Due January, February, March 2012

Discussion in 'Who's Due When...' started by nikkiwants4, Jul 21, 2011.

  1. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    It IS overrated!! I see women on forums who say they would never have anything other than natural childbirth, and now that Ive done it, I think they're outta their flippin minds!!

    I do enjoy the fact though that the staff and midwife were very pro natural, and never once did the word epidural come up, until I brought it up. The midwife you can say stayed true to her profession by suggesting alternatives to pain meds (tub, walking, birthing ball, deep breathing), and allowing me to have fluids. It was a good experience, just freaking painful as hell like you say DG.

    Life here at home hasn't been too bad. Gabby has been such a good baby so far. Sleeps all the time, wakes to eat, and goes right back to sleep. Still waiting for my milk to come in, which like you said Row, may be delayed due to my blood loss after delivery. I'm trying to drinks tons of water and fluids. I'm finishing my package of RRL tea, because I heard it can help with postpartum bleeding too. The bleeding isn't bad, just the stitches hurt. I've been taking Advil, and doing the whole peri bottle, dermaplast, tucks pad routine in the bathroom (it's a process, LOL!!). I've got a prescription for iron supplements waiting to be picked up this morning, so I'll start those. I'm already taking a colace every morning. My biggest dilemma right now is having that first BM. I know I need to go, and I'm uncomfortable, but am just too downright chicken to attempt it. I took milk of magnesia last night, but no results yet.

    The joys of postpartum!! Hehe

  2. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    omg, nessa. The first poo. Good luck. I used the peri bottle plus Tucks pads to wipe with, and it helped a lot. Colase is your friend, lol. I still remember feeling grateful that I had diarrhea and barfed a few times after labor had started (delayed the inevitable poo by a day or two). The stitches may hurt for a while (I think mine hurt for the entire time they were in, and I only had a couple). I can't remember if I did this or not, but a menstrual pad soaked in witch hazel, then put in the freezer, is supposed to feel really good on the stitches. Oh, I know what I did try. The midwives had these at the birth center--condoms filled with water then frozen. Stick in the undies, and helps with the swelling and such. This was particularly good the first couple of days when the lady bits are ridiculously swollen. You may be past that stage already.

  3. Confused-Hasya

    Confused-Hasya Active Member

    What a birth story! Wow! Glad that we're on this side of it now, Nessa!

    I am sorry to hear about the bleeding.

    On birth related news, my sister (the one that had leaking fluid starting from 16 weeks) just delivered a baby girl via C-section, 12 days before EDD after labor began. She had some internal bleeding and they couldn't figure out what it was. She was in the OT for about 4 hours after baby arrived! They found swelling somewhere and I have no clue what they did. I spoke with her very briefly and she was very groggy.

    RR, maybe you have some insight on this?

  4. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    Great story, Nessa! Sounds very similar to mine with Caitlin. The only thing I would have changed about hers was the epidural part. When I asked to be checked they weren't sure how long it would be until the doctor came in, and I had like a 10 minute window for the epidural before they went to prep for a c-section so I opted to take that opportunity. Little did I know the doctor would come in to check me while they were inserting the epidural and that I was already at 10 and ready to push! I had that epidural for a whopping 10 minutes, if that! I do wish I would have just waited to make the decision, but like you the contractions were right on top of each other and the next would start before the first was finished!

    How long did they keep you in the hospital? I saw your post when you were going home and it said that you had to stay a little longer.

  5. Raunchy-Row

    Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

    Nessa I would definitely do some looking into reverse pressure softening and maybe step up your feeds if you haven't already [​IMG] good for you for keeping up with the rrl tea! A call to an LC might be in order as well to see if you need to take more herbs or can do anything else to help bring your milk in. The Newman website has Good resources here:


    The one on breast compressions will probably help--they're a good way of stimulating production and getting extra colostrum into baby at the same time. Also she might cluster feed more than usual trying to get your production up and running!


    And that is a good website with lots of good info to use if you do run into supply issues--I hope not but it's good to know where the info is [​IMG]

    Confused you can PM me if you want so we don't hijack the thread [​IMG]

  6. TDG

    TDG New Member

    Nessa---The first BM after a c section is an experience as well. Try miralax! Im pretty sure they told me its ok to take with colace and it works sooooo good!!

  7. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    Labby, I should have been able to leave at 12pm the following day, but because I was receiving the transfusions, and they needed to follow up on Gabby's elevated bili, I had to stay until about 7pm. So, it wasn't too bad. I just didn't want to stay one more night. The staff and hospital were great, but we all know that our own bed is best!!!

    Well, I finally had that first BM, but at the expense of milk of magnesia which is a powerful laxative!!! And it really did more than I needed, lol!!! So, Im trying to stay well hydrated.

    TDG, Im taking colace twice a day. Im taking the iron twice a day, colace twice a day, and my prenatal. Im taking more pills now than during pregnancy!!!

    Thanks Row for the info. Im approximately 84 hours postpartum, and still waiting for my milk. With Sofie, my milk came in a lot sooner. I hope I don't wind up having milk issues.

  8. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    Wow, they let you go fast! Standard here is 2 nights after delivery for vaginal and 3 for c-section. With both of them I went in early AM, they were born late AM, and I wasn't discharged until noon 2 days later. I wish they let you home the next day because you get absolutely zero rest in the hospital, in my experience anyway!

