Flossing toddler's vs your teeth

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Confused-Hasya, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

How many of you floss your teeth regularly and how many of you floss your toddler's?

I floss mine sometimes, but I have never flossed my toddler's. Brushing her teeth twice a day is a big achievement for me and when her dentist tells me to floss her teeth, I feel like punching her. Are you kidding me? I am supposed to hold her down with which hand while I use 2 to floss her with?

I told my dentist that I can't open my jaw wide enough to floss regularly without jaw pain. I have a small and cramped jaw.

2. TDG

TDG New Member

Have you tried those floss pic things? They work well for small mouths--mine is tiny(they make kid size too). My kids(B and E) enjoy flossing. Its kind of weird. lol. I floss myself daily and the kids(not W yet) every few days when I remember. I should do it more but its such a crazy rush to get 3 lil people ready in the am/pm and I get lazy. haha.

3. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I don't floss mine near as much as I should and I have yet to floss Olivia's. When she was at the dentist a few weeks ago they said she still has good separation between her teeth so it's not quite a necessary and they didn't even floss them, but they would like us to start getting into the habit. They recommended using those floss pick things which I think would be much easier for a toddler than trying to shove a hand in there. I keep meaning to get some but continue to forget so I haven't actually tried them yet. I finally got her to let me brush without a huge fight most times, so I'm not quite ready to start something like flossing (which I'm sure would lead to more fighting) just yet!

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Target sells child-sized floss pick things. I'd try those. Though I'm a regular flosser, I have no compulsion to floss P's teeth--she's got all of her teeth in, but huge spaces in between. Flossing will be a battle for later. Actually, my mom does buy packages of those floss picks, and P will use them in imitation and does a dang good job on her own. Try the mini ones.