Home Canning, anyone?

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by HWG#2, Jun 25, 2011.

1. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Hi all,

I am just getting to home canning. I am quite proficient at jam/jelly as these are not too difficult. I am getting ready to begin tomatoes once my garden starts producing and will be purchasing a pressure canner for that.

My question, for any ol' pros out there, is about making my own pre-cooked meals/sauces. I would like to use my existing receipes for a Spagetti Sauce (with meat), Chile Verde, Chili beans, etc. The Ball Canning guide I have warns against using your own receipes, but I don't really like theres (for these type products).

I welcome any experiences and tips on this topic! I am really excited at the prospect of having a supply of my favorite foods ready to go for those busy days that cooking from scratch is out of the question.

2. GPH

GPH Member

When canning tomato juice (for soup) or sauce (no meat), I do what my grandma has always done. This doesn't apply for things with meat in it though. I have the juice/sauce at a boil, the jars and lids hot as well. Then I simply pour the jars full of the hot tomato product, wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings and tighten down. You'll hear them pop as they seal, like with jam/jelly.

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I'm not a canning expert (I've just done peaches and applesauce), but my mom and I have been freezing. That's always another option for some of the meat items that you're not sure about.

4. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Thanks GPH-that's exactly what I do with jam as well.

dg-good idea! I know freezing actually preserves the nutrients better than canning as well. I love the idea of not having to de-frost things, but I also want the food to be as safe/healthy as possible.

I really want to build a stockpile of pre-cooked meals while I am pregnant so the first few months are not so stressful.