    Glad the first BM went well, lol! Colace was my friend for quite a while. I was afraid to stop taking it!

  9. TDG

    TDG New Member

    lol! Well miralax is a powder you mix into drinks, and thats why I like it.... It doesnt work TOO well, just the right amount! :p haha. I hope the milk comes in soon! What a pain! With your second baby you expect the milk machines to know their job and just work right! [​IMG]

  10. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    I think it depends on your insurance. For mine, 24 hours minimum for vaginal delivery, and 48 hours minimum for csection. 24 hours after delivery for me would have been 10am, and they released me around 7, so it was OK.

  11. Raunchy-Row

    Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

    Hang in there! Cluster feed, skin to skin, breast compressions and definitely see an LC and let her know that you had post partum hemorrhage that required a blood transfusion. If you are heading into day 4 and still waiting for your milk it can't hurt to make a plan, and to keep an eye on baby's weight. If she starts to have any signs of dehydration then definitely go in (less pees/poos than 4 heavy/wet per day, dry mucous membranes, lethargy, tenting skin, jaundice, sunken soft spots are all things to watch for). Do you still have colostrum?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

  12. iampam

    iampam Active Member

    Nessa my milk didn't come in until day 4 or 5. Eddie lost 16% of his body weight and the pediatrician was totally freaked out. But it was obvious something was wrong, he wasn't sleeping at all, and his urine was brick colored, I just didn't realize how bad things were being a FTM and all.

    We had to supplement and do a lot of pumping for awhile, but we're still breastfeeding today [​IMG] I definitely recommend a lactation consultant. If you have a pump, it wouldn't hurt to break it out and see if you can encourage that milk to get going.

    Of course Eddie was 3 weeks late, and the LC said he probably burned a lot of his fat before he came out, so his weight loss might have been more rapid than normal.

  13. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    Also, nessa, maybe your milk is in? I never did get engorged or could tell when my milk was in, but when the midwives watched P feeding, they said, "yep, milk is in. Look at her swallowing."

    I'm sure you won't have milk problems! You're still within normal range.

  14. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    Thanks guys. She had 2 wet diapers overnight, and another this morning, so she is getting something!! And her pee is pretty light yellow and not abnormal looking at all.

    DG, I think you might be right. I've been expressing milk/colustrum all morning, and I think maybe my milk is in, but Im still not 100%. With Sofie, I woke up one morning, and I swear I had super engorged, rock hard, double Ds, dripping with milk, so I was under the impression that the same would happen this time! LOL!! I will keep an eye on it, but she seems to be satisfied after feeding her this morning. She is now sleeping.

  15. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    I never got engorged or anything either when my milk came in. The only way I knew mine was in is that I sometimes could see it dribbling out of the corner of her mouth. It sounds like she's getting just what she needs! Does she have a weight check coming up?

  16. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    Yay, nessa, sounds like your milk is doing its job!

  17. MyrtleWarbler

    MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

    Just a quick drive by post! Been stalking for Nessa's birth story! Great job girl! I was just a lip shy of 10 when I got my epi. Was ready for it when I arrived at 7 1/2 but in the time it took for bloodwork etc, I hit transition. They were piling on back to back. I was screaming really loud too, had to have woken the whole floor! DH said "breathe, breathe" and I said "Screaming is breathing!" LOL! I will go as long as I can next time too b/c it ups my VBAC odds. And if I can manage the crazy back labor with Allie, I think I can go all the way. So the stories of others are really inspiring! Love her name, enjoying the photos on FB! [​IMG]

  18. Raunchy-Row

    Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

    Yay! What goes in must come out so that's reassuring [​IMG] pretty soon she'll be up to 7-8 a day and you'll be sick of changing diapers! Swallowing is a great sign, so is milk dribbling [​IMG]

  19. iampam

    iampam Active Member

    It sounds like she is doing awesome Nessa [​IMG]

  20. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    Oh MW, there is no doubt had this been another back labor like with Sofie, I would have asked for the epidural a lot sooner. I mean her labor as compared to Gabby's was the difference between day and night. With Sofie, being strapped to the bed, with Pit, and back labor was just far too excruciating. This time no back labor, no Pit, and being allowed to be mobile is what I believe mad the whole natural labor possible. It wasnt until transition, and being stuck at 8cm that I was desperate for the epi, but luckily the nurses and midwife were able to pull some tricks to fix that, and the anesthesiologist was unavailable. Up until then, the contractions were painful, but totally manageable with some deep breathing. During transition, deep breathing was not effective (I did try it). Only thing that seemed to help was screaming!! I feel terrible now, because it was early morning, and since the census was low on L&D, it was L&D/postpartum, so new mommas had to hear me too! Egh!

    All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. My body was allowed to go into labor on its own, and I allowed my body to do what it was designed to do without any medications (well, except the Fentanyl, LOL). I'm happy [​IMG]

    Fingers crossed for your VBAC!

    Milk is officially in. Woke up last night with horribly painful and engorged breasts, and leaking. HWG, I bought some of those organic cloth nursing pads you suggested from BRU, and they work great!! Today, I'm wearing a pair of Ameda pads, and they seem OK, but one thing I don't like is that they are really pointy, so if you don't have a pretty cushiony bra, it looks like you have a perpetual titty hard on!!! LOL!!


Share This Page