Ectopic pregnancy & methotrexate - Part 3

Discussion in 'Surviving Miscarriage' started by gutterflower, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

I think it is more the awkwardness of "What do I say and not put my foot in my mouth" for many. Some are downright insensitive, of course. The best one I thought was one who didn't say anything at all but listened and let me talk all I wanted without any outward sign of exasperation.

2. SadMommy27

SadMommy27 New Member

Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for the sweet replies. I'm still not feeling all that great, and tip top it off I started my first period this morning...two weeks after going negative. It kinda makes you relive the loss. I thought of all the things I should be doing now doctor visits, ultrasounds, planning the nursery, etc. It was a hard day for me to say the least. I went back to my OB yesterday and also saw my reg MD they checked me and did some bloodwork, which came back normal. I was then sent to a Gastroenterologist this morning who ordered a CT scan for tomorrow morning. I'm just ready to feel good again. It's been almost 6 weeks and I need my life back. I'm just praying for some healing and hoping for the best. I know that God has a reason for everything so I'm putting it in His hands. I know once I'm feeling up to exercise it will help a lot so we shall see! I hope everyone is having a great week!

3. Confused-Hasya

Sadmommy, I know what you're talking about. It never goes away, that "baby would have been... now". I broke down on what would have been my due date of the m/c pg. I was 5.5 months pg with my daughter by then, but that didn't stop me from bitterly weeping over the lost baby. But over time, the bitterness does abate, I promise. You will make this baby a part of who you are and carry on with your life. Always holding a special place in your heart for the little lost one. The bitterness of the memory giving way to tenderness.

If I have one answer about why it had to happen to me - I would say, my little lost one was sent to me for a time to make me a better, more sensitive person. That was one purpose in that baby's existence. A higher purpose, I know not what it is/was.

4. BJ99

BJ99 New Member

Hi all...fyi before Christmas I got a positive pg test.

Last Thursday I sat at work and miscarried yet again. I know this forum is about EP's but 3 years ago next week I had my first shot of metho to end that pg then May of 2009 I miscarried at 4+ wks then again last Feb 2010 I miscarried at 6 wks and this time it was 5+2 wks....<sigh>

I am sure this will be my last unless I find other options for some sperm. I guess all these losses and my other grown children moving out have stressed the relationship as well as other "issues" and I get the feeling it's irrepairable. So......yeah just plain sucks!

Sorry for the AFM post but I just had to get it out a bit.

Sadmommy sorry for your loss, I know it all too well myself. Hang in there...

As for everyone else check in and let me know how you are doing.

~Jen

5. SallyNY

SallyNY New Member

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would check back and give people an update. I went through a painful ectopic which was disolved with the help of a single methotrexate shot. Last time I posted, I received news my HCG level was down to 3 which is as good as 0. My menstrual cycle returned 2 weeks or so after the numbers went down to 3. I just finished another cycle.

Since the HCG numbers went down, I've been taking Folic Acid. I recall the doctors saying it would be okay to try again after 3 months after the short or 2 regular menstrual cycles. I really really want to try again for a baby but I am soooooo scared. I am so worried all this will happen all over again and I am scared I just cannot handle another loss physically or mentally.

Last time i was at the new OBY's office, I asked about the HSG test and she did not recommend it. She recommended that I just try again when I am ready. She brushed the test off. I just wanted to add that she's an extremely patient, highly recommended/highly decorated physican.

Have other people here on the forum done the HSG before trying again? BJ99 wrote about Clomid after her HSG test? What did Clomid do?

Also, occasionally I feel some mild to medium pain on my left side, where the ectopic pregnancy was. Is this normal?

6. SallyNY

SallyNY New Member

Forgot to add, I am 30 years old and that was my first pregnancy.

7. Jo2011

Jo2011 New Member

Hello and a big hug to SallyNY, Sadmommy and everyone else who has suffered a loss of an EP.

I was diagnosed with an EP on Jan 5 at 9.5 weeks pregnant with an HCG of 11,000. I am lucky as a close family member is OB/GYN so while he didn't treat me he is always there to answer questions. I have been given different date for when we can TTC from different drs (between 3 and 6 months) but this is due to the fact that your folic acid is low due to the methotrexate and therefore birth defects are slightly higher. That said, you can start taking folic acid after your HCG is 0 so there is nothing to worry about. Doctors are cautious for a reason but I was told by this family member that we can start trying again a couple weeks after the HCG is 5 or lower.

