Due in April, May, June 2011

Discussion in 'Archived Discussions' started by BunnyGirl19, Sep 8, 2010.

Dear Members: We have operated this forum since 2002. We currently have over 12,000 members that have free access to thousands of health related discussions. We rely on you as a member to peruse our health articles but do need your help in ensuring that the site will continue to operate for years to come. We ask that you CLICK ON OUR ADS to support the site. Thank you for your trust.

1. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

So is it formula feeds for another couple of weeks BG, or are you pumping and feeding?

Clomid has actually kinda been on my mind lately. Here I am CD 23, and still no ovulation or any signs of it, and very frustrated. I did ovulate on day 28 a few cycles ago. Decisions, decisions. I would do it without hesitation. It's convincing my husband, thats gonna be tricky.

SUPPORT OUR WEBSITE, CLICK OUR ADS

2. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

Pam, I think she had said that he RJ was expending more calories trying to nurse than he was getting. But don't they have to pass the birth weight only by 2 weeks?

3. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, too much work involved for him to nurse and burns too many calories so it's pumping and giving a bottle. He's on roughly half milk and half formula right now as my supply builds and I'm hoping to get about 4 oz a pumping soon instead if what I am getting.

4. Alluring-Ash

Alluring-Ash Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear he didn't have to go back to the hospital, BG!

5. Love0322

Love0322 New Member

Bg- We had birth weight issues too. My baby's name is Kendal. She was born 6lbs. 7 oz. but when we left the hospital she was down to 5lbs 13 oz. We took her to pediatrician the next day and she had gained an ounce and a half. I was told to give her formula after each feeding...I didn't do that exactly but did give her some. My milk is in my boobs a huge! I look like I have bowling balls strapped to my chest. They hurt like heck. I tried ice and warm wash clothes.

Going to lactation lady at the hospital tomorrow. My boobs are so big that my nips have gone flat. So I'm using a nipple shield. It is helping but i'm afraid i'll have to use it forever. I guess babies that are premie have not developed or able to maintain suck and latch so the shield helps to push on the suck reflex.

She is beautiful! she has tons of hair. Its an auburn color.

I'll post more about the birth when I have time. Hugs to everyone!

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Love, don't worry! Your boobs will regulate in a couple of weeks. Haha, they may still be big though, but you should be much more comfortable! You may have to use a nipple shield for a bit, but most women don't have to use it for too long. Hopefully the lactation consultant will have some advice for you. Congrats!

Wow, BG, that's a great amount of milk you're pumping out for so early on. You'll be getting 4oz soon enough. Can you try pumping every 2 hours during the day?

7. BunnyGirl19

I'm thinking about it. It's more a matter of having time and getting sleep at this point! I'm going to be starting fenugreek and brewer's yeast today as well and see if it helps me any. I guess it does some but not others. Unfortunately they were out of the yeast in capsules so I have to eat the flake kind for now. It might not be so bad. The container says it tastes like nuts.

8. Alluring-Ash

I was thinking the same thing as DG! I pumped at first with N too and it was a total PITA! By the time I was done pumping, bagging, cleaning and feeding it was time to do it all again but I made a TON of milk! I was doing it every 2 hours!

9. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

BG, is your supply actually low, or are you just being proactive by taking the supplements? It seems like you're making enough for little RJ w/out having to take anything?

10. BunnyGirl19

I'm getting 1-1/2 to 2 ounces every three hours, but about two or three of my pumpings a day I only get an ounce. I'm trying to get my supply up bigger faster so I can definitely get enough by pumping. I was told by the LC a full milk supply is 2-3 oz per side each pumping. I get 1 to 1-1/2 out of my right and 1/2 to 1 out of my left on average.

11. iampam

iampam Active Member

2-3 oz per side per pumping sounds pretty high for a brand new baby and mom. I'm sure you'll be there in another week or two, it just takes time to build to that. Supplementing shouldn't hurt anything [​IMG] I've been taking Fenugreek and haven't had any side effects that I can tell. DH claims I smell a little like maple syrup, but I think he might be messing with me.

12. Alluring-Ash

It does sound kind of high. BUUUUT Milk is supposed to regulate after coming in to what baby demands, so perhaps the LC is talking about the amount produced for exclusive pumping??

Haha!! I DID smell just like maple syrup!! It was awful, it made K SUPER SUPER gassy though, so I stopped taking it. I actually scored a brand spankin' new bottle from a consignment sale for $2.50! 2 days after paying $16 for the same size at GNC!

