For IUD Users, Past, Present, and Potential

Discussion in 'IUDs' started by GreenTea, Apr 27, 2008.

1. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

Seeking the opinions of all who participate, or expect to participate, in discussions of IUD's on here:

I notice that the IUD Q&A thread is at nearly 600 posts. In the past, threads that got that long have been closed and archived. If we do this with the current IUD thread, anyone who wishes will be welcome to start a new one and continue the discussion. I would like to ask the opinions of those who participate in the IUD thread before doing so, however.

And who thinks an IUD subforum would be a good idea? I believe we have at least as much interest in the IUD as in natural birth control and centchroman, both of which have their own subforums. I have opened a discussion among the moderators on this, and while no one has voiced any opposition, responses have been slow (sometimes, that's the case, and perhaps it being a weekend has something to do with it!). If any of you like the idea (or dislike it, for that matter), I'm asking your opinions, too.

2. marisol

marisol New Member

I just got my Flexi-T in the mail from Canada today! Scheduled for installment on the 9th! Very excited and nervous. Anyone else have the Flexi-T? The packaging is pretty cool in that you can totally see it, but it looks enormous!

3. Phantom

Phantom Member

I don't honestly participate in a lot of the discussions about IUD's but I do occasionally. I think an IUD subforum would be a good idea, then people could ask questions and maybe they could be found a bit more easily instead of sorting through 600 posts.

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Sure, I'll read and post in an IUD subforum. I have the Paragard IUD, and I did briefly see it in its packaging. It is large!

5. marisol

marisol New Member

Oh! I see. This is just a query as to a sub-forum, not the sub-forum itself. Duh. Well, obviously I would be quite interested, and think it's a fab idea.

6. mummyof2

mummyof2 New Member

Hello ladies,
    I am new to this site, I came across this as I was looking for some advide on IUD'S and found this site very interesting. I had mine fitted approx 3 weeks ago(10 year one) I have had a period since, a very painful and heavy one! I came off my period about a week ago and I have been spotting the last few days. I am just wondering if this is normal? A friend of mine has told me that this will calm down as the IUD needs to get used to my body. I have had discharge aswell but its not smelly or anything. Just wondering if this light bleeding is normal. Any advice would be appricated.
    thank u very much
    xx

7. demon-dolly

demon-dolly New Member

Bleeding, spotting, and cramping are all normal for the first while. As for how long, it is different with everyone....you may notice that your periods become heavier too.

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yes, I would say extra discharge is normal for the first couple of months with the iud. I remember having more than usual at first, especially the week following my period. I don't have that problem any more--I've had the iud for just over a year now. I do have more cramping and slightly heavier--but not longer--periods with it.

9. CM10

CM10 New Member

I would really appreciate a subforum on IUDs...

10. kattchi

kattchi New Member

i think a subforum would be a great idea. i have had an IUD for the past year and found this site and the IUD thread very useful when deciding if this was the right contraceptive for me. As the thread is so long though it is difficult to find specific information on it so a subforum would be a great help

11. Tarsia

Tarsia New Member

A subforum sounds like a good idea to me as well.

12. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Consider it done! With dolly & I as mods (yay!). Feel free to ask us questions, and let us know if any irritating spam pops up!

13. cwood0021

cwood0021 New Member

He everyone,

I have had the Mirena for 4 years, I got it put in after my third child was born. For the past month I have been spotting a dark maroon color, cramping, my breast are tender, and this morning I threw up (frothy emesis). I took a HPT two weeks ago that came up negative and found out today that the IUD can give a false negative. I am freeking out!!!! I already have three children ages 4, 5, 6, and I am a full time nursing student. I got pregnant twice taking the pill and am really concerned that my choice in birth control has failed me once again!
    I don't need to be pregnant at this time in my life but if I am it will be okay. I am just mostly concerned about my health and safety and the health and safety of the baby if it does turn out that I am pregnant. Does anyone have any advice they can share? I know I need to go to the dr. but another complication there I don't have insurance! I have contacted my PCP and explained what is going on and am waiting to hear instructions on where I need to go from there. All I can do is hope and pray.