For me, I was incredibly depressed for the first month. It was a struggle to do anything but I kept telling myself that I needed to replace the negative with the positive. I feel for every woman out there who is going through this but knowing you are not alone and that others understand is very helpful.

A question for everyone (and a TMI warning). My HCG was 88 two weeks ago (get tested again on thurs and praying it is 0-5) I think I am having my period but this weekend I was doubled over with cramps and subsequently past a piece of tissue about the size of a walnut. Did anyone else have a heavy heavy first period?

8. wannabeamommy

wannabeamommy New Member

Jo2011 I am sorry to hear about loss. It is difficult to handle a loss when it’s supposed to be such an exciting time.

Yes, my first period after the shot was an extremely heavy and uncomfortable. Hang in there they get better.

I too, lost my baby due to an EP about 6 months ago. It was devastating but my husband and I but we got through it. We are pregnant again but are still waiting to see if the baby is growing in the right spot. I am 5 weeks along and we had our first ultrasound today. While there was liquid in the uterus there was also liquid by my right ovary. This is strange because my ectopic was on my left side. So we are scheduled for another ultrasound next week.

We are nervous but hoping for the best.

9. Jo2011

Jo2011 New Member

Congratulations wannabeamommy! Hang in there and I'll be sending you all the best vibes for a healthy pregnancy!

10. Confused-Hasya

JO2011 and wannabeamommy, sorry to hear about the losses.

Wannabeamommy, I hope you have a healthy pregnancy in the right place this time.

11. jen

jen New Member

Hi I'm new and wanted to share my experience and see if anyone has experienced the same, I found out two weeks ago that I was pregnant which was a complete surprise as I have the copper coil in. After having my bloods done and ultrasound they said I've got an ectopic. I've had the methoraxate but levels went up. I've now had my second dose of it and am worried that it won't work again and I will have to have a. Op.
    tlynn likes this.

12. lilflower

lilflower New Member

I just wanted to say I have been where you ladies are. My ectopic was back in 2010 and ended up having surgery to remove my damaged tube and pregnancy 6 months after being diagnosed. I had 2 shots of methotrexate and the numbers fell very very slowly and never got down to 0. I beat myself up over and over about the failed pregnancies. Now looking back as time has helped ease the pain I realize that it was not my fault. Just wanted to give all of you hugs and know you are in my thoughts!!

13. tlynn

tlynn New Member

I'm hoping this site will help me cope. In 2013 I found out I was pregnant. Me husband and I were so very happy. My daughter graduated high school and was off to college so imagine our surprise when we became pregnant. We were EXCITED. Then one day I was rushed to the hospital because my tube ruptured. I was traumatized, I had no time to think or even realize what was happening to me. I be placed on a floor where other pregnant women or new mothers were was SO HARD. But I moved on and put it behind me/us. But to no avail I became pregnant yet again and guess what same thing. But this time thought I was fortunate to catch this ectopic and treat it with methotrexate before I ended up in the hospital. Or so I thought. I've had to had a second dose of the meds and after all the blood test and feeling of inadequacies sometimes l just wish I'd just had the surgery. Feeling very sad.
    Last edited: May 25, 2015

14. Jenn7

Jenn7 New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum I hit zero a few weeks ago. It's been almost two months since I had the metho shot. My levels were only at 700 so they hit zero pretty fast. Now I'm feeling the same sharp weird pains that I had a week or two after the shot? Should I be super worried? I know I should probably see my doctor. His office is so far and I just started a new job so I'm putting it off for now. Is this normal? Thanks in advance

15. Jenn7

Jenn7 New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum I hit zero a few weeks ago. It's been almost two months since I had the metho shot. My levels were only at 700 so they hit zero pretty fast. Now I'm feeling the same sharp weird pains that I had a week or two after the shot? Should I be super worried? I know I should probably see my doctor. His office is so far and I just started a new job so I'm putting it off for now. Is this normal? Thanks in advance

16. Jenn7

Jenn7 New Member

17. emilymoore682

emilymoore682 New Member

Some women are more at risk than others of suffering with an ectopic pregnancy. Having an awareness can help identify those more at risk so that they can consult a doctor as soon as possible. Risk factors for ectopic pregnancy can be quite different.