Infants to 1 Year all welcome here - Part 3

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by gutterflower, Feb 14, 2010.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 that have free access to thousands of health related discussions.. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

So last night we got home from visiting my inlaws around 11:30am. We didn't get to bed until around 1am and DF decided to sleep in bed so I couldn't co-sleep and had to let Jasper self soothe which was tough, and he woke up one more time after that and again I just let him self soothe and woke up to DD after 7 am. YAY no feedds from arond 12:30-7:30am [​IMG]

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Yayyyy Gutter!!! Thats a good stretch!!!

My poor little girl is constipated. Shes grunting and groaning a lot, and hasnt pooped since Friday night. Is there anything I can do without having to rush her to the doctor?

3. BRIANAAAA

BRIANAAAA New Member

Hey Nessa - When Landon was really constipated i tried two different things. My pediatrician told me i could try light karo syrup (about 1tbs) in his formula/pumped milk. It coats their stool and helps it move through a bit easier. That didnt work too well with landon... so we tried prune juice. In between one of his feedings we gave him about 1-2 ounces of prune juice with 3-4 ounces on water. That ALWAYS works for us. Within a few hours he goes and feels much better. We give him it about two times a week and he is very regular now. [​IMG] Hope it works for you!

4. BRIANAAAA

BRIANAAAA New Member

WOW GUTTER! Thats great news.. i bet you felt super rested today [​IMG]

5. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Thanks Brianna. I googled "babies and constipation", and the Karo syrup and prune juice seemed to be the two most common things mentioned. My mother in law also said she used it with my two suster in laws when they were babies, and she said it worked. I think I might keep a bottle in the house just in case we need it. Since I posted earlier, she did have a little smidge of poop on her diaper, but it wasnt much. And she is still grunting a lot. Poor thing! [​IMG]

6. gutterflower

Thanks ladies, I just hope I can do it when I'm alone, hehe!!

Nessa,
    The joys of constipation....I use Gripe Water for everything, hehe!!

7. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Gutter... Congrats on the sleep! May it bless you again tonight!

Nessa... Poor girl, I hate seeing them in that discomfort. [​IMG] Allie was an "infrequent pooper" for a while, but pretty much 1-2 a day now.

I think Allie has her first mild cold. (Did I say that in my last post? I can't remember, lol!). She didn't sleep as well for a few nights (but was nothing to complain about, really). Then yesterday she was a little stuffy/snotty, and was just generally a cranky needy napless mess all day. She went down a little early last night (8:30), and was up at 11, 1, 3, 5, and 6. That was fun [​IMG] .... [​IMG] Today this has continued. She really just catnaps, she nurses more often but then cries after (or during). At the moment I'm trying the swing, and it sounds promising (quiet) in there. I'll just crash on the couch. Maybe being propped up will help her (though I did add rolled towels under the mattress at 1 am, or maybe it was at 3?? LOL! I also hear a little sleep regression around 4 months is common, so maybe it's that - or a wicked combination of both! Whatever it is, I'm glad tomorrow is a Monday holiday!...

8. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Awww, poor Allie. I hope she gets better.

Gripe water, Im gonna have to try that. She did poop really big this afternoon. And it was soft and mushy. Not hard or pasty like I expected it to be. Still not sure why she was grunting so bad!!

9. Myste

Myste New Member

Nessa, it's not uncommon for BF babies to go a while without pooping at around that age, my Dr said anything from 3x/day to 3 days between was normal. Grunting and straining are also common, they're still learning how things work.

MW, sorry to hear Allie has a cold, Wes hasn't been sick at all until the last couple days, he's got a phlegmy cough. Here's to hoping you have a better night tonight!

Gutter - Yay for good night's sleep.Hope it keeps up for you!

Wes has been napping horribly lately but slept from 8-4:30am last night, and then went back to sleep at about 5:30-7:15... Usually he's up at 6:30... I think he'd have slept later except our f***ing neighbors decided to hammer or something at 7am this morning.

Not much else going on lately. Wes has mastered standing up with the aid of something solid (couch, entertainment center, legs, walls...) and can walk forward (usually to reach something I've moved away from the edge) but hasn't started cruising quite yet. He's got 4 teeth coming in at once, two through, two just breaking through. And possibly one or two more under the gums, poor guy. He's starting to chew on the crib rail so I need to make a cover for them.

10. gutterflower

Nessa,
    Jasper pretty much lives on Gripe Water because of his colic and his tummy issues. His tummy issues have been better but lately has been going poo every other day again when he was going every day and it was doing him some good. And yes they can go days , even up to I think 7 days without pooping sometimes, that's breastfed babies of course. I just prefer gripe water over giving anything else, once she starts on solids, then you can give her prune juice and fruits to help with the constipation.

