Infants to 1 Year all welcome here - Part 3

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by gutterflower, Feb 14, 2010.

1. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Great job making it to one year, DG! That is my goal as well, but I don't think we're going to make it. So far she has been formula free, but in August we have to go to a wedding in Maine (DH is in it) and he doesn't want to take Olivia along. I will definitely take the pump along, but I barely pump enough now to make her bottles every day and I don't have much of a freezer stash left so if we were to leave her behind she would need formula. I'm not against formula, but after working so hard to make it this far without having to give it to her it's kind of heartbreaking to have to because of something like that. I want to take my mom along to Maine so we can take Olivia along and she can watch her while we do the wedding stuff. Of course DH doesn't like that idea!

SweetestTea - I remember going through the exact same thing with Olivia at that age and I swore it was her teeth. Everyone told me no way, they don't get teeth that early, but the ped had said it definitely could be her teeth not coming in, but descending in her gums. Her first tooth started actually popping through around the 5 month mark, but WELL before that we dealt with the drooling, hand chewing, general fussiness, etc.

Ambrosia - my only recommendation is to drink LOTS of water. That seems to help me if my supply seems a bit low. Also believe it or not beer seems to help. I have read many conflicting reports on this, but for me personally it seems to work. I'm not a big beer fan, but one night our neighbors were over after Olivia had went to bed and I had a beer. I woke up the next morning to find my shirt soaked and my breasts so hard and full that they hurt! That was normal for me in the early weeks, but not so much now. It's hard to do the beer thing though when they are so little and feeding more often, as you are supposed to wait 2 hours after having a drink before feeding so the alcohol is out of your system. That was one of the nice things about Olivia sleeping the longer stretches at night - I could have a glass of wine (or in that case a beer!) It's a supply and demand system, so I would also recommend a double electric pump (and yes, they are expensive but well worth it if you plan to breastfeed long term!) and at the times you supplement him with formula I would pump to keep your body signaling to produce more milk.

2. Lintu

Lintu New Member

So funny that you ladies brought up teething...Quinn is TEETHING at only 6 weeks. No wonder she's been so fussy, drooly, and waking up twice as often at night. I can actually see one of the teeth coming through, and the other is just below the surface.

3. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Happy 7 months to Allie!! MW, I adore her pictures on FB, she's precious!! 1 more week till Sofie is 7 months old!! Ahh!!

DG, great job on one year breastfeeding. I truly envy you and Labby and all otheers who can make it that far breastfeeding. It was something I really really wanted for Sofie, but...well...you ladies know what my situation was. No need to explain again!

Ambrosia, I supplemented with formula. There is nothing wrong with it. Like DG said though, it does tell your body that less milk is needed, but if you are already having issues with supplying your baby with enough of your milk, then what choice are you left with?? I figured that some breastmilk was better than none. And you need an electric pump. Those manual pumps will just frustrate you and make you want to give up pumping. Pumping for me was my only way of keeping my supply in the early weeks when Sofie wasn't latching well. Also like Labby said, water is important, but not too much. I read somewhere that too much water can actually impact your supply. And of course a healthy balanced diet. You are giving it your all, and that in itself makes you a good mom.

4. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Awwwh..... thanks so much for the encouragement ladies.

Labby/nessa/desertgirl- super big hugs for the words of encouragement!

This morning i woke up pretty early and pumped and and 3 hrs later I pumped again.... all I got was about 1.2 ounces of breast milk. This kinda encourages me cuz I feel that if i had a good electric pump, I could get more.

My diet is kinda wack... I eat only when I am hungry and because I was a super gym/calorie counter nut b4 I got pregnant,its hard to force myself to eat more than I was eating before. DH got me some slim fast shakes, NOT TO DIET but because I LOVE them and they are great when I have no appetite.

QUESTION....With pumping and how it increases supply, does this still apply when there is nothing coming out? I mean if i sit and continuously pump, regardless of how much comes out, will my brain still tell my boobies to make more milk?

5. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Ambrosia, I was told that as long as there something stimulating your nipples, it will tell your brain that milk is needed, so it will make more. A good friend who is a postpartum nurse told me though, that the body knows the difference between the pump and the baby, so it will make more milk with the baby suckling as opposed to the pump. Problem is, a baby isnt going to suckle for long on an empty breast. That's why the pump is better than nothing in trying to stimulate your body into making more milk.

6. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Ambrosia- If you let baby suckle as long as possible and put the pump the them for as long as you can stand it, it will help your body to make more milk. Have you tried any supplements for milk supply? Are you getting enough fluids?

Some women just can't make enough milk and it is not a reason to feel like a failure in anyway! We are not all picture perfect, there are bound to be hurdles! Just know what ever the outcome you have given him the best you could while you could!

7. SweetestTea

SweetestTea New Member

Oh dear poor Quinn. I hope those teeth hurry up and get thru those gums so she can get some relief! I know my feelings were hurt so badly when Darrien was crying and fussing and trying to do something with his gums to get relief and there was little I could do for him. He has his Drs appointment on Monday so I really want to wait until we confirm its teething before I start with tablets and gels.

