Due in August-September 2010

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by KawaiiNot, Dec 19, 2009.

1. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

[​IMG] And when you have that under control, could you get back to making diapers? I feel like I'm stalking your website! [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

2. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Gee, I did finish two diapers yesterday and will have three more done as soon as I sew the velcro tabs on the wings. Yay!!! I know, still slow progress but I'm starting to pick it back up again. LOL!

I got a positive OPK today so SO and I have an appointment to make like bunnies. [​IMG]

3. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Big "Yeah!" on both of those things BG!!

4. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I agree with what's been said. Wow!! TDG, I didn't realize you were so young. I couldn't imagine having three kids at 22. Im 28, and 1 child is plenty (for now anyways. Hopefully more in the future [​IMG] ).

I unfortunately have a couple of family members who are 1.) Young and unmarried, 2.) Had unplanned pregnancy (ies) and did nothing to prevent it and 3.) are on Welfare. One family member in particular makes me absolutely sick. She has 2 kids, with two different daddies (this by the way ladies, is a different girl than the one I mentioned yesterday, aye!). She's on Welfare, gets government housing, AND....Get this!!!.......is pregnant again with her third, due in November, and she admitted that she went and had her IUD removed on purpose and didnt tell her boyfriend (who is DHs cousin. The same loser who has a kid with the gal I mentioned yesterday). She did it on purpose because she wanted to get pregnant, and something having to do with "more kids, more welfare". It makes me sick to my stomach. Just to think I work my butt off to support her pathetic butt.

I dont have anything against young moms. I have something against anyone in general who complains about having a kid, when they did nothing to prevent it. Thats completely unacceptable to me.

Anyway, carry on ladies. Hi Ali, Lily, TDG, Kawaii. Hope all is well!!!

5. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Ali, they give you 50 g of glucose in flavored water, then draw blood after an hour.

6. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

I also think it is more in the individual.... Hubby and I have been with each other for 11 years now and I am 24 ( well next week ) ( I was 13 and he was 14 when we started dating in middle school!! )I was sexually active at 15 ( YOUNG!! ) BUT... I did take myself down to the health dept. and got put on BCP as well, with out my parents knowledge )Got married at 18 and I started TTC at 19 seeing a RE at 20 almost 21 and paid for EVERYTHING out of pocket because A. Insurance here is not required to cover fertility related procedures or diagnostics and B. Because we had just moved to TN hubby needed to be with his new company for 6 months for benefits to kick in. On average an IUI+Clomid+monitoring for one cycle was $985.00 PLUS the cost of meds ( Clomid and Hcg injection )$120-$150.00= around $1100.00 a month... Out of pocket!
    Moved on to a new RE and by this time we had pretty good insurance but VERY expensive ( $137.00 a week!) My new RE was great and I was PG very soon after going through him. I paid my whole way through PG ( $2500 out of pocket ) for my son.
    We had the chance to switch to a private insurance and I jumped at that so we gave our congratulations letter to DH's employer who dropped our current plan only te be told that we where denied later and I could NOT be insured because of my insulin resistance and NO insurance company would pick me up UNLESS I went through constant( monthly or weekly ) blood checks for my insulin levels through a primary dr ( out of pocket ) for a YEAR! Soo..... this time when TTC we paid again out of pocket and I applied for state insurance due to the fact that I NEED to see an OB and we could not get insurance ( Via denial letter ) and a few screaming matches between me and blue cross.... because of my "insulin resistance" so there you have it.

Everyone has a different story and it is really more of the
    You can't judge a book by it's cover" scenario.

7. Confused-Hasya

OMG, Ash, I am so sorry to hear of your insurance troubles. That's just wrong.

8. BunnyGirl19

Yeah, that's crazy how they were being about coverage! I don't know anyone near me that has been denied for "preexisting condition" except for one person, but she'd had cancer like two or three times already. I'm sure it varies from state to state and their regulations as to what they will insure or not. Like I know some states mandate insurance coverage for infertility treatments and I've heard even IVF. Most do not. I really don't think insurance should be required to cover infertility because it's not standard health care to stay healthy. I kind of view it as elective, like if I were to want a boob job or something. If insurance does cover it or you can find a plan that does, great, but I don't think it should be mandatory.

