Infants to 1 year - Part 5

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by Penguin-Goon, Mar 18, 2011.

1. iampam

iampam Active Member

I'm not sure how much my grandma has used disposable diapers. I don't think they were invented (or common at least) until after her kids were out of diapers, and it's been 10+ years since any of my cousins were in diapers and I doubt she changed many of their diapers. She may have been flustered because Eddie was wiggling a lot, or maybe I had set the diaper down upside down and she thought that meant that's how it goes. Who knows [​IMG]

2. Bron

Bron New Member

Took Laurana for her 9 month appointment today. She had to have two vaccinations - measles and pneumococcal vaccines - she weighs only 16lbs nowso is very little. She is 67cm tall (26.5 inches) I think she is around the 10th centile only so very small - I have only just got her out of the 3-6 month clothes (some of them still fit though) but this is alsao what Laurana did so I am not too worried.

3. TDG

TDG New Member

LOL @ the backwards diaper Pam!

Bron--I think you mean Kirima. :p She is a tiny lil peanut! Waylon is already just about big enough for 18 month clothes! Hes very long. I think he was 21 lbs at the 9 month appt if I remember right. I hope the shots dont get her down!

4. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

M is tiny too. She's just about 20 lb (9.15 kg) at 18 months. And 80 cm (31.5 inches).

5. Bron

Bron New Member

Yup, Kirima - lol, forgetting my own children, except I did have to take them both along. She seems to be doing ok so far but am keeping an eye on her.

M is small too - can't remember how much Laurana weighed at 18 months but she was also pretty small.

6. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

RJ will be 7 months old on Sunday and he just hit 16 pounds. He was 27 inches at his 6 month appointment. He doesn't appear to have really gotten any longer since then, but who knows. I haven't tried measuring him (not that he's ever still to do it).

I'm a little worried that RJ might have gotten injured last night. He tried to pull himself up on his jumperoo and fell over and hit his forehead on one of the posts, then fell on the floor and hit the back of his head on one of the posts on the floor. He doesn't have any bumps or bruises and he cried when he fell, but now he's not acting "normal." Like he seems a lot more sleepy and irritable than normal and last night he kept waking up crying every 20 minutes or so until 3 am (might explain why he's a lot more sleepy-acting today). He also isn't really smiling or being playful, instead just wanting to lie there and suck his pacifier. But he also seems to be coming down with something too. Last night his cheeks were bright red and rashy-appearing and he was a bit warm. This morning he had a 102 fever (went down to 98 with some Tylenol) and his neck area under his chin looks puffy. He's also really congested and rattly sounding and he had a ton of boogers building up in his nose last night and this morning. If he wasn't sick I'd be more concerned about a head injury, but I'm worried that because he's sick I might be overlooking symptoms that he should have been taken in for. I told my mom if he continued to not act like himself after his morning nap (he goes down about an hour after I drop him off with my mom after he has breakfast) that she should bring him in just in case.

7. TDG

TDG New Member

BG--Id take him in if it were me. It is really hard to tell with babies(between being sick, teeth, injury--it all can look the same). Its better safe than sorry with head injuries. His temp went down to 80?? Thats REALLY low and a low temp can signal serious problems just like a high one. Id take him in for that alone.

Bron--dont feel bad..every time I go to yell at someone in this house I run through all 3 names before I get it right. lol

8. BunnyGirl19

It went down to 98. Did I make a typo (I'm too lazy to look, LOL)?

My mom took him in today and they think he's just sick because he seemed fine otherwise for them, just kinda sleepy and congested. They said he didn't show any obvious signs of head injury. He does have a bit of swelling under his chin/neck area, but it's gone down significantly as the day went on and they said it felt like swollen glands. I'm going to give him a vapor bath when I get home from work to try to help his congestion and relax him before bedtime.

9. TDG

TDG New Member

lol yes you said 80!! 98 is much better!! glad hes ok...hopefully the cold is mild.

10. Confused-Hasya

TDG, don't you mean all FOUR names? LOL!

BG, I didn't read the whole thread but - RJ kiddo, get well soon.

11. Confused-Hasya

Oh BG, I just read your post - I strongly urge you to take him in. Good luck! Hope it turns out to be just a cold coinciding with everything.

12. iampam

iampam Active Member

Eddie's sleep has been pretty hit and miss lately, not surprising since we've been traveling a LOT. Yesterday I had a meeting all day and he did awesome. He played quietly most of the time, I only had to step out when he fussed a little before his first nap. Unfortunately he made me pay for it by screaming a LOT on the drive back to my grandparents. It should have been about a 2:45 drive but it took us over 4 hours. He slept about the last hour or so and we got in around 9. When we got in he woke up and ate dinner in the high chair. He went to sleep around 10:20 and I went to sleep about an hour later.

I woke up because I was uncomfortable. Rolled over expecting it to be about 1am or so. It was 5:30 am. He ended up sleeping past 6 am and getting 8 hours in a row! He has NEVER done that before, I think his previous record was about 6 hours. By contrast, the night before he didn't even get 3 hours in a row.

