Diaphragm any good?

Discussion in 'Contraception' started by greengrl, Oct 17, 2005.

1. greengrl

greengrl New Member

Hello all, I am curious if anyone here has had any experiences with diaphragms bad or good? I'm looking into them as an alternative to all hormonal birth control. Any feedback on this would be great, thanx!

2. Cami

Cami New Member

ooooooooooooh good question ive been thinking about that too. Or the cervical cap? or sponge?

3. cakes

cakes New Member

I have been using both the sponge and diaphagm, both are a bit messy but effective so far! I prefer the sponge b/c it can be left in longer - I honestly don't mind either of them though, not as convenient of course but if you plan ahead there isn't a problem. The only HUGE negative so far is I have gotten two yeast infections in th e2 months using these methods... UGH, no fun. I don't suspect everyone would be as prone to them though.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi girls, I have been using a diaphragm and condoms (not at the same time). I just realized that if you put the spermecide in the diaphragm before you put it in, instead of using the applicator after insertion, it works a lot better. I like it..I just worry about effectiveness. They say it is 80-95% effective. That is a big range.

5. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

I used a diaphragm for three years. My biggest problems with it were the near impossibility of finding a competent fitter--and vaginal infections. I got two or three a year, mostly yeast, one bacterial. With the bacterial infection, I was diagnosed after a pap and diaphragm refit, and they told me the most likely causes were douching or using antibacterial soap "down there," neither of which I EVER did. When I said so, it was written off with a, "Well, this just happens sometimes, and we don't know why." They knew full well that I used a diaphragm for birth control, but no one ever suggested that it might be the spermicide. From doing my own research, I know now that that's what it was. Before I used the diaphragm (which was the only period in my life when I was putting spermicide into my body frequently), I had one yeast infection in my entire life, and never had a bacterial infection. Since, I've had one serious yeast infection, which was clearly a reaction to something else, the details of which I won't go into, and that's it.

I highly recommend this site to any diaphragm user: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DiaphragmsAndCaps/

You have to register to get into the archives, but it's free and worth the time. It's a wealth of information, everything you ever wanted to know about using a diaphragm or cervical cap, and their files include sources and recipes for alternate spermicides.

6. GreenTea

Just to add on: in the diaphragm's favor, it was effective and comfortable. And it seemed to be my only option, because I can't use hormonal bc and my partner has trouble maintaining erection with condoms, which is why I stuck with it as long as I did. I no longer use it because I found something better; see "Anyone try Centchroman?" .

The wide variety in effectiveness ratings for the diaphragm is because of differences between women who use it consistently and correctly and have the proper fit and those who don't. If you take all types/brands of condoms together, and all ways that people use them, they have a similar range in effectiveness, and yet can fairly be said to be very highly effective.

7. GreenTea

Corgrl, I'm surprised whoever fitted you with the diaphragm didn't tell you to put the spermicide in first. That's what you're supposed to do. The applicator is for times when you need to insert more--when you have sex six hours or more after putting it in, or when he's already come inside you and you have intercourse again.

At least, that's what they say you need to do. According to the WHO report (I'd post the link if I could find it again, but I can't), no spermicide has EVER been studied to determine whether or not it really loses effectiveness after a certain amount of time or after being ejaculated into.

8. peacoat

peacoat New Member

hello,
    I've been considering switching to the diaphragm. Unfortunately I dont know too much about it. I have been on the bc pill for the past 2 years and I've just stopped. I need to find an alternative because I had some uncomfortable side effects with the pill and now I am planning a backpacking trip to Asia with my boyfriend and I would like a non-hormonal form of bc while I'm away.

I was wondering... can you use the condom and the diaphragm at the same time? Or is that a bad idea... since the condom and the diaphragm could come into contact with each other? (is that a strange question?)

9. GreenTea

Yes, you can use a condom and diaphragm at the same time. It doesn't matter if they come into contact with each other. In fact, it would give you extra security: if the diaphragm slips (which shouldn't happen unless it's the wrong size) or the condom breaks, you still have the other for backup.

If you're going backpacking, have a good supply of condoms, maybe spermicide to back them up if you wish, but using a diaphragm in that situation would be MUCH more difficult--it would be very hard to clean it properly when you're backpacking. Unless, of course, you're somewhere that you can count on having a good and consistent water supply and a private enough place to clean it.

If you want to know more about the diaphragm, try the yahoo group above--there are lots of knowledgeable people on there.

And why not take a look at the Centchroman thread if you haven't already? It's non-hormonal, even though it's a pill, and would eliminate the mess of using a diaphragm. However, you would need backup methods for the first two months. If your trip to Asia includes India, that's where it's available. Otherwise, three people on this board (myself included) have bought it over the internet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I have an experience with a diaphram, it got stuck in me, and my husband had to get it out..I liked it for a little while until that happened..had some discomfort with it also.

11. GreenTea

I'm bumping this thread because some people have been asking diaphragm questions... best not to let it fade into obscurity!

GreenTea

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I used a diaphragm for a few weeks, but both my partner and I got such a nasty yeast infection from the nonoxyl-9 spermicide that I quite using it.

13. the gryphon

the gryphon New Member

Okay, a silly question: are sponges still available? I had the idea (from Sienfeld) that they weren't. I've never used one...

14. GreenTea

That Seinfeld episode was made when the sponge was taken off the U.S. market (for corporate reasons, not anything to do with safety or effectiveness). It's back now--I've seen them in Walgreen's.

15. Cami

Cami New Member

i use the "Today Sponge" here in Canada and my partner and i quite enjoy it!

16. the gryphon

the gryphon New Member

YAY. We looked them up on drugstore.com last night and they are NOT cheap.... worth it? I had my mirena removed, and we're going to use condoms + something for a while. I've been using VCF, but dislike the "time limit" :)

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I used a diaphragm for about six months. I liked it at first but I must have had about three yeast infections in that small time frame (which I had never had before)! Also...I had never had a UTI so when I started getting the symptoms of one...I did not know it...I let it go too long and ended up with a Kidney infection...VERY PAINFUL.

The Dr. told me that UTI's are very common in women that use diaphragms because the tube that carries urine from the bladder can get squeezed from the diaphragm which causes bacteria to back-up.

So, if you use one, make sure you try to empty your bladder completely!!! I ended up in the emergency room with mine. Also...yeast infections.....YUCK!!! NO FUN!

18. the gryphon

the gryphon New Member

Lise, thanks for the info on your experience with the diaphragm. It seems every form of BC has its pros and cons.... maybe my bf will get snipped. (grin).

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Cami...you mentioned you use the "Today" sponge. I just started using them after going off the pill.

My question is this, have you ever had a hard time removing it? This morning when I went to remove mine...I could not get a hold of the elastic strap thingy. Well, needless to say...after much manuevering...I finally got it out.

Is there a trick to this? I swear I thought I was going to have to go the e-room this morning.

20. the gryphon

the gryphon New Member

Lise, were you "bearing down"? I find with things like menstrual cups etc, it's easier to remove them if i push.