked myself in with the nurse tomorrow to get this gremlin removed.
    Already I'm feeling a sense of relief ? Why ?
    If anyone out there has any alternative ideas for relief of heavy periods please tell me. I'm going to send the husband for the snip, somehow !!!!!

13. van

van New Member

Thank you bjswoman. You was the one who inspired me to get this IUD removed. I've done it !! 6 hours on and I'm finally smiling. Us women have enough hormones running round our beautiful bodies without any extra ones making us go mad. Why do we do it. I've 3 gorgeous girls, been married for 17 yrs so why won't he use any contraception?? I so want to be a man if I ever come back.........

14. wendyann67

wendyann67 New Member

Hi,

I had my copper iud fitted on the 7th April 08 and have had varying stomach cramps since then. I finished my period on the 5th April, on the 19th April, I noticed small amounts of blood when I wiped myself after going to the loo this carried on until Thursday of this week, when the blood has now turned into more of a period accompanied by stomach cramps and back ache. Is this normal as I only finished my period on the 5th April? I was not using the bcp prior to all this, so it can't be hormone related.

Thanks

15. demon-dolly

demon-dolly New Member

I would say expect cramping and bleeding after having an IUD inserted.

As to how long this will happen, every woman is different.

For me, it was severe enough cramping for me to debate as to whether or not I had made a mistake in even having one inserted at all.

Good luck to you.

16. CM10

CM10 New Member

Wendy - I have had my Paragard in since the end of March and, when I had mine put in, I had a similar experience. I finished my period, from when I had it put in and, two and a half weeks later, I started another period, finished it, and haven't had one since (going on 3 weeks now). So, it is probably just how some of us react. At least I hope so, cause I don't think I can handle a period every two weeks!! [​IMG]

17. jess83

jess83 New Member

I had a gynefix copper IUD inserted and shortly after I started to get hyperpigmentation on my face. Has anyone on here with the same problem noticed a reduction or complete elimination of the hyperpigmentation once the IUD was removed?