I'm sure he's not going to do this consistently yet, but maybe there is hope! [​IMG]

13. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi ladies, it seems I have so little time to post lately!!! I do normally read up on whats happeneing with everyone but don't get chance to reply!

I am having to quit my job [​IMG] SIL got really funny about having Luke so in the end we just decided to call it a day. I am still working up till xmas and 3 of my friends are taking it in turns to look after him, after that maybe I will get chance to post more often than once a month! lol! I made the decision to be a SAHM for the time being, at least untill the economy improves and I can earn enough to pay childcare and actaully have some money left for me [​IMG]

Looks like I am getting ready to graduate from this group too, Luke will be one on Thursday. I just can't believe how fast this past year has gone and as usual I am getting rather emotional about moving to another thread! lol!

14. starbug

starbug New Member

Aww Happy birthday Luke! Sorry to hear about your job Mel.

I've finally managed to get Autumn to take a decent morning nap. Its taken 9 months lol. I think its because she's so mobile now and tiring herself out. She needs 2 naps of one hour and one half hour ideally. But if she gets the morning hour I'm pleased with that. I think its helping her development too, because as soon as she started napping properly, shes suddenly started to really come on with her development. she can now pull herself up to sitting position, she started crawling properly a few days ago although she prefers to commando crawl which she's been able to do for a while so tends to do that most of the time, and yesterday she learnt how to pull herself up to standing position holding on to something like the sofa. She's been able to stand quite well with support since about 7 or 8 months, but she can now pull herself up to stand and as soon as she realised she could do it she became obsessed with it and thats all she wants to do now!

She stopped sleeping through about a month ago, which I realised was because she had a cold. But since then she seems to have got into the habit of waking sometimes up to 3 times a night. She does sleep through some nights, but it seems to be most nights now that one of us has to go in to see her at some point. Or very early morning. She goes back to sleep quite easily (apart from when she had a cold and was screaming for over an hour in the night) but its getting so hard to get up to her this time of year. Its so cold and dark and I can't drag myself up lol. I have to work now too. The day I started, she had been up twice in the night, then up for the day at 5.20 and I had a cold myself, so I was exhausted on my first day lol.

15. starbug

starbug New Member

Well I wish I hadnt said that about the napping, think I've jinxed it. Ive just spent nearly 2 and a half hours trying to get her to nap this morning and shes refusing with all her power. So I've wasted my morning and shes wasted her own morning. I'm now going to have to get her back up and she's gonna be absolutely horrible this afternoon now. Shes so exhausted! Its just always going to be an issue with her. Has been since day one. I thought it was too good to be true getting her to take one hour naps. Its only been two weeks though so it might just have been a short phase of her napping well. But I'm hoping today is just a one-off.

16. BunnyGirl19

Well, RJ can now pee on command. He's been pretty consistent with doing it for the last week now. He's also pooped on command twice now too. My mom always asks him if he can go potty when she changes his diaper so he'll get it all out in the old diaper first. In the last week he's started trying to go (you can see him flex his penis) and will get at least a little bit out right after you ask him that if he has any in him (but he'll otherwise not pee when you take off his diaper; he's never done that). I've tried that a couple times with him too and got the same results. The last time I tried it I had held him sitting on the toilet and asked if he could go potty and he did!!! Yesterday my mom asked him if he could make a poopy and he started grunting and did! I'm completely shocked that he understands this already. Now if only he could tell us he had to go and then hold it until we got him to a potty. LOL!

17. starbug

starbug New Member

Wow, Bunny girl I can't believe how advanced little RJ is! I don't think Autumn understands any words yet. I'm saying 'no' a lot lately lol. I'm hoping she'll start to understand that soon lol.

18. BunnyGirl19

RJ does great with comprehension and verbal stuff, but not necessarily a lot physically. Like he still can't sit for very long on his own without tipping over (seems to be related to always looking around and reaching forthings and losing balance). He can stand great and has been pulling himself up for a few weeks, but only on some things like grabbing our hands and pulling himself up or he did in his crib until we lowered the mattress all the way and he can't reach. I found him in there bouncing one morning. He can't crawl or really scoot yet, but is trying. He just rolls everywhere now.

19. Bron

Bron New Member

BG that is amazing - it would be so great to get him potty trained early too! I don't know how much Kirima understands - she knows no and seems to know milk but not much else. He sounds like he is more than on track with the physical side of things too.

20. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

Thats great BG, it really is quite amazing just how much these little ones can understand, we just don't realise it! If you keep it up it's very possible, with alot of work, to get him potty trained from a young age. I actually looked into this but in all honesty it's not for me.

For anyone who's interested here's a link from baby centres website on potty training infacts, it recommends starting between birth and 4 months!!! In some countries this is perfectly normal!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_infant-potty-training-what-it-is-and-how-to-do-it_1745035.bc?page=1