Due January, February, March 2012

Discussion in 'Who's Due When...' started by nikkiwants4, Jul 21, 2011.

  1. Raunchy-Row

    Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

    Oooh, Nessa, any time now! Congratulations!

  2. Confused-Hasya

    Confused-Hasya Active Member

    Cannot believe that you're able to get on an elliptical! But I read that exercise during pregnancy helps you shed the weight faster later and helps with recovery too. Good going, Nessa!

  3. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    Baby Gabriella Rose born today 4/29/12 at 9:59am weighing 7lbs 1 oz and 19 inches long. Had a natural delivery (don't ask me how I did that!). Ill post birth story when I get the chance!!

  4. Confused-Hasya

    Confused-Hasya Active Member

    Wonderful job, Nessa! By natural, you mean, vaginal, I understand, but do you mean no pain relief? Wow!

  5. HWG#2

    HWG#2 New Member

    Woohoo! Congrats Nessa!! I cannot wait to hear your birth story! What a beautiful name!

  6. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    Confused, yes, no pain meds. They did give me some IV fentanyl because I was so desperate at one point, but it did nothing.

    Will post story soon.

  7. Confused-Hasya

    Confused-Hasya Active Member

    Woo hoo! I am proud of you!

  8. TDG

    TDG New Member

    Congrats Nessa!!! Way to go!! Cant wait to read more!!

  9. iampam

    iampam Active Member

    Yay Nessa!

  10. labby06

    labby06 Active Member

    Congrats, Nessa! Great job!

  11. BunnyGirl19

    BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

  12. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    Congrats, Nessa!!!

  13. Alluring-Ash

    Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

    Nessa- Even though we have chatted on FB I still wanted to say on here as well! Congrats girl! You are awesome and did a great job! Wish I had the same balls [​IMG] Gabbi is a little beauty and I can't wait to hear what Sofie thinks of her! Rest up and enjoy! [​IMG]

  14. Confused-Hasya

    Confused-Hasya Active Member

    Ash, what do you know of her birth story? Do share! I can't wait to hear of it.

  15. nessa26

    nessa26 New Member

    Here it is ladies. Enjoy!

    Gabriella Rose’s birth story:

    Saturday, April 28, 2012

    I was scheduled to work this day, and the following day (Sunday,) was to be my last day. I was 39w 4d. I had inserted 2 EPO pills the night before, as opposed to my usual 1 EPO pill. I woke up, felt good, no different at all. Around 9AM, I started feeling very mild, dull menstrual like lower backache and waves. I didn’t think anything of it, and since I was at work, they certaintley weren’t severe enough to really focus on. Fast forward to 2pm, I finally realized that the lower backache were contractions because they were increasing in intensity, and coming and going. I decided to pull out my cell phone and start my contraction timer app, and realized they were coming approximately every 3-4 minutes, lasting on average 45 seconds each. I was a bit confused, because those seemed so close together, yet they weren’t severe yet. I go to the bathroom, and (TMI) lose a huge glob of plug, mixed with blood. Okay, bloody show. I let my charge nurse know that I was having contractions, and that I would not be making it to work the following day. The contractions were still manageable, and I finished my shift. I then drove over to my in-laws where hubby was, and my daughter. They fixed us dinner, and we then went home. We alerted them that we might wind up bringing Sofie during the middle of the night, depending on how my labor progressed. Contractions continued to intensify, but were still around 3-4 minutes apart, but their duration lengthened.. After some debate, hubby and I decided to put Sofie down for bed. I was going try my hardest to hold out until the morning before reporting to the hospital, as to not wake her up. Around 11pm, the contractions were averaging 2-4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute long. I tried to lay down on the couch, which just made the contraction pain 100 times worse. Being upright and walking around was where I was comfortable. Hubby told me to go to bed and get some rest, yeah right. I knew that wasn’t happening!! Climbed into bed, remained sitting up, watching TV. By now, the contractions were extremely uncomfortable. I did manage to get about 1 hour of broken sleep. I then decided to soak in a hot bath. Did so for about 30 minutes. It was at this time, that I decided to wake hubby up (yes he was asleep this entire time!!) and tell him we should report to the hospital. It was now 2:15am.