Oh dear Amb, if he's taking 5 oz of formula, you certainly have a big eater on your hands! No wonder your supply is depleated. Darrien is just now getting to 5 oz every 2/3 hours and there are days where I look at him eating and definitely think "I hope there's enough milk in there to last this day". I tried supplementing with formula just yesterday because its rumored to keep them satisfied longer...but he was still eating again 2 hours later after 8oz over a 2 hour stretch. Maybe he could sleep longer and that would give you more time to replenish. I know it might seem like a foreign concept, but a big help to Darrien sleeping longer was just leaving him alone when he stirred and fussed in his sleep. Unless he was all out crying I just leave him alone, maybe try to give him his paci if he seems to be looking for it (a lot of head movement). Cleo gave me that tip and BOY HAS IT BEEN A LIFESAVER!! He slept the whole night last night with a few wiggly moments but no crying. I dont expect him to do it again, but it was a nice change.

8. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

You call 5 oz a big eater???
    Have a seat and listen....
    Isaiah "the Great" took 4 bottles of 6 oz formula in a 3 hr span. I kid you not!!!!!! LOL...without ANY spitting up!

I just got back from his ped's appt and he is both 90% height and 90% weight and declared not overweight. His doc says it maybe due to genetics. I am 5'11 and DH is 6'3 so we know he is going to be a tall baby.

I am just going to do my best and leave the rest to God.

9. Lintu

Lintu New Member

Quinn was eating like that during her 5th week, no kidding. She's 85th%ile weight and 90th%ile height (DH is 6'3" like yours...I'm just 5'4", though). I bet he'll slow down just a bit...maybe [​IMG]

Seriously though, Quinn gained a pound during her 5th week and slowed down to half a pound her 6th. (Not *exact* 5th and 6th weeks, since her 6th week isn't over yet, but you get the picture).

10. SweetestTea

SweetestTea New Member

Wow....so you mean my big boy. His appointment is Monday so I dont know his percentile, is a lite eater? Wow Zeze is "eating all the milk" (as I accuse Darrien of)!

11. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Wow..is it a coincidence that Isaiah is in his 5th week? Isaiah gained 2lbs in 2 weeks. I guess we'll see if he slows down.

12. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I seem to have bite marks on my right areola. And they hurt when she feeds! What should I do?

13. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Confused, try nipple cream. It helped me.

14. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I have Lansinoh's Lanolin but it feels so sticky. I don't have a problem with that directly but although they say that I don't have to wipe it off before M feeds and she doesn't complain about it, I am not sure if having it on is great for her, health-wise. I find it hard to remove.

15. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

Ladies,
    I have been manual pumping and getting decent results... about 1 ounce per sitting. The manual pump is garbage and breaks down even when milk is still leaking out of my breasts. I have noticed that my supply is a bit more (Isaiah eating more at the breast)DH says that if we had a better pump, he is sure I would be producing and storing so much more...so with this is mind, I am thinking of buying an electric pump! The only hesitation is that I am SO SCARED that i will waste my money ($200) cuz what if the problem is actually physical and not manual? What do you think? I dont mind living with the pump attached to me 24 hrs a day as long as I know i will be getting something.

16. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I don't think you have anything to lose by buying an electric pump. Mine was a lifesaver, and was my only way of supplying Sofie with breastmilk when I was unable to breastfeed. You will get out a lot more milk and encourage your body to produce more with the electric pump. They are expensive, but a great investment.

17. Alluring-Ash

Have you thought about just renting one for a month of 2 and seeing if it suits you well? Could be a bit cheaper but also money you could be using toward the pump to own.... a catch 22 .... I am one of those that LOVED having pumping options! It was a life savor for us at first as well!

18. Alluring-Ash

Confused- Have you tried the medela brand? I LOVED it once I tried it! It has more of an oil base and goes on soo easily and wipes of the same!

19. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

I wanted to rent to try but DH ( the believer and supporter he is) swears I have enough milk in me to feed a thousand kids but also (the penny pincher he is...lOL) thinks it is a waste to rent for the same amount it costs to buy

20. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Ambrosia - I am a bit of a penny pincher too and also thought the cost of renting was ridiculous when you could buy one for not much more. I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced (backpack version) and I really like it. When I got mine it was going for 279 at all the stores, but I was able to get it online for 220 something if I remember correctly. The process was a bit weird buying online because apparently Medela doesn't allow online retailers to allow purchases through the website, so you have to get a price list emailed to you, and then email them back with what you want and then they will send you an invoice through PayPal which is how you pay. I was a bit skeptical of the process at first, but I ordered from awaybabyessentials.com and everything went smoothly with my transaction.

I'm not sure if you are going to be going back to work or anything, but if so I would HIGHLY recommend a double electric pump. I am pumping 3x a day at work and I know my hands would fall off if I was using a manual pump! They are expensive, but just think about how much you would spend in formula then it makes the price seem not so bad!