Hormonal Contraception (pill etc) side effects ..

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by Guest, Jan 20, 2007.

1. whattodo89

whattodo89 New Member

Re: WANNA SEE WHAT THE PILL CAN DO TO WOMEN LIKE YOU?

can someone explain this Colostrum that everyone's talking about? What is it and where can i get it?

2. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

Ask Novi, she knows!

I will be taking a supplement form, she is taking the natural organic version.

3. quittingthepill

quittingthepill New Member

Yeah, novi is a colostrum expert! if you click on her name you can send her a private message about it [​IMG]

Bitter - I will LOVE to hear about your experience TTC and getting pregnant! I've been wondering what being pregnant will do to us post-pill girls. I don't plan on getting pregnant til I'm at least 26-30 years old (I'm 20 now) but I think about it a lot as in, "what will it do to my hormones" and "will I get post-partum" etc! Good luck! And when is the wedding?

question - have any of the ladies here tried supplementing with magnesium?

4. skb

skb New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been off of the pill for over a week now (2 weeks since I took the last one minus my cycle week). I've had HORRIBLE headaches. Most are right at the front of my head between my eyebrows. I do get allergies and with the weather change I thought that was what it could be but these are unlike anything I've experienced. Sometimes I can't keep my own eyes open or get blurred vision in one of my eyes. Has anyone else had this side effect and if so how long did it take to go away?? I have read that this is a problem for people stopping the pill so any advice would be great (medication that worked, other forms of treatment etc)

Thanks!

5. whattodo89

whattodo89 New Member

Hey skb
    Today is my month off the pill.. the first 2 weeks i have suuuuch bad headaches! i took tylenol 1000mg and it barely knocked it out...i also thought it might have been from dehydration so i made sure i kept my fluid intake up! My right eye was also blurry for a bit, it was so annoying but honestly for me there was nothing that i could do but wait [​IMG] now it's better, no more blurriness and i will get occasional headaches but nothing like before...

6. kerbear

kerbear New Member

Kammy,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry that it has to be for something like this but glad you found us. The anxiety is, for me, the WORSE part of this experience, I am over 6 months off BC now and I can tell you that it definitely gets better over time if you do decide to quit. I am nowhere near as pitiful, lost, and confused as I was in the beginning of this disaster. Feel free to come on here and vent or ask for advice, we are all here to help you.

Dani Bear,

That doctor sounds like well-paid, inconsiderate, idiot. Why she feels the need to refer to people that refuse to put synthetics in their body as "rebellious" is crazy. We weren't made to put things like this in our bodies to begin with. Good job on standing your ground!!! I think maybe you should try a different doc. When were you diagnosed with PCOS? I have had PCOS for almost 5 years now. Let me know if there are any questions you have that I may be able to help you out with.

Novi,

I love that you bring up this question! I sometimes wonder if pregnancy would help as well or possibly make it worse. When I was first diagnosed with PCOS my doctor told me that once I got pregnant the PCOS "could" go away because of the influx of progesterone. My boyfriend and I have been talking about having children in the near future. We both feel we are ready to have kids together sometime soon, but right now I am so out of whack from these hormones I don't know if now is the right time to try.

I'm interested in your avoidance of sugar. When you eat sugar do you get anxiety from it? or other symptoms? Because I definitely have a problem with sugar, I can't seem to stop eating at least a little bit of something sweet once a day.

Bitter B*tch,

Congrats on the wedding, and I wish you luck on TTC! Hopefully the colostrum will work for you as well as it did for Novi.

7. kerbear

kerbear New Member

Kimberjean,

Congrats on the no migraines for that long, that is awesome! My boyfriend gets migraines, and it's terrible because there's nothing I can do for him. I hope this break from migraines continues for you. And its good to hear you have been feeling better lately.

8. DaniBear

DaniBear Member

Quitting and Kimber, thanks a lot for the encouragement. And yes, I figured the prometrium was just another of their hormonal miracle pills.

OMIGOSH Kimber, when you said she sounds "brainwashed", I LOL'd. I swear, through our whole hour and a half appointment, she sounded soooo---let's see, fake? Yes! She sound as if she was reading from a text book. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. I told myself, well, if I did this everyday all day, I would probably sound generic myself. But the way she was pushing her drugs, totally killed it. And yea, your review of prometrium sure does give me some insight...considering you also had this whole bcp nightmare.

