Infants to 1 Year all welcome here - Part 4

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by gutterflower, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Welcome all infants 'til their 1st Bday [​IMG]

2. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi ladies! I have had one heck of a week (and a half) at work! Quickie post while I pump…

Happy 7 months to both of Allie’s birthday buddies!!

Labby… I have had some of those pregnancy ‘what if’ moments lately myself, since AF still hasn’t returned. To be honest, we aren’t using much for birth control, just withdrawal. Well, and a fair amount of abstinence, LOL!! I’m jealous you’ve been camping with Olivia already! Even though it didn't go so well, lol! We don’t have a camper, and I haven’t been brave enough to try it in a tent (plus, DH is a bit of a tent wuss!). Maybe later this summer.

Nessa… TTC once Sofia is closer to a year seems much more sane to me. [​IMG] And I enjoyed pregnancy quite a lot! I miss it too. I’m actually “looking forward” to doing it again someday! Allie is still in her infant seat, but I’m also starting to research ideas. Will have to look into Labby’s choice. I need something that will work in smaller backseats (I have a Honda Civic, DH has a quad cab truck so it has a “full” back seat, but not a roomy one!).

Ambrosia… You’ve gotten some great advice. I didn’t think about caffeine affecting my supply that much, and my pumping output does fluctuate… I’ll have to pay closer attention (since frankly, sometimes I just need the caffeine!). Things I do… drink lots and lots of water!... I take 2 fenugreek capsules per day, which is actually a “low dose” of that herb but gives me a little boost. And yes, give it a little more time. Remember to call a lactation consultant if you want even more help, that’s what they are for!

Speaking of working and little ones… I’m back to work full-time, and I’m OK with that. I am very lucky to have the job I have, and I do enjoy it. But on the side I coach gymnastics a little. I don’t do it for the money, I do it because I love the sport and want to stay involved (and of course, class will be free for Allie – and ‘mommy and me’ classes start at 18 months!). I’ve just eased back in to going about once a week, but not every week. In mid-June I’m committing to once a week and taking on a more regular role again (have been just helping as an “extra” lately). Last night I was there for someone who was on vacation and there were two parents holding babies that were 6-12 months, right in the doorway near where I was helping some girls. And I thought “What am I doing here!?” because I could have been home with Allie. But… I do also enjoy that work, it helps me get some “exercise” when I otherwise don’t do enough, and it gave Allie a couple hours with a friend of mine who is the closest thing to a “godmother” (close local friend who is childless by choice, but loves to dote on her friends’ kids!). I guess that’s just the guilt of being a working mom…

And, speaking of work… I have blown past my usual pump break time, gotta go!...

3. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Attachment parents out there! What do you do when baby cries uncontrollably, no one else to take care of baby and you are exhausted/arms are hurting/need to eat/attend nature's call?

4. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Put baby in a safe place ( Crib, swing, car seat etc... ) make sure they are clean, fed, not to hot or cold and give yourself a few minutes to breathe and focus. I don't know that you could do all those in one go but it will give your arms a break and if you are pretty quick you might be able to nail them all at once.

5. Myste

Myste New Member

It won't hurt your baby to cry in his/her crib while you go to the bathroom. There is a huge difference between letting them cry for five minutes while you grab a speed shower/food/potty break and letting them cry for hours while you ignore them.

I highly recommend a sling/wrap for wearing even around the house - I never felt comfortable actually cooking in it but it gave my arms a break and let me have a hand free to stick stuff in the microwave and eat lukewarm food or get a cup of coffee.

6. SweetestTea

SweetestTea New Member

I really hope that by the time Im replying to this your milk supply has boomed Ambrosia. If not, you might need to look at your vitamin too. I find that my prenatal/(supposed)postnatal vitamin was affecting my milk supply. And while I love its nutritive value, I'd rather take something else that wont interfere with feeding my child.

Ugh@ AF for you labby. Im having a long extended version with this IUD so I feel your pain. Im glad Olivia enjoyed the camping trip and that company sucks.

I agree with Myste, Haysa. There are times, regrettably, when your little one is going to have to cry for a bit. And I think you know which situations are reasonable. You cant very well not go to the bathroom or get a drink or bite to eat. You'll be surprised to find that sometimes your baby will stop crying or wont start when the last time you set them down it seemed as if it was horribly painful. It does get better with time, but it wont hurt your baby at all to go a few moments, even crying, without you.

7. Myste

Myste New Member

Another thing I forgot - when Wes was first born I had some major incontinence issues so I didn't always have time to put him in the crib. I kept a wicker basket lined with a towel in the bathroom that I could just drop him in. Didn't work for more than 2 months before he outgrew it but was perfect for those "I gotta go NOW!!!" moments.

8. Confused-Hasya

Thanks, Ash, Myste, and SweetestTea. We can love them all we want but we do have to keep ourselves sane and healthy too, if not for our own sakes, for their sakes. I just get extra scared because she goes onto her side with ease and starts trying to root at the bed sheet when she is in a crying bout. I fear that that'll lead to her rolling over unattended. I plan to buy a bassinet today, something that has a strap around her bottom and waist.

9. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Hi Ladies,
    It's been a while but I had to find a sec to update.

