Infants to 1 year - Part 5

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by Penguin-Goon, Mar 18, 2011.

1. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

My grandma always says my mom was potty trained by a year old and my mom said I was day trained at 18 months. Ijust don't have the time to really work on it to try so early with any consistency.

2. iampam

iampam Active Member

Yeah RJ sounds like a great candidate for EC, but there's no reason to unless you feel so inclined. It seems like it would be a lot easier when they can take off their own pants and communicate that they need to go potty.

3. BunnyGirl19

I agree. It'd be a lot easier at least if he was walking and can talk to tell us he has to go. He can't do that yet but we may try when he can.

4. Bron

Bron New Member

I think the nappies we used to wear helped children potty train earlier and probably made our mothers want us potty trained sooner! I wonder whether the work involved in getting an infant potty trained is worth it - it would be nice, but changing nappies isn't so bad (remind me I said this when I am wishing Kirima was potty trained)

After saying Kirima doesn't understand much I think I have found a few more words she seems to know - she comes (crawls to me) when I ask her to and we are teaching her to take things (I use "ta" for taking and giving anything) and she knows what clap is even though she can't yet clap by herself.

5. BunnyGirl19

Does anyone have any experience with the Baby Bjorn Smart Potty? My mom is wanting to get one for RJ to use at her house. It seemed like the best option for his size and also has a rubber bottom so it can't slip on the floor.

6. labby06

labby06 Active Member

We have the Baby Bjorn Potty Chair which is similar to the smart potty but has a higher back. If I remember correctly, I believe you said that he was still kind of tipsy when sitting? Maybe the potty with the higher back would be better for him so he would have more stability and not topple off of it if he reached for something or lost his balance. The potty has worked well for us and I have no complaints about it, but Olivia was also much older (about 18 months) before we started using it.

7. BunnyGirl19

Yeah, he's kinda tipsy at times still, but he usually leans forward, not backward. Usually he starts reaching for something and loses his balance. I've held him on the toilet and gotten him to go, but something more his size would definitely be better for that purpose. Our main concern is whether or not a taller potty is going to be stable or if he'd be able to tip it over if he tried to pull himself up on it. I know the shorter one is pretty stable.

8. iampam

iampam Active Member

Eddie is getting close to crawling! He's pretty good at rolling around and turning to get what he wants, but he's starting to push up on all fours too.

His sitting up unassisted skills have really improved lately. I don't have to worry so much anymore, though I wouldn't want to walk away if he was on a really hard surface. He sits up in the bath, but slips easily if he's reaching for something, so we still have to keep a hand either on him or very close to him.

9. Bron

Bron New Member

Yay Eddie - sounds like he is doing really well.

Kirima keeps pulling herself up in the bath and the other day she slipped and went under (luckily the water is really shallow and of course she was pulled out immediately) Not sure how to get her to behave in the bath - I bath both girls together and usually make sure Kirima is out before seeing to Laurana as its just safer, but things can still happen.

Been working this week and Kirima has not been very happy - she hates when I leave her even for a short while. I also may possible get a part time permanent job next year (am supposed to go for an interview sometime soon) and not sure how she would cope with the time away from me then (or how I would cope) as the hours are really weird and if I put her in a preschool/creche she'd have to be there three full and two halfdays per week.

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

BG, I think the big Bjorn potty might be too big for Eddie yet, BUT, it is super stable.

11. labby06

labby06 Active Member

The high back one is super stable. We've never had any issues with it tipping over or anything and she climbs all over everything, but like I said, she was much older and very stable when we started her on it. I definitely would not let him sit unattended at this point on any type of potty. You will most likely have to hold him because his butt is probably still too small, and if he's still tipsy when just sitting on a floor I doubt he would be able to sit on a potty unassisted with nothing supporting his little behind.

We had the same bath issues when she was at the climbing/pulling herself up stage. We had one incident where she slipped, and since my hands were covered in soap she slid right through them and knocked her chin on the side of the tub and bit her tongue causing it to bleed. I then got a rubber mat to put in the tub and it made it much less slippery and we haven't had any issues of her slipping since.