YAY Wes on standing aided, YAY!!! That was a long process for DD, she held onto everything for months. She was finally walking around 14 months.

MW, Sorry about Allie's first cold [​IMG] that's never fun....

Well I let Jasper cry it out all night long, he never really even cried or freaked out, he just wanted me...you know...anyways I got up only once to put the blankets properly on him because they were all over his face, hehe!! He was angry when I left. I brought him in bed with me at 6:20am for his first feed, he didn't really feed since around 9pm the night before, so that was a great stretch for him. As for me, I didn't sleep great with him being awake on/off, but it saves my energy for the next day, that's for sure!!! So far it's working for us and I'll take that, hehe!!! I remember him sleeping from 2-3.5 months thru the night (10-7) and just have no clue what happened....but I think he was in a growth spurt since he was so hungry all night long, I almost thought i wasn't producing enough milk. Now my letdown is soooo different. I get about 3 letdowns in one feeding if he nurses for a longer period of time. It's so true when they say your body will produce just what baby needs [​IMG]

Also Jasper is 'almost' sitting unaided, not quite there, but he's able to balance himself a bit until he's gone too fast and can't catch himself to balance out. He's also not mastered putting his hands down to catch him, so I'm usually behind him catching him, hehe!! He loves sitting though.

11. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

MW, Piper has her first cold a few weeks ago. It wasn't serious, but it wasn't too fun for her, or me. I still think she may have some sinus congestion from it! She's got a well baby visit on Friday, and I'll check with the ped.

So, we've been back to having really bad nights. Our great night was just that...one great night. Ugh. Piper has her 5th tooth popping up, I have no idea if this is causing alot of pain, but she's been an unhappy baby at night, that's for sure.

Oh, and I have my first postpartum AF. For 'reals' this time. I guess the one good thing about AF is that presumably my fertility has returned, despite nursing all night with the exception of a few nights a month.

Myste, Piper also starting to move from one piece of furniture to another. And briefly standing up without support. She's still nowhere near walking though.

Congrats all you that just celebrated the anniversary of your BFP!

Hope everyone had a great valentine's day. We packed a picnic and headed out to a creek. Took all the dogs and let them run around. Piper loved putting her hands in the running creek, even though it was freezing!

Well, gotta go--I've got to get the garden ready to plant next weekend!

12. labby06

labby06 Active Member

DG - planting a garden already?! I'm so jealous! We still have 2 feet of snow in the backyard with another 4-8 forecast to fall tonight! My mom was telling me that she heard that some guy who predicts the weather and was correct about these last two storms is predicting the "grandfather" of the storms to come around March 7 and drop about 40 inches. I sure hope he's wrong!

Our nights have been all over the place. One night is great, the other she's up a handful of times. Saturday night she slept from about 7:45 until 4:30 which was GREAT! Then last night she went to bed around 7:45 again and was up around 9 and 1:30. Her naps have been all over the place too. Over the weekend she took 2 hour naps in the morning, and this morning she wouldn't go down for more than 30 minutes! She had been doing really well keeping to a fairly regular schedule, but there are some days when everything is out of whack - like today.

Constipation is definitely something Olivia doesn't suffer from! She's a very regular 2x a day pooper! She is getting sooooo big too. I went out to the Carter's store to return a few outfits that we got as gifts that she never wore (and luckily I never cut the tags off of) and bought a few new outfits for her. They only gave me 3 something for each of the outfits I returned since I didn't have a receipt which sucked, but I hit up the clearance rack and got a few 6 and 9 month outfits. Right now she's wearing a 6-9 month Disney outfit that I expected to be WAY too big for her, but surprisingly it is not. So I think we will just skip over much of the 6 month clothing and go right 9 months. So what if I have to roll a few sleeves up, at least she will get to wear them more than once!

Oh, and I'm happy to report that BD'ing doesn't hurt nearly as much anymore as I happily found out last night [​IMG]. It was a bit rough in the beginning, but got a lot better as time went on and actually felt fairly good by the end!

13. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yep, gardening already. It's about 70 degrees here today. There's a riks of some nights of freeze for the next month or so, but usually everything is okay to plant now.

More snow, geez, y'all will be buried!!

So far, this AF sorta sucks. It's heavier than I'm used to, and I have a bit of cramping. I guess the first one is supposed to be rough, so hopefully I'll have my pre-pregnancy af soon...only 2-3 days and hardly any cramping. Of course, I have less cramping the more I exercise, and I'm only doing that a couple of times a week.

Yeah, Labby, just go right to 9 months. You'll get more use out of the clothes, that's for sure.

omg, piper is cracking me up. she's SCREAMING this super high pitched happy squeal. oh, she wants the keyboard, gotta go!