9. Confused-Hasya

I beg to differ, bg. Insulin resistance/pcos can have other health implications and thus need to be treated, imo.

10. BunnyGirl19

I was meaning more in terms of the fertility treatments being mandated to coverage (IUI, IVF, et cetera). Insulin resistance should be treated because that is an overall part of maintaining general health.

11. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Wow, you ladies amaze me with how young some of you are! Well, I hope I didn't offend anyone. Like I said in a previous post, everyone is different and some people are ready when others are not. I was definitely not ready for children until recently, and I am 29.

12. Lily_Blossom

Lily_Blossom New Member

OMG. RUDE PREGNANCY COMMENT ALERT.

I was at the grocery store pushing my two year old daughter in one of those car cart things. Some guy says to her " Are you driving?"

I answer back, "Heck ya! It's the only way to shop."

Then the guy says to me:" Well judging from the size of you, you'll soon have two or maybe three kids driving this thing."

I stared at him and just walked away shaking my head. If I had responded it wouldn't have been pretty at all.

Why are people so socially retarded? I mean, you wouldn't walk up to a gray haired person at the store and say" Wow look at all the gray hair, I'll bet you are about to join the senior citizen discount club."

Personal comments are rude. Pregnant or not.

I KNOW I'm huge. I KNOW I'm pregnant. I don't need to be constantly reminded every time I go out in public. Good God.

13. BunnyGirl19

That was REALLY rude!!!! The worst part is that people don't even realize they're being rude! I probably would have made some snarky comment back to him or just lied and said it was like days away from the due date to negate the "you're so huge" thing. I'm sure you aren't "huge" anyway! I don't think I've ever thought pregnant women were huge, but I remember always thinking that the ones with the big bellies, i.e. far along, looked really uncomfortable.

I'm sorry you had a bad time at the store.

14. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

People and their gutsy pregnancy comments. Ive been called everything under the sun; "you're a house", "there are triplets in there", or saying that I look 9 months pregnant when I was 6. Very annoying, but at the same time, it was for a good cause. Only 9 months of my life that I will have to endure the wise ass comments.

Ahhh, insurance. Its such a mess. BG, you are right. Fertility treatments, seeing as how they are not required for a healthy wellbeing, will not be covered by insurance, nor do I believe they should be. No one is going to die from not having a boob job nor will anyone die from not conceiving a child from fertility treatments. It just really sucks for those who really really want a child more than anything, have to shell out such tremendous amounts of money to acheive a pregnancy, and even then, during any given IVF or IUI cycle, its not guranteed to work. I can tell you that if Clomid did not work for me, or IUI, or conceiving on my own, there would be now way I would be able to afford IVF. I would have been out of luck in terms of having a biological child at that point.

But insurance companies, even in terms of covering medications and treatments for actual illnesses, is just crazy. With the premiums that are paid (be me anyways), diagnostic tests, labs, medications should be more covered than they are, and less should come out of our pockets. They take approximately $150 out of each of my paychecks for me, my husband, and my daughter.

15. BunnyGirl19

SO and I figured we could *afford* to pay for about 3 IUI cycles if it was necessary (we could pay for more, but at around $1000 a try including meds we wouldn't want to if it wasn't working). There was a discussion of adoption, but that's an extremely long and expensive process as well and we determined that it would be cheaper for us to do IVF than it would be to adopt and generally quicker. There's a clinic near us that has a two-for-one deal that if your first cycle fails they'll try a second one for what you already paid. It costs around $18K to do (more if we opt for ICSI, PGD, or any of the extras) whereas it would cost an average of $30K to adopt a child here. We wouldn't be able to fork over $30K upfront, but we could afford to pay on $18K with the clinic financing. The only problem is, there's no guarantee we'd end up with a baby after all that money either. Fortunately, we aren't to the point where we need to seriously consider these options yet.

16. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Wow. You pay $450 for insurance for your family every month? Does your employer also pay some of your premium on top of that?
    That's more than I pay in taxes every month!

Norway has universal health care. The government will cover three IVF tries, if more is needed you have to pay out of pocket. It seems it's a lot cheaper than over there though, I have read that each try will cost about $4-5000.
    All maternity care is covered 100%, and medical care for my baby won't cost a penny until he turns 18.
    But for adults you only have to pay about $280 total until you are 100% covered for the rest of the year though. So it's not that bad.