I really feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will not give up, however. These past 5 months has showed me exactly what I am fighting for, in general life. I will NEVER let something like this defeat me. There has to be a way.

Also, I have been reading and trying to play catch up, the colostrum theory sounds really interesting. I may give it a try. I would like the colostrum straight from the mama cow, though lol. I live in Texas where you think I would be around tons of farms but I am not. Hmm, I will have to look more into it. Thanks Novi for the advice.

Oh yea, Novi, it's funny you say that about the pregnancy thing because yesterday, I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound the doctor was showing me my uterus and ovaries and such. I was hoping that at any moment, she would say- "oh look! there's a baby!"....wasn't my lucky day though lol.

9. novi

novi New Member

Well maybe, Dani, you can be our first guinea pig in the baby situation. :) Now get to work!! LOL

Sure would be interesting to know... as we accumulate ideas for kick-starting our systems back to normal... it may be worth starting a thread for specifically those things.

10. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

I will be 29 in September, wow I don't feel 29! lol, the wedding is the end of November so I am sure shortly after that I will be getting pregnant! So yes, I will keep you all posted on that situation, when it comes:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

11. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

On another note, I took one colostrum last night and one this morning so far! I will take another one today, later in the day as it says you should take two a day.

As well, they have the real thing at the organic food store here, but they were out:( Maybe people are finding out about this?

I seem to be fine today! I drank a bottle of wine in the hottub last night sooooo I missed my workout this morning, but hey you have to live a little:)

12. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

Thanks a bunch, it was a rough year with my horomone craziness, but I think he is definately thee one as he can't handle me like that:) lol, I really hope the colostrum works, I feel okay but I would like to feel freakin fantastic!!! I just learned to use the quick quote, as man it's hard to keep up with you all:)

13. DaniBear

DaniBear Member

Hey Kerbear! Sorry I missed responding to you earlier--I am so behind and trying to catch up.

Let's see, I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2008. Two years after the birth of my daughter. I do have a question. Every doctor I have seen since 2008 has told me that I "need" to be on birth control to help me with pcos. I understand why they feel that way but I just don't buy it. And after giving it a try, and failing miserably, I have absolutely no intentions of trying them again. Anyway, since you have pcos, what are you using to help with this condition? If you have already stated this information in a previous post, I do apologize in advance lol. Thanks for your help.

Hahaha Novi, I would love to be the guinea pig in the baby making department but unfortunately, I have fertility issues due to pcos. Maybe one of the other ladies will take the position? LOL

Bitter, I didn't know that I could possibly find colostrum in an organic store.. I will have to look into that.

14. kerbear

kerbear New Member

Dani Bear,

I too was told I needed to be on BC when I was diagnosed. I was on it prior to being diagnosed and when I stopped was when my symptoms for PCOS started (I am interested to know if BC was maybe what caused me to have it in the first place). Once I was diagnosed I was put back on BC (Estrostep) and Metformin 500mg 3x a day. I also drastically changed my diet (low carb) and exercised 4-5 days a week. During the first two months I dropped 18 pounds, pretty crazy huh. I was by no means overweight but I always had that little extra that I could never get rid of. I felt good with the metformin, it messed up my stomach at first but once I got used to it I was fine. The only other thing I can say that may be a downside to it is that it can make you thirsty. The estrostep on the other hand was terrible, it made my face break out sooooooo bad. So after 3 months on that I switched to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, that didn't work too well for me either, and then I was switched to Yaz. This was the breaking point for me, Yaz made me irritable and made me have no sex drive at all, including absolutely NO sensation down there. So this was when I stopped BC altogether 4 years ago. I can honestly say the BC did not help keep my cysts away when I was on it. I kept getting them while I was on all of these BC's. After that I just kept a close eye on my diet, I was BC free (until 13 months ago, which going back on was in no way related to PCOS) but continued to take Metformin 3x a day. For the next 3 years I only had one or two bouts with cysts, I still battle with excess hair a bit, but it is controllable, the acne was a problem for a while but it died down once I started eating healthier and taking b vitamins with zinc. I am now only taking Metformin once a day and have not had any problems with reoccuring cysts. I personally like the metformin, if you google you will find more good things about it than bad. But if you would like to treat it naturally with no drugs, I have heard that people have had success with using the vitamin Inositol. Also many doctors have found a link between PCOS and a Vit D deficiency. So if you aren't already supplementing with vitamin D I would recommend it. I take 4000/mg a day in liquid capsule form. You are supposed to take Vit D with the fattiest meal of the day, fat helps your body absorb it properly. I think the most important thing is diet and exercise though, try to eat healthy; complex carbs instead of white, limit your sugar and alcohol (this is so hard for me!), and try to do 30 min of exercise 4-5 days a week.

