Homemade Baby Food

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by gutterflower, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

My DS will be 6 months in a few days and I want to make him home made baby food.

I need some ideas and tips on how to do it.....like after I boil the sweet potatoes do I let them cool before putting it into the food processor then freezing it???

Just any tips and advice would be wonderful [​IMG]

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Hi gutter. I am actually kind of proud of the fact that I haven't bought a single item of baby food for Piper! I usually make only enough for a couple of days, so I don't have much info on freezing. This site has been really helpful, and I copied the link from the 'freezing' section: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/FreezePage.htm

For stuff like sweet potatoes, you won't even need the food processor--just another utensil you'd have to clean. I bake the sweet potatoes till it's soft, and then cut in half and scrap out the insides into a couple of reusable serving bowls. Its all mushy, so you won't have to bother with the processor. Same with squash. I use cinnamon to flavor. Its one of Piper's favorite meals.

Other first foods I gave to Piper were avocado and banana. My mom made homemade applesauce for her...another smashing hit!

Other foods: homemade veggie soup, steamed veggies, oatmeal.

3. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Thanks DG!! I'm sooo excited to get started, just have to go out and buy a few items to get started. I have never tried avocado, guess i could give it a go along with Jasper, hehe!! That's link really helped, thanks hun!

4. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

A tinnny bit off topic here, but my mother in law and I were having this discussion just the other day; about foods Sofie will eat when I wean her off the breast. She makes, THE BEST homemade refried beans, and I was wondering if any soft food is okay to feed them?? I figure since baby food is pretty up mushed up carrots, green beans, veggies in general, wouldn't any soft food be okay for baby to eat?? Or am I waaay naive here in my thinking?? ALSO, can baby eat baby food, and breastmilk?? Or one of the other only??

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Nessa, yes, the baby can eat food and breastmilk. Definitely, for as long as you want. Piper still nurses throughout the day, and also eats food for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I'm not planning to wean for at least a year, probably won't even think about it until Piper's at least 18 months.

In fact, babies don't even digest solids for a while, so you'll need to give Sofia breastmilk or formula with solids until she's at least 12 months. It is pretty obvious, based on the poop, that they aren't digesting the foods very well...what goes in pretty much goes out looking exactly the same!

I think refried beans would be fine...if there's alot of lard or oil in the beans, you may not want that to be one of her FIRST foods, but otherwise, go for it!

Yum, I would love some delicious refried beans right now!!!

6. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

My MIL makes a ton of homemade mexican food, which is to die for!!! Its her native country. Im happy Sofie will be able to grow up exposed to the culture.

I will keep that in mind. I will try and introduce the beans a while after her first solids. I imagine bean poop will stink pretty good too!!

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yeah, ew, solids poop is stinky, no matter what. Nothing like the breastmilk smell...but, it is easier to clean up! Haha, she'll have stinky loud bean farts too.

Oh, and I wanted to mention that cooked beans are excellent! Like, if your MIL set aside some mashed beans before she added the lard or whatnot, that would be really good for Sofia. You can mix with a little breastmilk for moisture...they would probably cause some gas, but we've feed pinto and kidney beans to Piper, and it's never been a big deal.

8. gardengrl

gardengrl Member

I made only fed my youngest homemade baby food. (You always learn after the first child…Poor first child) I used to steam everything and then puree. You can add breast milk or some of the steaming water if the food is too thick. I would wait until it cooled and freeze it in ice cube trays for single servings. You made me remember how I loved to pick up fresh stuff from the farmers market. Enjoy it

9. margiepargie

margiepargie New Member

My mum told me that when I was weening she would made 3 sunday dinners. One for her, one for dad and one for me. Mine would be left to cool and then liquidised. She'd portion it up into baby-sized bowls and frozen. They'd be defrosted when needed and gently heated in a saucepan. I apparently snarfed them down and I never once had constipation or diarrhoea (unlike my mum's friends babies who were fed processed jarred food)

10. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Member

I know I am a long time away from needing this info but what about meats n chicken? how do you prepare this for baby?

11. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Ambrosia, you can use a food processor or baby chopper thing to puree meats too. Cook it as you would for yourself (babies can handle spices too), and just puree it. When you're baby is ready, you can also just chop meat up in small pieces. We don't give P too much meat at this time because I prefer to give her organic foods, and my hubby just won't spend the $$ on good meats. She gets her protein from other sources, cottage cheese, beans, etc., where I can buy organic without an issue.

12. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

just a side note, if you're using the steaming water to puree with I've heard that you shouldn't keep the water from certain foods (I'm pretty sure potatoes are on that list), because they can form compounds after boiling that the baby can't digest well. It was in one of the babyfood making classes that Toronto Public Health teaches, I'll see if I can dig up the website.

13. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

14. jasmineflower

jasmineflower New Member

this is an old post, but maybe it can others if they also want tips....

Oatmeal is something I started giving my son at 6 months, 2x a day. In the morning I would mash a banana with a fork. Add warm milk. Add oatmeal. Mix

Second time I would mix the oatmeal with a berry/apple mix I would mix in the food processor. I would peel the apples, roughly chop, throw in. Then add in rinsed rasberries, blueberries, blackberries(whatever berries I found organic at that time). I would put them in 2 oz plastic containers and freeze them. (The night before I always took one out and put in the fridge to thaw for the next day)

Sweet potatoes I would steam 'cause when boiling you would lose a lot of the great properties. You can mash them as well, but I would just throw them in a little cooled in the food processor and just add a little bottled water for the "first solid foods" to get the consistency I wanted. Later on I started adding spinach to the potatoes before food processing it. They wilted with the heat of the potatoes so I didn't have to cook them.

Steamed carrots with chopped parsley...food processor that. Cube it and freeze it.

Steamed sweet peas and edamame...food processor that and cube and freeze.

15. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

16. msjackiedt

msjackiedt New Member

I bake the sweet potatoes, wrap in foil and bake.... they come out great.

17. Anthony01

Anthony01 New Member

I am preparing some boiled potatoes,cereals with milk,fruits mix up with milk cream in small pieces and other soft food stuff as well.
    Yes I got good idea of not boiling the potatoes to avoid nutritional values.

18. steevennsmithh

steevennsmithh New Member

homemade baby food, is cereals with milk dry fruit mix up with milk in small pieces is good stuff of your baby.