Excessive PP period bleeding

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by Confused-Hasya, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Hi all,

Hope all's well with everyone. I have been MIA for a bit and am still not posting on any other thread. My internet connection is a little slow right now.

My 4th PP period began on May 28 and I was bleeding like a stuck pig until yesterday. My pre-pg periods were 2 days long with 2 more days of spotting.

Now, they have been 34 days apart with 6-7 days of bleeding. This 10 days thing is really getting to me. Any thoughts?

Also, is the whole page black to everyone else too? Or did I get myself blacked out somehow? :-(

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Confused, my pre-pg periods were super light and short too. PP periods (which came at 9 months post-partum) were heavy, long, and crampy. They've slowly gotten back to almost normal. I think two things helped--fish oil supplements, and my daughter slowed, then stopped nursing at 21 months. Really, I have no idea, but those two things I think helped, especially when P weaned. I don't know about you, but at 13 months, my daughter was still nursing quite frequently. It wasn't until around 16-18 months that she started to slow down, and around then I started pushing cow's milk on her to encourage weaning. Though it could just be coincidence, I'm pretty sure 16-18 months is when my periods started to lessen in intensity.

3. *mel*

*mel* Super Moderator Staff Member

My cycles are still all out of whack since having a baby. I ovulate late, my LP is way too short and my periods are lighter but longer. Just completely messed up really. I guess it just takes time for yoiur body to get back on track again.

With regards to the page being black, you havn't accidently changed the skin to the forum have you (at the bottom of the page?) Is it only like it when you are logged in or all the time?

4. starbug

starbug New Member

My PP periods have been shocking. They last a week and a half and the bleeding is excessive. To the point where I don't really feel like I can go out. I'm currently on my third one. I have read that it takes time for your periods to return to how they were and its actually far more unusual for them to go back to normal quickly. But then I've also read that they don't always go back to how they were, so I'm hoping that isn't true! Mine have always been quite bad but before just had about 2 days of heavy bleeding, then 3 much lighter days. With about 2 days of spotting before it started. Now I have 2 days of spotting followed by about 5 heavy days, then about another 2 light days then spotting for about another 2 or 3 days.

5. Confused-Hasya

Thanks for the replies!

Desert, I hope this doesn't continue until weaning! Starbug, wow, your periods returned so soon? I know that Mel's did, but didn't know about you, Starbug. Or I may have forgotten, sorry!

This sucks! There I was, thinking that pregnancy gives a long respite from bleeding. When it returns, it returns with a vengeance? Grrrrrr....

Thanks for reassuring me that this isn't out of the norm.

Mel, yes, that's exactly what happened. It was so hard doing anything with that skin! Thanks for the info. It's back to normal now.

6. starbug

starbug New Member

Mine came back when Autumn was about 2 months old. I bled for 6 weeks after the birth, then ovulated about 2 days later, then had a period 2 weeks after that. They have been about every 28 days since. It was lovely not having periods for 9 months! A few people have told me that their periods improved after having a baby, like it was some sort of big clear out lol. But that hasnt been the case for me.

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Yeah, Confused, I dunno. I just finished another AF, and it was short, light, and about as wonderful as AF can be. For me, it seems pretty clear that my cramps/heavy flow/length were tied to breastfeeding. I have no idea if that's common and I'm pretty sure I haven't anything that correlates the two...so, maybe it's just me!

8. Confused-Hasya

M is almost day weaned. I see what everyone means about self-weaning. She wanted solids and asks for them. Even if I try to feed her when she wants solids, she feeds for 2 min and wants her solids. I nurse her once or twice during the day, once before bed, once on waking. Only, she wakes up a few times at night sometimes out of thirst I believe, and I nurse her back to sleep.

Perhaps when she fully weans herself...

9. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Got my first PP AF today. I'm bleeding so heavy I swear I need a diaper!!! This sucks considering I'm at work and since I work in urgent care it's not like I can just run to the bathroom whenever either.