Even throughout this past hormonal disaster (been off BC 6 months) the metformin has kept away the cysts. Now it may not work as well for you as it has for me, but I would definitely recommend giving it a try if you aren't too against using synthetic medicine (its inexpensive too!). There is a time released kind as well, but I seemed to like the non timed release better.

I hope this helps you!

15. DaniBear

DaniBear Member

Thanks a lot Kerbear!

I am on Metformin 750mg twice a day. I have yet to stick to it consistently. They switched me to the extended release and I still feel bad. I know that I have to take it so I am now sticking to it and hoping that this nausea will pass.

Do you eat lettuce while taking metformin? I tried one time when I was still taking the regular metformin and lets just say that it was NOT pretty. I want to try lettuce again while taking the extended release to see if it will still cause stomach issues. I LOVE salads and as you know, witch pcos, salads are one of the safest foods to eat.

I am so happy you reminded me about the vitamin D. I read an article last year about the pcos and vitamin D link. I meant to have my levels checked and never did. Do you think the liquid form would be better than the pill form?

Again, thanks so much for your help!

16. Bitter B*tch

Bitter B*tch New Member

I noticed that I kept getting bad headaches after going off the pill, behind my left ear? Then I had a killer migrane about 3 weeks ago, it was crippling! I never put the two together, my Mom thinks it had to do with my heart (left side) she is a nurse. I still have to go for a doctor physical, I found the best thing was liquid extra strength advil, it was the quickest for me:) Congrats on your ONE MONTH [​IMG]!!!!

17. quittingthepill

quittingthepill New Member

What are the symptoms you got for PCOS/how would I know if I have it?

18. whattodo89

whattodo89 New Member

hey betterb*tch: Thanks for the advice!! Last night i had another bad migraine...couldnt' wait to go to sleep to knock it out! Let me know what happens when you have your physical.

Ladies, as i am currently stressed out doing an essay due in a couple hours...i am totally OCD'ing about my boyfriend again! I've been ok these past couple days, not to bad, still lingering. Now i just feel sick and i want it to go awaaaaay! I want to love like i used to...ughhhhhh any words of wisdom? I love my boyfriend so much!

19. kerbear

kerbear New Member

Dani Bear,

I so know what you mean for with the lettuce. I can eat salads now with no problem but I am only on it 500mg a day. I did used to have a problem eating baby greens (spinach, arugula, etc) but I think my stomach did okay eating iceberg and romaine (which I know do not carry the nutritional value of the others). I think it can take a month or so for your body to get used to the medication and the time released is supposed to be easier on your stomach, although I didn't notice much of a difference.

BC messed up my stomach worse than the metformin though, how long have you been off, it could still be playing havoc on your digestive system.

One thing that could also be helping my stomach function properly while taking metformin could be that I take New Chapter Organics Once a Day for Her and the B Food Complex which both are formulated with probiotics.

How long have you been on the Meformin so far???

Whattodo89,

Try not to let the OCD thoughts take over, you are stressed out right now so your thought system is not functioning properly. When you are in a low mood all of your thoughts will be negative so try your best to dismiss them. Anxiety will only get worse if you continue to feed these thoughts, its a vicious cycle. It is very hard to do but try to calm yourself by telling yourself this is just anxiety NOT you. Once you've accepted that the thoughts should start to calm down. And this may sound crazy but try to not think, OCD is pretty much overthinking, distract yourself, try to be "in the moment" as opposed to thinking about everything in the past or the future.

Hope this helps you! Good luck on your essay! And don't worry the love is still there for your boyfriend, the anxiety is just getting in the way of you feeling it.

Kerry

20. novi

novi New Member

Whattodo: I agree with Kerbear.

Just know that this chemical imbalance is not the true "you." Accept that it's not under your control AT THIS MOMENT. Keep in perspective that it will one day be over and you can be at peace. I never thought mine would end, but I did figure out a solution that worked for me.

And sometimes, you just need to say to your boyfriend, "i need you to tell me how much you love me, even though i already know it in my heart, but i can't seem to get the stupid @$#%^@ out of my head." and if he's worth his salt he'll be happy to re-enforce that he loves you. then one day when you feel better you might own him a few get out of jail free cards. lol