We also have awesome rights when it comes to maternity and paternity leave (some paternity leave is mandatory). I was in absolute shock when I heard you guys are only entitled to 12 weeks and that's even without pay? Harsh compared to my 46 weeks with full pay.

I remember following some of the debate when you were doing the whole Obama-care thing over there, and I always wondered how so many felt that UHC is so bad. We get excellent care here, the maternity morbidity and mortality rates for both mother and child is much lower here than in the US.

I don't mean to be all elitist or anything, it just has been an interesting process learning about the differences between the US and Norway when it comes to maternity, birth and healthcare.
    The system is in no way perfect here either, I don't mean to imply that it is, just so very different in many ways. Some for the better, some for the worse. [​IMG]

Oh my, I went TOTALLY off topic... Sorry about that, and feel free to ignore. [​IMG]

Lily, OMG that was one rude dude! It has totally baffled me how my body suddenly is open for public debate, what the heck is up with that?
    I've been lucky and haven't gotten any comments lately. Must be because I'm so huge my belly s scaring everyone away, right?
    I'm like Moses dividing the sea of something, everyone just clears my path. LOL! [​IMG]

Should I be worried about my weight? I haven't gained in three weeks, I actually lost two pounds. Midwife didn't seem to care, but I know my new diet will probably mean I might loose some more. I'm not skinny or anything, so my gut feeling is not to be worried but I won't mind some other opinions also. [​IMG]
    Pipsqueak is very active and seems happy, so it can't be all bad, right?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

17. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Sorry for the craptastically long post.
    I obviously tend to ramble... [​IMG]

18. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

Lily, that's when you just want to lie and say "I'm not pregnant" that way the guy feels like a complete a**hole!

Kawaii, your benefits and low taxes sound great. Unfortunately, I don't think it would work that well here in the U.S. Our taxes are already outrageously high, and they would go up even higher if we all have to chip in for a UHS. The other thing is that many of us like the right to choose whether we want health insurance or not and how much we want to spend on it. I personally like the flexibility that I have with my healthcare plan, and it only costs $130 a month for pretty good coverage. We have plans here in the U.S. that cover extremely well as your's does, they are called HMO's. Some people here though would rather pay more out of pocket for a PPO because they are not as limited by networks of doctors. As far as maternity leave goes, what you are talking about is the federal law to protect a mother or father who wants to take time off work and not lose their position or salary rate. It only applies to companies with more than 50 employees. Thankfully, because with a majority of businesses in the US being small businesses, many of them would probably go out of business if they had to pay an employee on leave and also pay an employee that they have hired temporarily to do that person's job while they are gone for a year. Unless, does your government pay your maternity wages like an unemployment benefit here? It would still be difficult I think for the business to find a person, train them to do the job, and then only to let them go when the other person comes back. I think I see this differently because my FIL and DH are business owners, as well as my dad, and my mom and step-dad.

Well, I'm not debating right and wrong here. Please don't take it that way. I'm just saying that our whole business and government structure would have to change to support a system such as what you have in Norway. I think most people here wouldn't like that even though they want better health care coverage. Wow, I'm starting to show my passion for politics so I better stop! [​IMG]

19. Confused-Hasya

You should have told those guys that given how ugly they are, they're unlikely to ever have one because no one would want to, with them. I know, that's rude and I wouldn't actually say it but that's how irritating that is.

20. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

LOL! Oh man, I need to remember that one. Awesome! [​IMG]

I thought we were known for out high taxes... It needs to be said though, that I have a pretty low income at the time being, so that is why my taxes are lower also. We do have pretty high taxes here, I won't debate that. [​IMG]

Yes, taxes would have to go up, that's correct. But I think your healthcare system would be a lot more effective and cheaper without the middle men in your current system.
    But of course, I am in a country with a health care system that works quite well (in my opinion, not everybody elses mind you), and gives free health care to all citizens. It is easy for me to be opinionated about another system that lately has been under a lot of scrutiny. I'm not living it, I can't say I know everything about it.
    What percentage do you pay in taxes approx? Unless that's a rude question without me knowing, in which case pretend I didn't ask. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013