Hormonal Contraception (pill etc) side effects ..

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Guest, Jan 20, 2007.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 that have free access to thousands of health related discussions.. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: WANNA SEE WHAT THE PILL CAN DO TO WOMEN LIKE YOU?

So how do we begin to tackle this problem of unwanted thoughts?
    You need a change of attitude. By a change in attitude, I mean a change in the way
    you react to the thoughts. This goes back to the idea of acceptance mentioned
    earlier. An attitude of acceptance quickly disarms the emotional reaction you have
    to the fearful thoughts. Once the emotional reaction has been significantly reduced,
    the unwanted anxious thoughts dissipate. In the past, you’ve probably tried to rid
    yourself of the thoughts by attempting to struggle free of them. The trick, however,
    is not to try to be free of them, but to accept them as they run through your mind.
    We can never fully control what goes through our minds, but we can
    control how we react to what goes on there. That’s the key difference between
    someone who gets caught up in fearful thinking and someone who does not.
    The thoughts that terrify us aren’t fueled by some unknown force; they are our
    own. We empower them and, equally, we dismiss them. When you have an
    uncomfortable thought you’d rather not be thinking, your first reaction is usually to
    tense up internally and say to yourself, “Oh no, I don’t like that idea. I don’t want
    that thought right now.” The very act of trying to push the thought away, and then
    † Wegner, D. M., Schneider, D. J., Carter, S., III, & White, L. (1987). Paradoxical effects of thought suppression.
    Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 58, 409–418.
    understandably getting upset when that doesn’t work, causes the thought to
    become more stuck to your psyche.
    It’s like saying to your mind over and over again, “Whatever you do, don’t think of
    pink elephants.” Guess what? You can’t get in a single thought that’s not related to
    pink elephants.
    As long as you struggle with the thought, your mind, like a bold child, keeps
    returning to it. This is not to say that your mind is maliciously working against you.
    It’s better to compare the mind to a radar scanner that picks up on thoughts with
    high levels of emotional reaction connected to them.
    To not react emotionally, learn to disempower the thought’s “fear factor” by
    accepting it and gently moving your attention back to what you were doing. Don’t
    hide from or push away the anxious thoughts.
    So take this example. Let’s say you have fear “X” going on in your mind. That fear
    can be virtually anything your mind might conceive. You know the thoughts aren’t a
    realistic fear, and you want them to stop interrupting your life.
    The next time the fearful thought comes to mind, don’t push it away. This is
    important.
    Tell yourself that that’s fine, that the thought can continue to play in your mind if it
    wishes, but you’re not going to give it much notice—and you’re certainly not going
    to qualify it by reacting with fear. You know in your heart that the thought is very
    unlikely to happen. You have a deeper sense of trust, and you won’t be emotionally
    tossed around all day by a thought. Say to yourself:
    Well, that thought/fear is a possibility, but it’s very remote—so
    whatever. Today I’m trusting that all is well.

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. quittingthepill

quittingthepill New Member

Bitter: Those photos are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing, its so good to see that you're doing well with the soon-to-be hubby. You guys really look great and so in love [​IMG]

Kim: there are definitely ways to tell if you're ovulating. One of them is charting your body temperature upon waking every day - its supposed to go up after ovulation. There are also many other indicators, here is a good list:
    http://www.whattoexpect.com/preconception/fertility/five-ways-to-tell-you-are-ovulating.aspx

Clark: The panic away stuff is REALLY helpful, thank you for posting it! I'm glad you seem to be doing slightly better, but don't give up! check out a woman in this thread from another board. Her post is the third post on this page. She comes back and updates every couple months with her experiences, (she quotes her old posts at the bottom of her new one) she has a full 9 month update here:
    http://www.steadyhealth.com/Feeling_depr...876.html?page=4

3. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

Thanks to everyone, if it was not for you all I would not be where I am today! YAY! I thought everyone deserved to see a little love! Happy Friday!!!!! [​IMG] I hope you all enjoy the weekend!!

whattodo89-Thanks a bunch:) If we can make it through it anyone can!!! I bought my supplements at a organic grocery store. They were out of the real stuff, I will try it next time! I do feel similar, nothing quite out of the ordinary might take a bit as they are the pills? My fiance is sick and I am not right now tho!! [​IMG]

4. Cheryl175

Cheryl175 New Member

Hey everyone...sorry it has been so long! I have been uber busy with Uni and work!