14. gutterflower

Here's a few pics of jasper [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DG,
    LOL I can't believe you are gardening too [​IMG] Sorry you had a rough night, mine are too, but I'm just ignoring Jaspers whines. YAY on AF (not really), but now you know that you are ovulating for sure!

15. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Ugh, well today was a very challenging day to say the least. Olivia was so fussy today and would not nap at all which made for a very long day. I'm convinced her gums are really bothering her, but I can't tell if there's a tooth pushing through yet or not. Yesterday she started this thing where she sucks on my face after feeding when I'm trying to burp her. She latches on to my chin and sucks away, so hard that she gave me a little hickey! I couldn't hold her upright today without her trying to suck on my face which started to get really annoying. I tried sticking a pacifier in her mouth, but like before it just made her scream. I tried giving her teething rings, but all she wanted was my face! Today she did not want to eat at all and hardly ate anything. She would latch on and take a few sips and then let go and cry and fuss. I was starting to think she wasn't getting anything, but after she would let go it would start shooting out so I know that wasn't the problem. She just refused to eat which is very unlike her. She's usually trying to latch on before I even have it out! She didn't have a fever all day, but she did have a very runny poop this morning. So then I started wondering if she had a belly ache, but then read that diarrhea is a symptom of teething! She's been asleep for about an hour now, but keeps letting out little wails every now and then but then goes back to sleep. I gave her a little Tylenol before putting her down, so hopefully that will help any discomfort she's having, poor girl!

16. gutterflower

Labby,
    if it's her bottom gums, give them a rub to try and help her teeth cut thru faster or to soothe the pain, I found that helped with DD.

17. gutterflower

post #2

Wow letting Jasper just CIO or self soothe is really getting me my sleep even if he's right next to me. I don't really remember him wake up much last night, but I figure he was cold, I'm going to have DF fix that vent TODAY!!! It's gone long enough and I think Jasper would be sound asleep if he didn't kick all the blankets off of him.

18. BRIANAAAA

BRIANAAAA New Member

Gutter - those pictures of Jasper are soooo cute! He is adorable, and such a big boy!

Labby - Landon is doing all of the same things Olivia is and i was wondering if teething was possible this early too! He wont eat, he sucks on my face and shoulder like you wouldnt believe, won't nap and woke up every 2.5 hours last night and still wouldn't eat! He wont take his pacifier either (which he usually LOVES!).He barely finished his bottle before he fell back to sleep but continued to whimper. He also developed a little cold.. so it could be that, but i've heard babies often develop colds while teething.

DG - sorry to hear about Piper's first cold - i hope she is feeling better now..

Gotta Run, Landon needs a face to suck on. Lol [​IMG]

19. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Gutter, love the pictures of Jasper. He is such a handsome boy! Thanks for sharing.

I am so looking forward to Piper's well baby visit on Friday. I'd really like to her the ped's suggestions for night-time solutions...not saying anything is going to change, but I'd like to hear what she has to say. I doubt she'll suggest anything new to the gads I've read up on, but maybe hearing it in person will resonate with me. Who knows? I also think Piper still has backed up sinuses and I'd like to get that checked out too.

20. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Gutter-Little Jasper is so handome. And getting so big!! Glad you got more sleep last night! Hope he keeps it up! If you are anything like me, Im a huge crabby pants if I dont sleep enough!!

Labby-Wow, 6-9 month outfits? Im still using the 3 month outfits, and some 3-6 month ones fit her. I can't believe how fast our little ones are growing!! When does Olivia go for her 4 month shots? I think you said March 1 which is the same day for me.

As for the teething, I was at a baby shower last weekend, and a bunch of DHs family was there, and they said that 3 months is highly possible as far as teething goes. I guess we will have to see!!

Glad the BDing went well for you. Im ashamed to say, that we STILL have not BDd since Sofia's birth!! I feel so bad. I have no energy or desire to do it, but Im gonna have to put out some time!! Our 3rd wedding anniversary is in 8 days!!

DG-Is this your first AF?? I love the fact that breastfeeding has kept my AF at bay. AF is certaintly not something I miss. I certaintly look forward to going into my yearly checkup in March and saying that my last menstrual period was January 2009!! LOL!!!

AFM, nothing much. Sofia also seems to like doing the whole sucking thing. Not to the extreme of sucking on my face, but she will try and fit her entire fist in her mouth, her sleeves are soaking wet all the time. When I get her into position to breastfeed, I have found her sucking on my arm, I guess in an attempt to latch on as she frequently roots around for the nipple anytime I put her sideways because I think she knows shes about to be fed. She has latched herself on many times!! Shes very impatient!!

I hope everyone has a good day. I will check in later!