14. Raunchy-Row

Hi cwood,
    Sorry to hear you're having a rough time! I would definitely say considering the emesis and spotting, plus your other symptoms, that you should go in and be assessed by an OB/GYN. If it does turn out you're pregnant they'll need to take the IUD out as far as I know and the earlier they do that, the better! I wouldn't wait too long for that--maybe a state-funded family planning clinic? Take another HPT as well if you can't get in right away--but the very best thing to do is to go in and have them do a hormone test from bloodwork.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.!

15. cwood0021

cwood0021 New Member

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to say thank you to Rowanthe for the reply. I went yesterday for blood work and I am NOT pregnant [​IMG] All though we're not so sure why I'm having the other symptoms. My husband and I have been discussing having my IUD removed since I've had it for four years I know its supposed to be good for five and just recently the ARNP at my local health dpt. says it's good for seven who knows. But can anyone tell me how long it takes before you start having a ministerial cycle after one is removed? We're still planning on waiting a bit before we have another baby but I have to admit I was a little disappointed and my husband said he was kind of hoping I was too.
    (I thought that was sweet) Hope you all the best and if any one knows the answer to my ? I would like to know.

16. Raunchy-Row

As far as I know with a copper IUD your period should be normal from the get-go, give it a month or two? With the Mirena it might take a month or so but is "supposed" to not cause any issues with your cycle after it's out. Certainly not longer than month or two, I would think.

That said, though, if you're NOT trying to have a baby I would use protection as soon as the IUD is out because you never never know! [​IMG]
    Good luck!

17. sthrngirl

sthrngirl New Member

Hello everyone! I think it would be great to have a forum and subforum for IUD's. I have actually read most of the past archived ones when I was debating on taking mine out. I believe in the IUD 100%. I had my first one after I had my son in 99 and it was for a year. I then decided that I liked it so much that I had the paraguard put in and had it for 7 years before deciding to have another baby. Once again after I had my second I decided I would try the Mirena, big NO NO for someone who has hormone problems, so I had it taken out and had another Paraguard placed. Well 3 years later here I am, I had that one removed and now I am pregnant with my 3rd baby! After I have this baby I will definetly have another Paraguard placed, it is so much easier than the pill, shot, foams, condoms, rings, and anything else that may be used.

18. Raunchy-Row

[​IMG] Hi sthrngirl!
    We have a subforum, you're in it! Welcome [​IMG] Glad to hear something positive about the Paraguard! Mine is working well for me, too!

19. MissAngela88

MissAngela88 New Member

When I was 15, I started using the copper IUD as everything hormonal just made me crazy/sick.

The IUD gave me really intense cramping to the point where I couldn't sleep and would sometimes have to miss work/school. However, the doctors said it was mostly used by women who already had children, so maybe my cervix needed more time than most to adjust. I would say after I year I got to a point where everything was peachy.
    However, I got a new boyfriend, and he is quite large. When we had sex he would sometimes hit my cervix, then I would get a huge pain and have to stop. We kind of worked around it for a while but when we got married I decided I shouldn't be dealing with pain, especially since I'll be sleeping with this man for a while. [​IMG]
    So, I took it out, then tried to find the right pill for over a year. When that was still making me sick and crazy, I found out about the Lady Comp, then the great forum about it on here! I've been using that so far, so good!

If you are considering trying an IUD I would say go for it, give it a try, but make sure you asses all of the pro's and con's, as the IUD has some pretty serious cons.

20. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

I just got my second Paraguard in a few weeks ago. Had a baby inbetween this one and the last one! Placement was a breeze, bled a few days afterwards, but haven't noticed it since! Haven't had a period yet, but I'm breastfeeding, so who knows when that will show up.