Things with me are going great atm...altho for the past couple nights in my dream I have been 'depressed' again! Odd...but lovely to wake up and realise it's just a dream.

Yeah long shot of the bf... have met someone else now and he is lovely. We talked about my pill issues and he was really understanding...he also said that he's had gf's in the past who were 'crazy' on the pill so that was reasurring!

So good to hear you guys feeling better...it's been almost 5 months for me now and I am feeling better than ever. Still anxious at times...altho I wonder whether my unhappy relationship was making me feel worse than I realised. But nethertheless...the more time i'm off the pill the better I am feeling...I hope this applies to you all.

I did have a period though...2 weeks later a week of heavy spotting and now 2 weeks on another period... Just this is just things settling down. I am seriously tempted by the copper IUD. I have read a few horror stories...but then again I think at 20 I need to just give it a go and if it doesn't work out at least I tried. Esp with a new bf (to be hopefully!) i really don't like condoms [​IMG] Anyone else tempted? I'm going to check out the thread in a bit.

Ladies who are still feeling down and that they will never get better...I felt exactly that way. My issues started in October...but after about 3 months off the pill things started to get better...little but often I would want to do stuff...enjoy things etc...Keep going...it's so easy to want to give up...I though I was stuck like it forever and shed soooo many tears.
    Where I would be without this forum I don't know! For those on fb it's good to see you all [​IMG] I spend much more time on there than here so keep posting and letting us know how you all are.

So proud of us all [​IMG] Keep smiling xxx

5. whattodo89

whattodo89 New Member

Clark- thanks for posting that! That is what i am struggling with, and what you wrote it so true but do you ever feel like if you start thinking like that as in when i have feelings that maybe i shouldn't be with my boyfriend that if i train my mind like that it will turn out like that?That realllly scares me....

On the other hand ladies, my little weekend getaway went good. was nice to be away and just relax and lazy around with my man. We had our talks again about this whole situation and he always reassures me and promises me that this will end, and we will be ok and he isn't going anywhere! Such an amazing man...i can't wait to marry him when all this goes away! For once i was feeling a bit intimate so i went with it but then after i did some research and i think i'm going to get the morning after pill...just to be sure. Havn't gotten my period yet since stopping the pill. It's been a month, but i don't know how long it takes to get out of your system so i don't want to run the risk for pregnancy!

Another long day i can tell, back to reality.

Cheryl- thanks for the reassurance that when we think it won't get better it will little by little! Almost 5 weeks off, and it's good to hear that 3 months after you started to get a bit better. i hope that's me as well!

6. whattodo89

whattodo89 New Member

p.s. i took a pregnancy test and it was negative, as well as the Plan B, gives me some peace! just in case.

and just wanted to let you ladies know how much it means to me talking to you guys, and reading all the posts and advice! I don't know what i'd do without this forum...sometimes i feel as if i'm getting annoying and repetative and i apologize if i am but just reading and talking to you guys gives me some hope and peace!

7. theringishell

theringishell New Member

I feel the same way! I was on the verge of having myself committed before I found this site. It seemed like noone knew what was happening to me. Hearing from women that arent being paid to pump me full of drugs was such a relief! Thank you all

Anna

8. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

I am still taking the colostrum, I don't feel any difference in anything? I do know that my fiance is sick with a chest cold, pretty bad, I however don't have it? I usually get sick very easily, if others are sick.

I had a very stressful weekend, my brother and his family came to visit who has the worst behaved children on the planet. Left a huge mess behind, so I have been in quite a mood the past few days, I am glad they are gone. I am also looking forward to getting back to my routine in the mornings, as I feel guilty for being so off lately. So as of late, been quite grouchy:( I think it's due to stress tho?

