How much bleeding should i have during miscarriage

Discussion in 'Surviving Miscarriage' started by JoanieD, Dec 19, 2010.

1. JoanieD

JoanieD New Member

I started spotting (brown) on Friday night, then when I got up Saturday it was dark red. It kept increasing but never as much as a normal period. The ultrasound showed no signs of pregnancy (empty uterus). My Beta hcg was 2500 which was about 2 weeks behind what my dates say they should be. So they told me I was having a miscarriage.

Well by the time I left the ER last night my bleeding had basically slowed down to spotting. Shouldn't I be bleeding more if this is a miscarriage? Just want to know what the heck is going on.

2. iampam

iampam Active Member

I would imagine there should be at least as much blood as a heavy period?

Do you know when you ovulated, or are they just guessing dates based on your LMP?

Is it possible your pregnancy just isn't as far along as they thought, and that's why they can't see anything yet and the numbers are low? Have you had any other bloodwork/doctors appointments yet? How long ago did you get your first positive pregnancy test?

3. iampam

iampam Active Member

Also, have you been having cramping?

4. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

They don't even like to do u/s if the levels are below 2000 so I would say ask for another HCG test 48hrs later to see what the numbers are doing, this will give you a lot of information. I don't know about the bleeding and m/c as I have never personally went through this. How was the u/s done? Vaginally or over your abdomen? This is another big question.

5. msjackiedt

msjackiedt New Member

Some places do ultrasound no matter what the HCG is. I had them even when my HCG was in the 30's. I have had 3 miscarriages. The first I don't remember the bleeding much but know I had bad cramps and the bleeding started. The second was a chemical and was like a regular period. This past one was the most severe. I had HORRIBLE cramping and then passed the whole sac, clots and then bled for 4 weeks. If your HCG was 2500 they should have seen something in the uterus unless you had passed everything. Have you had any cramping on either side? I don't want to alarm you but my first loss wasn't a miscarriage which they had assumed but was ectopic. They did an ultrasound and saw nothing so they said I miscarried since I passed a few blood clots. but sent me for HCG testing to make sure. My numbers were in the 1000s so they sent me for more u/s's and then kept testing my hcg. That's when they found it in my tube. Make sure they continue testing your HCG levels. I know your body can absorb alot of the pregnancy if it is early on. But with your levels at 2500 I wonder. My first miscarriage numbers were never over 50 I dont think and I still bled atleast like a period. when are you scheduled to go back to you OB?

6. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I bled on and off for a month. Are you sure that you spotting is not just early pg spotting? I've read about it from many people on here. I would insist on getting beta checked and followed down to 0, if it is an m/c. If it is rising, the pattern should tell if it is normal or an ectopic. Good luck!

7. JoanieD

JoanieD New Member

Thanks for all the responses ladies! I am having quite a bit of cramping. I know the conception date. We only BDed the one day,it was an oops. They did a vaginal ultrasound n a regular one.

My hcg on Saturday was 2700+ and they didn't see anything in my uterus. So here is the wierd thing today they did a repeat ultrasound n hcg. Still nothing on ultrasound n my hcg went up to 3300+ (not enough of a rise to indicate a viable pregnancy.

Dr doesn't think its ectopic based on pelvic exam so I am going in for d&c tomorrow. Then we will recheck hcg on Thursday and decide what to do next based on that result. That could be methotrexate or laparascopic surgery!They plan on following my hcg until it is 0.

I am very nervous about all this! I just want it to be over! I didn't understand how hard this all was until now! I truly feel like I have a void. I really wanted this baby!

8. iampam

iampam Active Member

Did they check your tubes with the ultrasound? I would want a good ultrasound of the ovaries and tubes before doing a D&C.

So sorry it wasn't better news.

9. JoanieD

JoanieD New Member

Yes they checked my tubes n ovaries! Didn't see anything suspicious.

10. JoanieD

JoanieD New Member

My Dr wants the pathology results they get with the d&c. If we went ahead with the methotrexate we wouldn't know where the pregnancy was and I'd like answers too. She calls me at least once a day and has given me her cell phone number in case something changes.

11. JoanieD

JoanieD New Member

Well we went on to have the methotrexate injection on 12/23. I felt awful for at least 4 days. My beta hcg is finally down to 3 as of last Wednesday. I am just glad this is almost over (kind of). I have been having a hard time dealing with the loss of my baby. I never thought I would feel so horrible.

12. Confused-Hasya

HUGS!!!!

Was it an ectopic?

13. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Unfortunately I have to revive this thread, as I am currently going through what I dreaded from the beggining. This is my first m/c.my first pregnancy was an ectopic which ultimately ended with surgery to remove the pregnancy and tube. I began bleeding 7 day ago, 1 week aftermy BFP, which would have put me at exactly 5 weeks. The bleeding is very differnt than a regular AF with lots of tissue and clots, and heavier as well.

Just wondering how much I'm going to bleed? I'm still spotting, but its bright red, instead of brown like at the end of AF. I had a beta and ultrasound done yesterday. I just pray my beta is 0 or very close to it.

This sucks so very much. Thanks ladies. Especially those who know this pain.

14. iampam

iampam Active Member

I don't have any answers but *hugs* to you Nessa [​IMG] I hope it eases up soon.

15. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Hugs Nessa! Mine I usually had bleeding for up to two weeks and it was mostly a heavy period with some clots and cramping. I've also had some where it was exactly the same flow as a normal period but had clots. It will vary woman to woman, pregnancy to pregnancy. Hang in there!

16. Confused-Hasya

Nessa, I bled on and off for a month. It would stop, spot, bleed, stop, spot, bleed...

17. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Thank you ladies. The bleeding has pretty much stopped, and I'm on day 8. Only thing that has me concerned is that my bleeding rightt up until the end was still bright red, and not brown. I'm still waiting for my beta results from Tuesday. I'm praying they are zero. Never thought I would "hope" for my beta to be zero, but I just really want to put this behind me so we can start a new cycle and try again. I hope I ovulate this month, and hat the miscarriage did not mess up my cycle.

18. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

They've never really messed mine up before, just delayed my ovulation between 1-2 weeks while my hormones settled.

19. Confused-Hasya

Mine didn't get messed up either. My temps were a little funky the first cycle but that could have been because my thermometer was dying.

20. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

I'm so sorry to hear this Nessa. ((hugs))