12. iampam

iampam Active Member

In the good news department, I got almost 50% off on Eddie's car seat yesterday. I found out that Fred Meyer considers car seats to be apparel. Go figure. The funny thing is I would have paid full price, Eddie is barely fitting in his infant seat anymore.

Best price online for Safety First True Fit C650 after tax and shipping: $168.33
    Car seat at Fred Meyer: 179.99
    10% senior discount 17.90 (I had my dad with me and it was a Tuesday)
    40% Rewards apparel discount 64.44
    0% Oregon sales tax = $0
    Final price: $97.56

And in bad news, DH is almost certainly getting laid off. It's a lot of drama and no one really knows what's going on.

13. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Good deal on the True Fit! We now have 4 of them and I love them! I have 2 of the Premiere's and 2 of the c650's. I like the material of the cover of the c650's better because it's easier to wipe off between cleanings. I got my c650's for $95 when they appeared on kids.woot.com (a deal a day site) because it was the cheapest I saw them and I knew I wanted to stick with the True Fit for the new baby. When people ask about car seats I always recommend it, but for some reason everyone always wants to go the Britax route, because of the name I guess. It really is a great seat thought!

Sorry to hear about your DH. I just had 2 people on my FB post today about either them or their spouse losing their jobs too. So sad.

14. BunnyGirl19

I love my Combi Coccoro because it fits very well in my car and it's a convertible. When RJ is around 4 I'll need to buy a different seat though.

15. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

My parents were given a britax for their car, and I hate it. But I'm glad I didn't have to buy them another seat, lol. Britax was the bomb diggety years ago, and most car seats were inferior. Not the case anymore.

Great deal on the seat, iampam! Sorry to hear about your husband's job, I really hope it's just nasty rumors.

16. starbug

starbug New Member

Me and Autumn are sick [​IMG] we have norovirus and I'm finding it very hard coping with it myself while looking after Autumn while she has it. Nightmare! I've only had it for one day so far but shes had it for 4. Shes hardly eaten anything for the last few days and hasnt wanted her bottles so I've only managed to get 3 oz down her at a time. But she just had a small amount of rice pudding with apple and pear, and seemed to really enjoy it so I hope her appetite is coming back. She's had a 4oz bottle and a 6 oz bottle today which is more than she's had the last few days, though it does seem to have gone right through her. I've been giving her plenty of water, but I've been worried about her not getting enough nutrients. I'll give her another bottle in about an hour, then another before bed. I hope we're both better tomorrow, I can't stand it lol.

17. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

We have Britax for both kids and honestly I wouldn't trade them for any other seat. Kids can sleep in them with comfort, they buckle easy, have the nice little strap holders to keep them straight, velcro to hold them out of the way while putting the kids in, and of course have a nice standard in accidents.

Star- Hope she gets better soon! That has been one of my biggest fears!! I don't know what I would do if I got so sick and had to watch both of the kids! Ahhh!!

Update on K- She is a big girl! I don't think she is too far from walking either! She moves all over the place and is an over all awesome happy little baby! Can't beleive February is just around the corner and she'll be ONE! [​IMG] I still think she is short for her age, guess we'll see.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to get her for Christmas... It's so hard to shop for a little baby that doesn't really need/do much.

Here are some updated pics of her:
    (One just shows how much hair she is getting! )

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! [​IMG]

18. BunnyGirl19

Ash, I got RJ a rocking horse for Christmas (dinosaur actually, but same difference) and Jingle the Husky Pup plus the books from Hallmark since he loves stuffed animals and being read to. My mom got him a remote control spider he can chase around the floor.

19. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

We have got Luke a smart trike for christmas! I am excited about taking him out in it for the first time!!!

20. Bron

Bron New Member

BG did I miss something in the last few days? - congrats on your little surprise! When will you be due?

Ash she is so cute - and she does have a lot of hair - Kirima is still pretty bald and could be for a while. They do grow up fast - and the older K gets the more I think I will want a third - only DH might not ever oblige.