    Sunday April 29, 2012

    We arrive at the hospital around 3am. The admissions department is asking me questions to make sure I’m really in labor (how many weeks are you. Important for the preterm laborers I guess. How far apart are your contractions, etc.) They then wheel me up to L&D, where a nurse takes me to the ante partum room, have me pee in a cup, weigh me, ask me questions, etc. I get hooked up to the monitor, midwife comes in, checks me and says I’m 5cm, 80% effaced. Says they will admit me, because I am indeed in “active labor”. Well duh, right? Lol! Get to the room, settle in, go to the bathroom, Im still losing bits of my plug. The nurse tells me I am free to lie in bed, walk the halls, get in the tub, birthing ball, whichever I choose. IV is started, hooked up to fluids. I then walk the halls for the next hour with my hubby. By this time, it’s around 5am, contractions are getting stronger and stronger, requiring me to stop while walking and breathe through them. I then return to the room at the nurse’s request to be hooked up to the monitor, to monitor baby. I then decide to labor in my room, standing up, leaning over the bedside table. Sipping lots of water and juice. Lying down in bed while contracting was absolutely out of the question. I now realize why being strapped to a bed, laboring, is so bad! Around 6, I start to become nauseous. I request nausea medication, the nurse offers zofran or phenergan. She gives me a shot of zofran, and it does nothing. I turn down the phenergan, as I don’t want to be knocked out. By this time, the contractions are extremely painful, and I ask the nurse if the midwife can come and check me. She informs me that she is in a delivery, but will be notified that I want to be checked. Around 6:30am, she comes and checks me, and says I am 7cm, going on 8cm, with “a little bit of cervix left”. Contractions are still bearable, but definetly getting stronger. All this time, I make about 20 trips to the bathroom, because with all the water and juice I’m drinking, I’m constantly with a full bladder. I then labor on the birthing ball for about 45mins, which actually made the contractions somewhat more bearable. Hubby is rubbing my back, and encouraging me to just breathe through the contractions. Around 7:30am, shift change has already occurred. The new midwife, Nancy, is on duty. I like to refer to her as the “old grandma midwife”, because she’s easily got to be in her 60s, maybe even early 70s, lol!! And she always wore funky sneakers and high waters at my appointments at the clinic!! Hehe I then get back into bed, and all of a sudden get a contraction from hell. I mean, on a pain scale from 1-10, my pain was like a 30. I’m screaming and yelling and clenching the side rail. The nurse, her student, and the midwife run in. Midwife checks me, and says I’m 8cm, with still a little cervix left. She tries to rupture the bag of water, but tells me it appears my bag has already ruptured. I never noticed. She then suggests I get into the tub, which I agree to. On the way to the tub, I get another horrendous contraction. I’m in the middle of the hallway yelling my lungs out, and blood is dripping down my leg. I’m assuming this was part of the ruptured bag. I get into the tub, which was not even warm. The nurse, and student nurse are busy filling the already filled tub, with hot water. Contractions are still coming on stronger and stronger. I continue to have no control over my inability to cope with them, except to moan and yell. Yes ladies and gents, the yelling you see during labor, really is necessary!!!! I didn’t give a @$#%^@ who heard me! I handled about 5 contractions in the tub before calling it quits. In my opinion, the tub made the contractions worse, because I was sitting in there, and the water wasn’t as hot as I liked. Walked back to my room, nurse checks me, Im still 8cm. She suggests lying on my right side, since my little bit of cervix that was left, was on my right side. This was about 8:45am, and I had had enough. Especially since now I was being instructed to lie in bed to help get the rest of the cervix out of the way which made the pain of the contractions worse. I ask the nurse “Is it too late for the epidural?”. She says no, and notifies the anesthesiologist, who happens to be at the other hospital!! Err!!!! Midwife comes back in, and does an internal check and instructs me to push to see if I could push the rest of the cervix out of the way. At this point, she is telling me “Try and breathe your baby out, let your body take control”. Huh? Lol!! I had no way of coping except to moan and scream. At this point, I think the whole hospital could hear me. The nurse gave me a dose of IV Fentanyl to take the edge off, which did nothing but make me sleepy, but didn’t take away any of the pain. Now, the contractions were one on top of another. Even “piggybacking” in the words of the midwife. I would get a contraction, and as it was coming back down, another one would start, so I would get a lot of verrryy looonng contractions!! Now, I was feeling a lot of pressure in my rectum. With each contraction, I felt like the baby was coming out of my butt!!! I remember at one point, the nurse and my hubby trying to make me feel better by putting pressure on my lower back, and me angrily pushing their hands away. Midwife checks me again, and I’m 10cm. Flip me over to my back and instucts me to push with the next contraction. I push with all my might with hubby holding one leg, and nurse holding the other. Pushing really did feel good!!!! The crowning was the most painful part. Really does burn as people describe. A couple pushes later, and she entered the world. I pushed for 20 minutes with Gabby, over and hour with Sofie. Gabby was not born sunny side up. She was born at 9:59am weighing 7lbs 1oz, 19in long. I suffered a 2nd degree tear. Mideife numbed me up pretty good for half of it, and didn’t for the other half. I could feel her stitching me up, and it HURT!!!! Had to receive a liter and a half of Pitocin, and 2 doses of cytotec to control my postpartum bleeding, which I was informed was a lot! Nurse came in about 5 times about and hour apart to do the wonderful fundal massage. Oh God, that hurts so bad!!! I received 2 units of blood in postpartum, and am on iron supplements here at home.

    All in all, it was not a bad delivery. Not sure if I would do natural childbirth again though. Maybe it was because I wasn’t prepared, and my coping mechanisms weren’t the best!!!

  16. Raunchy-Row

    Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

    Wow nessa! Good for you! And congratulations! Post partum hemorrhage sucks--makes you more tired for sure. You may notice some swelling in the next few days in your ankles and legs and also in your breasts--if you're nursing google "reverse pressure softening"! Fluid collecting in your breast tissue can interfere with your milk supply and post partum hemorrhage can delay your milk coming in somewhat so lots and lots of frequent feeds and using RPS can really help [​IMG] got any pics?

  17. HWG#2

    HWG#2 New Member

    Adda girl, nessa! I know you didn't plan to go med-free, but what an accomplishment! I didn't get my epi until 9cms this time, and I was screaming my head off (obscenities, too)! Nothing wrong w/ that! I am sure you are very tired after bleeding so much. I sure hope you have lots of help and are getting some rest. How is gabby? Personality? Big sister adjusting okay?

    Row-you always have such great advice! I always think of you when little Joseph is cluster feeding...as you say, protecting his food supply! So glad you share these things w/ us!

  18. TDG

    TDG New Member

    Nessa---well done! that is a great birth. other than the bleeding it sounds like it went well and you accomplished something you didnt even set out to do! tuff a** mama right to the end!!

  19. Raunchy-Row

    Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

    Aww HWG thanks! Glad to know its helpful. It's an occupational hazard I guess? Amazing how much important info there is that nurses and docs don't teach. I know we can't teach it all in 2 days but I sure do try anyway [​IMG]

  20. desertgirl

    desertgirl Active Member

    Congrats, nessa. Thanks for sharing, loved reading your story! Yeah, I did the natural child birth thing too, and it's a little over-rated! It freaking hurts. But also pretty awesome at the same time!


Share This Page