I don't use my period tracker anymore, due to my iphone crapping out so I am not sure when my period is due! Ahhhh, I guess I will have to find another way to track it!

I dislike Mondays! lol:)

Hope you are all well today!

9. AlyssTG9

AlyssTG9 New Member

Hey ladies!

I'm 5 DAYS off the pill lol since all of you have months on me. I'm going to see my gyno on Thursday to talk about what I should expect and when I should get my period. We're also going to talk about other nonhormonal methods of birth control, but surprisingly enough, using condoms has worked and actually been great for my boyfriend and I. He uses Lifestyles Skyn: http://www.lifestyles.com/products/skyn/
    Pretty freakin' good! When we first started dated, he used Trojans, but I didn't really like them. But these are amazing!

Clark - How are you doing with your bioidentical hormones?

Cheryl - You may want to check skyn if you're looking for a good condom. I thought about the IUD too, but the horror stories scared the crap out of me.

Whattodo - How long have you been off the pill? Did you get an estimated time to expect it from your doctor? I'm curious to see what my doctor says on Thursday.

How's everyone feeling?

- Alyssa

10. theringishell

theringishell New Member

Day 12 ring free wasnt as bad as the rest still a little out of it. Slowly recovering. A little anxiety and depression still. Still dont want to leave my house. Withdraw bleeding stopped finally now just playing it day by day! Thank goodness for this site and all you wonderful people.

Alyssa- My doctor told me that most of my hormones would be gone in about two weeks and that by the end of my next period (after withdrawl bleeding) I should be producing hormones in the right ammount again. This was for the ring though.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

hey ladies--
    how is everyone doing ?????

------hey alyssa
    i have been 2 weeks on bio-prog. today i have had some wonderfully normal moments where it almost seems as if this crap is a distant memory ! wow ! if that feeling could just last and last............

i did start my period 2 days late and not sure if it is cause of the bio-prog ?? not too concerned as it has not really regulated since going off bc anyways.

i may have already explained this so bear with me. the way i take the bio-prog is suppose to mimick the ups and downs of your normal progest. so days 14-28 i take 2 pills. then day 1 and 2 no pill (which is when i am suppose to get period) then days 3-13 1 pill.

now the 2 days with no pill i only spotted , then the day of 1 pill is when i actually started. so there is a bit of confusion for me. so i am gonnna call tomorrow and just check if that is the norm.

overall i can feel a differance. it is not an earth shattering diff yet, but a differance for the better. and i beleive that it will continue to get better.

i deff needed this kick in the hormones.
    --------------------

how does everyone think they are at to feeling 100 % back to their old selves ????

mine still can vary. today was good and i can say i felt about 80 % there.

other days i feel in the 70- 75 % range which can be frustrating.
    ---------------

welcome to the forum theringishell !

12. Guest

Guest Guest

great pics B !

congrats again !

13. DaniBear

DaniBear Member

Kerbear- I was first prescribe metformin in 2008 and never took them consistently because they always made me so sick. I am just this month starting to take them consistently. I hope they help.

Clark- Thanks so much for posting that help info for unwanted thoughts. It has been helpful. I am also happy that you have had some "normal" feeling moments...aren't they perfect?

I never started the prometrium. And I don't plan on it. I have read some horror stories online-that, mind you, sounds eerily similar to what we all are going through--uh, no thanks!

The doctor called and told me that she got my lab work back and my thyroid and all that were fine. She told me that my blood work showed that I haven't recently ovulated so it would be safe for me to take the prometrium for 10 days. I didn't take it and two days later I started my period on my own YAY! Even though, I admit, I have been a grumpy mess.
    Now I just hope it ends naturally. If not, huge problem. As the doctor also told me that my blood work showed that I am already anemic. Last time, I had to get a blood transfusion from a long cycle and it also started this whole birth control mess in the first place. You would think have just one period in about a six month span, I would not be anemic?

Oh yea, I would say that I am about 70% better. Some times, maybe more, sometimes less.

14. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys! I know you're all still using this topic, but it's getting reaaalllllly long so I'm going to lock and archive it and start a new one, just keep posting!