Femcap/diaphragm

Discussion in 'Contraception' started by kikimezza, May 13, 2007.

1. jala

jala New Member

I have used a diaphragm for over 23 years now and was successful in planning my family of 4 children. My last pregnancy was 14 years ago we have sex three times a week and I always wear my D.
    I was 80mm when first fitted and now after my four vaginal deliveries 100mm. If used carefully it is a reliable method.

2. iampam

iampam Active Member

Better take good care of that 100mm diaphragm, it's going to be pretty tough to get a replacement.

3. bottlepink

bottlepink New Member

I'm in the US and considering a barrier method. I see that a lot of you are buying these online. Does anyone have experience with submitting this to insurance companies? I'm wondering what would be covered - the fitting, the device, the spermicide, hopefully everything!

4. iampam

iampam Active Member

I think it varies a lot from insurance to insurance, you'll have to call yours or look at your statement of benefits to see. I would think the fitting would at least be covered, but I don't know. You can probably combine it with a pap smear or something, that's what I did.

5. danibart

danibart New Member

I am in US, I got my diaphragm a couple of years ago through my OBGYN. I just paid for office visit, (I have $40.00 copay) no extra fee for the fitting. I went to Longs (now CVS), they had to order it but had it in 4 days. The cost was $7.00. So $47.00 total for me but it was fitted which you must do in order to get the right size.
    Spermicides are NOT covered by insurance (at least mine does not cover it but I would not think any would). Most insurance companies cover birth control and a diaphragm is considered BC.
    Considering that it lasts two years and you only have to buy spermicides, it is very affordable.
    Planned Parenthood would have it too, they offer fees on a sliding scale basis.

6. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

If your insurance covers contraception, it should cover the fitting and the device. It wouldn't cover spermicide because that's sold over the counter. And depending on your insurance plan, it may cover only part of the cost.

7. april1212

april1212 New Member

Hey everyone!

I am currently using a diaphragm and have been thinking about switching to FemCap because I find the diaphragm a bit uncomfortable.

How has everyone found the FemCap? Is it as reliable as the diaphragm? Worth switching over?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

8. Cheryl175

Cheryl175 New Member

I've quit the pill due to the horrible depression and really need to start thinking about some other form on contraception...
    Can anyone give me an idiots guide to the Femcap/dia?
    Any problems?

BCP has sent me to emotional hell...I'm reluctant to try anything at all and just stick to condoms...although they are not ideal are they ladies! xx

9. iampam

iampam Active Member

The best place to get started is the Diaphragms and Caps Yahoo group: groups.yahoo.com/group/DiaphragmsAndCaps

Once you join, check out their posted documents and read past emails. Lots of good information.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

10. iampam

iampam Active Member

I haven't bought a FemCap before, but I would be really cautious about getting one without a fitting. A lot of people need a different size than what the manufacturer suggests, and having a good fit is crucial to it working properly.

11. crispy_lettuce

crispy_lettuce New Member

I found my femcap and spermicide through buyspermicide.com they also do diaphragms there. Not sure what happens on the shipping price to Canada though.

12. beyond

beyond New Member

Just wanted to add my experience with the Femcap for those considering it...

Reason for Purchase

I've been looking at these forums for the past two weeks after accidentally realizing that hormonal birth control was majorly exacerbating my fibromyalgia and having concerns about triggering genetic hair loss. Unhappy with condoms (lack of sensation, dries me out) and allergic to the Today Sponge (allergic to nonoxynol-9), the Femcap sounded like a decent option. I'm used to using the NuvaRing, so I thought perhaps the Femcap would not be too intrusive.

Purchase Details
    I purchased the 26mm Femcap (I have been previously pregnant but did not deliver vaginally) through buyfemcap.com. No problem with the merchant. The Femcap arrived promptly and in perfect condition.

Insertion
    After reading the directions, I felt for my cervix, filled cap with Contragel Green (a natural alternative to nonoxynol-9) spermicide in/on both sides, squeezed the sides of the Femcap and inserted as directed. It easily slipped back behind my pubic bone and *seemed* placed correctly. However, when I pushed on the cap over where my cervix should have been, I could not determine if indeed my cervix was there. The Femcap is more stiff and thick than I had expected (I suppose I thought it would be softer and more gelatinous in feel), so it was very difficult to feel through it for my cervix.

I decided to reach as far back as possible, lift the long brim of the Femcap and feel for my cervix. *I found that my cervix was partially covered by the brim of the Femcap and not the dome-shaped spermicide reservoir.* Not good! After about 15 minutes of changing positions (squatting, laying down, etc.), pulling out the Femcap and reinserting it, I finally got it to a place where I felt pretty comfortable that my cervix was under the Femcap, but I never had that “suction” sensation that I have heard is necessary for a proper seal.