Breast Milk.... Thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice you've given me. I bought my medela pump and it has made a world of difference. I found out that Isaiah ( my heartbeat, my love...LOL) is lazy about sucking straight from the "tap"...lol. I guess it's my fault for introducing the bottle to him, but he hates that my breast doesn't squirt in his mouth the way the bottle does. So with pumping, up to 8 times a day, my milk supply has slowly but surely increased. My girlfriend gave me the tip of squeezing my breast while pumping and it has been the best tip so far.

With the pump, I have decided to pump not to store long term but to be a day or two ahead so that he gets about 2-3 bottles of breast milk and 2 bottles of formula a day. This is working great. I hope in time, I will be able to completely take out formula or at least have him drinking only 1 a day.

Thank you guys again for all the love and advice....

10. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

ooooh.... where are my manners.

Confused, i know EXACTLY! what you mean. Zeze has a thing with car seats; they lull him to sleep but on the occasions where he wakes up before he gets home and there is no one in the backseat with him. WOW! HE SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER.

Yesterday on our way back from my mom's...he started crying. I stopped 2x on the road to console him but when I realized he wasn't gonna stop, i just drove the last 10 mins letting him cry. Every second hurt but i repeatedly told myself that he was safe, fed, dry, loved and ok....just crying like babies do. When I got home, I apologized to him and held him extra long. Guess what 5 mins later, he was calm and "playing".

I know it is difficult but our babies also need us to be ok in order to take care of them. Now if I was hungry and Zeze was too, I would feed him first ALWAYS! but if he is ok, I dont mind putting him down for a quick sec to eat or whatever.

11. Confused-Hasya

I usually down a glass of milk in a rush if we're both hungry at the same time and there's no one to bring me something to eat or drink. Or, grab a box of crackers and munch once she's established her feed. I always find myself running to the bathroom before a feed, though. No one can take care of that for me. And I can't take care of it while nursing :).

We didn't end up buying a bassinet. We bought a Fisherprice newborn to toddler rocker. Colorful! Sears here has a nursing room. I fed her outside of home/hospital for the first time today!

Glad to hear about your milk supply, Ambrosia!

12. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Hi Ladies,
    HAPPY MONDAY!
    Can you more experienced ladies tell a newbie when I will be able to go back to my pre-pregnancy bra's?

13. Alluring-Ash

lol! It really just depends on your body, no one size fits all there! So many factors contribute, AND I actually think my boobs shrank when all was said and done! [​IMG] I would say if you plan on introducing solids at 4 mos or 6 mos those are the minimum time frames you are looking at, although I used nursing bras until I weaned N as they where just so much easier with the little latch [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Glad to hear about your milk supply Ambrosia. Remember, its ok to supplement with formula. Some breastmilk is better than none. AND, formula is a more filling than breastmilk, so it helps to keep Isaiah nice and stuffed with formula. You are doing awesome!!

I'm still not back into my prepregnancy bras. In fact, I had to make a trip to Target the other day to buy new bras. Up until then, I was still wearing my nursing bras because they were the only thing that fit me. I found it silly to continue wearing nursing bras, when I wasn't nursing anymore [​IMG] Before I got pregnant, I was anywhere from a 34-36B (depending on the brand of bra), now Im wearing a 36C. Not really quite sure if my increased cup size is due to breast changes because of having a baby, or the fact that Im still 17lbs away from my prepregnancy weight. Im still 10lbs away from my goal weight. Im not complaining, but its definetly a change. Dont know how the other girls are doing or if they have fit back into their prepregnancy bras. Ive tried my prepregnancy bras on, and my breast winds up popping out of it. Definetly not working!!

15. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Question ladies. When can you introduce a sippy cup and juice? Im going to Wal Mart later, and was thinking of buying a couple of sippy cups and starting Sofie on juice. I know like pureed baby food, it's not necessary, but I think it would be fun to add some spice to her diet, instead of just formula, formula, and more formula!!! Is there a certain age that they need to be befire intriducing the sippy and juice? Thank you ladies!!

16. Alluring-Ash

Nessa- Juice can be given I *think* at 6 mos, I don't know that I would give her just the juice, maybe do like 50/50 juice water. As for the cup GO FOR IT! I started giving N cups at 6 mos just to play with ( with water ) I wouldn't give her more than 4oz a day though....

17. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Ash thank you. And yes, Ive heard that not too much juice should be given when starting out. I will google it, and go from there.

Huge congrats again. Im still in shock for you!! I hope I can conceive quickly with my second!!!

18. Confused-Hasya

Wooow! Ash! Congratulations!!! I didn't know you were even trying! Hope you have a very healthy 9M with a delivery of your dreams!

19. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Congrats Ash! Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Nessa - We started Olivia on the sippy cup at 6 months, but she has not had anything other than water in it. I plan on starting diluted juices next month and am also thinking about giving the pumped milk to her in a sippy cup instead of a bottle. The feeding guidelines we got from the ped say if you are giving formula to offer it in a cup at 8 months, so I'm guessing the same goes for pumped milk?

We use both a regular sippy cup and ones that have the straw in them. She does well with both. I think it's good to get them used to drinking out of a straw so that when you are out to eat and forget the sippy cup (like I did on Saturday!) they can still have a drink!

20. Alluring-Ash

Thanks girls! [​IMG]

You know he are JUST getting Noah to pick up on a straw! I wish I would have thought about it earlier but I am glad he is finally figuring it out! Smart thinking!