BG- You said forumla to top off feedings? How much is he eating per feeding?

13. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

BG, my supply was fine throughout my entire breastfeeding experience, and I typically only pumped 2oz per side. And that wasn't until after pumping for a few weeks (and I didn't even start that until babe was 6 weeks old). Your baby is still a tiny newborn and wouldn't be drinking that much if he were at the breast. I'm a little mad at the LC for putting pressure on your poor boobies! You're doing great, and your boob are making plenty! I think, unfortunately, to get your supply up you'll have to pump more than every 3 hours. Do you know when the kiddo will be able to nurse?

Eww, I did smell like maple syrup! During the brief time I took fenugreek, my husband would walk into the bedroom in the evenings and start sniffing and looking around. I finally asked what he was sniffing for and he said he was looking for dog pee. It was ME that he was smelling--the fenugreek maple scent smelled like dog pee to him!

14. BunnyGirl19

They told me I could likely try nursing again in about two weeks. He needs to pass his birth weight and show steady growth first.

RJ is eating an average of 2 oz a feeding every 2-3 hours, up to 2-1/2 oz twice now. He's getting 1 to 1-1/2 oz of my milk mixed with formula right now. I did go buy some higher calorie preemie formula tonight to help his weight gain. He has an appointment tomorrow afternoon to check his weight again. He needs to weigh in at least 5 lb 8.4 oz to be on pace. He got down to 5 lb 5 oz from 6 lb 2 oz. He was very puffy and bloated at birth though (the doctors even commented on it).

15. TDG

TDG New Member

LMAO desert---thats pretty funny!

Gosh I must have a freakishly high supply..pretty much as soon as the milk comes in I can pump 8-10ounce per side! It slows down a little after awhile with E and W but it never did with Brendyn.

aww bunny 5lb 5 is soooo tiny. Brendyn was swimmin in preemie clothes at 6 10! lol. Before you know it you will look at those TINY clothes and seriously not remember him being that small!

16. BunnyGirl19

I want your supply! LOL

my friend can pump 5-6 oz per side roughly every four hours, but she only pumps three times a day, before, during, and after work. I'd like to be that lucky!!!

17. TDG

TDG New Member

lol...yeah Ive got plenty. I do notice the amount is very sensitive to caffine/not enough water, and my stress levels..but even at my worst I get 4/per side. With brendyn I was over produceing like crazy--Id often get 10oz AFTER nursing him! Im glad theyre a little more efficent now.

18. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Wow, that's crazy, TDG! If I'm remembering correctly, I think Ash could pump that much too! My supply was plenty fine, after I all, P was solely breastfeed till she started food around 6 months, and she stayed in the 95th percentile till she started to crawl, but I can count the times on one hand that I pumped 4oz per side! Pumping was always struggle, I'm so glad that's been done and over with for almost a year now!

19. Alluring-Ash

Yep! That was just pumping alone though... Now I can get maybe 5-6oz out of both [​IMG] I had SOOOOO much stashed milk with N. I had to keep it in a deep freezer in those small totes! I wanted to donate it, but I didn't have time for the screening and blood work. Now they have this system on Facebook where you can find local donors or mothers in need and just donate that way ( I don't know that I personally would be ok with taking someone else's untested milk ) but I would certainly give it away to someone in need.

Now I have maybe 15 freezer bags put up for my just in case... I need to work on more but I have been having some slight issues keeping up with K, she's such a little cow!

AND... My left boob is my big producer where as my right one just barely gets by [​IMG] Nice, huh?

So, BG why do they want you topping him off with formula? Extra calories? I remember them telling me with N not to let him breastfeed for too long because of burning calories and losing weight but they where seriously trying to push formula on us. [​IMG]

20. AliBaby

AliBaby New Member

haha! I was a dairy cow in the beginning too! Around 3 months I finally didn't have engorgement issues. My nipples flattened out from my boobs being so full, and I would pump a little before hand to take some off the top and pull the nipple out.

BG, so glad RJ didn't have to go to the hospital!

Labby, I totally agree on the timing. I felt cooped up too. I so badly wanted a march baby, but hey, I'll take what I can get! It took 18 cycles so I didn't care by the time it finally happened. IF we TTC #2, I'll be more adamant about timing.

DG, that is too funny! Dog pee?!?!! How awful!