In hindsight, and this is *important*, I have a retroverted (aka “tilted") uterus (as do 1 in 3 to 1 in 5 women), and I believe that this may be the cause of my extreme difficulty placing it over the cervix. I read after the fact that a retroverted uterus may be a contraindication for using the Femcap.

Intercourse
    With Femcap in place for about an hour prior to “bed time”, my boyfriend initiated intercourse and prepped for a condom. I was excited to tell him that it wasn’t needed that evening! : ) I was actually pretty damn pleased with the sensation I was able to feel, the positions, etc. while having intercourse with the Femcap in place. BUT, and this is a HUGE BUT, after about 25 minutes of what I thought was great sex, my boyfriend for the first time in the history of us having intercourse, WENT LIMP! Why? “You’re not wet. I feel like I’m making love to a wall. The place that I usually go to that feels so good for me is filled with something else.” Fail.

Summary
    Difficulty positioning the Femcap over the cervix with a proper seal, along with extremely unsatisfying sensation for my partner make the Femcap a disappointing contraception option. However, I am pleased to have discovered Contragel Green (very little taste, no burning nor irritation) as a natural alternative to nonoxynol-9 spermicide to which I am allergic. I have decided at this point to purchase an OvaCue with vaginal sensor and intend to do withdrawal with Contragel Green on my fertile days.

Good luck to all on their contraception journey. : )
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

13. PaulaKoala

PaulaKoala New Member

Great summary, thank you! I kind of feel the same way about my femcap. My DH has never complained but when in any position other than missionary I can feel him hitting the femcap and feel like it blocks my enjoyment a bit, or maybe it's just a distraction to me. I'm a big fan of ladycomp with contragel/withdrawal for red days too.

14. crispy_lettuce

I was just looking for posts online about insertion of the FemCap (I've started doubting which is the 'right way round' with the strap) and I found that people are using the FemCap for conception too, loading it up with sperm then leaving it in place all day to guarantee 'delivery'. I must admit it made me chuckle at first but it makes so much sense.

So anyway, how strict should you be with (according to the instructions) getting the strap lined up 'straight' ?

Enjoy the summer sun girls!

15. crispy_lettuce

Here in the UK you can get the arcing and omniflex diaphragms over the counter in pharmacies (although they'll tell you to come back in 2 days as they never actually have them, they just order them). I'd defo' go for the FemCap everytime.

If you guys in Canada have so many hoops to jump through to get a diaphragm, think about how it is when you change size? If you gain (or even better, loose!) a few kilos you're supposed to get fitted again. Only pregnancy/childbirth changes the size of a Femcap. I got mine from buyspermicide.com which also does the diaphragms.

16. Tracey TieF

Tracey TieF New Member

Hello all. I stumbled on this forum whilst looking for my site.

I sell Contragel Green and Fem Caps from my natural health practice in Toronto, Ontario. I mail natural contraception all over the world, but primarily within the US and Canada. I fit Fem Caps - it really is quite simple.

Consultation by email is included with all orders of contraception from me.
    Google Anarres Health or go directly to the page http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/449

Thanks and take care!
    Tracey TieF
    Certified Natural Health Practitioner
    416.535.9620 or anarreshealth@gmail.com
    www.anarreshealth.ca

17. meowCat

meowCat New Member

I have an appointment for a diaphragm fitting this Saturday. I am a little nervous. I hope the nurse knows what she is doing.

What type of spermicide to ladies here prefer? Acidic based ones or nonoxyl based (is there anything else?)?

18. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm very sensitive to nonoxyl and it's a pretty common sensitivity, so I'd opt for some that didn't contain it.

19. iampam

iampam Active Member

I've heard of people storing their FemCap (not sure about the diaphragm) in Manuka Honey and using that as a spermicide. It sounds really messy and I would be cautious!

Good luck with your fitting!

20. meowCat

meowCat New Member

I have heard all those housewife tails about honey and stuff too. I'd stick with scientifically proven methods.

I'd recommend contragel green (lactic acid based) to those that are sensitive to nonox gel.

I have a bit of a dilemma. My fitting didn't go too well, long story short: 75 was too large, it hurt at the pubic bone at the front. 70 seemed right but starts hurting on the sides after about an hour. 65 is definitely too small, as it does not reach the pubic bone at the front and would therefore be "free swimming". The nurse that did the fitting said that they only carry the reflexions flat spring and I am the wrong built for it, I should try an all flex. They didn't carry it, but she said I should try bigger pharmacies in the UK, they'd be better stocked than in Ireland. I found one online at wms.co.uk.

Do you think it's worth it? Trying a 70 as an all flex?